Did You Give Her A Chance?

Once Upon An Airplane Ride

For weeks after his encounter with Anna, Jongin felt himself slipping deeper and deeper into depression. "What is wrong with me?" he thought. "I barely even knew her, so what does it matter? I've met tons of fans like that before... ones who pretend not to be a fan just so they can get closer to me." He shook his head angrily as he danced in front of the mirror in EXO's practice room. Doing a spin with force, he let the anger at Anna wash over him and push him strongly into the dance move. Since he was distracted and not concentrating on his movements, his foot stumbled as he spun, forcing his leg to crumble and leaving him in a heap on the floor. Covered in sweat and panting as he felt his leg for any injuries, he heard a soft voice.

"Well," the voice said, breaking into Jongin's thoughts. "It seems like someone is having a bad day."

Jongin didn't even have to look up to see who the owner of the calm, distinct voice was. He let his breath whoosh out strongly as he agreed, "Yes. A very bad day to be honest. A very bad few weeks actually." Jongin looked up as his best friend Taemin walked across the room and settled down gracefully onto the floor beside him.

"You want to talk about?" he asked quietly, his soft, wavy hair falling over one eye. He looked at Kai with a slight smile on his face, knowing that he needed to talk but that he wouldn't be eager to do so. Jongin, as well as Taemin, were very private people and didn't open up easily. That was part of the reason they got along so well- they knew their limits and wouldn't push each other to talk when all they needed was silence. Taemin sat there looking at Jongin and smiling, waiting for him to explain his problem. As he looked at Taemin, Jongin let his thoughts drift. It was no wonder that Taemin was considered one of the most beautiful people in the music business in Korea. He had always been handsome but the past few years had been especially kind to him. He was now a virile, strong man who brimmed with confidence yet still managed to keep a humble spirit. He had started as a member of SHINee, but for the past few years, he had found great success as a solo singer. Combining Taemin's high voice and amazing dance skills with his amazing charisma and star quality onstage, many people had begun calling him the Michael Jackson of Korea. He had even held big solo tours in the USA, selling out each location due to the high demand from fans who were desperate to see their favorite performer onstage. "He might have started as a shy, awkward idol," Jongin thought, "But he has developed into a true artist."

"So, do you want to talk about it or not?" Taemin asked once more. Jongin shook away his thoughts and brought his mind back to the topic at hand... Anna. Although he didn't like to open up about his personal feelings, Jongin knew that if he had to do so, there was only one person he would talk to... Taemin. They had been friends for years and Taemin wouldn't judge Jongin for acting so weepy after meeting a random girl on an airplane.

Pretty soon, the entire story spilled out. Once Jongin opened his mouth, it was like he couldn't control it. Words started pouring out in a rush, describing the amazing way he felt when he was sitting and talking to Anna. How they had even almost kissed before being interrupted by the pilot's announcement and how he had never felt a connection like that before. His voice spoke more slowly as he remembered the rest of the story, describing what happened and how he discovered she was a fan.

"You know what those types are like, Tae!" He huffed and pooched his lips out in a pout, reminding Taemin of a toddler who had gotten his candy taken away. Trying not to laugh at Jongin's adorable expression, Taemin spoke up and interrupted Jongin's rant. "So, did you ask her about it? How do you know she was a sasaeng? She could have just gotten seated next to you by coincidence and then was embarrassed to tell you she was a fan. What did she say when you asked her?" Taemin's voice trailed off as he considered Jongin's flushed cheeks and embarrassed look.

"Oh my gosh! Don't tell me you didn't even give her a chance to explain!" Taemin said in an exasperated voice. "How did it end?"

"Well," Jongin started sheepishly, "I guess I didn't exactly give her a chance to explain. But she didn't need to, did she? That whole entire flight- HOURS long- she pretended like she didn't know me! She even was asking questions about what did I did for work and stuff... knowing the entire time who I was and what I do. It was all just an attempt to make me get closer to her, allowing me to open up to her and talk in a way I never would have done with a fan. Then I find out she is a big fan evidently, because who else would have our song as their ringtone if they weren't a super fan?"

Taemin sighed heavily as he laid down on the floor, stretching his arms above his head and yawning slowly. He considered his words carefully before speaking, "I know it's hard, Jongin. Don't forget that I understand also... I know how much it can hurt when you get used. But you're strong... I know you can make it through."

Jongin flinched as he heard Taemin's softly-spoken words. It was true... Taemin did know exactly what it was like. Yet, here was Jongin whining and acting like a baby. The year before, Taemin met a sweet, charming young girl who was just his style. They began dating and he fell super hard for her. Even just a month into their relationship, he was already talking to Jongin about the possibility of marriage and wanting to take his relationship public. However, all that happiness came to a screeching halt when Taemin's fans contacted him via social media to tell him a sasaeng was taking pictures of him when he was sleeping and posting them online. The same sasaeng fan was also taking some of Taemin's belongings- shirts, hats, and even boxers- and selling them to other sasaeng fans overseas. Jongin remembered just how crushed Taemin was when he realized his girlfriend was the culprit. When he confronted her about it and said they would have to break up, she went berserk- screaming and crying and begging his forgiveness. It turned out she had even used a false name. It got so bad that no one could get her out of Taemin's house that night. The police were finally called and took her away. Last Taemin heard, she had gotten in trouble for stalking another idol.

Through the whole ugly matter though, Taemin grew quieter and more upset. It was like he was grieving. "Which, " Jongin thought, "I guess he was. He was grieving the end of a relationship and the end of his chance for a normal life and relationship." After that girl, it was like Taemin just gave up on love, believing he would never have a real, special relationship with anyone else again. How could he when he evidently couldn't trust anyone? Allowing the hurt to make him withdraw even more, he closed his heart to meeting other people and stopped believing in a happy ever after.... even though that's what he wanted most in life. In fact, that was what they all wanted- idols, artists, actors. It was hard to have a normal life as a celebrity and even though Jongin enjoyed his fame, he missed having the chance to go out for a cup of coffee with a girl or meeting a new person without them automatically being in awe of the fact that he was EXO's Kai. In fact, Jongin, Taemin and all their celebrity friends would trade anything for just one day of leaving behind the fame and being just normal and average... going where they wanted to go, talking with whom they wanted to talk, acting silly, not watching their every word and action in case it was caught on camera. After all, Jongin wanted to have fun! He wanted to go skydiving or snowboarding without having to worry that he might injure himself and ruin his career. He wanted to flirt outrageously with girls, get a tattoo, go on a road trip, swim in the ocean, make out with a date at the movies, go to an arcade and laugh and play like a kid from middle school. He wanted to get loud at a bar over chicken and beer with his buddies. But most importantly, he wanted to meet just one person who could like him for who he really was. Not as Kai... but Jongin. The quiet, awkward, sincere, lonely Jongin. Sure, he had his friends, but they all knew him as Kai too. Especially since most of them were also in the music business and had met Jongin through work events.

With a sigh that echoed Taemin's, Jongin also laid back onto the floor, his melancholy growing even deeper.

"So," Taemin spoke quietly, bring the conversation back to Anna once more. "You didn't give her a proper chance to explain? I think you owe her that at least. So, can't you call her and make a day to meet up and talk? I think you will feel better if you do."

"I can't," Jongin whispered hoarsely, "I was so hurt that I threw away her phone number, I have no way to reach her and I have no idea where she's at."

With a wave of regret mixed in with his hurt feelings, he closed his eyes as the loneliness just seemed to overwhelm him. With his disappointment gathered fiercely around his heart, a solitary tear slid down his face.

Without a word, Taemin's hand reached over and patted Jongin's arm. Strangely, the slow, monotonous action comforted Jongin and his tears soon stopped. They continued to lay there in silence, however, Taemin's hand still slowly patting Jongin's arm- not asking any more questions but just comforting Jongin in the only way he knew how. Jongin's heart was still hurting like crazy of course, but at least he wasn't alone.

"But that," Jongin thought, "Just isn't enough anymore."