Knowledge over Ignorance

Second Lead

It was beyond midnight when they reached home—both stumbling over each other’s feet as they raced each other inside.

“You lost again, Byul. Why are you so slow?” Yongsun asked as she dropped herself to the couch, heavily panting after the unexpected workout.

“Maybe it’s just because I love seeing your triumphant expression?”

The elder can’t even wince at Byulyi’s greasy reply because of her exhaustion, but for some reason, she had enough strength to hit her shoulder repeatedly albeit lightly. Byulyi laughed remorsefully against the pitiful attempts before scooting farther from the former.

“I was just kidding. You were just too fast, unnie,” she reasoned. Honestly, it was a white lie because she could have easily preceded Yongsun if she willed herself to, but the bet where the stakes are being the housekeeper for three days smothered her determination. She knew just how much Yongsun loathed house chores, and it would have been more of a hell hearing Yongsun muttering strings of colorful words whilst working than watching Yongsun lounging whilst she was working.

“Maybe I should join the track and field and replace you. They don’t deserve a dubbed MVP losing to a non-athletic person,” she teased despite wandering if Byulyi really did just let her win. She dropped the idea however when she remembered about the bet, who would even readily lose in exchange for cleaning the house, she thought.

“You just got lucky.”

“Lucky my . Ever since we started this, you’ve only won once,” Yongsun said as she rolled her eyes.

Byulyi then mimicked the action whilst laughing at their own immaturity before asking the latter, “You still going to bath?”

“If I say no, you’ll probably tease me to death again about my supposedly-but-not funky hair.”

“I will not! Since when did I do that?” she retorted with wide eyes, obviously faking the shock.

“Since… forever? Whatever,” Yongsun replied as she stretched her feet over the couch and lightly kicked the latter’s sides, which unfortunately was blocked quickly. “Just go ahead. I’ll follow.”

“What?! You’ll follow?” Byulyi’s cheeks rampantly blushed at her words, the previously fake shock turned real, earning laughter from Yongsun.

“Don’t think green. I meant to say I’ll follow after you’re done,” she clarified, still laughing.

Byulyi hung her head low in embarrassment before muttering, “You should’ve said it clearly,” which Yongsun was somehow able to pick up—increasing her laughter by a notch.

“It isn’t my fault that you’re a ert,” she retorted.

Byulyi groaned in defeat as she threw a pillow over the elder, effectively stopping her mirth, before stomping her way to the comfort room like a child throwing tantrums to take her quick shower.

The sight of Byulyi’s (adorable) childish actions sparked Yongsun’s glee again, letting out a boisterous cackle before calming down slowly when she heard her phone beeped, signaling a new message.

It took only a few minutes before Byulyi was out and about in her fresh pajamas—the refreshing breeze of the cold weather circulating in their bedroom making her jump under the covers.

In less than a second, Byulyi felt drowsy and was about to succumb to the darkness when she was alerted by a vibration on the nightstand. She peeked from her covers and found out it came from Yongsun’s phone.

Thinking that it might be emergency, considering how late it was, she checked the message.

Are you asleep baby?

The text was replaced again when it vibrated.

I miss you. Goodnight, love you! <3

A frown quickly etched on Byulyi’s forehead as she read the messages—ineligible jealousy seeping inside her, efficiently wiping any trace of sleepiness her body so craved earlier.

Yongsun hadn’t told her anything about having a certain someone, not like she ever even asked anyway; but, they always conversed about each other’s days during sleepless nights, and heck even brightest days.

She knew Yongsun didn’t have an obligation to tell her right away about any of her flings (or boyfriends, as much as she disliked the term) but they were best friends!

The creaking sound from the bathroom’s door snapped Byulyi’s trance and she shifted her position, facing away the nightstand as if she hadn’t tried to pry over Yongsun’s business.

“Byul?” Yongsun’s soothing voice said, temporarily calming her nerves.

A gentle tap on her shoulder melted what’s left of her jumbled emotions, which she knew would come back gnawing at her later at the very moment Yongsun’s voice no longer occupies the brooding silence.

“Yes?” she replied as she turned to look at the elder.

“Your hair’s still wet. You should dry them,” Yongsun answered as she sat beside her—her own hair already dried from the bathroom’s hair blower.

“It’s fine. I’m tired.”

“Come on, Byul. You must dry them first before sleeping.”

“Unnie, it’s alright. Let’s just sleep.”

“No. Come here, I’ll dry them for you,” Yongsun sternly said, successfully managing to get Byulyi out the covers.

Byulyi slumped herself on the floor in front of her best friend as she childishly crossed her arms. She could have just disobeyed but the nagging that would soon come after wouldn’t let her sleep anyway.

Yongsun let out a quiet snicker at the action before reaching over for a towel and mildly rubbing the younger’s wet mane.

The vibration from the bedside table momentarily halted Yongsun’s action.

One smiling widely at the notification, whilst the other frowning deeply in contrast.

“Who was it?” Byulyi’s mouth asked without conscious volition.

The eyebrows of Yongsun raised at Byulyi’s tone but she shrugged it off, reasoning that she’s only having a fit because she forced her out the bed.

“Eddy oppa. He’s a senior in the music department. Do you know him?”

“Heard of him,” she answered. Honestly, Eddy was a bit popular due to his playboy tendencies in and out the college. Thinking about it, she quickly thought of the kind of relationship they probably had and asked to clarify, “Why’s he texting you? You guys friends?”

“We met just a week ago, I think? We’re friends but…”

The suspense almost threw Byulyi off the edge however that would have been better than hearing Yongsun’s next words.

“We’re getting there. He’s been courting me ever since, and I can’t wait to finally say yes to him after our date tomorrow.”

Byulyi smiled bitterly and she was never gladder than she is right now to not face the elder. It would have been a disaster if Yongsun found the sad emotions playing on her visage.

“How’d you know he isn’t just after you-know-what?”

Yongsun simply chuckled at her question, although the truth was she was a little offended; but, she was honestly grateful too that Byulyi was pondering on her well-being.

“I just know,” she shrugged as she continued drying Byulyi’s hair before adding, “I trust him when he said he’s changed.”

“Why?” The question seemed to escape before she managed to bit her tongue.

“Because he’s shown me nothing but that, also I think it’s inevitable to trust someone you love.”

“Does that mean…?”

“Yes, I think I love him. I mean I love him.”

Byulyi remained mum at the confession. She’d always known her position in Yongsun’s life, but she didn’t expect it would still hurt this much (or rather it would hurt this much) when the drawn lines are further defined.

Her pathetic back and forth conversation with her consciousness was cut abrupt with Yongsun’s, “Ta-da! All done! Let’s sleep.”

Byulyi replied with a weak nod as she waited a few seconds for Yongsun to lay under the covers first before turning off the lights.

Slipping between the covers, she laid on her back—staring at the dark void of the ceiling, silently wandering on her own dystopian world. Their previous conversation pricking at her heart every chance it gets.

“Good night, Byul,” Yongsun muttered as she instinctively curled an arm over the younger’s abdomen and used the latter’s arm as pillow.

Just how paradoxical was this. Yongsun was her salvation—her eye in the storm, her safe haven amidst war, and her rainbow after rain; but Yongsun had also became her destruction—her storm, war, rain all cramped in one.

A lone tear escaped her eyes soon followed by a river which she tried to stop by draping her arm over her face. Thankfully, Yongsun was then far gone into her slumber to even notice the erratic breathing nor the occasional sniffles of Byulyi.