4 and 5

Evanesce

Kyungsoo was always described as an odd child. He often kept to himself and instead of playing outside, getting himself dirty with mud and dust like the other kids his age, he opted to read, color, and write. You could say he’s on the other end of the spectrum. The introvert side. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t have any friends. After all, he had Jongin.


 

The five years old was busy coloring his book when his mother called his attention. “Kyungsoo-yah, come outside and play. The sun is shining brightly and it’s the perfect weather to go outside.” The five year old furrowed his brows, a confused look present on his face. His mom was talking way too fast for the young but brilliant mind of Kyungsoo to comprehend. “Mama?” He left his table and wobbly walked to the patio. “Mama? You called Kyungsoo no- me?” He struggled to get the words out. His mother saw the little boy and looked at him with a fond smile painting her features she then proceeded to pick Kyungsoo up and twirled him around. The young boy’s laughter could cure even the incurable diseases, that’s how precious her Kyungsoo is.

 

“Why don’t you go play outside?” Kyungsoo’s mother put him down and pointed outside mimicking a run. Kyungsoo’s face dawned with understanding. He then pouted and shook his head. “I don’t want.” He then left his mother and proceeded to finish coloring his book. Just as he was about to flip the next page he hears a ‘psst’. He looked up from his coloring book and searched for the voice, he didn’t see anyone so naturally the young one got scared.

 

“W-Who’s there?” His voice was tinged with fear. He slowly started to stand up and was about to run to his mother when a boy his age went out from the storage closet. He was beaming at the teary-eyed Kyungsoo.

 

“Got you!” He then laughed, seeing Kyungsoo’s state. The latter scrunched his face in confusion, the fear he once felt sizzled out as he saw the warm smile on the boy. The boy’s skin was a shade darker than Kyungsoo’s and he had a warm smile and kind eyes.

 

“Who are you?” Kyungsoo hesitantly walked closer to the tan boy, too curious for his own good but not enough to ask him how he got inside Kyungsoo’s house.

 

“Jongin. Who you?” Jongin once again flashed him a bright smile and waved his hand at the ever confused Kyungsoo. He just stared at the beaming boy, a questioning look on his eyes.

“Who are you. Not who you. I’m Kyungsoo. I’m five.” He held out his five fingers and shyly smiled back at Jongin. The latter giggled as Kyungsoo also waved his raised hand albeit a bit awkwardly.

 

“Me is four, hyung.” Jongin let go of the elder’s hand and held out four of his own. Kyungsoo nodded but not before muttering “I’m. Not me.”

 

He then tried to grab Jongin’s hand. He was supposed to pull the younger one towards the table but he can’t seem to grab the other’s hand so he just motioned for him to follow Kyungsoo to where he was working on a while ago. He asked Jongin to sit beside him and then handed him some crayons of his own. Jongin giggled as a reply then shook his head. “Hyung color. Jongin watch.” The younger one replied with his usual bright smile then urged him to continue coloring.

 

Kyungsoo just smiled at younger one before gently correcting him just like how his mother taught him. “Hyung will color. Jongin will watch. Okay?” Jongin enthusiastically nodded his head and tried to copy the words Kyungsoo just uttered. The latter only laughed at his antics and they continued on their play date.

 

Naturally, Kyungsoo was a shy boy so him dragging Jongin and actually befriending the younger was a miracle itself. Unbeknownst to him, his mother was watching the entire scene unfold wondering why his son was talking to himself.