The one where Kibum goes to see Minho after a bad day

Spirits of Nature

 

When Kibum first became the spirit of the wind, he was excited. Actually he was confused on what he could do with that power, but once he got the hang of it he was exhilarated with the idea. He could come and go as he please, move anything he wanted, and in some small way control other facets of nature. He’d gone around the world twice in one day, moved entire fleets of ships to their destination, and sent a full forest’s leaves to cover a mountain he wasn’t fond of. He felt magnificent and commanding. But every once in awhile the wind would come to remind it that while he was the one who tended to it, he did not completely control it. Today was one of those days. First he couldn’t call it to carry him, then he couldn’t even help Taemin move a cloud, then he had to inform the lady that he wouldn’t be able to send any of the wind storms that she had asked of him (which he wasn’t too upset about if he was being honest). No matter what he tried to do the wind fought back. Taemin had noticed the struggle (a miracle in any sense) and given Kibum a cloud to rest on.

“I’m all done for today. Are you done too?” he asked, sending his last storm off.

“I don’t know. I didn’t do any of my tasks today but the wind is just not cooperating with me for whatever reason.” Kibum huffed.

“Maybe the wind just doesn’t like your bad vibes, Ki. I know when I’m grumpy my clouds get weird.”

Kibum huffed again. “The only bad vibes I have are the ones I’m getting from the wind, ok?”

Taemin laughed as the wind suddenly picked up and spun Kibum’s cloud around.

“That’s the problem with powers like yours and Jinki’s. It’s always listening to your complaints!”

Kibum scowled as he tried to find a stable position on the cloud. Just as he got comfortable the wind came a second time; it completely knocked him off the cloud and Taemin had to rush to form another beneath him. Taemin came down to Kibum’s level and took his hand. There were tears in his eyes and Taemin was definitely not in a place to give emotional comfort.

“Come on, Ki. Let’s go. I’m using my privileges as your partner in sky and saying you’re done for the day. Shall we go see the boys?”

Kibum nodded. Taemin began towing Kibum along. He really didn’t want to deal with a crying Kibum so he hoped that Minho was there and alert. As they got close, he looked for Minho and Jonghyun on the beach, laughing when he caught sight of them. They’d recently stepped up their so-called napping game. On nice sunny days like today Minho would go out on the beach, go into tree form, and enjoy some photosynthesis time. Once Minho got comfortable, Jonghyun would turn into some small snake and wrap himself up around one of Minho’s branches to take a nap. Taemin had always wanted to scare them out of their nap to see who would change back first. He sent a little tiny cloud down, just big enough to carry one strike of lightning. Minho changed back immediately after the strike, Jonghyun wrapped around his ankle in fear. Jonghyun slithered off and changed back.

“That wasn’t very nice you know. What if you’d hurt them with that?” Kibum said as he smacked Taemin’s back.

“What can I say, my curiosity got the better of me.”

Taemin dropped off the cloud into the water, waiting for Kibum to follow. When he didn’t, Taemin dissolved it for him. When Kibum came up to the surface crying, he remembered two things: Kibum was a terrible swimmer (something he’d retained from his human years) and that they’d come here so that Kibum could be comforted. Taemin looked towards the shore to signal for help but Minho was already wading out. As Minho gathered Kibum up in his arms to carry him to the shore, Taemin suddenly felt a jolt of pain in his foot. He looked down to find a crab. He was about to throw it far away until a small voice said “Don’t even think about it, sky boy. You’re gonna carry me back to shore since you ruined my nap.”

Of course the crab was Jonghyun. He carried Jonghyun further down the beach so that they could keep an eye on how Kibum was doing but also have emotional distance.

By the time Minho set him down on the beach, Kibum was a crying mess. This wasn’t the first time Taemin had brought Kibum by after a long day. Minho sat down next to him and wrapped his arms around him. He hummed some half remembered song and pressed kisses to Kibum’s forehead. When his cries became softer, Minho loosened his hold and began rubbing circles into Kibum’s back.

“Long day, Bummie?”

“The wind is not cooperating with me. In fact, it’s harassing me.”

As if to make the point, a strong wind passed around them. Minho shook his hair back into place as Kibum started crying again. Minho went to put his arms around him again but decided against it. He took Kibum’s hands in his and leaned so that their foreheads were touching.

“It’ll be ok, Bummie. I know it’s hard but it’ll be ok and the wind will come back after a while.”

“I’ve just never had this happen this badly before. Like it’ll throw fits sometimes but it’s never been this long.”

“Well since the wind is being mean to you can I be nice and give you kisses and roses?”

Kibum almost smiled and nodded. Minho took Kibum’s hands and put them so they were palm down on the sand, covering them with one hand and holding Kibum’s chin with the other. He started pressing soft kisses to his forehead and cheeks, little rosebuds shooting up out of the sand between Kibum’s fingers with each one. He slowly made his way around Kibum’s face, making his way towards his lips. Just as Minho went to properly kiss him though, it started to downpour right between them. They both looked over to where Jonghyun and Taemin were now fighting.

“THEY WERE GOING TO MAKE OUT WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?” Taemin screamed as Jonghyun turned himself into a moth and began terrorizing him. Taemin started running at record speed, wildly waving his arms around. As he passed by Minho and Kibum, he seemingly hit Jonghyun who fell and turned back into a person. He looked at the two of them as Taemin -- seemingly unaware of his victory -- continued running.

“I tried to distract him so you guys could have your moment I’m sorry.” he said sheepishly. He attempted to sit up, rubbing his shin. Kibum reached out and took his hand.

“I appreciate it, bug boy.”

All three looked back over at Taemin as he screamed trying to get onto a cloud. Eventually he made it, turning to face the three of them.

“Kibum I’ll come back for you tomorrow, ok? Just wait til I’m out of sight to start like making out or whatever you people do!” he shouted before zooming off into the horizon.

Minho and Jonghyun stood while Kibum remained sitting in disbelief.

“That little jerk is really going to leave me here.”

Both Minho and Jonghyun feigned chest pain at the comment.

“And to think I thought you liked napping with me!” Minho said, pretending to cry. Kibum perked up then sank back.

“Where am I going to sleep though? You two are too used to sleeping next to each other there won’t be room for me.”

Jonghyun laughed as Minho helped Kibum stand.

“I don’t normally sleep in people form though. So while the three of us now might be difficult to fit on the hammock, the two of you and a tiny cuddly puppy won’t be.”

Kibum looked pleased with the thought. Without warning, Minho held Kibum’s face again, finally giving him the kiss he’d been promising.

“Taemin finally left.” he whispered.

“Ya! Where’s mine? I almost died so that this could be a free kissing zone!” Jonghyun exclaimed, smacking Minho’s side. Minho turned, grabbed Jonghyun’s chin, and kissed him as well. He put an arm around both their shoulders, Jonghyun on his left side and Kibum on his right.

“Come on, let’s go inside before the kissing police comes back because he realizes he doesn’t want to sleep at home by himself.”