Famous Client

When you look at me, Who do you see?

A/N: Hello readers, this is a fairly new idea. And I was a psych major/my field of interest. And I have been dying to explore some more psychological type of fics. This is about Joohyun being a psychiatrist hired to help Seulgi deal with her intense grief of losing her wife, who just happens to look alot like said wife. I do hope this will be an interesting read though.


 

Bae Joohyun has been a psychiatrist for the past 6 years, and throughout that time she has treated many an individual. She has seen cases all ranging from depression, anxiety, even various types of phobias that left clients debilitated. However, all the people she has seen and treated over the years. Never has she been presented with a case, such as the one of famed artist Kang Seulgi. Everyone knows who Kang Seulgi is, whether they are interested in art or not. Her story is a highly public one.

 

She is a well known artist, famous for her moving, expressive paintings, and murals too. Everyone knows of her humble, small beginnings to her rise to fame, and to the current sad present. For the past two years, Seulgi has been a bit of a recluse. She creates art only from her home now, as she never steps foot out in the public eye any longer. She will not do any interviews of any type. And keeps a select few people close to her.

 

The reason why is for the past two years Kang Seulgi has been grieving the loss of her deceased wife. Joohyun has looked at the stark differences in the art prior to her wife’s passing. Seulgi’s work before had been bright, colorful, full of life from every single line she sketched. Now, everything is dark, gray, full of hopelessness and a despair, that is hauntingly beautiful  and the same time. Joohyun, remembers when the artist’s best friend Son Seungwan came to her to request help.

 

(Flashback)

 

Joohyun normally doesn’t accept walk ins, unless it’s an absolute emergency. She also certainly wasn’t expecting a woman to show up offering her a huge check either. Yet, here she was in her office meeting with a woman who addressed herself as Son Seungwan.

 

“Ms. Son, was it? Can I please ask what this is about?”

 

“Dr. Bae, hi. Thank you for meeting with me. I’m the best friend of Kang Seulgi. Maybe you’ve heard of her?”

 

The Dr. nods. Of course she’s heard of Kang Seulgi. She’s a brilliant, artist turned recluse now. Even, though she isn’t particularly all that interested in art. She knows who Kang Seulgi is.

 

“I have, but what is that you want from me?”

 

“You were highly recommended Dr. Bae. And I am so worried about my friend. She’s been grieving her wife for two years. She’s not showing any signs of getting better. I’m prepared to offer any price, as long as she gets the help she needs.”

 

This is a highly unusual offer. It’s not everyday a best friend to someone famous comes in, with a check trying to offer it to her. That’s just how things go. Joohyun decides to at least assess the situation herself.

 

“Ms. Son, let me at least try to meet with Seulgi-ssi first. Hold your check for now.”


 

(End)


 

Joohyun was genuinely touched at the time by Seungwan’s plea on her best friend’s behalf. Joohyun could tell that she cared about her friend’s well being more than anything else. The raven haired doctor currently sits in her office, reading over some of the provided information about her soon to be client. There are also a few photos of a gorgeous, smiling monolid brunette who looks happy, full of life and promise. These are pictures that probably date back to some of the last times Seulgi was ever seen in public.

 

Joohyun, has never loved anyone so greatly to end up in such a severe state of depression that the artist is currently in. The logical part of her brain can’t imagine such a love being real. It’s fascinating though, to imagine a vibrant healthy person struck so profoundly by their grief that it affects their entire life. Now, Joohyun has been able to treat quite a few depressed patients. None, who refused to leave their house though. Meaning, she will have to make the trip to see her for sessions. Also, she has never worked with a famous person before. She has no idea what to expect going into this situation. More, than that she truly hopes she can help Kang Seulgi. No one should be a prisoner to their own grief.

 

Meanwhile, it’s another day for Kang Seulgi. Another day she’s alive and her wife isn’t. Most of her days she can’t bring herself out of bed. Many times, her housekeeper will have to help her so that she doesn’t starve or worse. Or if she’s up and out of bed, she spends the majority of her time holed up in her home art studio. She’ll have music on, all ballads that her wife loved or she’ll sketch in silence. When she actually feels like sketching, she hasn’t produced a painting in a year at least. Everything is either half finished or destroyed before she could bring herself to make anything.

 

Today happens to be a better day. She sits in her living room area with a cup of tea in hand. Two years she has been locked away in this huge house with memories of her dead wife, either forever haunting her or sometimes giving her some much needed peace. She’ll remember her smile, her laugh, and how adorable her wife could be. Seulgi will think of how her eyes would light up at the most seemingly simple things. Even if she isn’t here with her, her wife is still everywhere to her. Seulgi sometimes can’t sleep at night. She still reaches over for a body that is no longer there. A person that will never come back to her. She misses her other half more than anything. And would rather she be with her, only gets reminded by her closest friends. That her wife would never want her to do something so drastic, not for her sake.

