5 - White Lies?

Christmas Magic

         ‘I’m sorry Taekwoon, I wasn’t feeling well today and I think I caught a cold. :( I better stay home tonight... Sorry for letting you down... Have a good evening and merry Christmas! ^^’

         Taekwoon stares at the message for a while. All his plans to apologise are crumbling and he doesn’t know what to do. Then worries are pulling him out from his puzzlement because Hakyeon is never sick. Or rather, when he is, it doesn’t stop him from doing what he wants and especially from respecting his engagements. He remembers that day when Jaehwan had to force him to go home after they discovered that he came to work despite a high fever. No one would have guessed how unwell Hakyeon actually was if Jaehwan hadn’t jokingly checked the other temperature and found he was burning to the touch.

         Taekwoon knows what he has to do and after getting rid of his now empty cup of coffee, he’s heading towards Hakyeon’s apartment. He will buy some cold medicines on his way, and some groceries to make a soup. That would be his apology.

         One hour later, Taekwoon is in front of Hakyeon’s door with all the things he deemed necessary to take care of the other’s cold. Maybe he overdid it a bit considering his two full of groceries bags, but as he was in the convenience store they usually go to when they decide to gather at Hakyeon’s place, he forgot he wouldn’t cook for three or six as it happened so many times before. The older’s apartment being the closest to the coffee shop, it soon became the entire crew’s lair, with Hakyeon’s enthusiast blessing. Taekwoon came as often as the others: Jaehwan never allowed him to escape, stressing that it was good for team work and for Taekwoon’s social life. However, Taekwoon suspects it’s mainly about his cooking skills that none of the others shares...

         He rings at the door and hopes he won’t wake Hakyeon up if the other decided to sleep early. What he doesn’t expect, it’s to find a perfectly healthy and lively Hakyeon opening the door. They stare at each other with round eyes for the longest time until Hakyeon interrupts the uncomfortably stretching silence.

         “Hi Taekwoon..."

         "You’re not sick.” His tone is harsh but he can’t believe that Hakyeon lied to him. Why? Unless...

         “Are you waiting for someone?” Hakyeon looks confused for a second. Then he seems to understand what the other is implying and he’s quick to deny.

         “No, no, I’m not waiting for anyone, I...” He lets out a deep sigh and drops his head to look at his feet. That’s when his eyes fall on the bags in Taekwoon’s hand and a weary and incredulous chuckle escapes him. “You even came with groceries...”

         He’s looking again at Taekwoon now, with the saddest smile Taekwoon ever saw on him.

         “Come in. It’s freezing there and Jaehwan would have my head if you catch a cold.”

         That’s when Taekwoon realises it’s very cold indeed and that his fingers clenched in a fist are getting numb. Hakyeon takes a step aside to let him in and after a few seconds of hesitation, Taekwoon goes in.