[final]

Santa is Jealous

Nobody can put a smile on his family’s face the way he can. Nobody can make his son the happiest the way he can. That's it.

 

 

 

“He’s stealing my son from me!”

 

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at his husband’s unreasonable complains. He’s been whining for an hour now and it’s just 9 am in the morning. Too early to disrupt the serene mood of Christmas Eve. He sighed as he poured some milk on his husband’s glass as the taller munches on his alphabet cereal. It all started when the new guy in the neighborhood decided to dress up as Santa Claus and handed present on every kid in the village. The children adored the guy and his goofy dance moves. Most parents in their neighborhood easily took a liking on the guy from the first time they saw him perform at the village’s annual Christmas party. Everyone likes the neighborhood Santa, or that’s what everyone calls him. Everyone likes the new neighbor, but not Park Chanyeol.

 

 

Not when his 5 year old son can’t stop talking about him until his bed time.

 

 

 

“Don’t be ridiculous, Yeol. He’s just a kid and most kids love Santa. Besides, it’s Christmas. Let your son enjoy the occasion.”

 

“But I’m his dad! I should be the one making him happy and handing him gifts and--and--you understand my point here, right, Baek?” Chanyeol pouted. Baekhyun giggled and pecked his taller husband’s pouting lips.

 

“Sure." Baekhyun shrugs,  "Hurry up. We need to buy ingredients from the super market for tonight’s gathering as early as possible.” Baekhyun affectionately ruffled Chanyeol’s dark locks before heading upstairs.

 

 

Chanyeol sighed at his boring cereal.

 

 

“Daddy! Look! Look!” Chanyeol lighten up at the sight of the adorable toddler running his way towards him with his cute little feet. He immediately crouched down and opened his arms widely to welcome Byung Chan in his embrace. The toddler excitedly lunged towards his father who happily carried and cradled him in his arms.

 

“Daddy! Look! Santa’s giving presents again!” Chanyeol’s eyes followed to where ByungChan is pointing his tiny finger at. Realizing that his son wanted to show the neighborhood Santa to him, he hurriedly walked his way towards the living area with Byung Chan in his arms and peeped outside through the transparent window having the clear view of the house across theirs.

 

 

“Santa’s so great!” the toddler squealed enthusiastically. There he is, the neighborhood Santa. He’s been giving gifts to the kids who pass in front of his house while clad in an all red and white suit. His neighbor’s fake white beard looked funny on him and he doesn’t look like Santa Claus at all, or at least that is what Chanyeol has been telling to himself. He’s mentally laughing at the trying hard neighbor but seeing that the kids do not mind the get up at all as long as they receive gifts, Chanyeol’s little celebration in his head died down. They all love him and there’s no doubt that his own son is fond of the neighborhood Santa Claus.

 

 

“Byung Chan, do you love Santa?”

 

His son nodded and so he frowned.

 

 

Neighborhood Santa: 1

Chanyeol: 0

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After leaving Byung Chan in a trusted neighbor’s care, Chanyeol and Baekhyun headed to the super market few blocks down the road. It’s chilly and the cold ice bits falling from the sky is freezing Chanyeol all over because he easily gets cold. Roads were also slippery as it were covered with white snow, making the taller stumble on his every step. The gushing crowd isn’t helping either. He dislikes Christmas rush and the overly cold weather the most but unfortunately to him, it isn’t the same case with his smaller husband. Baekhyun likes the snow and the cool winter breeze. Most of all, it’s a habit of him to join the crowd every Christmas rush. He likes it when he gets to squish himself between those people because of a mall’s holiday sale. It might sound weird but it’s not like Chanyeol can protest. It’s not like he will, either. If it means tucking Baekhyun’s hand in his coat pocket when it gets too cold, assuring that Baekhyun won’t hurt himself crossing those snowy roads and holding things for him in a crowded holiday sale, then Chanyeol will always stick with him at all cost. He will do it anytime if he’ll be asked.

 

 

Warmth engulfed them both as they stepped inside the super market. With the taller maneuvering the cart, Baekhyun busied himself scanning the check list. For tonight, the smaller is planning to make Kimchi spaghetti since it’s Jongdae’s favorite dish and it just happened that he’s Baekhyun’s whiny best friend. Reunion between them and their closest friends happens once a year. Every detail must be well-planned.

 

 

“Can you just make lasagna instead?” Baekhyun stops when his husband asked the same question for third time. Yet again, he answered a stern no with his eyes not leaving the variety of packed goods on the rack. Chanyeol huffed, knowing how hard it is to persuade his husband once he had already made a choice. He scooted closer to Baekhyun and leaned forward, placing his chin above his husband’s shoulder.

 

“Please?”

 

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes when Baekhyun chuckled because he knows his husband is enjoying his misery. Baekhyun raised a brow and faced him.

 

“Why should I?”

 

“Because I’m craving lasagna for weeks now and you love me so---”

 

“How are you so sure that I love you?” Baekhyun stifled his laughter when his husband gasped with an offended look on his face.

 

“You just--oh, when you married me?” Chanyeol scrunched his face, his brows furrowing in disbelief. Baekhyun wasn’t able to stop himself from laughing any longer.

 

“Don’t laugh at me, Park Baekhyun. May I remind you how our little Byung Chan was born in this world?” Chanyeol wiggled his eyebrows, subtly snaking a hand on the back of his petite husband. Baekhyun scoffed and swatted the hand that has been touching his .

 

“ert. But there’s still no lasagna for you, dummy.” Baekhyun kissed him on his cheek and held on to the cart, pushing it towards the vegetable section.

 

Chanyeol groaned and fastened his pace to follow Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wrapping presents for his dear Byung Chan is surely an easy task. What’s hard is keeping the gifts away from his son till it’s already time to open it since the toddler keeps on wandering around the house. He cannot risk letting his son see the gifts for him. Just, not yet.

 

“Daddy!” Chanyeol flinched at the small voice. He hurriedly closed the drawer where he hid Byung Chan’s Christmas gift and faced the toddler who’s hiding something behind his back.

 

"Hey buddy, what’s up?” he smiled as he crouched down to take a better look of his son. Byung Chan giggled as he showed the card to his father. Chanyeol was in awe at his son’s tiny scribbles on the Christmas card. Byung Chan filled it with small hearts and stars and scribbled it with misspelled words of ‘I love you’ and ‘Merry Christmas’ which made Chanyeol’s heart swell in joy. Byung Chan is really their small bundle of happiness.

 

 

“You made this? To whom are you going to give this?”

 

 

“Santa!” and then his smile faltered. He take a closer look at the card and there it really is, a stick figure with a red suit on it, hugging the smaller stick figure with smiles on both of their faces. Chanyeol isn’t disappointed, he really is not. He’s been internally telling it to himself the moment he found out that his son actually putted an effort in making the neighborhood Santa a Christmas card. Of course, he’s not jealous and he’s going to say it if he can lie.

 

 

Chanyeol sighed.

 

 

Neighborhood Santa - 2

Chanyeol - 0

 

“I can’t believe he’s celebrating Christmas with us!” Chanyeol shrugged off the ill feeling and nodded at Byung Chan’s enthusiasm.

 

“Wait, what?”

 

“Appa invited Santa for tonight’s gathering! I’m sure Uncle Jongdae will be glad to see him. Uncles will be happy and Byung will be happy!” the toddler cheekily beamed, “Are you happy too, Daddy?”

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat to remove the lump forming on his throat. He nodded although he wasn’t really sure about what he feels with the neighborhood Santa coming for the gathering. It was supposed to be a celebration with their friends only.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Baek,” he groaned when his husband continually ignores his protest. Baekhyun is in the kitchen, preparing the dishes he’ll serve for their friends for dinner and Chanyeol isn’t helping at all.

 

“He’s a good guy. I can’t see anything wrong with inviting him. He’s our new neighbor, Yeol. We should at least show him some courtesy.” Chanyeol eyed him warily and Baekhyun dismissed the thoughts building in his husband’s head with an irritated hiss.

 

“Don’t look at me like that, Park.”

 

“I wonder why everyone admires the neighborhood Santa including you.”

 

“Because he makes the kids happy and the village livelier with his funny antics?” Chanyeol gasps. His husband likes the neighborhood Santa and it's not something he is pleased to know.

 

“You didn’t even bother denying it!” he puffs his cheeks and releases a huff.

 

Baekhyun chuckled, “Stop being a kid.” He teasingly rubs Chanyeol ear with his fingers gaining an annoyed whine from the taller. “Why did I even marry a giant baby.”

 

The neighborhood Santa is stealing his love ones one by one. Tonight, it’s going to be his friends. Chanyeol isn’t just going to stand there and let that happen.

 

“I’m going somewhere. I’ll be back before dinner. I love you!”

 

“Wait, where are you--” Baekhyun was caught off when his husband dashed towards the doorway with his car keys and coat in his hands. Baekhyun frowned, worrying about his husband making a big deal out of the neighborhood Santa.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun stares at him boringly, not really paying a heed on Chanyeol’s rants. Well, it’s Oh Sehun and he’s his best friend. Chanyeol cannot do anything about it.

 

“You came here to nag about your neighbor who hasn’t done anything but to make the children happy because you’re jealous and he’s stealing Byung Chan’s attention. Seriously, what are you, 4? Wait, 4 year old kids do not even despise Santa Clause the way you do.”

 

“You do not understand! I don’t despise him--Santa Claus, I mean. It’s the neighborhood Santa I am talking about! Don’t you get it?” Sehun rolled his eyes at Chanyeol who’s sitting at the couch across him.

 

“I am not having this conversation with you.”

 

“If Santa makes my Byung happy, I’ll be Santa Claus for this Christmas. But the problem is, where can I find the Santa suit this instant? I only have an hour and a half before our gathering party starts! I cannot let the new guy take my place!”

 

“No one’s taking your place.” Sehun shook his head and disbelief, “I’m so done with you, Park.” Nevertheless, Sehun fished his phone inside his pocket and dialed the number which he knows could help to end his best friend’s misery all at once. When their conversation ends, Sehun informed Chanyeol about the Santa suit he borrowed from a friend’s fiance.

 

“I told you Jongin’s a good guy.”

 

“Who is Jongin?”

 

“Neighborhood Santa himself, duh.” Chanyeol’s eyes widen at the revelation. Sehun borrowed the Santa suit from their neighbor. He can’t believe his best friend knows the new guy and he even has his phone number.

 

“You know him and you didn’t even bother to tell me?!”

 

“He’s a colleague’s fiance. Remember Do Kyungsoo? They are soon to be wedded.” Sehun explained, “Anyway, he’ll lend the suit to you when we get there for the gathering. He’s glad that you want to wear it. He wants to thank you and Baekhyun for inviting him and Kyungsoo.”

 

“I should thank him and later.”

 

“Yeah, you should.” they both turned their heads when they heard footsteps. Luhan is descending from the stairs, almost ready to leave for the celebration. Sehun cat-whistled as he saw his husband and Chanyeol faked to vomit.

 

“Thanks, man.”

 

“No problem,” Sehun shrugged, “Someone should be at least the mature one in this friendship.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Most of them have finally arrived and Baekhyun is ecstatic as he welcomes his and Chanyeol’s friends in their humble abode. Yixing coos at Byung Chan and Junmyeon lets the kid play with their Corgi puppy. The first thing Jongdae noticed as soon as he arrives with Minseok is Chanyeol’s absence. It was his best friend instincts kicking in and his protective side is telling him to question the lack of Park Chanyeol’s presence. A missing Chanyeol is an upset Baekhyun and the giant Park better not be doing anything that will make his best friend lonely.

 

“Where is the big guy?”

 

“He promised to be back before dinner. He’ll be here soon.” Baekhyun smiled at him reassuringly and Jongdae scoffed. “He better be.”

 

Noise erupted when Luhan and Sehun came. There’s no place for silence every time Jongdae and Luhan are together. Knowing that this will happen sooner, Sehun and Minseok let them be and decided to catch up with the others. Byung Chan is enjoying the jubilant atmosphere and he is surely having a great time with George, the Corgi puppy.

 

 

Baekhyun excitedly opened the door for Jongin as he arrives with his fiance, Kyungsoo. Baekhyun politely took the cake the couple brought for them and welcomed the both of them inside. Sehun introduced the two to their friends. Seeing the look in their faces, Baekhyun is certain that they will all get along and the thought of it makes Baekhyun glad. He glanced at the wall clock to check the time. It’s almost dinner and his husband is not yet coming back. He’s starting to get worried.

 

 

“Uh, Baekhyun, Chanyeol said he’ll be here in a few minutes. He was preparing his surprise for Byung Chan.” Jongin said with a smile and Baekhyun was surprised. He returned the smile and uttered a soft ‘okay’. The thing that surprised him more is Jongin knowing about his husband’s whereabouts. The last time he saw Chanyeol, it was clear that his husband wasn’t fond of their new neighbor and that’s why he’s wondering why would his husband tell it to Jongin instead. Anyway, he’s relieved to hear it from Jongin. It lessen the anxiety that was slowly building up on his chest.

 

 

After a few moments, they settled themselves in the dining area. They chattered as they savored the mouth watering dishes that Baekhyun prepared. Baekhyun is spoon feeding Byung Chan when somebody entered the house and greeted ‘ho ho, Merry Christmas’ with his huge baritone voice. The voice caught the toddler’s attention. Luhan, Jongin and Kyungsoo chuckled knowing who is behind the unexpected visitor while Sehun face palmed.

 

Byung Chan hurriedly leaves his chair and runs to meet the guy he was wishing to see tonight.

 

“Santa!” the toddler hastily lounged forward, tackling the tall Santa Claus on the ground. Everyone who witnessed the scene cackled with laughter. Baekhyun grinned, finally realizing what Jongin meant when he said Chanyeol was planning a surprise for their son. He dreamily let out a sigh as he gazes at his 6 foot tall idiot and he remembers why he fell in love with him in the first place.

 

 

“Appa! Appa! Uncle! Santa visited Byung!” the small kid rejoices as he helps the tall Santa to stand. They all went back to the dining table to continue their meal and Chanyeol had to eat in his Santa costume. Baekhyun giggled seeing how his husband is having a hard time eating with the white beard covering almost the half of his face.

 

“The things he does for the kid.” Junmyeon shook his head, grinning at the sight of small Byung Chan clinging on his Santa Claus.

 

Yixing served them some white wine and a glass of orange juice for Byung Chan. Chanyeol decided to go for an orange juice reasoning that Byung Chan should see him as a role model and they all just let him be the hero in his little son’s eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unwrapping the gifts is what Byun Chan believes is the main event of the evening. He hurriedly occupied the spot near the Christmas tree. Cute giggles erupted from his mouth as he saw the number of presents that were wrapped in colorful papers and silk ribbons. He happily distributed the gifts to each of his uncles including his new uncles Jongin and Kyungsoo by following his father’s instructions.

 

“Here is for our dear Byung!” the toddler beamed, receiving his gifts from his uncles. Baekhyun softly smiled when his son gave each of his uncles a kiss on their cheeks and a gentle rub on George’s furry back in which the dog responded by wagging his tail.

 

 

“Santa! Byung made this for you.” the kid smiles with his eyes forming into crescents. He took the card he created awhile ago from the center table and handed it to his dear Santa Claus. They all coo at the adorable little Park who hugged Santa Claus without knowing that it is his own father. His father surely loves having all ByungChan's attention.

 

“Why don’t you open your presents now, dear?” Byung Chan glances at his Uncle Kyungsoo and happily nods his head. Baekhyun can’t wait to see his son’s reaction as soon he see their gifts. He’s as excited as Byung Chan but the toddler suddenly halted from unwrapping the box completely. The kid’s eyes wandered around as if he’s looking for someone.

 

“What’s the matter, Byung?”

 

“Daddy. I want to open it with Daddy. Have you seen my daddy, Mr. Santa?” he adorably stared at Santa Clause with his cute almond eyes.

 

“I am sorry but your Daddy won’t be here tonight.” Chanyeol sheepishly grinned at his son. Byung Chan stuck his lower lip out after hearing that he won’t be celebrating Christmas with his other father.

 

“But I want Daddy.” Chanyeol frowns. He doesn’t know what to do. There’s no way he can be Santa Clause and Park Chanyeol at the same time.

 

“Santa is here anyway. Do you love Santa?” the toddler slowly nodded his head and sniffed. Tears are starting to form in Byung Chan’s eyes and Baekhyun felt a pang in his chest.

 

“But I love daddy more. Can you bring back my daddy?” his uncles panicked when the kid cries. “I want my daddy.”

 

“But-but--”

 

“Mr. Santa, can you please bring back his father once and for all or none of us will have a peaceful Christmas.” Jongdae menacingly glared at Chanyeol and the latter gulped.

 

“I-I’m going now, Byung Chan. You were a good boy this year. Can you wait for your daddy? He’ll be here in a minute.” the toddler wiped his tears with his tiny clenched fist and thanked Santa Claus for coming over. He kissed the guy on his cheek before he bid him good bye. It’s time to bring Park Chanyeol back. He hurriedly went upstairs to change his clothes to something more presentable. Thankfully, the celebration ended with Byung Chan rejoicing for having his father back and with Jongdae sparing Park Chanyeol’s life. Baekhyun hugged each of their friends before Chanyeol and him see them off.

 

“Thanks, neighborhood Santa.” Chanyeol whispered to Jongin.

 

“Anytime, Mr. Santa.” Jongin replied with a grin as he held on to Kyungsoo’s hand. Jongin and Kyungsoo thanked the couple and Baekhyun reassuringly told them that they are always welcome. Kyungsoo waved at little Byung Chan gaining an adorable smile from the toddler who’s being carried by Chanyeol, his small arms clinging on his father’s neck.

 

 

Baekhyun closed the doors with a cheeky smile plastered on his face. It just felt nice. Everything felt nice. Chanyeol lulls his son to sleep in Byung Chan’s own room as Baekhyun washes the dishes downstairs. Finally, the day ended with the couple cuddled up in their shared bed.

 

“Aren’t I the best?” Chanyeol asked between their kisses.

 

“Show me, then.” Baekhyun chuckles as Chanyeol nuzzles on the crook of his neck. He pulled away first when he remembered that he should give Chanyeol his Christmas present but his husband pulled him closer and groaned with their bodies’ lack of closeness. Chanyeol doesn’t need any gift. The best present he can ever have is in his arms. He wouldn’t ask for more.

 

“Let’s just open the gifts tomorrow. Let’s stay like this for tonight.” Chanyeol huskily whispered, his hot breath fanning on Baekhyun’s neck. Chanyeol smirked when he heard his husband moan as he the small of his sensitive skin.

 

“Oh, Santa’s being naughty.” Baekhyun clicked his tongue as his husband scooped him closer to his embrace. Chanyeol likes it when he can hear Baekhyun’s heart beat, their heart beat. It was like their connection because he knows that their hearts are beating for each another.

 

“Santa needs a company.”

 

“You have Byung Chan for that. I’m sure our baby would even volunteer as your elf apprentice.” Baekhyun giggled at the thought of their adorable toddler wearing an elf costume. Now he knows what he’s going to let him wear for next year’s Halloween party.

 

“Elves sounds nicer though,” Chanyeol slid his hand under his husband’s shirt, feeling the warmth of his body against his palm. “I don’t want Byung Chan to be lonely.”

 

“Hah, ert.” Baekhyun passionately kissed his husband. “Merry Christmas, dummy.”

 

The sudden knock at their door caught them off guard and Chanyeol immediately removed his hand from where it was awhile ago. Chanyeol cleared his throat, “Come in.” The door opens revealing little Byung Chan standing on their door way, clad in his bear printed pajamas. He’s clutching on his stuffy pillow that is almost as big as him.

 

“Appa, Daddy, can I sleep here for tonight?” Chanyeol and Baekhyun glanced at each other and chuckled. They adoringly gazed at their kid and smiled.

 

“Sure buddy,” Byung Chan hurriedly closed the door and shuffled towards his parents’ bed.

 

“You can sleep here.” Chanyeol moves to give Byung Chan some space he is free to occupy but the toddler frowns seeing that his father is trying to make him sleep on his side.

 

“But I want to be on the middle between you and Appa.” he pouted.

 

“No way, buddy. You can hug me in your sleep and let me hug Appa in my sleep.” Byung Chan drags his pillow sadly and lets his father lift him up to the bed. “But I want to be with Appa too.” the kid mumbled but the couple heard it clearly.

 

“Chanyeol,”

 

“What? Okay, okay, you can sleep in the middle.” Byung Chan glowered when his father granted him the permission. They moved to the side to give space for their baby. Byung Chan is definitely enjoying his spot between his parents.

 

“Sleep with an eye open, kid. I’ll bring you back to your spot when you’re asleep.” Byung Chan clings on Baekhyun tighter when he heard his other father’s words. Baekhyun giggled and lightly slapped Chanyeol on his arm. He should at least let his son sleep in peace. Chanyeol scooted closer to his family and savored the moment of having the best things that ever happened in his life in his arms.

 

Their warmth in the cold winter night feels like home. He won’t be asking for more but to stay with them like this. In the end, he knows he shouldn’t even have competed with Santa Claus because there was no competition in the first place. He will always be the best for Baekhyun and Byung Chan and that is what matters. Chanyeol shuts his eyes with a huge smile marring his face. It was a perfect Christmas indeed.