ep one

The Way She Loved Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

ep one 

JENNIE.

« Tempted to succumb
Into the darkness that awaits
But life has to come »

Well, guess what, I turned 18 yesterday. Consider that legally free but, I am never, actually. All people who are forced to be adults know that.

In my life, I only live for myself. I lost my mom when she was on her way here to Australia to start a new life with her unborn girl. Back in Korea, she was suffering from my abusive father, who is a total even though I didn't knew him personally, I still applaud my mom for taking the risk to go abroad where she could be finally free, for once at least, but fate wanted our lives harder than it already was. She died 8 hours after I was born. Sad, right?

But I've got no time depressing, I had a life to live. Luckily, I was raised by my foster parents, and I've been a good kid, I think.

I'll be on my 12th year in High School next school year and I'm aiming to be our batch's valedictorian, just because my parents and my younger sister, Lisa, wants to hear me do a valedictory speech, since obviously Lisa won't be able to do so. But honestly though, I'd still be great without that valedictorian entitled on me. I can say that I excel on everything, I'm not boasting ro yall though, but I've been the student body's president for three consecutive years and I've been active in academic competitions as well as performing arts. I decided to indulge myself in school since I don't really have anything to be busy about, except summer. My laid-back, idgaf alter ego comes out. 

I'm spending this summer learning Hangul more. Silly, right? I'm a whole-blooded Korean yet the only Korean word I know is 'Oppa' and I can't even make sense out of it. I go to book shops, libraries, and vintage cafés just to keep my mind relaxed, because sometimes Lisa makes it bothersome to stay at home

and speaking of Lisa, she's coming to bother me now, so early in the morning.

"Hey Jennie unnie, make me breakfast already!" she squeals to me as she distracts my 'reading-in-the-couch' morning routine. She clings to my right arm like a monkey, while I try to take away her grip from me. "What's with the unnie?! That sounds ridiculous." I said as I cringe into the word. "Gosh you're calling your own language ridiculous? That is just so racist, Jen." she replied with a huff.

"You think I know that?!" I said with a tone of justifying my ignorance. "That's a new Korean word I learned yesterday. Unnie is a honorific girls use to girls who are older than them...I think I'll be more korean than you at this state." She boasted. "Shut up or I won't cook you breakfast." I closed my book with a clasping sound, stood up from the couch and went to the kitchen and cooked some omelette for her.

Lisa is 2 years younger than me, but she bosses me around like she pays me to do work. She's quite perky but I still love her.

"I'd be going to the café now." I said as I hand over the omelette I cooked. "And that is why you'll die a ..." Lisa teased as she digs in to her omelette, I begged to ignore.

I quickly grabbed my make up kit on the couch and colored my face, while Lisa still keeps on talking. "Oh! I forgot to tell you, a family just moved in next door, be nice." she made her voice louder for me to hear since she was still in the counter table.

"Don't worry, I won't even bother meeting them." I said as I finished drawing my eyebrows and painted my lips with a matte lipstick. I packed up few of my things and dashed off with my bike when I saw a pick-up truck parked next door. Seems like our new neighbours are busy unpacking. I thought.

I wonder what kind of people they are. I hope they'd be friendly at least, because frankly, most of our neighbours never really care.

I didn't want to long my curiosity about our new neighbours so I rushed and cycled to Seasonal café - my favorite coffee shop of all time.

Seasonal café is only meters away outside the village, and I've always loved the concepts they make every season. Like in winter, they made the shop looked like an Ice Castle that Elsa made, and in Fall they literally filled the floor with autumn leaves, like literally then never ran out of ideas. This summer they decided to have a baywatch concept. There'd be surfboards, umbrellas, and waiters dressing up as lifeguards.

I am a regular customer and also my redhead bestfriend, Samuel, is always working part time here every summer, and did I tell you he's cute...

"Did you got my present yesterday?" we made eye contact and he asked as I approached the counter to order. "You call a lunchbox full of kimchi a present?!" I complained with taunting eyebrows. "I thought you'd feel closer to home if I'd cook you Kimchi." He justified, "Lisa, ate it all last night. God! that girl is forever hungry and doesn't even gain weight!" I answered, that sister of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter