Second

A shojo manga

Jungkook sighed as he caught the bus to pick up his next door neighbour son. His neighbour sent him a text telling him to pick their son because they had to work. Since they lived together in the same apartment, he often looks after the next door neighbour son. When he arrived he saw someone that he didn't expect to see but it pulled a smile to his lips.

"Hello, I'm picking up my next door neighbour son, Youngjae?"

The elder lady turned around and smiled, "Hold on, I think Youngjae is playing at the back so I'll get him."

"Oh you must be Youngjae guardian?" Taein asked and Jungkook smiled with a nod. He wondered how long it would take for her to remember him.

"Youngjae ah it's time to go home!" She lifted him up and smiled at him giving him a hug and a small peck on the head. Jungkook was surprised how easily she handled the four year old as he had troubles even holding the baby. The little four year old was an actor he swore because he acted like an angel in front of his parents and everyone expect for him. She gave the younger to Jungkook and he gave her a big thank and then she stopped him before he could leave. Finally he thought to himself.

"Oh! You..." She pointed at him, blinking tying to remember and he raised a brow. "You go to the same school as me!" She smiled and he frowned for a second but recovered.

"Yeah I do." He smiled.

"Oh yeah aren't you that boy who got called 'Oppa' and a 'jerk' by a senior and made her cry?" She remembered but not exactly the way he wanted her to remember him.

"A-ah yeah-h... "

"I've been meaning to ask, why did she call you 'Oppa' when you're younger than her?" She asked.

"Uhhh..." He started, he wasn't sure how to explain that because he didn't understand why she called him Oppa well when he was obviously younger.

"Oh and by the way, is your name seriously cookies?" She asked. Cookies? Or Kookie? Me? Jungkook thought to himself with a confusion written all over him. He was as confused as at the moment.

"Cookies?"

"Yeah, I know right. Why did your parents call you such a weird name. Did they perhaps love cookies that much?"

He wasn't sure if he should be confused as still or go on the floor laughing like an idiot but it was probably not the best considering he had a toddler of a ing brilliant actor in his arms that would do something to make him look like the bad person to his parents.

"Do you mean Kookie?" He asked and she nodded.

"That's my name." He said with a chuckle. She made an 'oh' expression and put her hand out.

"I'm Jung Taein, it's a pleasure to meet you Kookie." She beamed and he couldn't hold onto his laughter. This left her lost in a maze.

"My name is Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook." He wiped a tear out of the corner of his eyes. She tilted her head and frowned.

"But you said Kookie was your name."

Jungkook could help but laugh once again. The first thought that came to his head was that she was either really stupid or ignorant.

ㅇㅇㅇㅇ

The bell rang, signalling all the students to head home or to their after school sports or clubs. Soojung and Jin had finished packing up their things and were ready to go to their after school clubs. However Taein was busy writing notes and looking at different books.

"Taeinie do you have work today?" Soojung asked and the girl looked up for a moment and realised that everyone had left.

"Oh! Sorry... You guys can go ahead." She smiled and Jin gave an uncertain look to Sujeong.

"Taein don't over work yourself okay?" Jin patted her head softly and she smiled brightly at her.

"I only gotta finish some things and I'll be out soon!" She stretched her arms and both sighed and said their good byes.

She rubbed her eyes and went back to finishing her notes and the rest of the paper work. Around four o'clock she packed her things and left the school to head to her work place. On Monday, Wednesday, Friday she worked at the childcare centre while on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday she worked at the bakery around the corner of the new shopping complex. Sunday was her free day where she spent time with her mum or studying most of the time. She had to admit it was tough but she couldn't let her mum take all the blame and with a smile she entered into the bakery. Most of the times she worked at the back, making the breads and delicious foods, she was always experimenting as well because she loved to bake.

The bell on top of the door made a bright sound and she smiled at the customers. "Hello! Is there anything I can get you?"

"Oh." The person looked at her with a small 'o' forming on his mouth.

"Hmm?" She tilted her head with a smile. "Is there something wrong?"

"Why weren't you at the childcare centre?" He asked straight off the bat.

"I'm sorry?" She acted confused. In reality she wondered how this boy knew her. Then it hit her, it was that boy that was named Kookie? Or was it Jungin? She thought to herself.

"Jungkook. I picked up Youngjae yesterday at the childcare centre and we met each other?" He tried to refresh her memory. She hit herself mentally, she must have thought out loud.

"Oh... Yes, now I remember. So what can I get you?" She went back to her main objective avoiding the topic that she worked more than one job.

"So you work at the bakery as well?"

She mentally sighed frustrated at him but maintained her smile, "Is there really nothing I can get you?"

"Wow... Why do you work two jobs?"

"Is there really nothing you want?" She asked a bit irritated but still calm. Jungkook hummed in a way like he discovered something new.

"Answer me question."

