Chapter 9

New Start, Old Beginnings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junmyeon stayed well into the night, despite the fact Alex was in and out of sleep most of the day. 

She was thankful though for, without him, she probably wouldn’t have eaten at all, or hurt herself more by attempting to move around like there was no problem.  The painkillers kept sending her to sleep, sometimes on Junmyeon himself, sometimes not. 

‘Alex,’ he whispered into her ear, the side of her face that was positioned so comfortably in the crook of his shoulder.

‘Hmm,’ she moaned with her eyes still closed.

‘Alex, stop being cute, I have to go.’ He half moaned. Her eyes shot open, what time was it?

‘Oh, I’m sorry,’ opening her eyes, the room was dark, it felt late, and she felt guilty he had done nothing but be her nurse all day long. 

‘You need to stop apologising.  I wanted to be here.  But I need to take a shower.  Go back to sleep ok?’ he kissed her forehead lightly. 

She watched him as he looked over his shoulder at her winking, leaving the room.  He closed the door very gently, and she heard him open the front door and leave. 

One thing she did like very much about the Junmyeon she knew so far, was he never assumed anything.  He didn’t seem to assume to stay overnight with her, even though obviously nothing would happen.  He didn’t try to kiss her, he was sweet and just kissed her forehead to show his affection.  Even when she was sitting half- in her bra, he didn’t say anything, he was sweet, he didn’t bring it up again and embarrass her.  He was the perfect gentleman. 

She snuggled her face back into the pillow intending to fall right back to sleep when she heard the door open and close. 

‘Junmyeon?’ she tried to shout out, thinking he had come back forgetting something.

‘Nope.’ Said the cheery voice of Baekhyun.  He opened the bedroom door and stood there leaning against the wall.  ‘How you doing butterfly?’ His face was set in its usual cheeky grin.

‘How did you get in here?’ She questioned, somewhat irritated by the fact he had just let himself in when she could have been sleeping. 

‘Oh, Chanyeol wrote the passcode down to your door.  I stole it for this very purpose.’ He told her with his eyebrows raised as if he was the smartest human to have walked the planet. 

She groaned into the pillow.  ‘I can change the passcode on that thing, right?’ she asked him genuinely annoyed now.

‘Sure, you can, but why would you want to, when I can come and see you anytime I like now?’ he beamed further. 

His grinning was grating on her, but it bugged her Chanyeol had taken the liberty of writing the code down.  Why? 

‘Why did Chanyeol write the code down?’ She questioned him suspiciously.  After all, Yoda should know everything.

‘When he left here last night to come and get food to make you.  He needed a way to get back in butterfly.’ He answered simply. He had a pretty good excuse she thought giving him the benefit of the doubt, but leaving the code around were fools like Baekhyun could get at it wasn’t easy to forgive.

‘Why are you here?’ she asked him.  He pushed himself up off the wall and walked into the room, spotting the small sofa to the side of the bed he sat himself down and leaned back as if he was in his own bedroom.

‘I was concerned, I’ve come to see how you are.’ His face relaxed feigning innocence.  She knew better. 

‘And you waited until two minutes after Junmyeon left to come?’ she questioned pulling herself up slightly, wincing at the pain still in her backbone.

‘Do you need help there?’ he stood up quite suddenly, turning from a cheeky child-like creature into a serious man within the blink of an eye.

‘No, I’m ok.’  The pain had eased from the morning, it was just a bit stiff. 

He sat back down and eyed her for a while, waiting for her to fully settle before he answered her question.

‘Well, if I came when Junmyeon was here, that would really spoil all the fun I’m having.’ He sighed relaxing back into the sofa. 

‘Is there something wrong with you?’ she asked him wondering what brand of crazy Baekhyun was. 

‘No.’ he pouted.  ‘I’m normal, everyone else is weird.’ He winked. 

He had broken her down.  Giggling with him she began to relax a little, although it was still bizarre he had just wandered into her house like this.

‘So, you’ve been getting nursed all day by Junmyeon.’ He stated.  It wasn’t a question.  ‘And as I believe it, nurse Chanyeol was here, all night long.’ He spoke the second line slowly.

‘Seems your observations are correct.’ She told him, not quite sure what he was getting at. 

‘Uhuh, uhuh, interesting.’ He nodded his eyes wandering to the TV making out like he was deep in thought.

‘What is interesting about that?’ confusion fell over her face.

‘For me to know and you to find out.’ He smirked.  She huffed at him in protest, but he did not elaborate. 

‘And, I believe you are going to be working with our big Chanyeol.’  His tone was almost accusatory.  His eyes narrowed but the smile on his face was smug.  He’d found out the big secret and thought he was so clever. 

‘I believe I am,’ she said lightly as if the whole thing was simply uninteresting to her.

‘Uhuh, interesting.’ He repeated taping his hands on his lips. 

‘You are annoying.  I can’t believe you just walked in here.  I’m injured you know.’ She huffed giving in to him.

He grinned at her devilishly.  ‘I am sorry about that, but how else am I supposed to come visit, from what I have heard it seems you can’t really get up and answer the door.’

‘Not today I can’t’ she grumbled.

He chuckled, his eyes were kind, even though he was mischievous. 

She really needed a shower, and she really needed him to leave.  Looking around awkwardly, he noticed.

‘Do you need help butterfly?’ he asked, the serious Baekhyun peeking out but punctuated with the annoying pet name he had chosen for her.

‘Um,’ she began, not really wanting his help but seeing no other way. 

‘Come on, I can help you.’ He stood up.

She sighed, ‘I need a shower.’ She admitted glumly.

‘Oh,’ he took half a step back his eyes widened. 

She frowned at him.  The thought occurred to her that it would have been easier having Junmyeon help her shower, but then again, that would be filled with , she didn’t feel any of that around Baekhyun.

‘Ok, then.’ He said, having thought it through and manned up to help.  He came close to the bed and bent down to pick her up.  ‘Put your arm around my shoulders.’ He told her, this time he was not grinning manically, he didn’t look smug. 

Hesitantly she put her arm around his shoulder, and he heaved her up into his arms carefully. 

Although he was small, he was strong, as her body leaned against his she could feel the muscles hiding under his shirt. 

He took her into the bathroom and stood there looking around. 

‘You should take a bath,’ he said after standing there mutely for a minute. 

‘What?’ she said looking up at him.  His small eyes narrowed at her slightly.  Their faces were very close together, uncomfortably so.

‘You have a bathtub, get a bath.  It will help your back and you don’t have to stand in the shower.’ He explained.

‘I don’t know if I can get in an out of the bath,’ she mumbled looking down at the tub.

‘Ok, so I’ll help you with that.’ He said.

Eyeing him suspiciously he added. ‘Listen I’ll step outside while you change, put a towel around you, then I can help you get in the bath, when your finished, let the water out, put the towel around you again and I’ll pull you out ok?’ He spoke carefully, evidently trying to reassure her.  She saw no other way around it. 

She nodded at him and, so he placed her down on the side of the bath, and handed her a towel from the rail. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter