1/4

Texting the Scammer

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Way to go, you ing SCAMMER. Thanks to you I’ll have to starve for the next week to make up for the money you ripped me off of, you piece of ! What kind of puts up an ad saying they’re selling a super Mario collectibles set but then mail My Little Pony stuffed dolls that look like they came from a Happy Meal?! Go yourself!

 

Tiffany continued to stare at the message for a long time. This was the first time she ever got hate mail from a random stranger. Even though she knew that this was a mistake and that the message wasn’t meant for her, she still felt personally attacked.

 

(Tiffany): I think you got the wrong number.

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Sure, Jan. YEAH, RIGHT, .

 

(Tiffany): No, I’m serious. I understand that you’re probably upset right now, but this isn’t who you think it is. I honestly don’t even know how you got this number.

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Don’t worry about how I got it. Just know that I wasted two nights of sleep to find you after you shut down your online shop. You thought you could hide from me? Well, think again. Be prepared to get your handed to you in court. I’ll be getting more than my $500 back after this.

 

(Tiffany): You spent $500 on a bunch of dolls?!

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): COLLECTIBLES! And they were supposed to be a wedding gift

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Wait, why am I telling you this? Just try not to leave the country. The cops will find you if you try

 

(Tiffany): For the last time, I’m not the scammer!! I don’t even know who the scammer is, and I didn’t do any deals with you. I’m sorry for what happened to you, but you won’t be getting a cent from me.

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): We’ll see, Scammer. I’ll give you two options. Either you give me back my money with interest for the stress you put me under or you actually send me the Mario collectibles. I’ll pretend this never happened and drop the charges.

 

(Tiffany): How many times do I have to tell you that I’m not the guy that scammed you. My name is Tiffany, and I’ve been out of the country for the past two weeks. I actually just got back this morning.

 

A minute passed, and then another.

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Ha. I almost believed you. Trying to trick me with your fake western identity now? Do I look stupid to you?

 

(Tiffany): omg. Okay, humor me for a second. If I were the scammer, why would I respond to your texts when I could just ignore it?

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Because you’re scared that I’ll call the cops on you

 

(Tiffany): I’m not scared at all since I know I’m innocent. You can call the cops on me, but it’ll just be a waste of all our time once you find out I’m not the scammer. Instead of directing your anger at me, I suggest you call up your credit card company if you paid online and file a police report if you haven’t already

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): . You’re not the scammer, are you?

 

(Tiffany): No, I’m not

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Omg I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for going off on you. I really thought I found the guy, and so I just kind of snapped when I sent you those texts. I must have sounded like a complete

 

(Tiffany): All’s forgiven. You didn’t know. Plus, I’d be losing my too if I practically got robbed of $500 over a bunch of dolls

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): …

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): They’re COLLECTIBLES, and I already said that they’re not for me. They were meant for a friend as a wedding present since she loves those ugly Mario collectibles so much

 

(Tiffany): I’m sure she’d understand and appreciate the thought anyways

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): /sighs/ I’d rather give her the real thing though. Nothing ever goes right for me. Sometimes I think I’m cursed.

 

(Tiffany): Hey

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): What

 

(Tiffany): Wanna hear a joke?

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Random… but okay

 

(Tiffany): Knock knock

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Who’s there?

 

(Tiffany): It’s Amee

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): It’s Amee who?

 

(Tiffany): It’s Amee, Mario!

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Wow, too soon.

 

(Tiffany): Oops. But did I at least get a smile out of you?

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): A lip twitch

 

(Tiffany): I’ll take it.

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Thanks for the joke, Scammer

 

(Tiffany): /sighs/ Are we back to this again?

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Sorry, habit. What’s your name again?

 

(Tiffany): Tiffany

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): Taeyeon

 

(Tiffany): Nice to meet you, Taeyeon

 

(+82-XXX-XXXX): It’s nice to meet you too, Scamm—kidding lol—Tiffany

 

(Tiffany): Ha. Ha. Not funny T_T

 

Later that night, Tiffany and Taeyeon texted each other til the sun appeared. What started out as a random hate message had blossomed into a sort of friendship as the two continued to message each other every day.

 

(Taeyeon): I bet you look like a nerd with glasses

 

(Tiffany): Rude. Not all nerds wear glasses and there’s nothing wrong with being a nerd.

 

(Taeyeon): Says the nerd

 

(Tiffany): I am not a nerd

 

(Taeyeon): If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck…

 

(Tiffany): I’ll prove it. Want a pic?

 

(Taeyeon): Heck yes. The curiosity has actually been bugging me for days.

 

(Tiffany): Well, feast your eyes on this. I have to warn you though I’m a babe magnet. Try not to fall in love with me.

 

(Taeyeon): while I’m still young here?

 

(Tiffany): Ok, calm your lol (Insert a picture that Tiffany had found on the internet: Asian woman with huge spectacles, a hunched back, mismatched clothing and the most prominent bunny teeth that should be on the Guinness World Record.)

 

(Tiffany): Well? What do you think?

 

(Taeyeon): Uhhh…

 

(Tiffany): Wrong, you’re supposed to say, “Damn, you is one fine specimen”

 

(Taeyeon): Damn

 

(Tiffany): Damn what?

 

(Taeyeon): Sorry, that’s all I got.

 

(Tiffany): Oh… T_T

 

(Taeyeon): No, I mean I just didn’t expect you to look like that. . I sound so damn shallow. I’m sorry. I’m an

 

(Tiffany): Yeah, you are, but I’ll forgive you if you send me a pic of yourself and let me make fun of you back

 

(Taeyeon): Fine, do your worst. Don’t expect a model, okay? Plus, I was eating when you asked for it, so I might look a bit bloated here.

(Tiffany): Damn O_O

 

(Taeyeon): That’s all you got?

 

(Tiffany): Damn, you is one fine specimen

 

(Taeyeon): LOL thanks, I guess. And about earlier, you really don’t look bad at all. I’d date you.

 

Tiffany couldn’t help it. She let her phone slip from her fingers as she laughed to herself under the comfort of her fluffy, pink blanket.

 

(Tiffany): I’ll take your word for it. Expect me at your doorstep if I’m still single when I turn fifty.

 

(Taeyeon): I’m a woman of my word. Hey, can I ask for your opinion? Do you think I should wear a bow or a tie for the wedding? I got to play the part of ‘best man’ and look my bestest.

 

 

Tiffany stared at the two pictures that Taeyeon had sent her a little longer than necessary. The woman was eye candy and way better looking than any model.

 

(Tiffany): Oh yeah, it’s tomorrow, right?

 

(Taeyeon): Yup. I know I’m going to bawl my eyes out. I’m already feeling sorry for everyone around me.

 

(Tiffany): I wish I could join you.

 

(Taeyeon): Maybe you should. You can be my plus one.

 

(Tiffany): I wish T_T I’ll be busy all day tomorrow.

 

(Taeyeon): Oh, right. I forgot about that. Maybe we can meet up in person one day?

 

(Tiffany): Name the place and time and I’m there. Oh, and wear the tie, it makes you look chique.

 

(Taeyeon): Okay. Well, I better get to bed. Night

 

(Tiffany): Goodnight

 

Tiffany pulled the blanket over her chin and went to sleep as well since she also had a friend’s wedding to attend to tomorrow, being the maid of honor and all.

***

Tiffany had worn a pink dress for her friend Sooyoung’s wedding. Because it was winter and below freeze-your-butts-off temperature, Tiffany had thrown on a coat as she rushed inside the wedding chapel.

 

“Fany!” Sooyoung lifted her up in a bear hug and twirled her around. “You made it!”

 

“Soo, I’m the maid of honor, remember? You’d kill me if I didn’t show up.”

 

“You know me so well. Follow me, I’ll introduce you to Sunny’s ‘best man.’ You’re gonna like her, maybe even like her like her, and then I’ll be the one going to your wedding. Cross your fingers.”

 

Was this that thing soon-to-be-married people get when all they feel is joy and love and can’t help but want to spread that happiness to others? Ew.

 

Tiffany tugged at her belt as she walked across the halls. She might have bought a size too small for her waist, but that discomfort was soon lost on her when she finally met Sunny’s supposed maid of honor, leaving her shook and taken aback.

 

“Fany, I want you to meet Sunny’s ‘best man.’”

 

“Hi, I’m Taeyeon. It’s nice to finally meet you, Fany.”

 

Even that nickname sounded so much better coming from Taeyeon’s husky voice that Tiffany didn’t feel the need to tell her it wasn’t actually her full name.

 

“Likewise.” Their hands shook, and maybe her nerves were still trying to adjust to the warmth in the room, but she felt tingles from their contact.

 

Maybe Sooyoung was onto something. There was a huge possibility that Tiffany already liked her liked her.