An Old Friend

We'll Meet Again in Paradise

Hongbin folded up his fan and knocked Sanghyuk lightly on his head, visibly cross about his assistant's way of doing things. "Do I need to remind you who I am?" 

Sanghyuk bowed his head apologetically. "You...you're the high and mighty West Marquis, sir."

"Then treat me like one," Hongbin cast him an annoyed look. "I hope you do not repeat your stupid mistakes again, Sanghyuk." He flung his fan open in a single, swift movement and turned back to admire the gardens of his new residence, allowing the wind to carry his long, black hair into the air. "If you're useless to me, I'll not hesitate to have you replaced."

Sanghyuk bit his lip. "Yes, sir."

It continued for two seasons. Sanghyuk followed behind Hongbin each day as the nobleman went about carrying out his royal duties. He silenced any officials who tried to point out his true identity, allowing everyone to watch in silent horror instead as Hongbin chided him over the most trivial matters. He slowly learnt, by heart, Hongbin's eating and sleeping habits, and often accompanied him to the woods to hunt in his free time.

Hongbin was colder and more aloof than he remembered. Sanghyuk, however, yearned to stay by his side, believing in his kinder and gentler nature. He hoped to awaken that aspect in him, though he was unsure himself why he was even so persistent.

"Sanghyuk," Hongbin muttered to him one day.

"Here, sir."

"Go get the checkers," he replied, his tone carrying with it the usual hint of aristocracy. "I'm bored."

Sanghyuk nodded and left hurriedly, returning in no time with the game pieces. He gingerly set them down on the stone table.

Hongbin pushed the back of his robe out of the way, allowing the exquisite fabric to flow behind him for a brief moment before he bent down and took a seat. 

"Sit down, Sanghyuk."

"M-me...?"

"Of course," Hongbin replied quietly, his eyes fixed on the game. "I'm not going to play against myself, you know."

Sanghyuk felt his fingers itch. Months of watching Hongbin play against other officials and aristocrats had aroused the inner strategist in him. He often fought hard against the desire to lean into Hongbin's ear and tell him the next smart move to take, but he always ended up choosing to shut his mouth instead, allowing himself to watch with helplessness as Hongbin slowly got defeated by his opponents.

"Sit down!" Hongbin repeated.

Sanghyuk finally complied. "Yes...sir."

They played five games till the sun set and the moon rose, and Sanghyuk won each one.

"You..." Hongbin furrowed his eyebrows and stared at Sanghyuk in the eye. "You're cleverer than you look."

Sanghyuk lowered his gaze in respect. "Thank you, sir. I...I often played with my brothers growing up."

"You have brothers?"

Sanghyuk bit his lip. "Yes, sir."

"Why haven't you..." Hongbin cocked his head, narrowing his eyes at Sanghyuk. "...ever advised me, then? You watched me lose my face in front of those people?"

Sanghyuk gulped. "I will from now on, sir."

Hongbin did not answer. He stood up and motioned for Sanghyuk to keep the game pieces, stifling a yawn as he turned to leave for his room. The sky had turned into a deep shade of blue, with a few stars peeking through.

"Have a good rest!" Sanghyuk called, but Hongbin continued to walk ahead. He kept his eyes fixed on Hongbin until the man disappeared behind the door. A small smile crept to his face and he jumped up and down in excitement.

"Finally," he grinned. "Some time to myself."

He edged to side of the moonlit lake and picked up a few pebbles. He flicked his wrist and hurled them skilfully onto the water surface, watching as the stones skipped thrice before disappearing into the lake.

"We used to play like this, Hongbin," he mumbled. "How I miss those times." He bent down and picked up a few more pebbles, throwing them with more and more force each time. "And now I play alone under the moonlight..."

"Enjoying yourself, aren't you?"

He jumped at sound of the familiar voice.

"Having fun on your own without me?" Hongbin took a few steps towards him with his arms crossed against his chest. Sanghyuk noticed that he had not yet changed into his sleepwear.

"I...No, sir. I'll go to bed right away."

He tried to move past Hongbin, but the older man reached out to block him. "I didn't say you could you leave."

Sanghyuk noticed that Hongbin was once again staring at him in the eye. He lowered his gaze and bit his lip. 

"I've been watching you for a while now, Sanghyuk," Hongbin began. "You remind me of an old friend."

Sanghyuk opened his mouth but said nothing.

Hongbin shrugged and bent down, scooping up a few small stones in his palm. "I'm still not convinced that I'm not better at my lowly servant at anything, Sanghyuk. Let's see who's more skillful at this." He hurled the stones into the water and they dipped beneath the surface with a small splash.

Sanghyuk bit his lip harder to stifle his chuckle. Hongbin's skills still had not improved even after more than a decade.

"I'll teach you, sir." He waited patiently for the prideful man to reject his offer, but Hongbin did not say anything. 

"The stone's surface has to be flat," he continued, handing Hongbin a pebble in his hand. "And make sure it strikes the water like that."

Hongbin gingerly took the stone from Sanghyuk's hands, noticing how smooth and delicate his servant's skin surprisingly was. He threw the stone across the lake and it skipped once before diving beneath the lake surface.

"It...works," he grinned, his dimples showing through his skin. It was a rare sight, given his usual stiff demeanour.

It was the first time Hongbin had smiled to him since his return to the palace. Sanghyuk felt a little warmth in his heart. His eyes lit up and he glanced back at Hongbin with a small grin.

"Who do you think you are?" the older man snapped. "It's rude to stare at me like that."

Sanghyuk gulped. He bowed apologetically and looked away.

Hongbin let out a small sigh. He gestured to the pebbles in Sanghyuk's hand. "Your turn."

Sanghyuk wanted to yawn, but he suppressed it through clenched teeth. He raised his arm and flung a stone into the lake, eyeing Hongbin from the corner of his eyes as the stone skipped across the water for what seemed like seven whole times.

There was a short silence.

"I'm...I'm impressed, Sanghyuk." His voice was softer than usual. "But I'm not giving up."

That night, more than two dozen pebbles had sunk to the bottom of the lake.

A fortnight passed, and Sanghyuk was suddenly summoned back to the Main Palace. He sneaked away from the marquis' residence as discreetly as he could.

"Father," Sanghyuk knelt before the emperor. "What is it?"

"You're not young anymore, Sanghyuk." His words sounded ominous. "Quit fooling around. It's time you came back to the residence. There are things that a prince needs to do."

Sanghyuk kept silent.

"I need to prepare you, Sanghyuk. Your work will concern the country. There is no time for you to be goofing around like that."

Sanghyuk balled his fists up. "I- I don't want to, Father."

"Don't you dare defy His Majesty!" the royal eunuch shrilled from a corner. He lowered his voice. "Please just listen, Your Highness. His Majesty's...illness is not getting any better."

The emperor cleared his throat. "I think you know what that means for you, Sanghyuk."

"But..." He frowned. "Why me, Father? I'm the Fifth Prince."

"And how does that matter?"

He shook his head. "Second Brother is better for the job."

The emperor leaned back against his royal seat. It was embellished, to great detail, with countless dragon carvings. He let out a long sigh. "This is precisely why I chose you, Sanghyuk. All your brothers want this throne for themselves, but you're different."

Sanghyuk bit his lip harder. Now, even being different gave him nothing but trouble.

"Heed my words, son. The necessary arrangements are already in the making. You need to return home soon. There are a lot of responsibilities awaiting you...You need to start concerning yourself with the affairs of the Imperial Court as soon as you can."