I'll Let This Pass

We'll Meet Again in Paradise

Hongbin wandered about the marketplace in solitude, dazedly strolling from one store to the next. The buzz of the lively streets could not stifle the nagging feeling of emptiness in his heart, and he wondered how many more days it would take for Sanghyuk to recuperate.

His assistant had been bedridden for three weeks, refusing visits from any physicians. When asked how he was doing, Sanghyuk merely nodded his head, his curt replies not exceeding five words. It increasingly concerned Hongbin, who had begun to be puzzled by his strange behaviour.

He approached a small booth and absentmindedly picked up a small pouch lain upon the table. It was made of exquisite fabric, decorated with the fine embroidery of two phoenixes. He stared, entranced, at its craftsmanship, observing how every detail was sewn into silk with fine, amber thread that reminded him of sunset.

"What's in this?"

The store owner's eyes lit up. "It's healing powder, sir. A miracle concoction. Will treat any illnesses."

"Miracle?" Hongbin scoffed. "There's no such thing, old man."

The man smiled and shook his head. "It contains extracts from over a thousand herbs, sir. All sourced from the mountains of the North. Cures the strangest ailments." He crossed his arms and rested his hip against the table, scanning Hongbin from head to toe. "And from the looks of it, young man, I don't think it'll cost you much, if at all."

Hongbin smirked and gave a light nod, putting his hands behind his back. "Well...that's absolutely correct." 

He reached for a silver ingot in his sleeve and handed it to the old man, watching with contempt as his eyes grew upon the sight. The store owner waved his palms frantically. "That's too much, sir-"

"Keep the change," Hongbin shook his head, already beginning to walk away. He broke into a smug grin and inserted the pouch in the front compartment of his clothes, quickening his steps at the same time.

He returned to the palace within an hour. He sped down the long walkways that s around the palace grounds, leading him to his residence that was located in the western wing. As he eyed the silk pouch in his hand, he recalled the night he had spent with Sanghyuk in the woods.

"I think he'll like it," he mumbled softly and smiled to himself, oblivious to the unusual scurrying of officials and palace maids around the place.

He pushed the doors open to Sanghyuk's room, his heart sinking upon the sight of an empty bed. He did not remember his assistant being able to take more than a few steps without wincing and collapsing in pain. 

"Sanghyuk...?" he called. He searched around the residence and questioned a few maids, but to no avail. Increasingly disheartened by the man's absence, he wandered back to the main square, jumping in surprise as the royal eunuch appeared by the entrance.

"The Coronation Ceremony is about to begin, Your Highness," he bowed respectfully. "Please make your way to the Main Hall soon."

"Oh...right," Hongbin bit his lip. He wondered how such an important event had slipped his mind. 

He cast one last look around his residence before heading to his room to get dressed. Although the sudden decision for the emperor to retire had caused a huge uproar around the palace, he never truly paid much attention to the significance of the inauguration ceremony. 

"It's just a new emperor," he frowned to himself. "It's not as if anything will change."

Everything changed.

The Main Hall was the most crowded it had been in a while. From his position, Hongbin peered curiously at the back of the new monarch as he slowly ascended the stairs to the throne. His bright, golden robe seemed to glow under the afternoon sun, and his hair was bunned up in a tight knot under his huge crown. The pattern of a thousand dragons decorated the exquisite fabric as it flowed magnificently behind his moving heels, and he took every step with sturdy footing. The past two hours of ceremonial procedures had finally culminated in the final stage, and the court was to watch the young king finally ascend the throne.

Hongbin furrowed his eyebrows a little. Although he had never met the new king, he thought his frame looked a little familiar. 

Around him, the chatter of royal subjects filled the air. It was the Fifth Prince he was looking at, he learnt, the youngest son of Emperor Jeongjo. Hongbin had perhaps only met the First and Second Princes in his entire lifetime, having spent most of his life outside the capital in the western states of the country.

The hall fell silent as soon as the king reached the top of the podium. Hongbin followed as the people around him dropped to their knees, and the loud, hair-raising symphony of a thousand voices ensued. "Long live Your Majesty...!"

Hongbin kept his forehead pressed against the ground as he sensed the young king finally turn around to face his subjects.

