Rules Of The Game

We'll Meet Again in Paradise

Order seemed to return to his life as autumn passed. Hongbin would wake up in the morning and get dressed, then head to the Main Hall as he gradually resumed his official duties as the marquis. He tried to ignore the nagging feeling in his heart whenever he passed by the lake, hoping that his emotions - just as heavy as the stones he'd used to throw - could one day sink to the very bottom of his heart and never resurface again. But like wildfire, the tingling sensation in his chest threatened to take over his head whenever he caught Sanghyuk's gaze from the top of the podium. The mere two milliseconds of eye contact was like a drug and it kept him addicted, but it seemed to him that the dosage was alright as long as it didn't kill him - just yet.

No one mentioned a word about Jinwoon. Hongbin never saw her again, nor heard any news about said marriage. He hoped it would remain like that forever. After all, they were all chess pieces caught in a stalemate. If Jinwoon made the next move toward the King, Hongbin knew he would swoop in in no time to block her path. It was something a small chess pawn like him would risk his life for - except that it would nevertheless be an illegal move for him.

He couldn't do that. He couldn't reveal his true desires towards Sanghyuk, especially if they were utterly sinful feelings to harbour. There just was no such move for him to take. If wanted to remain in the game, he needed to obey the rules. Ultimately, they were the rules of his society, and they couldn't be broken, could they?

Hongbin no longer looked Sanghyuk up outside of official meetings. He wanted to hear, straight from Sanghyuk's lips, if Jinwoon truly was to be the Imperial Consort, but beyond his curiosity, he was more afraid of what the truth could be. Fortunately, the affairs of the state were enough to keep Sanghyuk occupied for the moment, and Hongbin figured that he could stall for more time before finally confronting the king about it.

More importantly, for someone who had finally just returned to court after such a long break (or ban), Hongbin definitely had a lot of news to catch up with.

It was a chilly morning as Hongbin watched the court break into a collection of anxious whispers, as though the battles at the southern borders that had been ongoing for a month were already not a cause for worry.

"The Great Nam Bridge has collapsed, Your Majesty."

A deep frowned formed on Sanghyuk's brows, an expression that had gradually grown to be a common sight on his face ever since he took over as the head of the country. It was, however, still a fresh sight for the marquis, who watched the emperor carefully and respectfully from afar, still not used to seeing the way frustration clouded everyone's eyes upon hearing yet another piece of devastating news about the battles at the South.

"And...?"

"And I-I'm afraid that all ammunition, food and medical supply routes have since been cut off." The commander's voice shook with every word, the chatter from the floor growing louder and more chaotic. "The southern troops can only at most hold on...for another t-two weeks...with the remaining supplies, Y-your Majesty."

The frown on Sanghyuk's face had become so deep, it seemed to have been embedded in his browbone. He stayed silent, biting his lips in deep thought.

"And there isn't an alternative route?" The brief silence that rang through the hall answered his queries instantly.

Sanghyuk closed his eyes and exhaled loudly. "You've got to be kidding me. No military head arranges just a single supply path for his troops!"

Hongbin's pupils widened a little. The way Sanghyuk snapped at his subjects - as long as it was not at Hongbin himself - made him look cool and suave. Hongbin knew it was definitely not the right time to swoon over the king, but an entire season away from court had almost made him forget how Sanghyuk was really no longer his submissive servant. He made brief eye contact with the emperor, and once again, it roused the tingling sensation in his chest. He quickly looked away, retreating to a corner. It was too addicting, too dangerous for his heart. In that moment, he needed to collect his feelings and force them back to the inner depths of his mind where they belonged. He needed to stay serious.

"There were originally three different routes, Your Majesty. But...all-all of them converge at the Great Nam Bridge." The commander dropped to his knees and begged for forgiveness, but the Second Prince - who had been silently parked at the back the whole time - stepped in front of him suddenly.

"Please simmer down, Your Majesty." Jaehyuk's voice was firm and stable, as though his confidence had not been eroded at all by the news. "From what I know, there is still a way to get to the southern troops, if you allow me to continue."

"Please do." Sanghyuk's voice always softened whenever he spoke to his Second Brother. Hongbin wondered when he'd ever get such special treatment to himself.

"There is a backup route via the West. The supplies will have to get through the province of Seojju, then through Pyeongyeo. The journey could take up to three days longer, but I think it's still feasible."

Hongbin's ears perked up upon hearing the names of provinces he knew all too well. He shifted his feet uncomfortably and listened silently from the corner.

"That means we'd have to alert the military base in the West?" Sanghyuk raised his eyebrow, finally relieving his tense facial muscles.

"I believe so, Your Majesty."

Hongbin kept his eyes fixed on the floor, but he felt Sanghyuk's gaze land on him once again. "And I believe this matter concerns you, marquis?"

Hongbin finally glanced up, noticing Jaehyuk's affirmative gaze on him. He stared at the Second Prince, then back at Sanghyuk, finally understanding what it all meant. The weight of a hundred pairs of eyes found him eventually, and before he knew it, he had leaped right back into work mode.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I'll see to that immediately."

 

-------

 

(A/N: Sorry, I've been so busy lately...)