Tempest Violet

Tints, Shades and Tones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was like the constant dripping of water, or maybe the same sensation that wearing damp socks gave. Ravi couldn’t quite place what was so uncomfortable about Leo’s gaze but he still felt it through to his soul. It didn’t take much longer for the glitters of joy to be hidden beneath the rankling stare. Ravi set his utensils down and gave Ken a tight smile.

Ken’s eyes flicked from Ravi to Leo and back, a small sigh slipping between his lips.

“I’m gonna go,” Ravi mumbled, desperate to escape.

Ken’s lips thinned, his eyes flicking to Leo once more before nodding.

“OK.”

Ravi’s eyes closed, relief the colour of cool water washing through him. He stood and left the kitchen, a conflicting dirty brown growing in his mind.

Typical Ravi, leaving when things are tough.

He slipped his phone into his pocket, ignoring the 23 missed calls.

Typical Ravi, running away from someone.

He found his abandoned car keys hiding beneath Ken’s bed.

Typical Ravi, nothing but selfishness and cowardice.

He sunk onto the mattress, covering his face with his hands.

Cool fingers took his wrists and pulled the hands away. Ken’s face was smiling, eyes amused as he stared into Ravi’s.

“I don’t want you to go,” Ken mumbled, cheeks flushing red.

Ravi stayed silent, nothing but murk swishing around his brain.

“I know you have to. You didn’t even bring any clothes to wear.”

“He doesn’t want me here.” The words popped out and Ravi’s eyes clenched shut.

“Mm, I don’t care,” Ken’s finger Ravi’s cheek before disappearing once more. “Have you got everything?”

“I didn’t bring anything.” A slow trickle of pink melted through the murk.

“Call me when you get home safe,” Ken said, leaning forward to kiss Ravi soft and slow.

“Now I don’t want to go,” Ravi smiled, letting his murk drain completely as he looked at Ken.

“Yes, you do,” Ken grinned. “Besides, if you stay here, Hakyeon will come back and I won’t be held responsible for my actions.”

“He’s not usually that bad,” Ravi sighed and stood slowly. “I’ll call you. I have some ideas we can work out.”

“OK,” Ken gave him another casual kiss. It still sent shocks through to his toes. “Drive safe.”

Ravi smiled, taking one last look before leaving.

 

Something was prodding his neck, a poking fingernail against his tense muscle until he woke up. Hongbin dragged his head from the back of the makeup chair and blinked rapidly. He wanted to wipe his eyes, the artist would hit him if he did. Instead he looked around, heavy-lidded and still half-asleep.

“You’re ringing, sweetie.” The makeup artist nodded to the phone in his lap.

Hongbin groaned, clearing his throat and picking up the call.

“Have you returned from your tantrum?” Hongbin teased, straightening in the chair.

“Have you finished your pining yet?” N snapped in reply. Hongbin’s nose wrinkled and he fought against his hurt at the comment.

“What are you calling me for?” He changed the subject, wanting to keep N as far from that topic as possible.

“I wanted to chat,” N replied, his voice slippery even through the phone.

“Are you drunk? It’s—” Hongbin checked his watch, “5. OK, so it’s reasonable. But how long have you been drunk?”

“Says the one napping at 5,” Mumbled the makeup artist. Hongbin grinned and laid a finger over his painted lips.

“That’s really not the point.” N’s voice was arch, Hongbin could practically see him examining his nails through the phone. “The point is you need to come and drink with me. We have so much to talk about.”

“I can’t,” Hongbin sighed, his smile turning sad. “I’m working. Do you ever work lately?”

“Eh, when I feel like it,” N joked. “Where are you working? Why are you working?”

“At the studio over on Montague.” Hongbin sighed, wrinkling his nose again until the makeup artist flicked his ear. “I’m working because that’s what pays my bills.”

There was a suspended moment, Hongbin was left staring at his madeup face in the mirror while N chose his reply. Heavy liner, pale cheeks with a hint of contouring that altered his face shape to almost gaunt. His thick hair already styled into a chic updo, all that was left was to be called up to the set for the last shots.

“It won’t be forever,” N’s voice was different now, soft and caring. “It’ll change soon.”

“I know,” Hongbin gave a long sigh wishing he could at least run a hand through his hair. Instead he toyed with the arm of his chair restlessly.

“Anyway, when you’re finished there come over. I need to talk to you. We need to talk.” N pressed, his voice back to it’s usual sassy tone.

“Maybe, it’s been a huge day.”

“Boo. You .”

The phone gave an abrupt tone and Hongbin stared at it. N had hung up on him. He gave another sigh and shook his head.

 

Leo stood in the studio, eyes intent on the sketch pinned to the wall. A broad panorama of a mountain top, in the distance a small bird seemed to be diving. Or perhaps it was falling. He leant a little closer, trying to find any further clues. Ken sat in the corner, lips wrinkled as he waited for Leo to finish.

“Is it flying? Or falling?” Leo asked, turning to catch Ken’s face falling back to a neutral expression.

Ken shrugged, giving a cavalier smile. “I don’t know. Is it flying or falling?” He asked back.

“I hate it when you do that,” Leo mumbled and turned to have another look.

Ken rolled his eyes and shifted to stretch his legs.

“It’s flying,” Leo finally announced and turned back to Ken, trying to find whether he was right or wrong. The artist’s face didn’t change. Leo’s eyes narrowed and he stared a while longer before throwing his arms up in defeat. “I give up. Tell me.”

“It is whatever you want it to be,” Ken said, shrugging again before hauling himself to his feet. “Are we done yet?”

Leo took a deep breath as though trying to remain patient but didn’t speak. Instead he simply nodded and waved Ken out of the studio ah

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter