Chapter 3 : Macchiato

Scars To Your Beautiful

Mina was walking on a street. The sky is full of different colored rainbows. She can see shops decorated with candies on her left and right. She wondered where she was at the moment. She also can't recall how she ends up being in such beautiful place. The sky was really bright and colorful. It looked really beautiful.

Mina entered a shop that looked different from the others. It was decorated with flowers instead of candies. The insides look exceptionally beautiful. Different kind of flowers can be seen. There is Lily, Sunflower, Baby's Breath, Blue Bell and many others. "It seems like a flower shop," Mina thought, smiling. Back when she was younger, her dream was to continue her mother's flower shop. But the longer her thoughts wander around, the sadder she became. She shrugs off her memories away and started to wander around the beautiful shop.

She came across a place that smells really nice. The smell somehow felt familiar but she can't recall what it is. Frustrated with herself she went deeper to the place to find out more about the smell. Amongst all the flowers around her, she saw a man. His face is blurry but he was holding some bunch of flowers and is decorating the flower as in to make a bouquet.

She moves closer to the man but she heard something. There are some faint voices coming from afar. They were saying something. It was getting louder. "No... Not... to... day... Not not today!" Mina's ringtone was blasting to her ears. She woke up immediately as to realizing her ringtone. A familiar name pop up on the phone screen. It was Heeyeon. "Yah Mina! Where are you? You're still in bed, aren't you? Hurry up! It's late already. I knew you're still sleeping when you didn't answer my text. You have class at 9 right? Move your and go to school hurry," after Heeyeon was scolding Mina, she ended the call. It was normal for Heeyeon to call Mina like that whenever Mina overslept because it happened frequently. Mina checked the time on her smartphone. It was 5 minutes to 9. She was clearly going to be late to class. She rushes to her toilet to take a quick shower. She can still hear BTS's Not Today back in her mind.

Unlike Heeyeon, Mina is living close to the school so it only took her a couple of minutes to get to her class. While rushing to her class that seems to already be starting 10 minutes ago she accidentally hit someone on her way. All the books on her hands and her stationeries fall down her grasp. "Oh, sorry!"Mina said apologetically not looking up. She quickly picks up her now scattered stationaries into her pencil case. Meanwhile, the person she accidentally hit freezes but immediately helped her.

"Cha Eunwoo! Aren't you going to class?" A familiar voice said coming from afar. It's Oh Sehun for sure.

"You can go on first, tell Miss Park that I'll be a bit late," a different voice coming just in front of Mina. Knowing who the owner of the voice she just ran into, Mina quickly gathers her belongings and said sorry once more before going straight to her class still not looking up.

Mina had known Eunwoo during her primary school days. He had once become her close friend but ever since Mina transfers school they automatically drifted apart and now become almost like stranger. They haven't seen each other ever since then. It had been too long, Eunwoo might not remember her. She always wanted to say Hello to Eunwoo but being her shy self, she just couldn't.

 


 

As usual, on her free slot, she would work at the school library. "Good afternoon Mrs. Choi," Mina whisper to the lady sitting on a chair currently handling a student wanting to borrow some books. Mrs. Choi is a 7-months-pregnant woman and one of the only two librarians in the school. Since she couldn't do much work due to her big belly, she had to put up a sign needing for a part-time assistant and someone who would take over her job for her maternity leave later on.

Obviously, Mina signed up for the work. It is a win-win situation for her. On one side, she loves books and on the other side, this is a great opportunity for her to gain extra money. "Mina, can you please help me put all these books back on the shelves?" Mrs. Choi said apologetically gesturing at the trolley full of books. Mrs. Choi is a kind woman. She always feels bad to people whenever she asked for a favor. "Oh, of course, no problem," Mina said smiling sweetly then pushing the trolley towards the bookshelves.

Mina started to put back the books in its original place. Moving from one shelve to another, climbing up the ladder if there is needed to reach the upper part. While doing her work, she silently humming to a song that she last listens to. But she stopped humming when a figure was close by to her. "Emm, excuse me. Do you know any book similar to this?" a man holding a book and something like 'Microbiology'written on it. Mina jumped a bit when she saw him and for the sudden speech. "O-oh, it should be somewhere around here," coming back to her senses, Mina answer stuttering, eyes shifting from the man's face to everywhere but him. Luckily, they are in the right section, so Mina only had to move a bit sideways and show him the other books similar to his request. She curses herself at the back of her mind.

Once again, she tried to run away. But this time someone stopped her. "Let me help you as a thank you for helping me," the man smiled at Mina.

"It's fine. You don't need to," Mina replied.

"Oh no, please let me," Mina was about to reject his offer, but she knows that the man won't take "No" as an answer so instead she said, "Thank you". A moment after the man helped Mina to put the books back (in a silent awkwardness that is), Mina is reminded of the accident earlier in the morning. After much hesitation, looking down and feeling shy suddenly she said, "I'm sorry about earlier... This morning, I was in a rush so I didn't mean to bump into you."

The man smiles at the books he was holding and putting it back on the shelves. Mina almost thought that he might not hear what she just said. "Could it be that my voice is too small?" Mina thought. She was about to repeat her words once more when the man turned his face towards Mina and said, "How about you treat me for a coffee later? Is that fine for you?". His smiling face is glowing so brightly that Mina almost thought she saw an angel.

 


 

So here she is sitting at a table for two in a coffee shop. She can hear soft music playing in the background it feels soothing to Mina's ears. She thought that she might be daydreaming and she let out a soft chuckle. "You shouldn't be dreaming of something like this, wake up Kwon Mina," as she was saying that, she hit her cheek once. Then a few more times. "Oh ! This is actually real!". What the hell did she get into?

Men usually bring Mina bad luck and bad memories so she tends to stay away from them. But today Mina is not sure but her gut told her that this time, it might be okay. Soon enough, the man she worries about dropped two cups of coffee on the table. One in front of her and the other one opposite of her. The man sat in the opposite direction of her. Upon arrival to the coffee shop, he insisted to treat Mina instead. Mina does not understand the sudden change of his heart but oh well, she just wanted to get over this.

"I was supposed to treat you today, but thanks anyway for the coffee," Mina said after taking a sip. She felt much more awake now. God bless the coffee.

"No problem, you can treat me next time," He said.

"Wait, what does he mean by 'next time'. Is this not a onetime thing?" Mina thought and feeling confused. Her face must have shown it because the man replied, "I mean if you think it's okay that is. To be honest, I know this is weird and too sudden but I feel comfortable being around you so can we be friends?" He tilted his face a bit, eyes directly looking at Mina's. He got that round puppy eyes but when he smiles, it almost as if a beautiful crescent has landed momentarily no, permanently on both of his eyes, shining bright and lighting up the whole world. It may be over exaggerated but one thing for sure is that Mina can't say no to that pair of beautiful eyes.

"Umm, yeah sure! Why not?" Mina tried her best not to show her worried face this time. This situation felt surreal to Mina. No one (guys especially)  ever said or done something like this to her before. Not that it happened many times in other people's life. Thinking of that is making it even weirder. She gave him a half-hearted laugh and she drinks the coffee down in one shot but only to embarrass herself instead by choking on the hot coffee and spilling it all over the table. At the back of her mind, she prays for the best of her life.

The man laughed at Mina's act bringing his beautiful pair of eyes once more. "I'm Cha Eunwoo by the way," The man said, offering a handshake. Mina was about to say, "I know" but instead acting like she only had known him for the past hour, Mina instead said "I'm Known Mina," accepting his handshake. He smiled and said, "I know". That taken Mina by surprised. Her eyes were wide with plenty of questions ready to ask Eunwoo.

"You know me?" Mina asked.

"Oh, from your library name tag," He pointed at Mina's name tag that is hanging on her neck.

"Ah this," Mina quickly removes her tag. She forgot to remove her tag now that she is out from the library. Feeling embarrassed, she's looking sideways while taking another sip of her coffee hoping to cover her shyness and the tint of red on her cheeks. For a second, she thought that he remembered her as his friend from her primary school days. "What was I thinking. Of course, it is because of my library name tag," she almost laughs at her thought.

After a few awkward chat, Eunwoo excuses himself saying that he got an appointment later that night. He left after insisting in exchanging their phone number for god knows the reason why. Mina was left sitting blankly thinking of how different and weird her day is. Her day continues as usual as if nothing happened. The only thing Mina is gaining today is a handful of embarrassment and an additional new contact number.

 


Happy New Year!