She sighed and looked at the clock then turned to tell her manger she was stepping out for a moment. Then she grabbed him and took him outside where a playground was. She sat on the swings while Jungkook stood up holding four year old Youngjae who was sleeping peacefully in his arms. She explained her financial state to him and why she was working and everything.

"Hmmm so you work two jobs?"

"Three. I work for the newspaper delivery, Sunshine care centre and Bubble Bakery."

He hummed in an affirming way which she glanced at him wondering what he was thinking. Truthfully she never really told anyone her life apart from her friends but she told him for no reason. He breathed out clouds of warm air in the winter evening.

"You have my sympathies."

She blinked at him surprised because he was probably the first person she ever told everything to, even her complaints about how hard it is to work for money. It was strange but she gave him a small smile.

Almost like a thank you just for listening to her.

ㅇㅇㅇㅇ

Taein had gotten home and made dinner for herself and her mum before she took a shower and started studying again. She stopped for a moment when the boy Jungkook popped into her head, it never occurred to her that the boy could possibly tell everyone at her school how poor she was and make her a victim of bullying. She moved her lips to one side whilst thinking but then she let out a deep sigh and shrugged it off. She thought to herself , 'if he wanted to do it then so be it. It's not like I can do anything about it.' She then heard a click coming from the door which surprised her.

"Mum are you back?" She called out and her mother smiled. Tired. It was something written on her face.

"Taeinnie, why are you up so late my dear?"

She blinked and then glanced at the clock in the kitchen and it was almost quarter past two in the morning. "I must have forgotten about the time..." She rubbed her neck.

"Anyway, have a shower mum and I'll warm up your food." She started to heat up the soup and warm up the fish she cooked then suddenly her mum hugged her.

"I'm so sorry my poor baby... I love you so much." She cried into her back and Taein held back her tears as she held her mum's hands that were wrapped around her waist.

"I'm sorry too mum. I wish you never have to feel this pain." She leaned her head back and stared at the ceiling. After she hugged her mother once again and comforted her. She told her to take a shower while she made her food warm again. Then it hit Taein. She felt the tears fall and she cried silently because she wished that she wasn't born so her mother wouldn't have lost her father.

"Taeinnie why are you up so late?" Her mother asked again while she was seating dinner, Taein was peeling some apples for her mother with a coffee next to her.

"I was studying, nothing serious." She placed the skin free apple down on a plate for her mother.

"Don't push yourself, dear." She warned and Taein smiled while nodding, "I know... I won't over do it."

"I know you really want to get to university darling and I have no doubt you will get there so you don't need to kill yourself, honey." She took the apple and knife from her and peeled the fruit instead. "Also you don't need to worry about the bills and the rent and money okay? Mum should be worrying about that not you. Besides its okay to live life a little hmm?" She placed the peeled fruit on a plate for Taein and she ate the apple, "Go and be a teenager Taein, hang out with your friends sometime, fool around while being safe and having fun. Fall in love if you want too."

Taein chuckled, "Don't worry Mum, I'm fine and you shouldn't be worrying about me. It's my job to make sure you're not stressing."

She walked back into her room and studied a bit longer before she turned her lights off and went to sleep. Her mother sat next to her and patted her head softly.

"It's a parent’s job to worry about their children, not the other way around." She kissed her forehead and went back to her room to sleep.

ㅇㅇㅇㅇ

It was almost the end of the day and Taein was walking towards the library to return some books. Strangely and thankfully it looked like no one had found out about her poor life as they treated her the same. It was a good sign for herself because she wouldn't have to deal with people looking down at her or weirdly. She honestly wanted to get out of high school as soon as possible so she could earn some real money and then the bills would be paid off easier. Since she was only sixteen and still studying full time it was hard to get jobs that accommodated for her situation. She was almost near the library when someone blocked her way.

"Jungkook?" She asked and he took a step forward and pushed her against the wall. This surprised her because she didn't expect him to make such a move.

"Taein, stay still." He whispered and leaned in towards her. She blinked with wide eyes and when their noses almost touch she closed her eyes abruptly. She could feel his breathe on her lips and something against her forehead and when she opened her eyes, he also opened his eyes and pulled away from her face before grabbing her hand.

"Come with me for a moment."

"Huh? Why?"

"You're not feeling well, don't go to work today." He ordered her basically which she didn't understand. They walked pass the library and she pulled her hand away.

"Jungkook. I need to go to the library and I’m perfectly fine." She said and walked back to the library.

"Don't push yourself-"

Suddenly a wave of dizziness hit her and the world spin around her causing her to lose her balance. Luckily Jungkook caught her before she fell. He pulled her close to him and felt her heavy breathing and pressed her head to his neck feeling her temperature. The young boy picked her up bridal style and walked to the infirmary room. A lot of students whispered about the couple, most shipping the two.

"What did I tell you..." He muttered to her, "Don't over work yourself, idiot."

"J-Jungkook." She said in a weak voice, "I-I'm sorry-y." She leaned her head onto his shoulder and he sighed softly.

"Stupid. How did I know this was going to happen the moment I saw you working?"