Back To The Motherland

Can't Wait To Love You

Jaeeun POV

“OMG MATTHEW~” I yell, leaving the airport trolley behind and running into the arms of my brother that I haven’t seen for 2 years.

“Aigoo~ My baby sister has grown up to be a lady! What is this?” He says while having me in a bear hug. “Let me have a better look at you” He pulls me out of the hug and looks me up and down. “Have you grown taller too!?”

“Heels bro, it’s the heels” I said laughing pointing down to my shoes.

“It feels so weird seeing you in person and finally not through a screen” He says ruffling my hair and walking back towards the airport trolley I left behind. “Come on, let’s go home! There’s so much we have to catch up on” as he leads the way.

 

It’s been about two years since I last saw my brother. We talk often over Skype, but it’s so different having him here next to me. He left to study in Korea 8 years ago, and decided he liked it better there and never came home.

I was always very close to my brother. Being 6 years apart, I was always showered with love and spoilt by him. So when he decided he wanted to finish his university degree in Korea, I was heartbroken. I was 14 at the time and didn’t understand why. To me, he was leaving us all behind and all I could do was cry. But now looking back, I understand why he chose to leave and decided to follow in his footsteps.

I have just finished University and decided to decline a very good graduate program offer to live with my brother in Korea. We were all born in Korea and immigrated to Australia when I was 3. I didn’t have many memories of Korea, and grew up like any other Australian kid, but for my brother, it was different. He was leaving behind his childhood, he’s friends and what he grew up with. So when he wanted to stay in Korea, my parents couldn’t say no.

It was different for me though. Being the maknae of the family, I was the one everyone had their eyes on. So trying to convince my parents I wanted to go and live in Korea and not take a job offer from a large company was highly difficult. Especially when I didn’t have a plan or a job lined up in Korea at all. Luckily Matthew did the convincing and talking to our parents. He knew I wanted to see the world, and I can trust him to support me whenever in need.

So here I am now, Seoul, Korea! The country I was born in, the country Matthew adores, the country that I am about to fall in love with.

 

“Here it is” Matthew opened the door of his apartment and led me inside.

“It’s so small” I say while looking around the two bedroom apartment.

“Where do you think you are kiddo? Australia? Did you expect me to have a house like back home here?” He replied

“Nah, just… I just imagined it to be a bit bigger. Like I’ve seen bits and bobs through webcam before, it’s just kinda weird seeing how small it is pieced together” I explained sticking my tongue at him.

He rolled his eyes and gently slapped me on the head. “Come on, here’s your room. We can go buy things to decorate it if you want, but all the essentials are here”

The room was minimalistic, but themed in my favourite baby blue. As expected from my brother who knows me best. “I love it!” I exclaimed while I plopped onto the double bed.

“That’s great! I’m glad you didn’t change your favourite colour then. And go shower first stinky head! You’ll dirty the new sheets” He nagged.

“OMG STOP NAGGING MATTY! You’re worse than mum and dad” I whined and he came over and wrapped his arm around my neck threatening to strangle me.

 

Three weeks later

“Hurry up Ash! We’re going to be late because of you.” I hear my brother scream from the lounge.

“I’m coming, I’m coming! Sheesh, I don’t even want to go. So don’t blame me for being late if you’re forcing me to come. Who wants to watch you play soccer anyways?” I complain, rushing out of my room and tying my hair while he waits by the front door.

“You haven’t been doing anything for the last three weeks! I’m taking you out to see the world and breathe some fresh air!” Matt said rolling his eyes at me

“It’s not like I’m home all day, I go out almost every day mister” I retort only to have him say: “Going shopping and to cafes is not fresh air! Plus there’s someone I’ve been meaning to have to meet. So let’s hurry up. I’ll be late for the game” Matt said hurrying me out the door.