Drive

Best Friends

Jonghyun wakes up to his phone buzzing. He groans as he rolls over.

 

Chat: ㅎㅅ~

CineMin: Are you awake????
CineMin: Pls be awake I have something exciting :D

Jjongie: I am aware of my currents surroundings if that counts as being awake

CineMin: Ye!
CineMin: What are you up to???

Jjongie: napping

CineMin: Did I wake you up? I’m sorry TT

Jjongie: it’s ok. I needed to be awake in order to continue contributing something to society.

CineMin: Are you busy with something? I was hoping we could meet up. I have something to show you.

Jjongie: I theoretically have things I should be working on but I can make time for cuties ㅎㅅ~
Jjongie: How long do you think it’ll take?

CineMin: Uhh I mean if you’re busy it’ll take maybe 5 min but if you have more time then that will also work nicely.

Jjongie: ???
Jjongie: I have 1.5 hr before class

CineMin: Meet me at the west gate in ten minutes?

Jjongie: it might be 15 minutes but ㅎㅅㅎ ok

 

Jonghyun sighs. He had wanted to get a nap before his class, since his professor always left him emotionally exhausted, but seeing Minho again was worth it he supposed. He got out of bed and -- after throwing on the nearest clean smelling clothes -- made his way to the gate as quickly as he could. When he gets there, he looks for Minho but doesn’t see him. Though his height should make him easy to spot, there’s a noted lack of cute tall people in his line of sight. He pulls his phone out to call.

“Jonghyun!! Over here!!” comes Minho’s voice just before he hits the button. Jonghyun looks around wildly before a waving hand catches his eye. Minho’s sitting in a new white car, face full of excitement.

“Look!! I won it!!”

“How did you manage that, cutie?” Jonghyun asks as he walks up to it.

“I entered a contest at school. It’s just my lucky day I guess. They called me yesterday and I just got it this morning. I was going to take Kibum to test it out with me but since he’s busy all day you were the next person on my list. Want to go for a ride?”

Jonghyun nods and opens the passenger door. Once he’s buckled in, Minho pulls away from the curb and back intro traffic.

“You’re a safe driver, right?” he asks. Minho laughs.

“Yes, Jonghyun, I’m a safe driver. Much safer than Kibum. I used to drive us to high school.”

Jonghyun hums and gets comfortable. He notices the music is turned all the way down and adjusts the dial so that it’s audible; there’s a pop song playing but Jonghyun’s not familiar with it at all.

“I haven’t had a chance to set up the radio stations or anything, I literally just picked it up. You can put whatever you like on, I’m not fussy.” Minho explains.

Jonghyun nods and starts flipping through stations.

“So I know what Kibum likes to listen to, what types of music do you like?” he asks.

“Like I said, I’m not particularly fussy.”
“Minho. What type of music do you like? I’m a music major you have to give me something, dude. Even if it’s just ‘I like commercial jingle music.’”

Minho chuckles. “I like 90s pop rock the best.”

Jonghyun thinks he remembers a classic rock station and when he finds it he leaves it on.

“What type do you like, Mr. Music Major? And you can’t say it’s your capitalist obligation to like all of them or anything like that.”

It’s Jonghyun’s turn to laugh. “I’m really good at writing ballads. But I also really like jazz and other stuff. Recently, I’ve been getting into lo-fi hip hop as well.”

Minho nods, though it’s obvious he’s mostly unfamiliar with music terms.

“So are we going anywhere in particular, Mr. Chauffeur?”

Minho shakes his head, humming along to whatever song has come on.

“Can I ask you something about Kibum? Like I’m not trying to ask anything behind his back it’s just there’s stuff that I want to know about and I don’t know how to ask them without upsetting him.” Jonghyun asks, fiddling with the strap of his seat belt.

“Sure.”

There’s a pause while Jonghyun collects his thoughts. Minho simply keeps driving with no particular place to go, though obviously not lost.

“So, first off, I understand that Kibum’s aromantic and aual. And I respect that. It’s just a little hard for me to grasp, since I’m like very the opposite.”

They stop at a stoplight and Minho turns to look at Jonghyun before nodding.

“Was there like a moment that he was like super squicked out by something that made him realize that? Or like did he date anyone and then realized ‘uhh nevermind this isn’t for me’? Like I want to ask just so I can understand but like I realize that those are usually not a-spec friendly questions and I haven’t been able to figure out how to ask them without sounding like aphobic.”

“I get what you mean, it is kind of a hard thing to word without sounding that way. No, I think he’s always known. I mean, I can remember when we would watch cartoon movies when we were little and I’d always be crushing on the protagonist or the love interest, sometimes both, and he’d just be like ‘when will the animal friend be satisfied with their life they don’t deserve to put up with the protagonist!’. It was more of just an issue of finding a name for it and finding out that other people are the same way.”

“So what you’re telling me is that Kibum is ace/aro but also a furry?”

“Oh my god, no. Absolutely not. He just liked that they had at least some sense.”

“So, to be clear, he’s never done anything with anyone ever?”

“Not really.”

“So there was something??”

“When we were 16 or so, I let him kiss me so I mean there’s that but that’s it.”

Jonghyun’s jaw falls to the floor.

“You two have KISSED? And you still claim to be that you guys are not boyfriends??”

“It wasn’t like that.”

“What was it like then?”

Minho sighs.

“I had dated or at least attempted dating by that point. If he hasn’t told you yet, he’s in love with the concept of love but is disgusted by the thought of being in it. So he was asking me what dating was like and all of that. He said he wondered what kissing was like, so I said that since I had already had my first kiss that if he ever got too curious he could kiss me. So he did, said ‘huh that doesn’t seem so great’ and we both moved on.”

“I can’t even tap his shoulder without him getting grossed out and you guys are kissing?”

“Well first off, we’ve kissed once as consenting adults. Secondly, I’ve known him since literal infancy. So that gets me some upgrades to the friendship. Is he super physically affectionate with me all the time? No. But if I’m freaked out and need a hug or to hold hands or whatever he can usually find some sort of way to deal with it enough for me. Though I also respect when he can’t, which helps.”

There’s a pause in the conversation as Jonghyun tries to process the information. They park in front of a little sporting goods shop.

“This is my parents shop. I just want to run in and show them my car. It shouldn’t take long so you can either come in or just stay in here, whichever is better for you.” Minho explains; he looks nervous and Jonghyun isn’t sure how to deal with it.

“I can come in, it’s fine.”

“Just, do me a solid and be as casual as you can.”

“Casual meaning act heterual?”

“Yeah.”

“Got it.”

They get out and go into the store. There’s a woman at the counter helping a customer, the only people in there besides them. She nods at Minho but continues with the customer, so Jonghyun tries to occupy himself with looking at the few bikes they have while Minho appears to tidy up some shelves. Eventually, the customer leaves.

“Don’t you have class?” the woman asks flatly.

“I only have my 8am today, mama. I have a surprise though,” he says, going up to her for a hug.

“What, are they giving you more money?” she asks.

“No, they’re not. I did win a car today though!” he says, pointing out the window.

“Wow, is it new?”

“Yeah. Brand new. They gave me a parking pass and few gift cards with gas money and car washes and stuff too. I talked to Kibum’s dad and he’s supposed to help me work out the insurance this weekend.”

As his mom looks out the window, she notices Jonghyun.

“Oh excuse me, sir. Is there anything we can help you with?” She asks, putting her customer service voice back on.

“Mama, this is Jonghyun. He’s that friend of Kibum’s I was telling you about.”

“Oh. Hi Jonghyun. Nice to meet you. If you need anything, just say, okay?”

Jonghyun bows a little and says a hello. Minho’s mom is quieter now that she realizes they’re not alone.

“Why don’t you give it to Minseok? He needs it more than you do.”

“Mama, he already has a car. I don’t have one and besides I’m the one that won it.”

“But what do you need a car for? You can’t even pay for you schooling, how are you going to pay to keep a car!”

“I’m not giving him my car, mama.”

“God, Minho. You’re so selfish. You make us pay for all these things for you and you can’t even be bothered to help your brother out.”

Minho’s mom turns away and starts cleaning up something on the counter. It’s clear from Minho’s voice that he’s hurt at her reaction.

“Hey Minho, I forgot that I have to grab something from someone before class, can we head back?”

“Oh, yeah.” Minho says. He turns to his mom and reaches for a hug but is disappointed. “I’ll see you later, mama. Love you.”

She says something that sounds like an annoyed ‘I love you too’ and waves him away.

They’re silent as Minho pulls back into traffic and heads back in the direction of school.

“Is the time going to be okay?” Minho asks quietly after a moment.

“What? Oh, I don’t actually have anyone to meet. I just...that seemed uncomfortable and you seemed like you needed help getting out of that.”

“Oh.” There’s a pause. “Look, I’m sorry you had to hear all that. I’m just...they just...it’s...”

“Don’t worry about it, Minho. We all have situations at home. I tell you what, if you take me to the store, I’ll buy you a snack or something for getting me out of the apartment. I think it’s cool you got the car and I think you deserve to keep it.”

“You don’t have to do that, I’m just happy you could come.”

Jonghyun doesn’t force it and there’s a silence again.

“So what about you?” Jonghyun asks quietly.

“What about me?”

“You said you attempted dating before. What team do you play for?”

Minho attempts a laugh. “I guess you could say I play for both teams.”

“Do you...play? Or are you and Kibum the aces up each other’s sleeves?”

“I’m more of a holomorph.”

“A what?”

“A holomorph. It’s a term for fungi, like mushrooms and stuff, that go through both aual and ual phases.”

When they reach the stoplight, Minho glances at Jonghyun and laughs at his confused expression.

“I’m demi-ace.”

“Why...didn’t you just say that?”

Minho laughs but it's only for a moment.

“Is it ok if I just go ahead and take you back to campus? I have something I have to go do.”

Jonghyun hums. The rest of the ride is quiet and soon they pull up to the west gate.

“Thanks for riding around with me. I’m sorry again about my mom.”

“No problem. Just text me anytime you want to do this, minus the mom part, again.”

Jonghyun gets out and watches Minho drive away before heading to his class.

*

When Jonghyun gets out of his class, he has too many unread texts.
 

Chat: ㅎㅅ~

CineMin: Thanks again
CineMin: It means a lot

Jjongie: no problem, it was good for me to get out of the apartment.
Jjongie: besides, I’m always up for car rides with cute and lucky boys ㅎㅅ~

 

Chat: I’ll Uhhhh Just Have A Friendship Please

Kekeke: we need to talk when u get out of class

Kekeke: u left ur door open again so im here and helping myself to chips

Jjongie: not my chips ㅎㅅㅎ im on my way back ㅎㅅㅎ

 

He runs back to the dorm, fearing for his chips. When he gets to his room, the chips are safe and sound and Kibum’s sitting on his beanbag chair with some carrots and humus.

“I thought you said you were eating chips??”

Kibum laughs. “I’m not that dumb and also I don’t like that flavor.”

Jonghyun sighs, half in exasperation and half in relief, and plomps down on his bed. “So what did you want to talk about?”

“Minho told me he took you for a drive.”

“Yup. We went by his parents shop. Who’s Minseok?”

Kibum sighs deeply. “Minseok is Minho’s older brother. He goes here too, he’s a junior. He’s on a full scholarship like I am. Things are...easier for Minseok. When their parents had Minho, they were hoping for a daughter. Even now I think they wish he’d been a daughter.”

“So why would they ask Minho to give Minseok his car if things are easier for him and he has more money?”

“Because they feel Minseok deserves a new car and Minho doesn't.”

Jonghyun nods but doesn’t understand.

“Jjongie, how do you feel about Minho?”

“In what context?”

“Jonghyun, you know what context I’m talking about.”

Jonghyun sits up and grabs his bag of sour gummies off his dresser.

“I mean, he’s charming and sweet and handsome. He’s a very likable person.”

Kibum puts his snack down. “Jonghyun. I’m not asking you what you think of Minho in terms of his qualities, his merits as a friend, or what you think of his existence. I’m asking you what you think of Minho as a person who is a potential romantic partner to you.”

“Oh. He’s a total cutie and I’ve had a crush on him since you introduced me to him at the diner.”

Kibum makes a face between pleased and dissatisfied.

“Why? Did he say something about me?”

“You heard the conversation at the shop, yeah?” Jonghyun nods. “That’s how he’s treated at home. That’s how he’s always been treated at home. That’s part of why he and I are so close; I’m apparently the only person out of our two families who realize that he is his own separate person who needs affection.”

“Oh.”

“So he has difficulty distinguishing his own feelings for people if they show him affection.”

“Meaning?”

“The first girl he dated was this friend Sulli. They both played soccer, were both considered pretty, they were the typical cute high school couple. After a while though, it became clear that his feelings weren’t for her, but rather her attention. Things ended as well as they could but it’s left scars on him nonetheless. If you are planning on pursuing Minho romantically, you need to understand that things will be going slowly. That he is, in a way, affection starved and will need time to understand his feelings for you.”

“So if I want to try dating Minho, I need to make the first move but let him dictate the pace?”

“Yes. And as long as things are consensual between you guys and you make sure that he is doing ok, you have my blessing to do so.”

“Sweet!”

“Ok, that was all I wanted to talk about, so I’m going to go sleep now.”

Jonghyun doesn’t even wait for Kibum to leave the room before he pulls his phone out.

 

Chat: ㅎㅅ~

Jjongie: So if someone wanted to take a cutie like you out on a first date, where would they take you?

CineMin: Honestly, I’ve never been asked on a date before. I’ve always been the one to ask.

Jjongie: what are you doing this weekend?

CineMin: I have to watch the shop ;;;;
CineMin: But I don’t have my afternoon class on Monday so we could do something then?

Jjongie: Pick me up at 5? I’ll give you more info later once i get a planㅎㅅ~ ㅎㅅ~

CineMin: ok ^^