Seulgi

When Two Worlds Meet
Seulgi

 

Everyone is a believer in what they're doing, otherwise, you wouldn't be doing it.

My day began at 8am, like every other day. Overtime it's become a struggle, but I have to force myself because it's the only way forward. There's no use staying in bed, dreading the day ahead. You have to think in the moment. Don't linger too long over what's going  to happen next. You'll only get lost in the present.

I smile to myself, remembering my mother's words the day I left home to be an intern at my father's company. She's the only person who understands me; she's all I had. But now she's not here.

Don't linger too long remembering the past. I whisper. You'll only upset yourself.

I hear my name being yelled and quickly hurry myself. I feel so much slower today for some reason.

I pull my hair into a tight bun, brush off my clothes, and rush downstairs. My father owns a brand distributing company and I was immediately brought here to work as an intern, but I feel more like an employee than anything else. As I'm the daughter of the CEO and unable to speak to people my age out of a lack of practice, the other interns have labelled me as a 'sad stuck-up who can't talk' and have nothing to do with me. My father is often busy and never has time for me, so I'm very alone. I keep to myself and I barely talk to anyone, so I suppose it's somewhat my fault as well. The only person I could really call a 'friend' is the kind caretaker lady who I met on my first day (I tripped going up the steep staircase to my room, and she was kind enough to help me while the other interns laughed), but I still don't feel comfortable enough to talk to her about my troubles.

I struggle not to cry myself to sleep at night.

'God, there you are. What took you so long?'

'Sorry..' I exclaim breathlessly as I rush into the office. I didn't bother explaining myself. She wouldn't have listened anyway.

'Seulgi, you can make yourself useful and leave these parcels to Choi Minyoung in the post office down the street.'

Jung Dahyun. Executive secretary and the bossiest, least cheerful person on the planet.

'Yes... of course,' I said slowly, wondering why she was asking me to do this. My Monday schedule does not contain delivery work last time I checked.

'Irene is sick today,' she said with pressed lips, almost like an explanation was an effort and unnecessary.

'Ah! Okay.' I wasn't quite sure who Irene was, but then again I barely associate with anyone.

'Be back in 5 minutes,' she said sternly, already back to typing.

I nodded meekly and lifted the heavy package, wanting to get out as soon as possible, but I clumsily tripped on my own feet trying to turn towards the door and landed on the floor with a thud. The package burst open and papers flew everywhere.

I heard Dahyun sigh heavily. 'And do be careful about it.'

Stifled giggles erupted from the desks around me. Cheeks reddening, I scurried to gather up the papers and rushed out, ignoring the other interns' smirks and elbow-nudges.

I found my battered up bike in the garage and dumped the package into the basket. I have to say, it felt quite nice to cycle outside in the fresh morning air. I rarely get to use my bike for enjoyment these days and I miss the times when I was free to do whatever I liked. Because, to be honest.... I hate working in that company. I constantly feel cramped, like I can't breathe. I have no space to be myself and not a friend in the world. I'm constantly being downgraded and made to feel I'm not doing a good job when I'm trying so hard. But I only have to work there 6 more months and then I'm free.

I'm someone you would call a dreamer. I don't have a definite path in life. I don't know what I want to do when I leave the company and the future terrifies me. I'm an idealist, guided more by ideals than by practical considerations.

I screeched to a halt at the traffic lights and waited patiently, watching the pedestrians crossing on the zebra line. They looked to be mostly on their way to work and school. I smile at some young children, jumping on each white stripe of the zebra crossing, flashing my mind with memories of my childhood. I shake my head vigorously and focus on the blaring red of the traffic light.

A sharp gleam from the sun irritated my eyes as it shone on a window on the building next to me. Park Brands Institute. The God of all businesses. It's probably 10  times the size of my own father's company, and the company's building takes up the entire street.  They basically create and launch brands and distribute them to different companies, like my father's company, but bigger. If a company is under their 'label', half the funds go to them. Unfair, but that's how it works. Going to a branding company is one of the only ways to get yourself a name nowadays and people get desperate. My father's company is independant just because it's been around for donkey's years, much longer than Park Brands. It's owned by the top CEO in the country, Park Chanwoo. He's a mysterious figure who has a total lack of empathy for any human. He has one daughter and her name is Park Sooyoung. I've heard she's nearly as rich as her father. Her life must be so perfect.....

The light went green and I started pedalling. Ever since Park Brands was built my father's company has suffered a lot, mostly because of the location. People see the giant shining promise before our small, slightly shabby looking affiance. And it's funny, because we basically do the exact same thing. But appearance comes first, I suppose.

I soon arrived at the post office and apologetically handed over the ripped package to Minyoung, who looked at it with raised eyebrows. I scribbled signatures and paid for the parcel, appreciating time out of the cramped building. It ended all too quickly and all of a sudden I was back out, fiddling with the lock on my bike. I climbed onto it and turn around, ready to cycle back, when I stopped. Should I just.... not go back? The sun was shining and the cool air felt so refreshing, and the thought of going back to where I would surely just be laughed at again put me off the idea. This was my chance. I lingered on the side of the pavement, dressed in uncertainty. I never considered mitching like this before. Sure, I thought about it, and I wished I could do it, but I was never in the spot where I might actually do it. I was just about to turn my bicycle around and cycle in the opposite direction to the company when I spotted some familiar looking interns speeding down on their bikes, on delivery schedule. Now, I don't know everybody at my father's company, but everybody knows me. The CEO Mr. Kang's daughter. The quiet one with a messy bun who never says a word. The clumsy girl who always has her head in the clouds. The dreamer who nobody knows a thing about. If they see me pedalling down the street in the other direction, they would surely tell someone on me. Everybody knows me, but none of them like me. 

And it was something about the long blonde braids and fresh, youthful face of one intern sat on her bike that caused a voice inside me to say Don't give up.

I reluctantly cycled back the way I came and locked my bike back up in the garage. I was so close.