First Date

Best Friends

Jonghyun and Minho decide to reschedule their date for the next Monday. Though it hurt him to see Minho so upset the previous week, Jonghyun’s in a way glad for the extra time.

 

Chat: ㅎㅅ~

Jjongie: is my seat in your car still reserved for tonight?

CineMin: as long as you’re still wanting it ^^

CineMin: How am I supposed to dress tonight?

Jjongie: Wear.......whatever you think you look most handsome in ㅎㅅ~

CineMin: That’s incredibly unhelpful

Jjongie: That’s true, you are a cutie at All Times

CineMin: In the words of Bummie, ‘That Sounds Fake But Ok’

Jjongie: I’m wearing jeans and a sweater if that’s Helpful

CineMin: yes thank

CineMin: I’m leaving as soon as I get dressed ^^

Jjongie: ok ㅎㅅ~


 

Minho drives up right at 7, just as Jonghyun is making his way out. He puts his backpack full of goodies in the backseat before getting in.

“Are we doing homework on our date?” Minho asks, pulling back into traffic.

“Nope. You’ll see.”

“Where am I headed, navigator?”
“Turn right at the next light.”

“Am I allowed to know where we’re going?”

“Nope. It’s a surprise.”

“What if we get lost?”

“Then it’s just extra surprising.”

Minho laughs and follows Jonghyun’s directions. It throws him off a little, too used to Kibum’s constant questioning and verification, but at the same time it’s nice to be trusted once in a while. As they get further away from the university, Minho turns as if to say something but in the end remains silent. Jonghyun turns up the radio a little, trying to hum along to whatever’s playing.

“I was going to bring cd’s with me so you might have an actual selection of things that I like but they’ve suspiciously gone missing from my house so the radio it is.” Minho explains at a stop light.

“No worries. Well, at least no worries about having to listen to the radio. That seems a little worrying that they’ve gone missing.”

“It’s a 50/50 that my brother’s borrowing them or my mom tossed them because she doesn’t like it. Just the usual.”

“That ,” Jonghyun says. He tries to think of something relatable or something comforting but nothing comes to mind, so instead he just tells Minho to turn at the sign. They park and get out of the car. Jonghyun grabs his backpack out before meeting Minho at the front of the car. He offers his hand, which Minho takes, and they head out of the lot.

“So what are we doing? I don’t think I’ve ever been to this park before and you don’t seem like the outdoorsy type, no offense. ”

“None taken. I made us a picnic.”

“Wait, really?”

Minho sounds excited and it adds to Jonghyun’s own.

“Yup! I stole food I’ve already paid for from the dining hall and made us sandwiches. I also brought my favorite chips and Kibum sent something of the dessert variety that he wouldn’t name.”

“I can’t remember the last time I had a picnic. Actually that’s a lie because Bummie and I have picnics in my treehouse all the time but like I don’t think I’ve had a proper outside-on-a-blanket picnic since elementary school.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s illegal to go that long without a proper picnic.”

Minho laughs at Jonghyun’s matter-of-fact tone and starts swinging their arms just a little.

“My sister and I always take my mom for a picnic on mothers’ day and usually her birthday also. She owns a restaurant so it kind of kills the ‘let us take you to some fancy place’ thing.”

“Your mom owns a restaurant? That’s so neat.”

“It is. My mom is objectively the coolest. She said that if this date goes well that I’m required by law to take you there for the next one so they can meet you but honestly my mom’s a soft pushover so if that’s not comfortable for you I’ll just take Kibum for s and giggles.”

“Do you think your mom will like me?”

“Yes because she can find a good point in anyone but also yes because you’re a sweetheart and the definition of guy-you-take-home-to-meet-your-mom to quote Kibum.”

Minho laughs again. The park is rather full but as they make their way over towards the river they spot a space just big enough for two.

“Also, my sister is the prettiest girl on the planet and you're absolutely not allowed to date her."

"Seeing as I’m on a date here with you I don't think that's gonna be much of an issue."

Jonghyun pulls his picnic cloth out of his backpack and they set about getting it as nicely flat as they can.

“I just wanted that clear and out there. Bro code, or whatever it is.”

