Chapter One: It's a Secret

The AKZ B*tches


Chapter 1: It's a Secret

 

After they gathered their gears, they started singing, what I’m guessing is the ‘welcoming AKZ sister song’, then later gathered in groups to gossip about me. Yes, I’m that certain, because they’re not hiding it, raising their voices when I come their way, saying things like:

 

“Is she really going to stay with us?"

 

“Look at her hair. What kind of haircut is that?"

 

"Where in the world did she buy those clothes?"

 

"Gawd. Look at her shoes, uglies."

 

“Is she even a girl?”

 

Blah.blah.blah.

 

Whatever you say, ladies. All I care about is that there’s a roof under my head and I will not be sleeping on the streets tonight.

 

“Here’s you.” The leader stopped and motioned for me to enter the room. There are two beds, so I’m guessing I have a roommate.

 

“Thanks. This is cool.” I said to her, while looking at my new room. It’s not that big, just big enough for two, I guess. And of course, it’s also pink, just like everything else in this house.

 

“Yes. And Sulli, your roommate, you’ll love her, she’s so... friendly. Last year she did this-oh wait no that wasn't her, Oh right one time she-wait that wasn't her either. Whatever. The important thing is she is just so.... she’s just… great.” She said the last part less enthusiastically then left.

 

“What’s with that?”  I blurted as I lay on my bed. I would like to arrange my things but it takes so much effort, you know, so I lied there for a while when the door opened.

 

“Hey, pirates! Argh!” A girl greeted in the worst pirate voice I ever heard. Wow. She is t-a-l-l. I thought I would be the tallest here, but I guess I am wrong.

 

“What do you think of that? I have been practicing that accent for a week.” She said as she was arranging her things.

 

“Uhm… Great.” I lied.

 

“Sulli Choi, by the way.” She turned my way and offered her hand.

 

“Amber Liu.” I got up from my bed and reached for her hand.

 

“So you are the Alpha royalty. Nice." Sulli said.

 

"Yeah."

 

She was eyeing me up and down, not letting go of my hand.

 

"Heh. Are we accepting boys in the sorority now or did I just have too much greasy dinner at this super cool and secret underground club diner?" She asked,  lifting one of her eyebrows.

 

"Haha. I am a girl, tall lady. We're cool." I said. 

 

“Oh. I almost forgot, here.” She gave me a pamphlet or something, when I opened it, every girl from before has their profile in it.

 


“What is this?” I asked her.

 

“That is the Alpha Kappa Zeta Packing Order. Trust me, you are going to need that. Every girl here likes to pretend that they are like popular, like me. Heh. As if." She flaunted her hair while I was just looking at her like she is selling an encyclopedia, I am not buying it.

 

She may have realized that I was looking at her weirdly so she continued. 

 

"Eherm. Yeah. They will expect you to know their name. You just have to pretend that they matter, really.” She said this a matter of factly.

 

“No kidding? There’s a ton of them here. And let me tell you, I'm not really good at remembering faces. It's bad.” It’s a pyramid, with the president, Victoria Song, so says this pamphlet, on top.

 

"Michael Jackson bad. Or Donald Trump bad." She asked, jokingly. She doesn't get it. It's a serious case. Like I still don't know which is which in my neighbors even after living in the same block for ten years. 


"I'm serious."

 

“Well, that's your problem. As for 'our sisters', there are information about them in there you will have to acknowledge and praise about them, you know. To belong in their circle."

 

"You did this too?"

 

"Huh? Absolutely. Yes. Have a good time memorizing!” Then she went about her business.

 

Just five minutes have passed after staring at these profiles and my body was sending me signals already to stop memorizing.  Even my stomach crumbled so loud. I forgot to eat anything today. Getting thrown out of a house kept me busy. I look  at Sulli, she is reading a book. I might as well just ask her where this super cool and secret underground club diner is.

 


"So, where is this diner again?" I asked her.

 

"Huh. Didn't you hear me before?"

 

"What?"

 

"It's a secret." 

 

"Right..." Amber Liu, what in the word 'secret' don't you understand?

 

And that folks, is the end for my stomach and so as to my brain. I cannot take another look at these photos of girls no more. I stared up at my pink ceiling for a while, and then closed my eyes drifting to la la land.

 

 

“Goodnight, es.