Sun and Sun

Second Lead

It wasn’t an unfamiliar sight to see Byulyi, with her droopy eyes and drool-stained lips, fondly gazing at her best friend. Early mornings like this had long been a hobby of hers though she really wasn’t sure when it started.

Lifting a hand up to Yongsun’s face, she gingerly tucked the lost fringe behind her ear before caressing her remarkable plump cheeks.

“Yong-,“ she stopped herself mid-sentence when the memory of the previous horrendous night flashed in her mind.

That filthy bastard. Byulyi tried to calm the inner turmoil brewing up in her abdomen; and, luckily, with the thought of Yongsun’s impending hangover, she eventually set aside the murderous plans she mustered at that short lapse of time.

With careful steps, she managed to shed herself off the bed and out the living room without waking the older woman up.

The first thing she did was check the refrigerator—see if there was anything edible to cook, however seems that it has been too long since they went out grocery shopping because only a few eggs and a container of leftover kimchi were there.

Should probably hit the shop soon with Yong or else we’ll be having takeouts all day soon. The empty fridge reminded her of the week they were too busy to stock up and only ate junk foods in general. A regretful sigh flew past her lips when she remembered how much she gained just from that week of unhealthiness although the bigger problem after that week was the elder’s childish tantrum over the same reason.

Shaking her head to rid of reminiscence, Byulyi grabbed her hoodie and keys, which were messily strewn over the counter, then left the place. But before she exited, she made sure to leave a hangover pill and a glass of water by the nightstand as well as attached a simple note saying drink this to ease your hangover and I’ll be back soon on the lamp.

Byulyi brazenly barreled the cold morning breeze on the way the convenience store. It may have not been the best place to buy ingredients but it was the nearest and (hopefully) she could make do with what it has to offer.

Truthfully, she was no better than a dimwitted cook; so, she opted for a really simple dish of canned chicken broth to be added with eggs and garnished with greens later on.

The queue to the checkout was very short, in fact only one was ahead of her.

“I promise I’ll be back later for the remaining, mister!”

“How can I guarantee that? I’m sure there are better ways to settle this,” the clerk looking to be at his mid-thirties implied suggestively.

“My house is just around the block, I swear. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“Hmm? Then can I just get your number… just to make sure, you know?”

The hooded lady audibly groaned as she vigorously rubbed her face in frustration whilst the man curved a erted smirk as he slid his phone up the counter.

Byulyi frowned at the disturbing sight before courageously stepping up and pulling the woman by her shoulders behind.

“How much is she short of?”

“Hey, hey, hey. Have you no manners? Get in line and don’t interrupt a conversation,” said the man in clear distaste as he looked at the woman behind her using that erted eyes again.

“One more chance. How much is she short of?” The seething irritation was becoming visible in Byulyi’s voice.

“You don’t have to ing know, . Can’t you mind your own business and get back up the ing line?”

If Byulyi was any more aggravated than she was right now, she would have jumped over the counter and beat him up; but, that would do no good to her reputation so she simply remained at bay.

With a taunting scoff and smirk, she dropped her basket at the counter then walked closer his face. “Before I lecture you about basic consumer rights and make you lose this job, I will give you one last ing chance. How much is she short of?

At that moment, recognition flashed in his orbs followed instantly by fear. How could he have not recognized Moon Byulyi at first glance? She had been the sole reason he was even here instead of illegally busking and earning almost nothing.

“I-I’m sorry. I’m n-not, ,” he stammered as he dropped his head low in shame.

“Shh… don’t even bother. Just bag my things up and here,” she interjected before plucking a few bills from her wallet. The last thing she wanted was to add another person on the list to know of her real background.

Once done with the packing, she rushed out the place to return back her dorm.

“W-wait! Miss!” An intriguingly resonant voice made Byulyi peek back and she was given a sight of a panting woman, obviously struggling to catch up with her. Being a benevolent woman, she obviously stopped at her tracks to let the stranger sneak a few breathers before talking.

“Yes?”

“Thank you back there. It was very cool of you,” the hooded lady said gratefully after drinking from her water bottle.

“Everyone would’ve done the same if they saw the scene,” she casually shrugged.

“That’s not true. I’ve been there before yet nobody stood up for me the same way you did.”

“At that same store?” Byulyi’s eyebrows furrowed and the thought of firing that man crossed her mind.

“No. It’s my first time there. I was talking about other places,” she bashfully confessed before pulling the hood off her head, revealing an above par beauty.

“Oh. So you usually shop knowing you have no money with you?” a hint of suspicion enveloped Byulyi’s voice.

“Of course not! I just have some days, you know.”

“If you say so,” she replied, dropping the idea off because it seems that the stranger was decent although a part of her knew not to conclude base on appearance.

“Trust me, I swear!” Byulyi narrowed her eyes at the obvious defensive tone. “Oh god! Trust me. In fact here, why don’t you type in your number and I’ll call you later this week to pay you back?” The stranger said whilst offering her phone.

“I believe you. No need to go out of your way to pay me back,” said Byulyi with an amused expression on her visage.

“I insist. There’s nothing free in this world, I believe.”

“Well, you got it wrong. There is something free in this world and an example of that was the moment back there.”

“Come on now. I really insist.”

“Is this just a ploy to get my number?” Byulyi impishly said as she resignedly grabbed the phone and input her number.

“Honestly, yes.” The truth made the silver-haired woman dazedly glance up the taller who lightly chuckled because of her reaction. “A part of it, yes, but I really want to pay you back too.”

Forcing a small cough, Byulyi retained her composure and continued to type her number before stuffing her hand back in her pocket.

“So what should I save you as?”

“Byulyi or Moon Byulyi, whatever you prefer.”

“Moon? Really?! Don’t you think we’re meant to be?”

“Huh? Why is that so?” she asked, completely confused by the stranger’s musings.

“I am Lee Sunmi. See that! Sun and Moon! Isn’t that cool?” Sunmi said as she pointed at the shorter then at her with a silly grin on her lips.

Byulyi momentarily frowned at the analogy as it made her remember about her best friend she left back at home.

“Cool it is. Say let’s continue this another time. I need to go. Bye!” She swiftly bid adieu as she sprinted away—unbothered by Sunmi’s possible negative impression of her. She would’ve exerted more effort to leave a good mark but Yongsun was way up her priority list for her to even think about anything else.

“Let’s make the eclipse last a little longer next time, Moon Byulyi-ssi,” the long-haired beauty said as she watched the vanishing figure ahead of her before walking back home by herself.

When Byulyi arrived the dorm, she was relieved to discover Yongsun was still deep in her sleep. Instead of idling around, she used the lonesome hour to prepare the soup dish whilst humming a random tune to fill the silence.

A pinch of salt and pepper were added atop the soup before she carried the bowl to the bedroom. To say she was shocked was understatement when she found the bed empty and she heard gagging sounds by the bathroom. Byulyi immediately dropped the bowl by the study desk and jogged over the bathroom.

Yongsun was slumped carelessly on the tiled floors as she leaned to the toilet bowl with her arms supporting her head.

Having no time to even utter a curse, Byulyi briskly kneeled by the elder’s side and pulled her hair up as if her hand was a makeshift hair tie.

“There, there,” she cooed gently as her free hand gingerly caressed Yongsun’s back causing another wave of vomit.

Dried tears were apparent on the brunette’s face as she groggily looked at the very worried Byulyi. At that second fresh tears flowed out her eyes again and she wrapped her arms around Byulyi’s neck.

“Shh… it’s okay, unnie. You’re going to be fine,” she whispered while continuing to caress Yongsun’s back.

“B-but it isn’t… I-I’m-“ The elder’s hoarse voice was cut off abrupt with a sob and Byulyi’s shriek.

“You’re pregnant?!” So that’s why she found a box of pregnancy test a few days ago. Byulyi was beyond shocked at the revelation. “D-don’t worry, unnie. I’m here. Always here,” she said as she tried to hide the shock and disappointment in her voice.

Another sob filled the bathroom and Byulyi could do nothing but comfort the elder with her embrace.

 

 


Author's Note:

Late on the update so expect another in few day's time. Anyway, what do you guys think about Sunmi? Should we explore uncharted territories even with Yongsun's pregnancy? ;) Also, I'm looking for someone who can make a cover for me. Any work submitted (if there will even be one) will be included in the foreword, and of course, the best would be used as the main cover. Thank you for everyone who'd be willing. :)

Don't forget to leave a comment-- reaction, critique, suggestion, etc. I would much more appreciate it than silently reading. <3