나무늘보 (Sloth)

나무늘보 (Sloth)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunggyu opens his eyes, waking up. He stares at his ceiling for a few seconds, feeling the sleepiness slipping away from him, and proceeds to stand up. Not without sighing in the process. His feet move slowly out of his bedroom and into the adjacent bedroom where Dongwoo is sleeping. The younger’s mouth is half open, a thick tray of saliva smeared on a side of his face and over his pillow. His morning hair is raised in every angle. Sunggyu would normally laugh or scowl at him, today instead, he does none.

You see, the thing is—… he’s really tired.

He walks over to the bed, stepping on the sides of the mattress in Dongwoo’s waist level. He places a hand over the wall to steadily stand on one foot, poking Dongwoo’s stomach with the tip of his other foot.

“Wake up” The order sounds dry in his tongue. “Wake up, wake up”

Dongwoo doesn’t wake up, not until Sunggyu pokes his cheek with his toes.

Sunggyu finally climbs down the bed and grabs one of Dongwoo’s arm when the younger simply turns around to try to catch up some sleep.

“C’mon” He insists.

Finally, Dongwoo cracks an eye open, half of his body hanging in the air.

“Hyung?” He asks, still not processing what’s happening. “What is it?”

“It’s morning” Sunggyu states, finally letting go of the arm.

Dongwoo turns to the clock sitting in his nightstand. 6:14AM.

“It’s really early” Dongwoo comments, and Sunggyu simply shrugs.

“Still, let’s make breakfast” He pleads.

“But—“

“Dongwoo..” Sunggyu murmurs, and the younger finally takes in the little dark bags under his eyes and the tiredness in his sight, despite the fact that Dongwoo is pretty sure Sunggyu went to sleep quite early last night.

“Woohyun?” He asks tentatively.

Sunggyu nods without saying a thing, and Dongwoo sighs, finally standing up.

“M’kay, let’s make breakfast”

Both males walk to their kitchen but only one of them actually starts cooking. Sunggyu climbs up the counter on the side, his hand hidden on the inside of his sleeve as he positions it on his mouth out of boredom. He watches Dongwoo take the skillets out and cracking open some eggs for them to eat. Dongwoo laughs as he peaks an eye.

“I sometimes wonder who’s the hyung.”  





Sunggyu walks inside the lecture room a bit too early, yet, there’s a student sitting at the front, playing with his phone. Sunggyu half smiles.

“What are you doing here?” He asks, backpack falling on the floor.

Myungsoo doesn’t look away from his phone to answer. “My 7AM class got cancelled so I figured to come here, since it’s empty.” Sunggyu peaks an eye at what he’s playing, managing to see the last as Myungsoo’s character dies.

The younger frowns and Sunggyu chuckles lightly. He turns around to the older.

“What are you doing here?”

Sunggyu’s little smile dies down. “Woke up really early, couldn’t sleep more.”

Myungsoo frowns. “And why aren’t you with Woo— oh… right,” he chuckles, “I forgot.”

The older sighs, sulking and plopping down on his desk, face hiding on the inside of his arms.

Myungsoo smiles to himself, taking his phone again and starting another game match.



Throughout the class, Sunggyu doesn’t pay much attention, mind slipping away, thinking about a certain someone. He plays with the ends of his pencil, flicking them against the sheet and even sometimes writing out his name, pretending that he’s taking notes. Myungsoo peaks half an hour later, after the professor said something he didn’t catch. He counts at least 15 Nam Woohyun’s written on the white sheet and titters to himself, Sunggyu finally looking at his side to him.

He smiles, kind of nostalgically.

Myungsoo rolls his eyes and passes a piece of paper to him.

Just be patient, it says.





On the afternoon, right after he finishes his classes for the day, he meets Sungjong in their favorite café.

The younger had texted him, asking for some academic advice and telling him that they need to meet up ASAP. Sunggyu answers with an okay. without thinking, fully knowing he had sadly nothing to do after classes. The place is half full when he arrives, and Sungjong is already sitting down on one of the tables, two cups of Ice Americano (one obviously for him) and a bunch of papers scattered around.

Sungjong’s eyes light up when he sees Sunggyu. “Hyung!” He waves, and Sunggyu half smiles, letting the door close on its own as he walks up the few steps in the entrance and makes his way towards the opposite side of the table.

“Hey, Jjongie.” He greets quite softly and friendly, making Sungjong smile at him with the same softness.

Sungjong can be quite a pain in the sometimes, but there’s a reason why he matches Sunggyu so well— because he can see through him. He sees the dark bags under his eyes, the same bags that Dongwoo sighed at in the morning, and understands the soft smiles Myungsoo tittered at in class.

“You tired?” He asks, a motherly smile on his face.

Sunggyu shakes his head, fooling no one. Sungjong raises an eyebrow, and he laughs. “Didn’t sleep well last night.”

“You want to rest instead?” Sungjong asks tentatively, ready to gather the papers and take this to another time. “Maybe a coffee wasn’t the best—“

“No, no” Sunggyu shakes his head, reaching for the Ice Americano and taking a big sip through the straw. “I’m alright, I swear. What’s all this about, anyway?”

“University pamphlets.” Sungjong answers, cheeks getting pink. “These are the ones that are offering me a scholarship, these are the ones that aren't, and they’re organized from the closest to farthest away from here.”

Sunggyu chuckles.

“Why are you concerned on the distance?” He asks, taking some in his hands to read the information.

“I don’t want to be away from you guys” Sungjong explains with a low voice.

“It’s fine, Jjong, we won’t loose touch of you choose to go to— wow, Busan University is offering you a scholarship?”

Sungjong nods, hands covering his mouth for the sake to have them somewhere. “They’re offering me a 80% scholarship. I’m considering between Busan or the one you hyungs attend to.”

“What is our university offering you?” Sunggyu asks, scanning Busan University pamphlet.

“40%.” Sungjong sighs. “I can apply for a higher scholarship after 2nd se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter