Outside

The Feeding Dark

Captain Park Jungsu paused in the lobby of the police station. He blinked and shuddered, a cold feeling sliding down his spine. Today wasn't going to be good. He knew, somehow, that things were about to go bad. He turned to the officer at the reception desk.

"Henry, we got the coffee machine fixed, right?" Please say yes, please say yes...

Henry nodded. "Yup. It's stronger than before too."

Jungsu just gave silent thanks to the java gods and nodded. "Good." He turned and started toward the bullpen.

"Captain..." Jungsu just closed his eyes. So it begins...

"Yes?" He turned back.

"Kim Jongki is in your office."

Jungsu stood there for a few second, blinking stupidly, his brain trying desperately to verify he was actually awake. "In my office? WILLINGLY?"

Henry nodded. "And he is not happy."

Jungsu rolled his eyes. "That doesn't surprise me." He turned toward the bullpen again.

"He's also not alone."

Jungsu just stopped, turned to the nearest wall, and softly hit his head against it. Multiple times. After a few seconds, he straightened up. "Thank you for the warning, Henry."

Henry nodded. "You got it, boss."

Jungsu turned back to the doors to the bullpen, took a deep breath, and strode in, looking like the boss man he was. He almost lost his composure when he saw the bullpen. 

All of his detective teams were busy. Hangeng and Sungmin were glassy-eyed, staring at a little old lady, who appeared to be showing them pictures of her grandchildren. The others, however, seemed exceptionally interested in what was being said to them. An middle-aged woman, a handkerchief in her hand, was talking to Siwon and Jongwoon. Donghee and Youngwoon were leaning forward, nodding, while a tough-looking woman in her late 20's spoke. Hyukjae and Donghae were blinking at a group of four young men, all but one obviously nursing hangovers, occasionally writing a note. Ryeowook handed a cup to a well-dressed young man and sat next to Kyuhyun as the young man started talking. Jungsu sighed and walked toward his office, taking a quick detour to the coffee machine. Pausing outside his office, Jungsu collected his thoughts and walked in.

 

He wasn't sure what to expect when Henry had said 'not alone', but he was most assuredly not expecting Jongki to be sitting in a chair completely surrounded by ahjummas and ahjussis. They all looked over when Jungsu opened the door and walked in. Jungsu didn't miss a beat, strolling behind his desk and eyeing the young man in the chair.

Kim Jongki was a younger version of his brother, that was for sure. He had his brother's strong jaw and deep puppy-dog eyes, eyes that Jungsu couldn't help but notice held the same innocence as Jonghyun's. He took a deep breath.

"What brings you here today, Jongki? Your brother's not in holding, so I assume that it's something else."

Jongki tensed when Jungsu mentioned holding. "He...he's really not here?"

The younger Kim's voice sounded so worried that Jungsu was taken aback. He shook his head. "He hasn't been arrested in some time now, in fact." He raised an eyebrow. What is this about?

Jongki took a deep breath. One of the ahjussis put his hand on Jongki's shoulder. "In that case, I need to report him missing, please."

Jungsu blinked for a second, then reached for his coffee cup and downed the hot liquid like a shot. He winced at the bitterness and the heat. , today's gonna be worse than I thought. He looked at Jongki, waiting for something, ANYTHING, to tell him this was some form of sick joke. When nothing seemed forthcoming, Jungsu sighed and pulled out a form.

"What makes you sure he's missing?" he asked as he began to fill out the form. He didn't need Jongki's help. He knew Jonghyun's stats well enough.

"He didn't come home last night."

Jungsu stopped writing and stared at Jongki. He resisted the urge to arrest him right then and there. Instead, he stood up, the form in his hand, and began pacing.

"You're telling me your brother, the king of the toughest gang in the city, didn't come home last night. And that's why you think he's missing?" Jungsu knew he was ranting. 

"Yes."

Jungsu laughed and glared at Jongki. "You're going to have to do better than that, kid." He grabbed the form, intending on ripping it apart before kicking Jongki and his 'horde' out of his office. "I mean seriously..."

"Last night was my birthday."

