CH 1

The Unspoken Truth

Minhyuk watches from his perch on Hyunwoo’s lap as Changkyun and Kihyun giggle about something on the vocalist’s phone.  A tight smile adorns his handsome features as he turns back to face his own boyfriend, pushing thoughts of the adorable maknae away.

“You okay, Minhyukkie?” Hyunwoo asks softly, his eyes not leaving the television screen. Minhyuk hums, nodding.

“Of course, hyung~” he replies brightly. He leans forward, wrapping his arms around the older’s neck as he adds, “I can’t believe you’re going to the gym again tonight… You’re getting as bad as Hoseok-hyung with how much you work out. Next thing I know you’re going to be drinking protein shakes and eating a grilled chicken every night.” Hyunwoo chuckles warmly at this, a hand coming up to gently rub Minhyuk’s back. He doesn’t respond more than this, though, and Minhyuk finds himself looking to Changkyun for some sort of reaction.

He understands, of course.

Changkyun’s staring at him with an unreadable gaze, one that Kihyun remains completely oblivious to as he scrolls through his phone some more. Minhyuk holds the stare a moment too long, having to force himself to look away with a thick gulp.

He feels the maknae’s eyes on him throughout the remainder of the movie. Minhyuk does his best to distract himself, but nothing works. Nothing ever does when it’s Changkyun.

 

Things have always been different between Minhyuk and Changkyun. The vocalist has always spoiled the rapper more than his other dongsaengs, and there’s always been a sort of… silent understanding between them. They’ve often been found to be cuddling together more often than any of the other members, and they talk more with each other than anyone else.

Neither can count the amount of times they’ve fallen asleep side by side, despite having boyfriends who they could share beds with. Hyunwoo and Kihyun have never outright questioned it, though, just brushing it off as two of the cuddlier members of the group doing what they do…

But neither see the late-night kisses they exchange in the dark, the hurried hands to touch whatever piece of skin they can get to, the hushed whispers in the night… Neither see just how far the two go when they aren’t looking.

Minhyuk’s mouth goes dry as he thinks of that night mere weeks ago when they had gone too far, when they had passed the point of no return. It had been exhilarating, passionate, nothing like either had experienced with their true partners before…

It had been a betrayal neither could ever live down no matter how hard they tried.

 

When the movie ends, their boyfriends get up to go for a late-night workout. Minhyuk and Changkyun sit wordlessly on the sectional, a good distance away from each other. Neither chance a glance in the other’s direction, not wanting a reoccurrence of what happened the last time they were left alone together.

Luckily, Minhyuk’s phone is about to die, so he uses that as a quick escape to their shared room. He’s gotten into the habit of sleeping in Hyunwoo’s room, ever since the incident, but he can’t do that tonight. Hyunwoo would wake him up upon coming home, and odds are the older man wouldn’t even bother showering. That’d leave a very smelly Hyunwoo lying next to Minhyuk all night, and Minhyuk is absolutely not about that.

So, that leaves him moving back into his old room for the night, the one he shares with Kihyun, Jooheon, and Changkyun.

Minhyuk goes into the bedroom and plugs his phone into the outlet nearest his bed. He turns then, intending to go shower, but is surprised to see the maknae standing behind him. The vocalist nearly jumps back in shock, but forces himself to stand his ground.

He doesn’t want Changkyun to know how much of an effect he has over him, after all.

Minhyuk gulps down the adrenaline rush that had come upon noticing he’s once again alone with the one member he’s been avoiding for two weeks now. He decides it’s best to just try and get past him, knowing the younger wouldn’t disturb him in the shower.

“Hyung,” Changkyun says, stopping Minhyuk in his tracks, “we need to talk.” Minhyuk tries for a smile, though he feels it comes out more like a grimace. He sits on his bed, somewhat in defeat.

He supposes it has been long enough by now. After all, Jooheon had just asked him the previous day what was wrong between him and Changkyun… If Jooheon is beginning to notice the change, that means the others are close to follow. He just wishes he could keep ignoring it, though he knows he can’t. It’s begun to effect they’re dynamic on camera, and if the fans begin to take notice they’re done for.

“I… I’m sorry, Kyunnie,” Minhyuk finds himself saying before the younger can say anything else. “I didn’t mean for it to happen… I just, I don’t know. I’m sorry to have done it, I’m sorry to have taken things too far… I’m so sorry, Changkyunnie…” Minhyuk feels his mattress dip as Changkyun takes a seat next to him, and Changkyun sets a consoling hand on the older man’s knee.

“Hyung,” Changkyun mutters, his voice soft and barely audible in the quiet room, “you misunderstand. I don’t want an apology… Actually, I feel like I should apologize, because obviously I gave you the wrong idea.” The maknae stops then, releasing a shuddering breath. Minhyuk watches as his eyes flick this way and that, notes how he his lips, a nervous tick. “I know it’s wrong, I know we’re both in relationships… but… I don’t regret what we did. I know I should, but I don’t. In fact, I—”

Minhyuk doesn’t know what drives him to do what he does next. Maybe it’s the relief that suddenly floods through him. After all, he’d been walking around for weeks with this hanging over his head. Not only had he and Changkyun crossed a line, but both of them enjoyed it… He doesn’t bother thinking about what this means, or what’ll happen to his and Hyunwoo’s relationship. All he cares about is feeling safe again, feeling adored… and feeling that thrill of rebellion that had followed their betrayal.

So, as if on autopilot, he leans over, closing the distance between himself and the maknae to steal a kiss. He presses his lips against the younger’s, not even thinking as he sets a hand against Changkyun’s neck. Changkyun doesn’t pull away, instead pushing himself even closer to the older in an effort to deepen the kiss.

The maknae tastes of beer and popcorn, snacks from their shared movie night, and it’s enough to make Minhyuk’s head spin. More so, he can’t help but note, than Hyunwoo’s gentle kisses have ever made him feel…

 

Hyunwoo and Kihyun meet up with Hoseok and Hyungwon at the gym, they’re two partners already off at their usual workout stations, both seeming much more deflated than usual. Hoseok watches them as they set their things down and begin to go about their warmup routines, sharing a worried glance with Hyungwon. The lanky man slows the treadmill he’s on to a stop, and disembarks to go stand by Kihyun.

“How was the date night?” Hyungwon asks, popping open his water bottle to take a long drink. Kihyun in a breath, his brow creasing together thoughtfully.

“I don’t know…” Kihyun answers truthfully, his lips pursing in thought. “Changkyunnie seemed distracted all night. So did Minhyuk-ah, now that I think about it,” he adds, glancing over to Hyunwoo. Their leader only hums in affirmation, but it’s enough to make everyone’s curiosity pique.

“Do you know why?” Hoseok can’t help but say. Both men shake their head, seemingly completely dumbfounded. Hoseok shuffles where he stands, unsure if he should say this, but decides there’s no reason to hide it. “Jooheonney said he’s noticed Minhyukkie and Kkungie acting weird lately, but Moongie had said it wasn’t anything too serious… Maybe they had a fight or something.”

“Kyunnie’s never mentioned any sort of fight,” Kihyun says, sounding unconvinced. Hyunwoo, however, seems to accept it, nodding in agreement.

“If that’s the case,” their leader mumbles, “then it’ll be resolved by the end of tonight. Let’s just let them handle it for now, and if it continues to be an issue we can step in.” Kihyun nods in agreement, though he can’t help but hope it won’t come to that.

 

Unbeknownst to them, the problem is only just getting started…