The Little Red - Part 2

The Sisters Grimm : Origins

 

As the projectiles flew towards Sowon, she just watched it as she saw her life flash before her eyes. She shielded her vision with her arms as she braced for impact. But Fenris quickly leaped in front of Sowon as he took the shot for her.

“No! Fenris...” Sowon cried out as the fireball landed a clean blow onto his pelt. 

Fenris slowly turned around to look at Sowon as he barked. Sowon took a look at her pet and realised that he was completely unharmed. Not even a single burnt was seen, she was completely surprised at the same time she was curious.

“How...did you even...how?” The men said as he tried shooting more fireballs as his partners start firing arrows. Fenris did not hesitate as he used his entire body and cover Sowon from head to toe, taking all the damage but without any reaction.

“Amazing...” Sowon said staring at her pet.

Fenris was given to Sowon on her first ever birthday as a gift from her mum, they grew up together, played together and even hunted together. They were inseparable. Her mother once told her that she had to always look after Fenris and treat him with love and care, and as time passes he will do the same.

She understood what her mother meant now. 

After the assault on Fenris ended, Fenris got off Sowon as he looked at his target. He growls fiercely as he flares his razor sharp teeth, his paws spreaded as his blade-like claws dug into the soil. The growl slowly turned into loud and challenging barks as he starts to move foward. But he stopped in his tracks after sensing that more men were heading their way.

He immediately turned around and moved to Sowon’s side. Knowing what Fenris was trying to do, she picked up her blade and hopped on quickly as the duo made their hasty escape.

“Thank you buddy...” Sowon whispered into Fenris’ ears as she planted a light kiss onto his head.

Their home was taken away from them, destroyed, everything she loved taken from her. Her friends and her family, wiped out by an unknown threat. But her vengeance was just about to begin.

The only place that she can go to was her grandmother’s house, which was where they were headed. Fenris ran as fast as he could, all he thought of was the safety of Sowon. 

Fenris came to a halt outside the house as Sowon jumped off and immediately ran to find her grandmother. She reached the entrance and saw that the door was destroyed.

“Grandma!” Sowon cried out as she ran in with Fenris following. The house looks as if it had been hit with a tornado with the furnitures and all her artifacts scattered across the floor.

Sowon kept searching the house until she came across something she never wanted to see. She walked into the kitchen and saw that her grandmother was on the floor lying above a pool of blood. Next to her was a lady in a red cloak and a matching red hood.

“NO!” Sowon shouted as she immediately took out her loaded crossbow, this caught the attention of the lady as she stood up and watched the girl.

“Do you even know how to use that crossbow?” The lady asked as she stood in front of Sowon.

“You kiled my grandmother didn’t you? You’re going to pay for this....” Sowon said as her finger trembled on the trigger. Fenris too slowly walked in between the two as he growled at the lady.

“Listen little girl, you should really think before you act now let me tell you it wasnt me who did this.”

“How can i trust you? I come in here and the place is in a mess and you are right next to my grandmother’s body.” Sowon said as her tears slowly fell from her eyes.

“ Its all just a coincidence. Calm down now i just came ba-“ Before she could continue with her sentence Sowon squeezed the trigger sending an arrow straight towards the girl.

However the lady grabbed the arrow before it managed to hit her, she tossed the arrow to the side before looking back at Sowon.

“H...how did you do that?” Sowon stuttered after seeing what the girl did.

“Trust me Sowon if i did wanted to kill you, i would have done so before you even enter this place. Now let me say this again, i did not kill your grandmother.”

“How do you know me?” Sowon asked curiously.

 “I live here with her. If you want to know who killed her look over there i killed them already.” The lady said pointing behind as Sowon turned around and saw two dead bodies piled on top of each other.

Sowon walked up to take a closer look at the dead bodies, their outfits looked familiar.

“Who are these people?” Sowon asked.

“I’ll tell you everything later but right now i think it’s right if we gave your grandmother a proper burial.” The lady said as she carried the body out.

They came to an empty ground where there were not much trees or bushes. The lady slowly set her on the ground, using a shovel she found she started to dig. Sowon just stood back as she stared blankly, mind deep in thoughts. Thoughts about being alone, about being furious and most importantly, she wanted revenge.

Saying their prayers, Sowon and the lady started bury the body. Sowon watched for the last time as the soil slowly covered up her grandmother’s body. With the last drop of tears flowing from her eyes, she said in a soft and shaky voice.

“ In just a day, i lost everything i loved and everything that loved me. My home, my family, all gone.” Sowon started to cry as she dropped to her knees. Fenris sat next to her as he leaned in and her face.

“Kim Taeyeon.” the lady suddenly spoke.

“What?” Sowon replied through sniffles of tears.

“That’s my name. Others call me the Red Hunter.” Taeyeon continued.

“Why are you telling me this now?” Sowon said again as she slowly stood up.

“Today you lost everything precious to you, but i’m telling you that you have also gained a new friend. Come with me, i’ll take you in as my own.” 

“I can’t leave her here alone. I already did that to my mother.” Sowon said again as the scene of her mother’s death replayed in her mind as she breaks down yet again.

“ Do not stand at her grave and weep

  She is not there, she is not asleep

  She is the cool wind which blows

  She is in every single drop of snow

  She is the fruit of every grain

  She is the sunlight after the rain.

She never left you and she never will, your mother and her mother will always be aroud you. Guiding you and watching you as you live your life. Now come with me and let’s get you ready for the night.”

Taeyeon took Sowon and Fenris home and she clothed them and gave them food and shelter. 

“Hey Taeyeon...Do you have anything else that is not red?” Sowon asked while looking through the stack of clothes that was given to her.

“What’s the point of being called the Red Hunter if i don’t wear red.” Taeyeon joked as she messed with Sowon’s hair.

“Your meal is ready, hurry and get changed and join me for supper.” Taeyeon left Sowon alone as she went to change.

Moments later, Sowon emerged from her room in her new suit. Her top made from the finest leather and her long pants made perfectly for her height.

“You look stunning. Come let’s eat, Fenris already started without you.” Taeyeon said as she pointed towards the wolf who was hungrily eating.

Sowon joined Taeyeon as the both of them sat opposite from each other. The room was silent only the sounds of the utensils and sound of chewing could be heard. 

“So about those people, who are they and what do they want?” Sowon broke the silence.

“They’re known as the Black Scar, a group of bandits run by the Myoui clan. They go around taking whatever they want cause people fear them.”

“So my village just so happened to be the lucky pick?” 

“That’s exactly what i mean, but what concerns me is that why would they go to your grandmother’s place which is just a hut in the middle of the jungle and kill her.” Taeyeon started to wonder about the situation.

“I have been thinking about having my revenge on them, not only that i want to stop them from doing this to any other areas. I want to end the Black Scar.” Sowon said with a determined voice.

“That’s very ambitious dear but that’s not going to happen. Firstly, they are at least a million strong and a lot of them are mages. That’s why they are taking over villages, to claim more land.” Taeyeon explained.

“But we can’t just let them do whatever they want. People will die.” 

“That’s why peoplelike us exist. To help them. We can save people when the Black Scar strikes but you are thinking of wiping out an entire nation of warriors. That’s madness.” 

Sowon took in what Taeyeon had said as she reflected upon herself. She sat there silently as she kept thinking. She was lost and have no directions on what to do.

Taeyeon sighed as she touched Sowon’s hand and looked at her in the eyes.

“I get it. You want to make a difference, so i will train you to take on any threat that comes for you. You’re lucky i am an expert on the crossbow and sword combat.” 

“You’ll really train me?” Sowon asked.

“I took responsibility of you. It’s only right that you learn to fight like me. When the time comes you will be out there on your own doing good deeds that will change the world.” Taeyeon replied as she placed her palm onto Sowon’s cheek.

“Thank you...” Sowon said softly.

“Now go on to bed we start first thing tomorrow morning.” Taeyeon commanded as Sowon and Fenris both skipped into their room happily while calling it a day.

“And people say that i am a kid.” Taeyeon laughed to herself while watching her new student.