Jungsu stopped in mid-word and looked at Jongki with wide eyes. Jongki was struggling to keep his tough composure, but Jungsu could tell the 17 year old was about to burst into tears. Jungsu looked at the ahjummas and ahjussis. "I'll have to ask you to wait outside." They nodded and filed out. As soon as they were gone, Jungsu walked briskly from his office, grabbed another cup of coffee and a soda, then went back. Shutting the door, he locked it and pulled the shades, hiding the inside of the office from view. He handed the soda and a box of tissues to Jongki. Jongki looked up at him in surprise before taking both and letting his facade crack, silent tears sliding down his cheeks. Jungsu sat in his chair, letting Jongki release his emotions. He was pretty sure he didn't get to do this very often. While he waited for Jongki to be ready to talk, he continued filling out the missing form. When he'd finished, he looked at Jongki. Jongki sniffled a bit before starting to talk.

"What made you change your mind?"

Jungsu smiled a bit. "Has your brother ever mentioned me?" 

Jongki nodded. "That's...actually why I'm here. He told me that, if anything ever happened to him, to come see you and only you. But he never said why." He looked up curiously.

Jungsu stood up and peeked out the blinds into the bullpen. His second-in-command, Lieutenant Kim Heechul, was recieving a report from one of the desk officers on the opposite side of the pen. His detectives were still talking to the same people they had been when he'd gotten in. He dropped the blinds. 

"I've known your brother for about 9 years now." He glanced at Jongki and saw his surprise. "I was just a rookie then, thinking I was going to clean up the streets. My first arrest was your brother." Jungsu sat back down. "It was a school day, and I saw him outside. I didn't even radio in, thinking this was going to be easy." He chuckled. "Your brother, only 13 at the time, kicked my ." Jongki laughed. "True story. I got angry, chased him, and arrested him. Threw him in my cruiser and started back here." He tilted his head, remembering. "We started talking when we got stuck in traffic. He told me about his foster family and about you. How he'd run away and found you, how he'd taken you away and was raising you. All because they refused to find a family that would take you both." Jongki's eyes widened. "Yeah, seems odd, telling everything to a cop, but your brother did. I realized something then. This job is made of choices. He blatantly refused to tell me where you were. I could take him in, risk him running and risk your life too, or..." Jongki tilted his head. "I could let him go."

Jungsu sipped his coffee. "I let him go. The next time I ran into him, I was a lieutenant in line for captain, and he'd just managed to make a name for himself by fighting his way to top of the toughest gang in the city." Jongki nodded. He knew about then. "We talked again, and I made him a deal. I'd leave him alone, except when he was involved in the gang fights and whatnot. In return, he'd keep me posted as to where I might want to send extra patrols." Jongki's eyes bugged out of his head. Jungsu laughed. "Yeah, your brother was working with us, in a way. And it's been a great partnership ever since." 

He took a deep breath. "There's one thing I know about your brother more than anything, and that's how much he adores you. There's no was in hell he'd miss your  birthday. Ever." He held up the form. "I'll get this out to everyone."

Jongki nodded and took a deep breath. Jungsu peeked outside again. "Those ahjummas and ahjussis taking care of you?" Jongki nodded. "And who's your brother's second in command?"

Jongki answered without hesitation. "Yong Seongchang."

Jungsu nodded. "Seongwon, huh?" Jongki looked surprised at Jungsu knowing Seongchang's tag. "Your brother's told me about him. I've met him a couple times too. Do me a favor. When you leave, let Seongwon know he'll be getting 'arrested' today, ok? Make sure no one else overhears though." Jongki looked startled, but nodded. "Alright. I'll get this out as soon as possible."

Jongki nodded again and stood up. He faced Jungsu and bowed low. "Thank you, Captain Park."

Jungsu put a hand on his shoulder. "You're more than welcome." Jongki smiled a bit and walked out, immediately getting fussed at by the ahjummas and ahjussis. Now Jungsu could remember where he'd seen some of them. They were store owners in Jonghyun's territory. He smiled slightly, then turned his attention back to the pen. Heechul and every single detective was standing up and headed his direction. He rolled his eyes and walked into the conference room.

Jungsu was joined at the front by Heechul while they waited for the others to settle in. "Couple of patrol officers said there were some kids hanging around outside."

"All blonde? Wearing identical jackets in different colors?" Heechul nodded. "Those are Jongki's boys. Jonghyun decided it was time he had his own." Heechul was the only other person in the precinct that knew about Jungsu's deal with Jonghyun.

Heechul smiled. "Pretty good-looking group he's got, then." He pulled out his phone and showed Jungsu a pic he'd taken. Jungsu nodded in approval before turning his attention to the detectives. They were almost done settling in. 

"Talk to me."

Hangeng shook his head. "After we managed to get our lady to shut up about her kids and grandkids, she told us she wanted to report that her neighbor's cat was peeing in her garden. Apparently, the neighbors feed the cat cheap food, because it smells like ammonia." Sungmin was busily 'hanging' himself with his tie. Everyone else chuckled a bit.

Jungsu laughed. "Kangin?"

Youngwoon shuffled his notes. "Missing person.  One Lee Jinki, age 23, last heard from yesterday afternoon. One of our own." At that, Jungsu looked surprised. "Zhoumi confirmed it. He was supposed to start work this afternoon in dispatch. Was supposed to meet with an apartment manager yesterday. Never made it. Reported missing by his sister. Anything to add, Shindong?" Donghee shook his head.

Jungsu frowned. "Siwon?"

"Yesung and I talked to a Mrs. Lee. Her son, Lee Taemin, age 18, went missing yesterday morning on his way to work. His mother says there's no way he would have run away."

God no. PLEASE no. He looked at Eunhyuk. Everyone else did too. He knew what they were thinking. Eunhyuk and Donghae's eyes were sad.

"Missing person as well. Choi Minho, age 20, went missing last night. Reported by his band members and roommate."

I'm ing begging. Please...

Ryeowook bowed his head. "Missing person. Kim Kibum, age 20. Last seen at the Choi department store on 6th street. Reported by his personal assistant."

you, today. you right in the with a sharp stick. Heechul looked over as Jungsu bowed his head.

"Missing person. Kim Jonghyun, age 21. Last seen yesterday evening. Reported by his brother." Murmurs went around the table. Not again. Jungsu took a deep breath and looked at his detectives. 

"Alright. Hangeng, Sungmin. You two start asking around shops and restaurants between 23rd and 45th streets and Market and Main." He grabbed a magnet and hung up a picture of Jonghyun. "Grab copies of this and ask around. Find out who saw him last." They nodded and hurried off. "Shindong, Kangin. You two said he was supposed to meet an apartment guy, right? Go there, see about survellience cameras if any, talk to the manager. Canvass and find out if anyone saw him even near the apartments. We gotta narrow down where he vanished." They took off. "Eunhyuk, Donghae. Canvass the bar they played at and everyone along the path back to his apartment." They left. "Ryeowook, Kyuhyun. Get the video survelliance from Choi's over to Kibum, then canvass the area. See if anyone saw him leave."

Jungsu turned to Heechul as Ryeowook and Kyuhyun walked out. Heechul spoke before he could. "I should have known today was going to be hell. I had a feeling." Heechul grabbed the pictures that had been given to the detectives and hung them up on the board. "I'll make the timelines that we know from the notes."

Jungsu just nodded and left, leaving Heechul to his specialty. He wandered down the hallway to IT and slid inside. The young man sitting at the computer didn't even look up. "Hard day already, boss?"

Jungsu nodded. "Yeah. Be ready, you'll be getting video from at least one scene." He took a breath. "It's happened again."

This caused Kibum to turn, eyes wide. "More?" Jungsu nodded. Kibum's eyes grew determined. "I'll be ready." 

Jungsu nodded again, and went back to his office. He stood looking out the window over the city.

Today's going to be hell...

 

 

 

[A/N: For those of you wondering, these are all SuJu. I just used their real names. Their stage names come in as call signs for those what have them. (Shindong, Kangin, Yesung, etc.) And yes, Jungsu IS Leeteuk.

And for those who don't know or weren't sure, yes, the boys making up Jongki's gang are B.A.P.

And yeah, that's what they're wearing.

As always, comments are adored, loved and appreciated beyond belief!!! <3]