-Jonghyun- Glimpse of Sunlight

The Feeding Dark

Jonghyun took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down. He hadn't managed to become the leader of this place by freaking out when things went pancake-shaped. He pulled out his lighter and flicked it. The Zippo caught on the first try, and a flame grew out of it. It didn't illuminate anything much, however. The couple of inches of water at his feet and the rest was darkness beyond the cone of light he held. He closed his eyes, spun in a circle for a second, stopped, and headed the way he wound up facing. He knew about the Underground. There was no point attempting to retrace his steps. 

Suddenly, something shot past him, making the flame dance wildly. He spun, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever it was, to no avail. He heard a rustling of what sounded like fabric, and another rush of wind. He thought for a second before closing the Zippo and putting it away, allowing the darkness to enfold him again. The rustling came again, slower this time, stopping near him. He could feel...SOMETHING...near him. Behind him. Ice cold hands covered his eyes. The last thought he had before he felt himself falling was that there was something off about those hands.

 

The water was gone. That was his first thought as he began to pull himself out of unconsciousness. His fingers, slightly stiff, felt around him. Only a slightly soft, solid feeling anywhere. He opened his eyes and closed them immediately, groaning. A memory kicked a neuron and his eyes flew open again as he pushed himself upward. 

Sunlight.

Sunlight was streaming through brick-shaped holes in the walls. Jonghyun ran to one of them, trying to shove his hand outside, to get someone's attention. 

"Hey! Hey!! Help me!!" 

He stopped shouting for a second and his eyes narrowed. It was quiet, TOO quiet for the busy scene he was seeing. He moved to the wall opposite and looked out a hole there. His eyes widened.

A completely different city faced him. A little boy, a lolli in his mouth, stopped in front of the hole, stood on his toes and peeked in. Jonghyun reached out and barely managed to touch his nose. He pulled back a bit, wrinkling his nose and giggling. Jonghyun shouted as loud as he could, but he made no move as if he'd heard. After a couple more seconds of peeking in, he turned and skipped off. Jonghyun moved to look out the hole nearest to that one.

A new scene. Judging from his limited English that he'd learned from Jongki's homework, it looked like America. A group of people were standing at the top of a staircase, taking turns doing tricks to the bottom. Suddenly, a hand wearing a fingerless glove grabbed the hole. A girl leaned down, brushing a pigtail out of the way in frustration as she adjusted her shoe. Jonghyun reached out and put his fingers atop hers. She stopped and peered into the hole. She could still feel his fingers, but he knew she couldn't see him. She called one of the guys over and they spoke in rapid English. He caught a few words: night, ghost, help. The guy nodded and skated back to his position and the girl whispered to him through the hole. All he could understand was help and not alone. Then, she moved her hand and skated to the guys, occasionally glancing back. 

It was the same with every hole. He'd begun to attempt to touch everyone he could, both as an attempt at figuring out what was going on and as a way of keeping himself occupied. He'd watched the skaters for a bit, saw a neighborhood basketball game, watched life go by. Once, he'd gained hope. A slender girl in what looked like an abandoned factory, taking notes and daydreaming. He'd touched her hand when she used the hole for balance and she'd pushed up her long sleeve and put her arm into the hole. He hit the wall in frustration as her arm vanished when it touched his end of the hole. After that, he'd turned away, moving up the tunnel, ducking under the beams that crossed it. After about 10 metres, the tunnel dead-ended. He turned and followed the tunnel as far as he could in the other direction. This time, it dead-ended at a large door. Jonghyun tried it, knowing that it probably wouldn't open. He was here for a reason, and he could guess what that was.

"You'll have to try harder than this."

He wasn't expecting an answer. He got one anyway.

"We'll see about that."

The voice sent shivers down his spine. The bastard that had taken him was using the voice of the Red Queen from the Resident Evil movies. The ONLY thing that freaked him out about that movie had been her voice. He kept himself in check though. No doubt whomever kidnapped him was watching. 

"What do you want?"

The ing voice GIGGLED and Jonghyun physically shuddered.

"You. Don't worry, I'll get what I want eventually."

He growled. "You underestimate how stubborn I am."

The voice giggled again. "And you underestimate how patient I can be."

Jonghyun slid down the wall. Something told him the conversation was over. He had to find a way out. He closed his eyes and allowed himself to drift into thought.