Minho's Bloom (Day 4)

Spirits of Nature

 

When Taemin wakes up, it’s to screaming. In his surprise, he falls off his cloud. He looks around trying to find who it’s from: Jonghyun is peaking out of his nest; Jinki, out of the well; Kibum looks like he just fell as well. As the screaming starts again, they all look towards the center of the garden. Minho is on top of the table stone on his hands and knees. They watch as he presses his forehead to the stone and continues screaming in some unseeable agony. It’s the fourth day and Taemin knows that it’s his turn to step up for Minho. The lady had revealed to him on the first day that his job would be the hardest and that he would have to follow his instinct without the slightest hesitation. As he watches Minho writhe in pain, he hopes that instinct happens soon. He gets up and walks over to where Minho is, crouching down in front of him. He reaches out and gingerly touches Minho’s shoulder, almost falling over when Minho straightens up. Minho grabs both of Taemin’s wrists and Taemin quickly realizes how afraid Minho is. He wonders why it couldn’t have been one of the others to have to be here in this moment; out of all of them, he’s the least close to Minho and he has no idea how to try to comfort him. His thoughts are interrupted when Minho goes stone still and the ground begins to rumble. He looks past Minho and notices the trees splitting in the middle, fully grown shoots coming up to replace them. He looks around and realizes that all of the plants are doing it, even the vines are literally bursting with new growth. As soon as the old plant falls away and the new replacement seemingly instantaneously matures, a new shoot begins sprouting. The air is filled with even more potent blossoms and the smell of decaying matter and soon they're all choking on it.

When Taemin looks back to Minho, he thinks he sees him mouthing ‘please’; the thought strikes him and he immediately looks to Kibum and signals for him to get the others out. Taemin waits for Kibum’s signal; as soon as the wind hits, him he pulls every storm cloud he can around the island until the sky is filled with black clouds. The moment it all comes together, he opens his hands and begins to unleash every lightning bolt he can muster. He does his best to hit each tree and every plot until the whole island is seemingly burning. The sprouting rate seems to lessen, but he continues to burn every shoot that makes its way to the surface. Soon, the level of the trees and the blaze is low enough that he can see the others from where they stand on the beach. Jinki has them an arm around Jonghyun and Kibum and the three of them are shielded from the fire in one of Jinki’s water bubbles. Their horrified faces make him doubt his decision, but it’s too late to stop. As he continues, he notices Minho’s skin begin to change; he’s worried that he’s burning him alive but assumes the change from tan flesh to thick bark is seemingly comforting, as if Minho’s finding a way to protect himself.

Soon, the flames start dying down and the ground goes still. Taemin slowly lets the clouds dissipate and Jinki does the same to his bubble. Taemin can hear Kibum and Jonghyun screaming at him; asking what was he thinking, how could he, why why why.  The island was covered in as much ash as it was sand. Every piece of life, beyond the five of them, was completely destroyed. To say Taemin felt guilty about what happened was an understatement; but when he was pulled into Minho’s arms, with tears and many whispered ‘thank you’s, he knew he had done what he was supposed to.