CH 2

The Unspoken Truth

Changkyun lies in Minhyuk’s arms, their bodies tangled together in the most beautiful of ways. A thin layer of sweat covers their bodies, and they’re much too focused on trying to catch their breath than anything else. Minhyuk’s fingers tangle in the maknae’s hair as he stares up at the bunk above them, trying to sort through his own thoughts.

“We need to figure out how to handle all this, Kkungie,” Minhyuk says, breaking the blissful silence that had overtaken the room. Changkyun stiffens in the older man’s hold, though he doesn’t pull away. He knows full-well what the older is referring to… though he has no idea how to reach such a goal.

“I just can’t hurt Kihyunnie-hyung…” Changkyun mutters, chewing on his lower lip. Minhyuk has to stifle a sigh, having expected this response. Changkyun shifts as if he can hear the older’s exasperation with him, and he can’t help but defend himself. “I’m sorry, but back when I first joined you guys in No.Mercy, he was one of the first ones to accept me. I can’t repay that kindness by just up and leaving him for no reason.”

“Kkungie,” Minhyuk sighs, pulling away and forcing the younger to look at him, “I understand why you feel like that, but it isn’t a good reason to keep leading him on. It’d be kinder to be honest with him…”

“And what’s your reasoning for staying with Hyunwoo-hyung?” Changkyun fires back, defensive indignation lighting up within his eyes. He can’t stand it when the older advises him like he’s on some sort of moral high ground, even though he’s in the exact same position. “Surely it’d be better to break it off now, than to wait for me to get the nerve to end things with Kihyunnie-hyung… Wouldn’t it just be too suspicious otherwise?”

Minhyuk chews on his bottom lip, his gut somersaulting as he begins to contemplate breaking up with Hyunwoo. He… just can’t do that to Hyunwoo. It’d absolutely break the poor man.

Changkyun hums, as if hearing his thoughts, and moves to get up.

“We’d better get cleaned up,” he says, his tone heavier than usual. “They’ll be back soon.” Minhyuk nods, following the younger’s example and gathering up their own scattered clothes. Changkyun tosses such clothes aside, saving only his underwear to don for the trek to the shower.

 

All evidence of their… torrent time together is gone by the time the others return. Minhyuk’s hiding out in Hyunwoo’s room, all worries about the older waking him up now null and void since he’s still awake. Changkyun’s on the couch, and he immediately clings to Kihyun desperately upon seeing the vocalist.

“Aiish, Kkungie,” Kihyun chuckles teasingly, carefully patting him on his back. “At least let me shower before you hug me.”

“I can’t help it, hyung~” Changkyun mumbles against his damp shirt, snuggling even closer. “I just missed you so much…”

Hoseok and Hyungwon smile warmly at the sight before rushing off to confiscate one of the bathrooms, eager to get clean after their trip to the gym. Changkyun tugs Kihyun down the hall quickly after, heading towards the bathroom just passed the kitchen without sparing Minhyuk a second glance. Minhyuk stares after him, pouting distractedly as Hyunwoo gives him a half-hug round the waist.

“You okay, Moongie?” he asks, sounding genuinely concerned. Minhyuk hums, glancing over at his boyfriend. There’s an unreadable light to his eyes, and Hyunwoo thinks that maybe, just maybe, the younger will tell him what’s been bothering him lately. However, the younger says nothing. He only presses a kiss to the corner of his mouth and tells him to shower before joining him in bed.

Hyunwoo watches as he goes, nothing for worry for his boyfriend filling his heart.

 

Jooheon walks in some time later, having worked into the wee hours of morning on songs for the company. He’d been sure he’d have missed the others due to the late hour but is very surprised to find Changkyun sitting cross-legged at the corner of the sectional. The maknae is playing on his phone, the bright light of the small screen being the only light in the dark room.

“… Kkungie?” he asks, keeping his voice soft so as to keep from disturbing any of the sleeping hyungs. Changkyun glances up slowly, his gaze dull and lined with dark bags. Jooheon frowns in dismay and shuffles forward, sitting beside his fellow rapper and setting a gentle hand on his knee. “You okay?”

Changkyun presses his lips together hesitantly, the confliction clear in his eyes of just how much he wants to tell Jooheon. The older can’t help but feel a twinge of betrayal in his heart, as he’s always told the maknae everything going on with himself. A sign that the younger doesn’t do the same is gut-wrenching.

“I’ll… I’ll be fine, hyung,” Changkyun assures him, though there’s something that tells the older the boy is trying to convince himself more than him. “There’s just something I need to figure out.”

“Does it have to do with what’s going on between you and Minhyuk-hyung?” Jooheon says innocently. He’d noticed something amiss between the two, but he doesn’t know any of the details. Maybe his bluntness will fix that.

“Wh-What do you know about that?” Changkyun immediately asks, the urgent tone in his voice causing Jooheon to raise a suspicious brow.

“Nothing…” the older answers truthfully, pouting confusedly as Changkyun pulls away from his reassuring touch. “It’s just something I’ve noticed… Why? Is there something I should know?”

“No!” Changkyun replies, obviously in a panic now. He stands from the sectional, his Adam’s apple bobbing as he gulps loud enough for Jooheon to hear. “There’s nothing, hyung. Don’t worry about it. I’m… I’m going to bed.”

He then hurries from the living room and down the hall, leaving a befuddled Jooheon in his wake. He feels as if he’s stepped into something he’s shouldn’t have. It isn’t a hard thing to do living with six other men, but this time he doesn’t quite understand it. He’d just asked a simple question as a concerned, caring friend.

Jooheon stands and follows the maknae only a couple minutes later, unable to shake the foreboding feeling filling his mind. He can’t break free from the curiosity that’s formed from Changkyun’s secrecy… He shoots a suspicious glance at Changkyun, who’s climbed up into Kihyun’s bunk for the night to share with his boyfriend.

The older rapper gets into his own bed and plugs in his phone, slipping on his sleeping mask and hoping that whatever it is it won’t cause too much trouble. God only knows what’ll happen if it causes a rift between the couples of the group…