 

The artist has never recovered from what happened to her, and Seulgi is fairly certain she will never love again. Not, that anyone could ever replace the love of her life. Seulgi may not be a part of the world in the way she one was. But she is not so unaware that she can’t tell when something is up. She has noticed that Seungwan has been acting weird lately. She keeps making phone calls in hushed voices. And she’s just being a bit too secretive for Seulgi’s tastes. Seungwan is her best friend, and has been there for her through everything. She would trust her with her life. The artist doesn’t see why there is a reason for her to be so strange these days. She’s so lost in her thoughts that she doesn’t hear Seungwan calling out to her.

 

“Seul, hey…” She eventually does hear her best friend enter.

 

Seungwan comes by often, as she is worried about her more than ever. Seulgi knows that to everyone else she should have stopped mourning. It’s not simple and you can’t just turn off grief. The brunette artist looks up from her tea.

 

“Wan, hi. What brings you by?”

 

“I’m just checking in, have you eaten yet?”

 

“No.”

 

Her appetite is usually very poor as she spends much of her time in bed. She’ll order takeout for the most part when she actually feels like doing so. Seungwan, makes sure there is plenty of food to eat though. Cooking meals for at least a week to make sure Seulgi doesn’t waste completely away.

 

“Seul, why didn’t you call me. You know I would have made you something. I’ll cook now, you need to eat.”

 

“Wan, you shouldn’t worry so much about me.”

 

The smaller blonde blinks several times. Why wouldn’t she not be worried about her? And why wouldn’t she want to be there for her best friend, whom she is concerned for. She has seen Seulgi waste away into almost nothing for the past two years. She only wants for her to heal and be well again. However, she does understand a bit as she has seen firsthand the devastation Seulgi has been dealing with.

 

“Hey, you know that I’m worried about you. You’re my best friend Seul.”

 

Seulgi changes the subject entirely. Since she is beyond sure something is going on behind her back.

 

“Can I ask what you’re up to?”

 

Seungwan isn’t surprised that Seulgi would be able to tell something is up. She’s been doing her best to not make it too obvious. Her best friend knows everything about her, just as she in turn knows everything too. The blonde knows that Seulgi will not accept Dr. Bae easily. She hasn’t accepted any other past psychiatrist either.

 

“Seul, I’m not trying to hurt you at all. I’m only trying to have you meet with a psychiatrist.”

 

“No!” Seulgi shuts it down right away. She has spoken to doctors before, and it has never worked out. She doesn’t need one now. There’s only one thing she wants and needs. Someone she can’t have any longer.

 

“Wan, I understand.” The artist sighs. “But, I don’t need any help. And I do not need to see some shrink who will try to fill me up with drugs. I’m already numb enough as it is.”

 

“Oh, Seul…”

 

“Listen I’m tired. I’m going to go back to bed.”

 

“But, you probably just got up. How about we try to go out to the gardens? You could use some air.”

 

“I’m tired. Wan, thank you but please no doctors.”

 

All Seungwan can do is watch her friend walk back up to her bedroom. She knows for sure that Seulgi needs the professional help. She knows it probably won’t be received well, but she will have Dr. Bae come over for a meeting tomorrow.

 

“Forgive me Seul, but I need to do this for your sake.”

 

Before Joohyun actually goes to meet with Kang Seulgi for the first time. A few of her colleagues are both congratulating her on her first prolific, and fascinating case. Also, they are just amazed too by the case too of reclusive artist Kang Seulgi. In Joohyun’s eyes this is more than someone famous. Kang Seulgi, at the end of the day is a human being. She is grieving her wife, and she needs the help to have some sense of normalcy again. Joohyun will treat her as she would any regular client. Despite, the fact that there isn’t anything regular about her or this case at all.

 

When morning came, Joohyun doesn’t know what to expect. She’s greeted at the front of the mansion by Seungwan. The petite blonde shows her around the mansion grounds for a little while. The lawns and gardens are all gorgeous, and clearly kept up by workers. The house itself is large, beautiful, and upscale in an artistic type of way. Joohyun, wouldn’t be surprised if Seulgi had a hand in designing the house herself.

 

Joohyun can only wonder at how much of a prison Seulgi has made the house into for herself. She’s been trapped for years here, and Joohyun can imagine how difficult that has to be.

 

“Dr. Bae, thank you again.”

 

“Don’t thank me yet. I’d like to help if I can. I know what you told me, plus the news articles about her wife, and her grief.”

 

“Yes.” Seungwan nods. “Seul, lost her first love and has never recovered. We just want her back as much as possible. And for her to heal most of all. You’ll have to be patient though. She isn’t all too thrilled about the idea of seeing a psychiatrist.”

 

Seungwan leads the way towards the artist’s home studio. It’s a large room that has various unfinished paintings, and sculptures. Joohyun can spot a brunette with her back turned further in the room. She’s sketching on a large canvas. Seungwan tells her to wait outside for a moment. She needs to talk to Seulgi first.

 

“Seul,” The blonde begins.

 

Slowly the artist turns, with pencil in hand. “Wan, hi. What are you doing here?”

 

“Hey, how are you feeling? You’re drawing, it’s so good to see you drawing again.”

 

“Yes.” Seulgi nods. “I’m in the mood. What brings you by, a second day at that?”

 

“Well, you remember the psychiatrist I mentioned?”

 

Seulgi frowns right away. “I told you that I don’t need to talk to anyone.”

 

“Seulgi, please. I only did this because I care about you. Will you at least meet her and talk to her some.”

 

Seulgi pauses, with an even deeper frown on her face. “What, she’s here right now?”

 

“Yes, will you talk to her?”

 

“Fine, because you already brought her here.”

 

“Okay, that’s all I can ask. Dr. Bae, can you please come in?”

 

Joohyun enters to see how truly gorgeous the artist is. Her pictures don’t do her enough justice. She’s a breathtaking woman, and to think no one has seen her in two years. She’s sitting there dressed in a simple, plain white sweater and beige shorts. She appears to be just looking through her for a moment though, as if she doesn’t even see her.

 

“Hi. Ms. Kang, my name is Dr. Bae Joohyun.” She starts to introduce herself, but notices how Seulgi is now staring at her. She looks upset, but then a dark look flashes across her face.

 

“Get out.” The artist tells her.

 

“Seul?” Seungwan starts, since Seulgi is normally not rude to guests, even though she hasn’t had any guests in a long time.

 

“Wan, get her out of here.”

 

Joohyun understands that Seulgi is reluctant to talk to her, because she’s a doctor. She would be like this with any psychiatrist, but the level of hostility wasn’t something Joohyun had been expecting. Seulgi is looking at her like it physically causes her pain.

 

“Seul, calm down. You’re being rude for no reason.”

 

The brunette turns away and takes a deep breath. She didn’t mean to snap, only this Dr. Bae or whatever needs to get out of her house now. The sooner the better.

 

“I’m sorry.” She nods. “But, Dr. Bae, whatever my friend has paid you. I will double it for you to leave now.”

 

Joohyun doesn’t know what comes over her. She should really just go, something inside of her wants to help Seulgi see that Seungwan is only trying to help her.

 

“Ms. Kang, I am only here to help if I can.”

 

“I don’t want help, and I don’t need yours. Please leave.” She turns back to her canvas. Seungwan apologizes to her and asks for her to wait in the living room for a moment. When she comes back to her best friend. Seulgi looks distraught holding onto her shaking hands.

 

“Seul, oh my god, are you okay?” She rushes to hold her shaking hands.

 

“Wannie, why…” She whispers. “How could you do this to me?”

 

“Seul, I’m just concerned about you. She’s a really good Dr. she’s highly recommended.”

 

“Wan.” The brunette sighs, she will have to explain as Seungwan doesn’t seem to understand what it is that she has done.

 

“Seulgi, talk to me. What’s wrong?”

 

“Wan, do you know who she looks like?”

 

The blonde blinks several times in confusion. She hadn’t paid much attention to how Dr. Bae looks. She was more concerned about her being a highly recommended doctor.

 

“No? Is there some sort of problem.”

 

“Wan, open your eyes. She ing looks like Taeyeon.” The artist angrily says. And it’s the first time in so long that Seulgi says her deceased wife’s name in so long. Slowly Seungwan realizes then that Seulgi is right.  It wasn’t something she noticed right away. But, now that Seulgi has actually said it. It’s true, Dr. Bae does bare an eerie resemblance to Taeyeon, Seulgi’s late wife.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry Seulgi. I didn’t even consider, she does look a lot like Taeyeon-unnie.”

 

The brunette closes her eyes, she is so angry there are tears dripping down her eyes. How dare Seungwan bring someone who looks so much like her wife?

 

“Wan, please don’t help me. And you make her leave, I will not have someone in my house that looks like my wife.”

 

“Seul, I….”

 

“Tell her to go. I don’t want any help from her, not when….she looks so much like my….” She pauses, and sobs suddenly. Seungwan is there in a moment to comfort her. She apologizes over and over again. All she wanted to do was help her best friend. She didn’t want for things to be this bad so fast. Dr. Bae is so highly recommended though, perhaps there is a way to work this out somehow. All she wants is for her friend to be well again.


 

A/N: I hope this was an interesting enough start. I have quite a few ideas for this fic and would love to know what anyone’s thoughts are so far, if you enjoyed it though. Thanks for reading.