"Please rise."

His voice was deep and it carried with it an air of haughtiness. Hongbin noted how it nevertheless sounded a little familiar beneath the confidence it exuded.

"Thank you," he chanted along with the several thousands before the throne, "Your Majesty." He lifted his head briefly and bowed once more, pinning his head to the ground.

He froze.

His eyebrows shot up and his mouth fell open. He sat up immediately to take another look.

What?

He glanced around in disbelief before gingerly raising a trembling finger at the man who was now eyeing him from the top of the throne. "H-he..."

"How dare you!" an official yelled beside him and pinned him back to the ground. "Don't ever point at His Majesty like that!"

He flailed his arms helplessly and forced himself back up. "No, no, wait," he turned to the official, slapping him frantically on his shoulder. "He's...Sang-Sanghyuk...?"

The man gasped in horror and cupped his hand over Hongbin's lips. "Don't you dare call His Majesty by his name!" his voice had fallen to a soft, hushed whisper.

Hongbin felt his eyes widen. Deranged, he peeled the official's fingers away from his lips and struggled to stand up, fighting against the many arms that had reached out to block him. "What Majesty??"

"Han Sanghyuk..." he stared hard at the king, begging the man for a response, but Sanghyuk only lowered his gaze and kept with a grim expression.

"What audacity!" snapped the eunuch. "Nobody talks to His Majesty like that!" He motioned to the guards. "Get him!"

Hongbin watched in horror as five men dashed toward him immediately. He stared at the emperor, who did not utter a single word. 

"No! Wait, please!" he yelled, raising his finger again. He shrugged off the sudden grasp of the palace guards on his shoulders, but his efforts were futile against their strength. "How could he b- "

"That's utter disrespect!" the eunuch shrilled. "Keep your finger down!"

Sanghyuk stayed silent. He turned away with his hands behind his back, avoiding Hongbin's gaze.

"Listen, please!" Hongbin shrieked as the guards began dragging him out of the hall. He kept his eyes pinned on the emperor, waiting for him to say something, but the man kept his gaze fixed on the ground. "Han Sanghyuk! Are you not going to help me??"

Sanghyuk took a deep breath and shut his eyes, refusing to move a muscle. Beside him, the royal eunuch crossed his arms at the marquis' absurd display of rudeness. "To the dungeon! Now...!" 

Hongbin felt his heart drop. "What??" He struggled harder beneath the guards' strong grip. "You can't!"

He winced in pain as the guards tightened their hold on him, their fingernails digging into his flesh. He felt like he was losing his strength. "Stop, you're hurti- "

"Just a moment." 

Hongbin froze. It was perhaps only the second time he had heard Sanghyuk's voice that day.

The emperor finally turned to face him, his gaze solemn and intimidating. He waved his hands at the guards and they retreated immediately. Hongbin quickly regained his footing and smoothed out the wrinkles in his robes.

"I'd advise you to show more respect, Marquis," Sanghyuk said quietly. 

Hongbin shook his head in disbelief. Sanghyuk seemed like an entirely different person. He opened his mouth to say something, but the emperor cut him off immediately.

"But on the account of today's occasion, Marquis, I'll let this pass." His voice was loud and firm.

The eunuch turned to the emperor and shook his head anxiously, but Sanghyuk silenced him with a glare. He motioned to the guards. "Let's go."

Hongbin watched in panic as the emperor took a few steps forward and started to descend the podium. "No! Sanghyuk!!"

The crowd split down the hall and dropped to their knees as the emperor headed past them for the gates, followed by a fleet of guards and palace maids. Hongbin felt himself being pulled to the ground, and with the grip of several officials against him, he could not approach Sanghyuk no matter how hard he tried.

The royal eunuch followed after the emperor reluctantly. He threw Hongbin a glare as he passed him. "Don't," he gritted his teeth, "do that ever again, Your Highness...!" 

Hongbin shook his head. "No! Sanghyuk! You can't go!" he yelled, flailing his arms helplessly. "You need to tell me what's going on!"

The king did not stop. He walked on and finally disappeared behind the gates, leaving Hongbin under the weight of countless eyes in the hall.