The Start of Something New

It Ain't That Bad

Mornings have never been Jongin’s forte. Ever since he was a child, he was always a heavy sleeper and had a hard time waking up for school, barely managing to make it to class on time. Even when his mother yelled at him to wake up and tried to drag him out of bed, he still slept like a log. It took a tremendous effort on his part to wake up in the morning and it usually consisted of at least five alarms, all set five minutes after the next, with a nice little self-deprecating message to make him feel bad for sleeping in paired with the most annoying song he knew to get him out of bed.

The night before the first day of classes, Jongin promised himself that he would wake up after the first alarm went off so that he would have enough time to get ready. And yet here he was, four alarms in and still sleeping like a baby.

As the obnoxious kazoo cover of a k-pop song he came across on his Tumblr dashboard started blaring at exactly 8:40 AM, Jongin was still motionless underneath his covers. Only after his alarm ended did he start to squirm, finally showing signs of life and consciousness.

The boy let out a grunt as he slowly sat up in bed, his blanket falling onto his lap in a heap. He looked around the room through bleary eyes and saw that Sehun’s bed was empty, the blanket haphazardly shoved into one corner and his pajamas lying on top. He ran a hand through his hair and grabbed his phone from his dresser to check the time.

His eyes snapped open when he saw that it was nearing 8:45 and he gasped when he realized he only had a mere fifteen minutes to get out of bed, wash up, and run to his class which was on the other side of campus.

“ ,” he muttered under his breath as he jumped out of bed.

Swiping his toiletries from his desk, he hastily put on his slippers and dashed out of his room to head to the bathroom. He had to pee really badly but when he saw that all the stalls were occupied, he groaned and settled on brushing his teeth quickly while shifting his weight from foot to foot to hold it in. Luckily a stall opened up right after he washed his face and he rushed in to relieve himself.

Jongin then raced back to his room, nearly mowing down a sleepy student who was trudging his way to the bathroom. He threw on random clothes and when he grabbed his phone, he let out a whine when he saw he only had five minutes before class started. He slipped on his sneakers, grabbed his bag, stuffed a granola bar into the smaller pocket, and finally left his room.

The freshman huffed as he jogged towards the building where his class was, cursing himself for thinking that he could wake up in time for a
9 AM class. At least he worked out from time to time so he managed to make it to his class without feeling too winded. It was awkward when he walked in right behind the professor but he found a seat right by the door and sat down before he could attract any more attention to himself (no one really cared but he swore everyone stared at him when he walked in).

“Good morning, I’m Professor Park and this is Intro to Speech. I’m just going to do attendance really quick so I can try to match names to faces so bear with me here,” the tiny middle-aged lady said with a smile.

As she read through the roster, Jongin perked up when he heard two familiar names being called out. He turned his head and saw Kyungsoo and Junmyeon sitting all the way in the back, their laptops propped up in front of them and looking equally sleepy. They hadn’t noticed the younger yet but surely, they heard his name being called.

Professor Park then started to hand out the course’s syllabus and made her way back to the front. She leaned back against the large wooden desk and smiled. “Well, since it’s just the first day, I’m just going to go over the course requirements, what our schedule is like for the semester,
put you guys into groups for your midterm project, take any questions, and then call it a day. Sound good?”

The students all started muttering to each other ‘midterm project?’ and ‘wait she made groups?’, taken aback by the sudden mention of a group project for their midterm.

Jongin was in the middle of a mental breakdown when Professor Park mentioned the midterm project because wait a second, everyone on rate my professor said she was super easy and didn’t mention a group project

“Don’t worry, I’ll explain everything as I go through the syllabus. As I said before, this is Intro to Speech so this is your last chance to leave if you’re in the wrong class…”

The woman went through the syllabus, which largely consisted of the regular “don’t plagiarize or you’ll be reported to the dean” and “this course is fairly simple, just do the assignments and you’ll be fine” spiel. The course outline was succinct so that was covered in a jiffy.

“And what you all have been waiting for, I’m going to announce the groups for the midterm project now. I’m trying something new this semester so bear with me.”

A student in the middle row raised her hand and asked, “Professor, if this project isn’t due until midterm week, why are you assigning groups now?”

“To help you all make friends!”

The class fell silent and the woman laughed. “I’m kidding. Well, group projects are a great way to get to know your classmates but the real reason why I’m assigning groups early on is that we’ll be doing group work during class next week. So, make sure you sit with your groups next time we meet. Any other questions?”

Jongin had so many questions running through his mind but he chose to stay quiet, staring intensely at his copy of the syllabus instead.

“If there’s nothing else, I’ll begin assigning the groups now.”

Groups of three were being called out and Jongin prayed that whoever he ended up with actually did their fair share of the work. Every time he had to do a group project, he always ended up doing the majority of the work and watched as his partners received praises upon praises for their good work when it really was Jongin’s.

“The next group is Do Kyungsoo, Kim Jongin, and Kim Junmyeon. Please raise your hands so you can locate your partners.”

Jongin’s heart skipped a beat when he heard Kyungsoo and Junmyeon’s names being called along with his. He raised his hand and turned to the back, smiling when he noticed the upperclassmen had bright grins on their faces.

After all the groups were announced, the professor dismissed class cheerily. “That’s it for today! If you have any questions, feel free to email me or drop by my office hours. See you all next Monday!”

The students all started filing out of the classroom as Jongin packed his things. He saw a hand tap his desk and he looked up to find Kyungsoo and Junmyeon smiling at him.

“Hey, what are the odds that all three of us are in the same class and end up in the same group?” Junmyeon chuckled.

Jongin had a shy smile as he got up from his seat. “It’s pretty crazy. Why are you guys taking this class anyways? I thought juniors were done with the core courses already.”

Suddenly, Junmyeon’s face grew dark and Kyungsoo snorted. “This guy,” he said as he jabbed his finger in his roommate’s direction, “took this last semester but failed by just a tiny bit so he’s retaking it this semester. As for me, I kept pushing this class back because I absolutely hate speech but I figured that it would be better if I got it over with this semester since I’m going to be swamped once I started fourth year.”

“Oh.”

Junmyeon ran a hand through his hair and groaned, “God, I can’t believe I have to retake this damned class.”

“It’s okay, you’ll do fine. At least you’re in a group with us and not some total strangers,” Kyungsoo said in an attempt to comfort the boy.

“Y-Yeah! I promise to pull my weight on the midterm project so don’t worry too much,” Jongin added hurriedly.

The physics major pouted and then rested his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. The shorter sighed as he patted his head and then he looked at Jongin. “So, when’s your next class?”

Jongin blinked and he pulled out his phone so he could check his schedule. “I don’t have class until one. Might head back to my room to sleep a bit more or grab something to eat.”

“Why don’t you come eat with us? We both skipped breakfast this morning so we could really use some food,” Kyungsoo suggested.

“Sounds good. Where are you going to eat?”

“We’re just going down to the basement. Have you had a chance to check out the dining halls yet?”

Jongin trailed behind the two as they exited the room and started heading downstairs. “I’ve been in the dining hall by your dorm but that’s about it.”

Kyungsoo skipped the last two steps and landed with a soft thud. “So, there’s this dining hall, one in the building across, a small café in the library, a retro diner near the dorms as well, as well as one in the law building. We hop around but sometimes we eat off campus as well since there’s discount for students. You should go around with Sehun one day. One of you have a car?”

The trio entered the dining hall, still empty since classes were going on. Jongin looked around at the different options and shrugged. “I don’t but I don’t know about Sehun. We could always Uber, I guess. Wow, you even have Dunkin?”

Junmyeon nodded as he looked around. “Yeah and there’s Starbucks in the building across. Just avoid going when classes end because you’ll be stuck on line for like ten minutes. I’m gonna check what soup options they have today.”

The boy headed for the deli and Kyungsoo and Jongin were left standing in the middle. “Wow, I have no idea what I want.”

“The safe choices are probably Burger King, Subways, Dunkin, or the deli. If you’re feeling adventurous, they have rice bowls and pizza but those don’t open until eleven. Everything else is up for grabs though.”

Jongin looked down at the elder and said, “Hey, why are you being so nice to me? We only met like two days ago.”

Kyungsoo quirked an eyebrow and asked, “Do you not want me to be nice?”

“No!”

The elder laughed and Jongin felt his heart skip at his endearing heart-shaped smile. “Then I’ll just continue being nice to you. It’s not a crime to be nice.”

“Right…”

Junmyeon came back with a small container in his hands and a bright smile on his face. “They had clam chowder,” he chirped. “What a great way to start off the semester.”

Kyungsoo snorted, “You say that now but you’re gonna get sick of it real soon just like you did with the lobster bisque last semester.”

“Am not! Clam chowder is one of those soups I can have all the time and not get tired of it.”

“Wanna bet on that?”

The physics major faltered and Kyungsoo patted his shoulder. “That’s what I thought. I’m gonna go to Dunkin for a coffee. Did you decide what you want yet?”

When Jongin realized that the elder was talking to him, he blinked. “Oh, me? Um, I want Burger King but I feel like it’s too early for chicken fries.”

Junmyeon shook his head and said, “It’s never early for chicken fries. Literally, no one cares about what you do or eat so no need to be so self-conscious all the time. If you want the chicken fries, get the chicken fries. I’m gonna go grab us a table while you guys get food.”

Jongin watched the elder embark on his search for an empty table and he turned to Kyungsoo with a dumbfounded look on his face. The shorter chuckled, “You heard the man. Go get your chicken fries.”

 

 

 

Breakfast with the two juniors was pretty much the most interesting meal he’s had since he started classes. They had quite a lot of tips and hacks for him and he was thankful that he would be seeing them often because he was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed.

“Professors always say you need the textbook for class but honestly, there are times where they never use it. So, don’t go blowing hundreds of dollars on textbooks after the first class. Wait a bit to see if they actually use it and if they do, always look online first for a PDF version. If you can find it, download it or torrent it or whatever. If you can’t, ask a friend to split the cost of the textbook with you. You’ll save a ton of money that way. Oh, you should join the buying and selling group on Facebook too. I’ll add you since you probably haven’t seen it yet,” Kyungsoo sagely said as he popped a tater tot in his mouth.

Jongin hummed as he dipped a fry into his barbecue sauce. “Wow, I’m really glad I didn’t buy any textbooks yet.”

Junmyeon shook his head as he leaned back into his seat. “The bookstore is a sham. Torrenting is the way to go.”

Kyungsoo snorted and then said, “Also, you’re gonna want to keep the syllabus. People probably told you that you won’t need it but that thing is gonna be like your schedule for the semester. All the important dates, assignments, and topics are gonna be in it so don’t throw it out. Always look back at it to check when your exams are or when you have papers due. You’re probably just gonna procrastinate like the rest of us but at least you tried.”

The freshman nearly inhaled his food from laughing and coughed. Junmyeon cracked a nostalgic smile and crossed his arms over his chest. “It’s always the effort that counts.”

Jongin took a sip of his water and looked at the two. “You know, this reminds of that show Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide. You two are like Ned and I’m the viewer listening to all the great advice you’re giving.”

Junmyeon guffawed and nearly spilled some soup. “God, I haven’t heard of that show in a while. I remember being so out of it when they revealed the Coconut Head’s hair was actually a wig.”

Kyungsoo ignored the boy and took a sip of his coffee. “If it helps.”

Jongin trudged back to his room after attending his stats lecture and it was safe to say that it was a snooze fest. Half the class was dozing off during the professor’s introduction so he didn’t feel as bad when he knocked out and nearly dropped his head onto the desk. The boy unlocked the door and stepped in before losing his balance and almost face planting onto the ground. Luckily, he caught his balance using his chair and he looked back to see an open cardboard box staring at him.

“Dude, you okay?”

Jongin looked up and saw Sehun walking into the room with another box similar to the one he just tripped on. The brunet got up from the floor and dusted his knees off. “Yeah, I’m fine. What are all these boxes?”

The blond walked around Jongin and dumped the box on his bed. “Oh, it’s my stuff.”

“Wait, what? I thought you had all your stuff already?”

“Did you really think that all the stuff I brought with me on move-in day was it?”

Jongin fell silent and Sehun snorted. “Guess I put up a pretty convincing act.”

The brunet frowned as he threw his bag on the floor and jumped onto his bed. “You sounded so serious that I thought you were for real! I was even prepared to let you use my detergent and everything!”

“And I probably will use it along with my own. If you’re free for the rest of the day, do you wanna help me unpack my things?”

Jongin sighed and slid off his bed. “Yeah, sure.”

As the roommates tidied everything up, Sehun asked, “So, how was class?”

Jongin hummed as he folded a shirt. “Uh, stats was boring like half the class just disassociated after five minutes. Oh, I have speech with Kyungsoo and Junmyeon and we’re in the same group for the semester so that’s exciting.”

“Exciting because you’re with Kyungsoo, your crush?”

Jongin’s eyes widened and he looked up to see Sehun giving him a sly smile. “What are you talking about?! I don’t have a crush on Kyungsoo!” He exclaimed as he threw the shirt at the blond.

Sehun cackled as the shirt hit him in the face and he leaned back against his bed. “Yeah, you do. When he walked into Chanyeol’s room the other night, you were totally staring him down. Not to mention how you basically stuck by his side for the rest of the night.”

“That’s because we were just talking!”

“There were like seven other guys in the room you could’ve talked to but you were practically glued to his side the entire night. Don’t worry, I totally understand you. Kyungsoo’s a pretty handsome guy and I know one when I see one.”

Jongin sputtered and Sehun continued, “Plus, I think Kyungsoo was digging your vibe too.”

The brunet clamped his mouth shut as his cheeks flared up. “Y-You think so?”

“So you do have a crush on him?”

“I do not! At least, I think I don’t…”

Sehun leaned forward to pat his roommate’s shoulder. “Well whatever it is you have going on for him, just know you can always talk to me about it.”

Jongin gave him a small smile. “Thanks, man.”

“Don’t worry about it. Now let’s hurry the up because I’m starving.”

“Did you not eat lunch?”

“I did. What’s your point?”

“Nothing.”

 

 

 

it's been over a month since the first chapter and here it finally is! sorry if there are any mistakes, i will come back to fix those later on
this chapter is just to get things started so expect some crazy later on
also, it'd be nice if you guys actually took something away from this because while some of the stuff going on is ridiculous and unrealistic, a lot of the advice i'm including is legit stuff i tell my friends and stuff that others tell me
i have a break next week so i'll try to update then but no promises
hope you guys enjoyed this update!
also, did anyone catch where the title is from? extra points for you if you do lol
this is jongin's alarm btw if anyone was interested