Downfall - SaiDa

Twice One-Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter has always been known for its cold weather, snowfall and shorter periods of daylight. While the chilly season is prime time for romance and cheesy dates, one of its downfalls includes blizzards. And what literal downfall blizzards are found to be. Even the most experienced driver was to take caution driving in heavy snowfalls. Dahyun had left home expecting her trip to take no longer than 8 hours, but she’d been driving for 5 and was barely halfway there, all thanks to the poor weather conditions. The short girl had come to the realization that she was no match for the thick white carpet that fell around her car, but she’d been driving for so long without sight of a gas station, or any sign of life really. Her vehicle wasn’t in the best condition to begin with, if the flashing icons behind the steering wheel were any indication. Everything from “Check Engine” to “Check Oil” had lit up during the length of her trip, the heat seemed not to want to work either but Dahyun had kept her winter jacket on and managed. She should be worried, really, especially since her cellphone had no reception for the past 2 hours, but her anxiety was elsewhere. She was on her way to another city to perform at a symphony, only as a guest of course, her talent was grand but unmatched to that of the professional orchestra that had requested she feature in their piece. It was all thanks to her university professor that she’d been referred to the orchestra when they’d announced they were looking for a fill-in pianist. It was a one-time only gig, apparently their usual pianist couldn’t make it to this show, family emergency or such, but she was thankful all the same. Although Dahyun was nervous her professor coaxed her into it, saying it would look impressive to future recruiters, should she find an interest in music companies or in a teaching career of her own, she was majoring in music after all. She had wasted no time in practicing the sheets they’d sent her, attending her classes during the day and going through piece after piece during the night. She would be lying if she said she wasn’t excited for the whole thing to be over, so she could spend a full night in her bed under the warm sheets that awaited her back in her dorm. Still, she was grateful for the opportunity, she just hoped she wouldn’t screw it all up somehow…

 

Finally, in the distance, through the heavy snowflakes threatening to weigh down the flimsy black wipers flailing across her windshield, Dahyun was able to spot a dimly lit sign. Silently thanking whatever random of good luck had come her way, she pulled into the deserted lot. Parking in a spot partially sheltered from the snowfall, she turned the engine off and rested her forehead against the plush steering wheel cover. When she’d bought the vehicle from its previous owners, it hadn’t come with many accessories. A beaded seat cover, which she had dutifully thrown out, bright green dice hanging from the rearview mirror, which also found its rightful place in the trash, a couple of CDs from a group she’d never heard of and didn’t plan to listen to, and finally the Love Live! School Idol Project steering wheel cover.

 

Pulling her wallet out of her duffel bag and stuffing it into the pocket of her jacket, Dahyun stepped out of her car, locked the door and made hurried steps towards to store. Upon entering, she was hit with a wave of hot air and the bright white fluorescent lights that illuminated the aisles. She decided it would be wiser to search for snacks and make a purchase before asking to borrow the store’s phone to make a personal call, so she began browsing through the snacks assortment. Placing a carton of chocolate milk and her favorite chocolate bar on the counter, Dahyun looked up to be met with the sight of… well nothing really, there was no employee behind the counter, and now that she thought of it she hadn’t been greeted upon entering the store either. She whipped her head in every direction, searching for any source of life. There was no one to be in the rest of the front room, so she left her items unattended as she made her way towards the back where she spotted a hallway next to the refrigerated drinks. She took slow steps down the hallway, unsure if she was eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter