Yellow

Paint Me

Yellow; when you suddenly came to me,
Within my heart
A spring-like warmth
Came inside, naturally

 

Hwasa's POV

Wheein and I had known each other since junior high school, and now we are in our last year of high school, waiting for our life in college. We were best friends that were practically inseparable. Everyone around us knows about how close we are. I would always go to her house and pick her up everyday so we can go to school together. Then after school, I would always dash out of my last period class and wait outside of her classroom so we can walk home together. I signed up for all the clubs that she is in just so we can get some extra time together. Days like this repeat one after another, but soon I started to feel tired. There's something that has been bothering me for a long time, I feel the need to let Wheein know about this.

"Are you sure about this? Have you ever thought about how she would react?" One of my close friend Yongsun unnie, who rather be called Solar, asked.

I nodded, "I just can't deal with this anymore. It's been bothering me for countless of sleepless nights."

"But Hyejin, why so sudden?" Moonbyul unnie (her real name is Moon Byulyi), my other close friend, asked. 

I gently smiled, "We're graduating today, unnie. If I don't tell her now, I think I won't ever have a chance to talk to her about this. I mean, we are close, and that's the exact reason why I shouldn't continue to hide any secrets from her."

"Whatever you say", Solar shrugged her shoulders.

~~~~~~~

Solar and Moonbyul are college students right now. Wheein and I met them during our freshmen year of high school. They were a great help to us, guiding us, and helping us familiarize with the school. We still meet up occasionally after the two of them had graduated from high school. Hearing that it's our graduation today, Solar and Moonbyul took a day-off to attend our graduation ceremony. 

I led them the way to their seats before leaving to go to the backstage. I walked towards the backstage, and looked for my official class, which I was suppose to walk into the auditorium with during the ceremony. I didn't find my class, but I did see Wheein.

"Hwasa, I'm so nervous! Is my make up alright? Is there anything wrong with my robe? Did I wear this correctly?" Wheein grabbed my arms and started ask one question after another.

"Don't be so nervous, Wheein. Everything is going to go smoothly. And no, nothing is wrong with your outfit. You look perfect just the way you are."

Wheein smiled at me before she leaves to join her class. I walked away to join my class as well.

~~~~~~~~

I watched as the principal announces Wheein's name and as she stands up and walks towards the stage to receive her diploma. I sighed. Four years of high school life had just passed in a blink of an eye. There was so much beautiful memories in this four years of experience. There were regrets and disappointments as well, but overall, high school life went pass a lot smoother than I thought. Wheein and I became even closer friends throughout the course of high school too, but... just how am I suppose to tell her the truth? I looked up again and saw Wheein standing on the stage, smiling brightly. How I wish time can just stop in this moment. I wish the time of telling her the truth would never have to come.

~~~~~~~~

Graduation had just ended, I quickly took my stuff and walked out of the building to look for Wheein. I saw her standing with Moonbyul and Solar, laughing and talking. I walked towards them, and hugged Wheein from behind. 

"Oh, Hyejin-ah, you're here". Wheein turned around and smiled at me.

"What are you guys talking about?" I looked at the two unnies while holding Wheein's hand. 

"Nothing, just congratulating you two. I'm so proud of the both of you, you guys finally managed to pass the fours year of high school!" Moonbyul said while pretending to wipe her tears while making a fake sob.

We laughed at her silly act.

I looked at the two unnies, "May I borrow Wheein for a moment?"

Knowing what I am going to do, the two unnies gently nodded their head and smiled. Before leaving, I saw Solar mouthed "Hwaiting" to me. I nodded at her and walked away with Wheein. 

~~~~~~~~

"What's wrong?" Wheein asked me in confusion.

"I..." I opened my mouth to speak, but I didn't know how to say the words to her. 

"Wheein, I... I need to tell you something."

"What is it, Hyejin?"

"I-I'm in l-love" I was stuttering. I looked down, and couldn't look at her face.

"That's great, Hwasa. I'm happy for you, who is it?"

I stayed silent.

"Am I... not allowed to know..? It's fine if you don't want to tell me. I mean, we'll always be friends right? You're not going to just abandon me because you're in love right? I mean, are you dating right now? If you're not, I can always help you think of ideas of confessing to him---"

"It's a girl. I fell in love with a girl." My eyes are still glued to the ground.

"Oh..."

I finally looked up to look at her. Her eyes was wandering as if she doesn't know how to respond. She was rubbing her arms as a way to comfort herself in this awkward situation. There was a long silence between us.

"A-are you... perhaps, disgusted? I-I understand if you are. I-I mean, I know this is suddenly and it's hard to accept and I'm fine if you want to leave me---"

Wheein steeped up to me and placed a finger on my lips to shush me. 

"Hyejin, I'm not disgusted and I will NEVER leave you, understand?"

I nodded.

"S-so, who is it? Who is the lucky girl you love?"

I didn't say anything.

"P-please? Can't you tell me?" Wheein's voice was quivering.

I looked at her just to see that her eyes were filled with tears. Why is she crying? I don't understand.

"Are you crying? Why are you crying, Wheein-ah?"

Wheein quickly wiped her tears. "I'm fine. I'm just happy for you." She forced a smile.

"Why are you crying?" I repeated my question. 

"I told you, it's tears of joy."

I shook my head. "Don't lie to me. I wanna know, why are you crying?"

Suddenly Wheein started crying even harder, "Why do you even care?!!"

I was shocked at her suddenly outburst. "What's wrong, Wheein?"

She looked at me for a few seconds and then hugged me. "I'm sorry...I shouldn't have yelled at you. I just couldn't control myself. I don't know why... I really should be happy for you, but I just can't. I love you.."

I froze, did she just say she love me?

"I know I shouldn't be telling you this right after you told me that you have someone you love. A-actually, I was going to confess to you, but I couldn't find a chance to. I should have said this earlier... at least before you told me about loving another girl. I wasn't sure if you like girls, and I was scared to tell you about my feelings, I thought that maybe---"

I took a step back to get out of her hug. I held up Wheein's face so she can look at me. I leaned down, and.....kissed her. Wheein's eyes widened in shock. I stopped the kiss after a while to take a breath. 

Wheein looked at me, "Does this mean..."

I nodded, " 'That girl' is you."

"Why didn't you say so?"

"I was scared. Just like the way you were. But now since I know that you love me the way I love you..." I kneeled down and took out a hand. 

"Would you be my girlfriend, Jung Wheein?" As I speak, people started coming out to us with the balloons that I prepared beforehand. Of course, Moonbyul and Solar unnie was there too.

The crowd was chanting, " Say yes! Say yes!"

Wheein was standing in the middle of the crowd with her hands over and her eyes b in tears - the tears of joy. She nodded and held my hand. The crowd yelled in excitement. I went towards Moonbyul unnie and took the flower that I asked her hold for me and handed it to Wheein. 

"Took you so long" Moonbyul said while smiling and congratulating us.

Solar slapped her in the back, "It's taking you even longer."

Moonbyul's eyes widened, realizing something. 

Everyone laughed. Looks like we have another confession to anticipate. 

I turned around and held both of Wheein's hands. "Thank you. Thank you for everything."

She smiled, "I should be the one saying that".

And so, under the evening sky with the last memory of high school, we kissed.

 

I'm so glad I had met you. Every time I see you, my heartbeat increases and I unconsciously smile. Everyday with you is like Spring to me. You are the sun and flowers that brings my life to color.