Minho almost falls over with laughter.

“Bro code? At this point I think it’s more of ‘don’t cheat on me with my sister’ code’ but okay.”

Jonghyun ignores him, going about setting out the sandwiches (one for him, two for Minho), chips, and bag of oddly shaped gummies. They talk through the first two portions of their dinner: stories about other dates gone wrong, of current college shenanigans, of hopes and dreams for the future. Minho’s the one to discover the note inside the bag of gummies. He reads it -- albeit rather slowly -- and is rolling on the ground in tears before Jonghyun gets a chance to ask him what it is. He reaches out for the paper, gently pulling it out of Minho’s hand. It doesn’t take him long to recognize the handwriting but it takes him a while to understand the message.

To my homegays

The only -in-mouth stories I want to hear about tonight are about these gummies. Heechul hopes you two have a gay ol time. Don’t get kicked out of the park for making out, please.

Platonically

K.K.

“What does that even mean???”

“Look....look in the bag” Minho struggles, trying to recover.

To his amusement, he realizes the gummies in the back are in fact shaped. He can’t decide if Heechul is hilarious or disgusting, but puts the debate to the back of his mind as he admires Minho’s dimples which are rosy with laughter. Bag of gummies eaten, they decide to take a walk before heading back.  THey stand and Minho helps him fold the blanket. While Jonghyun puts it in his backpack, Minho leans down once more.

“What are you doing?” he asks, zipping up the bag and slinging it over his shoulder.

“Your shoe’s untied.”

“Oh.”

It seems like such a silly thing to be excited over, but as Jonghyun watches Minho double knot his laces his heart races. Minho stands and smiles.

“I can carry the backpack if you want.” he offers.

“No, I got it. You can hold my hand though.”

Minho laughs and takes his hand. They set off walking along the river. It’s peaceful, most of the crowd having left during their picnic. They stay quiet until they reach the second bridge. They don’t follow it immediately, pausing at the branch in the footpath.

“If we followed the river, where do you think we would end up?” Minho asks.

“At the sea I suppose. If we could even follow it that far. There’s probably a dam on it at some point.”

Minho doesn’t answer, but stares down where the river bends out of view.

“We should probably head back.” Jonghyun says softly.

“Oh, yeah, sorry.”

“It’s fine.”

They take the bridge across and make their way back up to the parking lot.

“I had a nice time.” Jonghyun says when they get back in the car.

“Me too. The sandwiches were really good.”

Jonghyun decides to make his move.

“Minho...do you remember last week, when you got drunk, do you remember what we talked about?”

There’s more than a little fear in Minho’s eyes and he shakes his head. “I remember crying and then it goes fuzzy until I get to the waking up with that hangover.”

Jonghyun laughs softly.

“Why, did...did I do something?”

Jonghyun takes Minho’s hand. “You didn’t do anything wrong, don’t worry. I mean you threw up, but Kibum took care of that. Then we helped you into pajamas and you and I sat up and talked for a while. It was kind of cute, actually. You showed me your birthmark and asked if you could kiss me.”

“I...I did?”

Minho’s cheeks and ears are bright red and Jonghyun wishes he could take a picture.

“I told you no, since you were drunk. You strike a very hard deal when you’re drunk. Anyway, I know you don’t remember but I told you that you could kiss me today, if we were both in the mood, so this is me giving you permission if you want to kiss me.”

Minho opens his mouth as if to say something, but closes it before he does. Though he’s trying to keep eye contact, his

Jonghyun puts a finger under his chin.

“Do you want to kiss me, Minho?”

Minho nods. Jonghyun leads forward, slowly closing the distance between them.

“May I kiss you, Minho?”

He nods more enthusiastically, eyes focused on his lips. Jonghyun gives Minho the chance one last time to kiss him before pressing his lips to Minho’s. Afraid of crossing a boundary, he quickly pulls away. Minho’s eyes are closed and Jonghyun struggles not to laugh. Before he can open them, they kiss twice more. Jonghyun pulls away reluctantly as both their phones ping.


 

Groupchat: Cheese fries

Kekeke: not to interrupt your date but uhh its after your curfew pls come home now