Lost Stars

Wish Tree

Description: The night Wendy had fallen asleep and dreamt of Joohyun.

Genre: Angst

Inspired by a cutscene.

--------

A girl lay peacefully in the field of grass, where the air was still and quiet. The grass was soft, comforting, and she slept on her stomach with her head facing sideways. Her blonde hair and her black dress spread along the grass, flat on the ground. The serenity of it all allowed her to stay comfortable as her eyes remained shut.

It wasn’t long until she heard a ruffled against the grass that made her opened her eyes.

“I’ve finally get to see you again.” A light voice called out, echoing to her ears.

Wendy opened to a blurry vision and all she could see was an outline of a female in a white dress flowed down to her ankle. Her eyes slowly began to refocus and she started to recognize the faint detail of the girl in front of her. Her long brunette hair fell imply on her shoulder and her pale skin glowed against the casted light from the sky.

“Joohyun?”

Her vision corrected itself as Joohyun took a few step closer to her. She used her arms to push herself up off the grass along with her knees so she could greet Joohyun properly. The elation suddenly overwhelmed her as she saw her lover.

“So you manage to get here.” Joohyun stopped a feet away from her.

“You manage to find me.” She said with excitement while she was still on the ground, but on her knees. She began to pat herself to get rid of the dirt that climbed onto her.

“If I could have a chance to see you, then I wouldn’t want to miss it.” Joohyun smiled and turned her head sideways to look at the never ending field that drifted until it disappeared along with the sky.

Wendy finally stood on her feet.

“What do you mean?” She smiled back with curious eyes. She felt like she couldn’t contain her feelings, there was so much to tell to Joohyun and they wanted to spill out already. Joohyun looked at her with her gentle brown eyes.

“Because my prayers have been answered. I am able to fulfill my time.” Joohyun answered in her calm voice, although there was a small dose of happiness in it.

“What did you pray for?” She prompted again.

“That I was able to meet the love of my life, and that you will continue on.” Joohyun’s voice drifted softly, but the feeling of content was there.

Wendy’s expression darkened and she frowned deeply. The words struck to her hard like a knife to her chest. This wasn’t a dream anymore. It was her awakening of the reality. It felt like she wasn’t living anymore, when actually it was Joohyun that was gone.

They didn’t exist in the same world anymore and she was still living inside her grief.

Wendy looked down feeling the joy replaced by sorrow coursing through her body. She wanted to wrap her arms around Joohyun to find comfort and convey her love, but there was an unknown force that was preventing her from doing so – scared that she might break if she touched her.

“But… that doesn’t mean…you have to leave right?” She looked at Joohyun with hopeful eyes, praying that she was proven right.

 Joohyun took another step, this time she was a couple inches closer and she could see all of her features clearly, like how she remembered them to be. She stared at her eyes and saw the deep sadness from Joohyun’s.

“Do you remember the legend of the young man, Wendy?” Joohyun slowly turned away and paced around Wendy until she was two feet apart from her again. Wendy’s eyes followed Joohyun as she tried to recall the story she had told under the starry night.

“A faithful heart makes wishes come true.” Wendy answered.

Joohyun looked to the sky as if there was something up there. She still remembered the story that Wendy had told her. Under the sky, where the stars shined brightly, a man was granted a wish under the bridge.

“The stars still awaits for you to make a wish.”

Wendy adjusted her body so she was faced fully toward Joohyun again.

“Will you be there?” She asked as if she was trying to find the silver lining between them.

Joohyun paused and blinked as her eyes casted downwards. There was nothing left she could do for Wendy. She closed her eyes and slowly shook her head. When Wendy took a step forward to oppose, a sudden wind force caused her to stumble back and made the words stuck in . She tried to block the dust flying into her eyes with her arm shielding above her forehead, leaving a small gap bellow so she could still see Joohyun.

Joohyun’s top layer white dress picked up against the wind as it danced along with it, as well as her soft long brunette hair. The grass waved aggressively and rattled against the gust.

“I wished to join you…” Joohyun said as she too yearned to be with Wendy.

Wendy gritted her teeth as the wind became more violent. However, there was no change of expression from Joohyun as she was unaffected from the storm and her eyes still remained the same. Full of sorrow.

“but this moment will have to be enough.”

The wind storm began to soften until it breezed through Wendy’s light blonde hair. Her hopes were shattered and broken pieces lay on the ground. The agony washed over her, tormenting her from the inside. Torn by their destiny.

“Why…?” her voice shook.

Wendy bit back the tears that was pooling around her eyes as her eyebrow furrowed together. There was so much lost between them that she wanted to make back the time again. She believed that they were meant to be, remembering the joy brought to her and the happiness they shared.

They were two broken souls now. If she had known it would end up in despair, she would’ve tried to find a way to make sure that they would be together. She didn’t want to accept the cruel fate, rejecting every piece of it and angered that she couldn’t do anything. Anything to bring back Joohyun.

She couldn’t save Joohyun.

The anger soon turned into regrets and pain which sunk deep in her heart.

 “All I ever wanted…” Wendy inhaled deeply to remove the tightness in . Tears were threatening to leave her eyes in seconds.

“All I ever wanted… was to be with you.”

A single tear spilled down her right cheeks and the wind storm came to a stop. Her visions became blurry again and so she blinked as more tears fell out. She didn’t deny them anymore. She needed to see Joohyun clearly again.

Joohyun wished to wipe them away.

Wendy’s heartbreak was loud, as she could feel the desperation in them. It screamed at her not to go, not to leave her alone. She understood what Wendy could not convey to her.

“When you feel like your heart is lost.” Joohyun reached down to find a single white flower in the green field and plucked it off the ground. She held the flower in front of her closely to her chest, and her finger grazed the soft pedals. It reminded her of the time Wendy gave her a single red rose. Wendy’s sweet smile was what she loved the most.

“When you find yourself alone, in the mist of the darkness” Joohyun paused as she started to step backwards. It was the time she had left to this world, where she once shared the same blue sea and the bright sky together. A place where she found love with Wendy.

She cherished every second with Wendy and held it preciously, containing those feeling in her heart. The memories left between them were bittersweet, knowing everything ended with goodbyes. She wanted to see Wendy smile again and made her final wish, silently whispering to the flower so it heard her.

“Please remember to look to the distance. And know that I am there.” Joohyun finally looked up into her eyes with deep sincere. Her eyes spoke words telling her that it’d be alright, that Wendy didn’t have to suffer too much and telling her that every fiber left still loved Wendy. There was a warm lightness that enveloped her from behind as she walked closer to it.

“I will watch over you, always.” Joohyun smiled bitterly, satisfied that this was enough and sad for their parting, hoping that Wendy will forgive her one day.

“Goodbye, Wendy”

Wendy chased after her until the only thing that’s left of Joohyun was the single white flower that had fallen on the ground.