I Like You the Best

I Like You the Best


If there are any mistakes, I'm sorry. I'm really sleepy right now. I'll go through it again and correct the mistakes tomorrow.
Thank you. :)

Words: 3,761

Written in Joohyun POV


 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Shin Joohyun imnida. I’m 18 years old and you are my oppas. Please take care of me well.” I say giving them a 90 degree bow.

When I look up, they’re just looking at me, dumbfounded. This isn’t the first time they’re doing this, and this isn’t the first time this happens to them either. Why do they look so surprised?

I don’t know how to react. I expected them not to be shocked anymore, aish, why is their reaction like this now? I looked at the camera, then to the PD-unnie, signaling for help. She stands up and guy holding the camera turned back and looked away. I guess they stopped filming.

I was right, PD-unnie explained it to them and they seem to get it now. She tells them to hold in their reactions, and told us we’ll reshoot. I nodded in response and took my position. When she gave the cue, I stepped back, did a 90-degree bow, and did the same introduction I did before.

“Jinjja?” Sungyeol said, his mouth a perfect O shape. Wow, he’s good at this. Oh, I mean Sungyeol Oppa, I forgot they’re my oppas now.

“Woah, we’re doing it again!” Dongwoo oppa exclaimed.

“Yay! Finally, I get to be an oppa!” Sungjong oppa said. I guess, since last time, Jiae unnie was the same age as him, he didn’t feel being an oppa much. I couldn’t help but smile at his childish reaction.

“Oh! I made her smile! You like me the best, right?” Sungjong oppa suddenly said, coming closer. I was surprised, so as a reflex, I stepped back.

“Aish~, Lee Sungjong, you’re scaring her.” Woohyun oppa said, pulling Sungjong oppa back.

It felt really awkward after that. My heart was beating so fast. I was so nervous. And unlike Jiae unnie, I can’t pretend being a stuck-up brat to mask it. It’s not that the PD-nims told me not to, I’m just really bad at lying.

I was looking down, when I glanced up at them, I saw Hoya oppa whisper something to Sunggyu oppa. He nodded and I saw him and Hoya oppa whisper to the other members as well. It kinda looked like a game of pass the message.

Suddenly, they lined up and Sunggyu oppa started with hana, dul, set, and they all bowed and shot back up, saying “Annyeonghaseyo, Infinite imnida!” Sunggyu oppa then started to introduce his self as the leader, and everyone else followed, saying what they were to the group. After they introduced their selves, I bowed a little and said hello, repeating my name.

--

After a while, they all became comfortable and started talking to me comfortably. I smile and nod, and said a few things. They asked me some questions, like when my birthday was and if I actually had a real oppa. I told them I never did, so I don’t really know how it’s like. For some reason, they all found it amusing.

We just finished lunch, and I was sitting next to Sungjong oppa. He apologized to me for suddenly charging earlier and was talking about how he loves the fact that I’m his dongsaeng. I was right, Jiae unnie felt more like a school friend to him rather than a dongsaeng that he has to take care of. In return, I tell him how glad I am to finally have an oppa, even better, I have seven.

Suddenly, one of their managers comes up to the table and talks to L oppa. He excuses his self and the two of them leave. Sungjong oppa tells me L oppa is filming a drama nowadays, so he’s really busy lately. I felt kinda sorry for him. They just finished their Paradise promotions and are on hiatus, but he still has this drama to work on.

A few minutes later, we were all in their car and are driving to their dorm. Since L oppa isn’t here, there was enough room for me to sit in. Hmm… I wonder how we’ll all fit when all seven of them are here.

When we got to their dorm, the first thing we talked about was room assignments. There were three rooms, and all of them have people sleeping in it. Oh, what about me? In the end, I’ve been roomed with Sungjong oppa, which I was happy about since he’s the one I’m closest to so far. I apologized to Hoya oppa since he has to move. He said it was no problem but I couldn’t help to feel guilty.

When we were in our rooms to rest, I started to unpack my stuff. Sungjong oppa offered to help but I declined. I told him he can go rest and I can do the stuff myself.

--

It’s been almost a week since we started this thing. I was surprised over how fast I got comfortable around them, well, they actually made it hard not to. They were really welcoming and made me feel right at home. In fact, it didn’t feel like I was living with idols, it truly felt like I was with oppas. Soon enough, I got close to all of them and I didn’t feel like calling them oppa was awkward anymore. The awkward feelings were gone, and it felt like I’ve known them forever.

Sungjong oppa was the one I was closest to, probably because his age was the closest to mine, and the fact that we shared rooms. I talked to him the most and I realized he’s not always feminine and childish (and diva-ish). Well, when we are all together and having fun, and when the other oppas pick on him and , he becomes like that, but when it’s a serious situation, he’s actually quite manly. He gives good advice, and he would always remind to me to study hard, just like a real naggy older brother would.

After Sungjong oppa, it was Sungyeol oppa who was second closest to me. Even though he’s 22, it feels like he’s just a bit older than me. Choding isn’t just a nickname for him, he actually is one. Even though he’s a choding most of the time, he does well as being an oppa too. He takes care of me the most. Other than Sungjong oppa, he’s the one I go to when I have no one else to talk to. We’d talk about random stuff over coffee. Loving coffee, it’s something we have in common! Keke.

 Thinking about it, these past few days, I’m close with everyone! I can totally feel how it’s like to be the dongsaeng. Sunggyu oppa, Dongwoo oppa, Woohyun oppa, Hoya oppa, Sungyeol oppa and Sungjong oppa are all taking care of me well. Ah, L oppa? Hmm… I hardly see him. He films his drama every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The rest of the days are his days off.

I don’t know, it’s weird. When I found out Infinite was gonna be my oppas, I was ecstatic! You see, I’m a fan, but I’ve gotten over that now. Before my first meeting with the oppas, I gave myself some time alone and told myself when I meet them, I can’t act like a fan. I have to forget about being a fan. I carved into my mind that I’m not a fan, I’m their dongsaeng and they’re my oppas. But before I did, Kim Myungsoo was favorite member. In fact, I was looking forward to meeting him the most. But because of his drama, he’s been really busy. On his days off, he would just sleep and wake up to eat. When he’s awake, we never talk. He has this cold aura coming from him, and it’s like I’ll freeze to death if I try talking to him. So I don’t. We exchange a few words, but that’s about it. Simply put, he was farthest from me. We never got close, and I hated it.

--

“Oppa how long will you be gone?” I said, while fidgeting with my phone. I was laying on my bed, talking to Sungjong oppa, who was packing. It’s been a little over two weeks now.

“Three days.” He says, not looking up.

“MWO?!” I shot up, putting my phone down, almost falling from the bed. I got up and shuffled across the room to sit beside him. He stops and looks at me. He beams a smile then gets back to packing.

I whined. “Oppa three days is so long, you’re only guesting for one episode right? Why is it so long~?” Dongwoo oppa, Hoya oppa and him were invited to be guest for Invincible Youth 2, and they’ll be gone for three days! I’m happy for him, I really am, but three days is so long~.

“Yah, it’s supposed to be a week but they cut it short. Consider yourself lucky little miss.”

“Hmph.” I gave him a pout and stood up. I made my way to the door when he suddenly called for me.

“Yah, Shin Joohyun, where are you going?” He said, standing up as well.

“I’m going to Sungyeol oppa, since you’re leaving me.” I tell him, sticking my tongue out.

“Just help me pack!”

“What? No way. Bye bye Sungjong oppa.”

“Aish, fine fine.”

I laughed at him, he’s really nice like this. I stick my tongue out one last time, walking out backwards. When I turned around to walk the right way, I bumped into someone. I looked up and I see L oppa. It was Sunday so he had his day off. Sunday means no filming for YAMO2 as well.

He looks pissed, I got nervous. I said sorry and gave him a 90-degree bow, then I quickly rushed to the kitchen and pretended to get something from the fridge. I ignored eye contact with him. This person, he’s really scary.

From the kitchen, I check to see if he’s gone. I see him sitting on the floor watching TV. Ah, then it’s safe to go to the room he shared with Sungyeol oppa. I walked in and saw Dongwoo oppa and Hoya oppa packing as well. Sungyeol oppa was just laying on his bed.

I waved at the two oppas to make my presence known and they waved back. I looked at Sungyeol oppa and threw him a pillow that was on the ground. He looked to see who threw the pillow at him, and when he saw it was me, he stuck his tongue out and acted like nothing happened.

“Yah, Sungyeol oppa, aren’t you gonna help your hyungs?” I said, I was walking over to where he was. He just shook his head in reply. I sighed, this lazy person, really.

“He’s an amazing dongsaeng really.” Dongwoo oppa said, stuffing something into his bag. I could read sarcasm written all over his face, and I just laugh at his comment.

“Don’t worry, I’ll help oppas.” I said, sitting down on the floor next to him.

“Ah, no need Joohyun-ah. We’re all done.” Hoya oppa said, zipping up his bag.

“But thanks for the offer.” Dongwoo oppa continued. He’s done packing as well. Hoya oppa pulled his bag up and rolled it over to one side of the room and leaned it against the wall. Dongwoo oppa followed and did the exact same thing.

These oppas are really cute, they’re best friends actually. Keke~. When they passed by me as they made their way out of the room, both of them ruffled my hair. Hoya oppa started it, and I’m guessing Dongwoo oppa just imitated him.

I sighed and fixed my hair, making my way over to Sungyeol oppa’s bed and sitting on the space next to him. I felt his body roll over the bed to turn into the opposite direction. Before, he was facing the wall, now, he’s facing me.

“Aaay~, our little Joohyun-ah is growing up. Getting all conscious about how she looks.” Sungyeol oppa said, ruffling my hair even harder than how the two other oppas did.

“Yaaah~, hajima~” I say, pushing his hand away.

“Aigoo~, our Joohyun-ah is growing up.” He kept on teasing me. This time, he started pinching my cheeks.

“Aaaah~, it hurts~” I say, pulling his hands off me, then rubbing my cheeks afterwards.

“You’re a meanie.” I mumble at him, my hands still on my face.

“I’m not!” he shouted a bit, just like a kid. This person is the one who needs to grow up.

I stick my tongue out at him and he suddenly starts tickling me.

“YAAAH. OPPA. HAJIMA~” I said between giggles and laughs. I was now laying on his bed, laughing madly, while he keeps on tickling me. This person has no mercy! He just won’t stop!

“You’re so noisy.” Someone says, and I try to look up to see who said it. Aish, it’s the scary Kim Myungsoo. Sungyeol oppa has stopped tickling me now, and I said sorry to L oppa, not getting up from the bed. He stood there for a few seconds before finally going back to the living room. I sit up, almost hitting my head on the bunk above us, and face Sungyeol oppa. “He hates me.” I tell him.

“No he doesn’t.” Sungyeol oppa says. I ignore him and stick my tongue out at him. It has become a habit whenever I’m talking to this choding. Then, I stand up and leave the room.

--

“Yah, Kids! Come out. It’s time to go.” I heard their manager call out. I hopped off the bed and went out to the living room. Sungjong Oppa, Dongwoo oppa, and Hoya oppa are gonna leave now. I’m not gonna see them for the next three days.

I hugged each of them, and said good bye. I hugged Sungjong oppa last and he ruffled my hair in return. What is it with these guys and messing up my hair?!

When Sungjong oppa was about to walk out the door, I shouted something at him.

“Oppa! When you come back I’ll already like Sungyeol oppa more than I like you!” I say, waving to him with Sungyeol oppa beside me.

“Yeah! That’s right!” Sunyeol oppa said, backing me up.

“Yah! You better not!” Sungjong oppa said.

“Bye bye!” Sungyeol oppa and I said in unison, as Sungjong oppa disappeared.

--

That night, and for the next two nights, I had the room to myself. I was tossing and turning, I couldn’t sleep. I checked my phone and the time says it’s 1:48 AM. I groaned in annoyance. Why can’t I sleep?

Sleeping alone in a room was never a problem for me. I had my own room since I was eleven and I slept perfectly fine. I guess, since Sungjong oppa wasn’t here, and since I’m not really at my house, I didn’t feel at home, and it bothered me.

I’m so annoyed. We have to film YAMO2 tomorrow, I don’t want to have dark eyes and be so sleepy at the filming. It would be disrespectful to the PD-nims. I checked the time again, it’s already a quarter past two. Ugh. This is getting me nowhere.

I get up and walk out of the room. The dorm is so silent, it’s giving me chills. It’s never this quiet during the day. Right now, they’re all asleep and I’m the only awake in this place. I make my way to the kitchen and decide to make myself a cup of coffee. Coffee has never failed to calm me, it gives me this warm feeling that nothing else can.

I get my cup and walk over to the water dispenser, only to find it empty. I guess the oppas didn’t notice. I sighed to myself as I prepared to heat water. While waiting, I sat on the chair and rested my chin on the table, hoping to fall asleep. I failed miserably. When the water was ready, I started making my coffee. Black, with three teaspoons of sugar. I take a sip of it and slightly burned my tongue. I mentally smacked my head for being so foolish.

I walk over to the table again and rested my head on it, waiting for my coffee to cool down a bit. Suddenly, I heard footsteps, and someone started talking.

“What are you doing?” the voice said. It was too hoarse and tired for me to recognize who it was. I turned my head only to be greeted by darkness. I didn’t bother turning on the lights since I liked the dark. Because of that, I couldn’t really see the person talking to me.

“Coffee.” I mumbled.

“At this time? You’re weird.” With that comment, I suspected it to be Sungyeol oppa. The person walked over to the fridge and opened it up. The fridge lit up, revealing the person I was talking to.

My eyes almost fell out when I realized who it was. It was L oppa.

“L oppa?” I say under my breath, but he still heard it.

“Oh?” he says, not looking up, pulling out a milk carton from the fridge and pouring himself a glass, before putting the milk back to where it belonged.

I just shook my head and ignored it. I put my hands on my cup, trying to feel if the coffee was cool enough. It was. I took the cup and brought it up to my lips. I breathed in the wonderful aroma of coffee and took a sip. Though my tongue stung a bit for burning it earlier, the coffee was perfect. I smiled to myself in satisfaction.

A glass of milk was suddenly in front of me, and a Kim Myungsoo was sitting across from me. I put my cup down and look at him confused.

“What are you doing drinking coffee at this hour?” He asked.

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Coffee isn’t gonna help. It keeps you awake. Babo.”

I shook my head and took another sip. “That never worked on me.”

He took a sip from his glass of milk as well, before pushing his glass towards me. “Drink this. Milk never fails.”

I pushed the glass back to him. “I don’t drink milk.”

“What?”

“I don’t drink milk. I can’t stand it.”

“You’re weird.” He says, taking the glass back and finishing the milk in it with one go.

“Sheesh, thanks.” I say looking up at him. When he put the glass down, though it was dark, I could still see the milk mustache he had on. I laughed a bit, before tossing him a box of tissues.

“You’re such a kid.” I say.

“Thanks.” He says, when he finished cleaning himself up. I expected him to leave, but he just sat there, watching me.

“Why are you up?” I ask him, breaking the silence.

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Why?”

“I’ve been sleeping all day.”

I just nod and took another sip of my coffee.

“What about you?”

I just look at him. “Can’t sleep.”

“Why?”

I shrugged. He chuckled.

“Baby can’t sleep alone?” he said.

Baby? Did he just call me baby?!

“Yah. I’m no baby. I’m 18. I can sleep alone fine. It’s just that, this isn’t really my house, so, I can’t. I’ve always been used to sleeping together with Sungjong oppa.”

He just nods and I finish my coffee. I pushed the cup away and it became silent. He still wasn’t getting up. Was he waiting for me? Aish. It’s too quiet.

“I thought for sure it was Sungyeol Oppa who’d catch me here.” I broke the silence. I couldn’t take it.

“Why? Would you rather be talking to him than me?”

“It’s not that…” I was stuttering. “It’s just that…” I’m at a loss for words. What do I say?! “well… he’s the lightest sleeper.” Yeah, it’s true.

“Huh. Whatever.” His tone was so cold, it actually stung. “You… You don’t really like, do you?” now, it’s sad. How does he do that? He completely just went from being an ice prince to a kicked puppy.

“What made you think that?”

“Since you got here, you hardly ever talked to me. It’s almost a month, and I’m the only one who isn’t close to you. And right now, you were hoping for Sungyeol instead of me. You don’t like me.”

“That’s it? Just because I don’t talk to you, you think I don’t like you? You’re not really the easiest person to approach, you know. You always have this poker face on, and you seem so cold, it’s scary. And you’re busy with your drama, you’re not here most of the time. Of course, I get closer to the other oppas. And I wasn’t hoping for Sungyeol oppa. I just thought that it would be him to wake up first and see me here.”

“…” It was silent. He didn’t say anything back. He just sat there.

“Don’t worry Myungsoo oppa. I like you the best.” I mumbled.

I checked the time on my phone and it’s past 3:30AM. I pushed the chair and got up. “I’m going to bed.” I told him, then I started walking to the room I shared with Sungjong oppa.

“Wait.” He said.

“What?” I say, looking back. I was surprised to see he was already standing behind me. Was he a ninja or something?! “Gaa, don’t creep up on me like that.”

“Sorry.” He mumbled. “Would you like me to stay in your room?”

“Why?”

“So you could sleep.”

“I guess.”

So I walked to my room and he followed behind me. When I laid on my bed, he sat on Sungjong oppa’s bed.

“You can sleep now.” He said, before laying down as well.

I nodded and mumbled a good night, before I closed my eyes.

Just a few seconds after that, I heard his voice again.

“Joohyun-ah.” He says tiredly.

“Ne?”

“Why do you call me L oppa?”

“When we first met, that was how you introduced yourself. I figured that’s how you wanted to be called.”

“But earlier, you said Myungsoo Oppa.”

“You heard that?”

“Oh.”

“It slipped.”

“I like it.”

“Mwo?”

“Call me Myungsoo oppa from now on, okay?”

“Okay.” I was starting to get really sleepy. I wonder how late it is now.

“Good night Joohyun-ah~”

“Good night Myungsoo oppa.”

Finally, sleep fell upon me, and I’m pretty sure the guy on Sungjong oppa’s bed is asleep as well.

“I really like you the best, Myungsoo oppa.” I say again, making sure only I can hear it.