Final

The Stars Above Us

A star is a huge exploding mass of gases consisting of mainly helium and hydrogen. They are composed largely of gas and plasma, a superheated state of matter composed of subatomic particles.

But how is it that such wonderful, beautiful entities are made simply from gas? The very existence of stars are a mystery of its own.

And yet there is a certain degree of human emotion that seeps in the existence of these seemingly other-worldly entities. 

There is a beauty in stars- an especially romantic expression of the planetary plane in the form of binary stars.

Binary stars are two stars that encircle each other from their creation to death, the quintessential example of an intense love affair between two entities.

Lisa recited these facts in her head incessantly, while her eyes roamed the night sky, which was illuminated by the thousands of stars that were speckled across the wide expanse.

An amazing, beautiful love affair, Lisa rolled the idea around in her mind, savouring the sweet succulent feeling it provided.

And yet under the immensity of the wondrous sight before her, Lisa felt so helplessly insignificant and lonely. If only the presence of another would help her cement her place under the wide expanse of the glory of nature. 

Lisa took one last, longing look at the scenery, her eyes devouring the glorious sight that unfolded before her, before trudging back to the apartment she shared with her roommate Rosé. 

Perhaps tomorrow that someone would appear.

##

Lisa awoke to the Rosé gently poking the sides of her torso, the older girl reminding Lisa to return the library book that was due today.

"Don't forget, Leeeesa," Rosé joked, pulling out the 'i' of Lisa's name, before leaving for her morning classes.

Lisa rummaged around her knapsack for that book on astronomy she had borrowed the week before, its edges slightly worn from relentless, affectionate attention from its readers over the years.

And Lisa was no exception. With her love for astronomy which was bordering on obsession, Lisa spent hours pouring over everything she could find about the huge, balls of imploding gases without cessation.

Simply put, she was crazy for the stars.

And yet everytime she brought up the topic to her best friend and roommate Rosé, she would be met with cold indifference; Rosé didn't get how romantic the stars were- they were what they were.

Lisa longed for someone who could understand her passion for the stars, someone who could make her feel as if she were a part of a binary star- one half of a whole.

Lisa made her way to the local library near their apartment, her footsteps light and easy upon the gravel beneath her feet.

She raised her head, her eyes meeting the overcast sky above. There would be no stars tonight.

##

When Lisa reached the library, she immediately headed to the second floor where she knew she would be met with the sight of books that were b with information about astronomy, ready to impart their knowledge unto her.

But while she had expected the astronomy section to be deserted as usual, Lisa spotted a beautiful brunette standing to the corner of the shelves, caught up in a book Lisa herself had been fascinated with a week ago.

Lisa wanted nothing more than to engage in a lengthy conversation with the brunette over the one thing she loved more than anything in the whole wide world.

But she couldn't find the words to.

Should I introduce myself? Lisa was in a dilemma. Or should I start by asking her name? 

"This book is incredibly fascinating, isn't it?" she heard a low, husky voice ask.

Lisa looked up, her eyes meeting two round, dark orbs. 

The brunette continued, "I've always loved the idea of astronomy, there's something extremely..."

"romantic?" Lisa offered, together with the brunette, their voices a meld of low and soft melodies.

The brunette's eyes lit up. "Yes! For a moment there I thought we had sent a telepathic message to each other." She giggled.

Lisa felt herself inextricably attracted to the stranger. Few words in and you think she's the one? Lisa berated herself.

"I'm Jennie, what about you?" the brunette- Jennie- offered a hand to Lisa.

Lisa took Jennie's hands with her own clammy, cold ones, "I'm Lisa." She gulped, barely squeezing her words out.

When Jennie pulled away from Lisa's touch, she felt Jennie's warmth lingering on the tips of her fingertips, like gentle kisses.

And when Jennie smiled, Lisa felt constrict, turning dry. Lisa didn't need an astrology post to tell her she was falling for Jennie.

And she was falling hard.

Lisa watched Jennie trace the marks the first drops of rain imprinted upon the glass of the windowpane, her small fingers gliding across the smooth surface.

She had to say something. But what?

Jennie turned to Lisa, as if she knew how much trouble Lisa was having talking.
"Guess there won't be any stars tonight," she sighed, the skin around her eyebrows crinkling just a little.

Then Lisa knew she was done for.

"Come with me to see the stars tomorrow."

##

Lisa didn't know what she was thinking when she so brazenly asked Jennie to see the stars with her.

She almost hated herself for asking when she did. Except she was glad she asked when Jennie accepted immediately without a moment's hesitation.

So tonight she was going to see the stars. With Jennie.

The thought of having someone to accompany her on her observations filled her heart so, she wasn't sure if she could contain all the happiness she was entitled to all at once.

Lisa sat on the soft, fibrous grass of the field near her apartment, where they had arranged to meet. She had spread out a blanket for Jennie- she couldn't risk Jennie getting grass on her outfit- it would be ungentlemanly of Lisa.

Lisa gazed upon the shimmering dots that had begun to appear across the sky, her eyes moving to locate the different constellations.

"Sorry I'm late," Lisa felt a hot breath beside her ear, startling her out of her daze. 

Jennie. She really came. Lisa grinned shyly, and felt a blush creeping up the tips of her ears .

"I only recently got into astronomy," Jennie started, "because of someone."

Someone? Lisa felt her heart sink. Maybe Jennie had someone special to her after all.

"Who?" she whispered hesitantly, only to be met with silence.

The pair spent the rest of the night in a comfortable, easy silence.

##

In the following weeks to come, Lisa found herself spending every clear night with Jennie on the field, looking at the stars.

Slowly but surely, both sides slipped into the nightly routine of stargazing. 

But tonight, Lisa finally felt like she was ready to confess. She would walk up to Jennie, confident for once, look her straight in the eye and say those three little words that held so much meaning in them.

She would do so under the stars.

When Lisa felt Jennie's presence settling into the familiar spot beside Lisa on her blanket, she turned to the older girl in anticipation.

"Jennie I-" 

Until she realised how close Jennie's face was to hers.

Then Lisa felt her pulse quicken, going dry and heat creeping up her face.

It was now or never.

" I-" Lisa started, but was cut off by a sweet, gentle yet electrifying pressure on her lips.

And stars lit up the world around her.

Then Jennie broke the kiss, moving her hands, interlocking them behind Lisa's neck. "Sorry, I couldn't resist," Jennie admitted, "you were too cute, I felt like gobbling you up."

Lisa felt like her cheeks were afire. "I love you," Lisa stated.

"I love how you laugh with your hand over your mouth." Lisa moved her hand over Jennie's, her hand enveloping the older girl's tiny hands. 

"I love the fact that you get sleepy under the stars sometimes," Lisa pulled a stray strand of hair from Jennie's face.

"I love your smile and when you wink I get so hot and bothered," Lisa looked down into her lap.

"And most of all, I love you for being you," Lisa whispered, reaching towards Jennie once more, her lips meeting the older girl's, the kiss increasingly full of desire.

Jennie bit Lisa's lower lip, running her tongue over the edges of the other girl's teeth. The kiss deepened, as neither girl broke away.

Lisa felt her desire resonate between them, the kiss bringing across what words couldn't.

And when they finally broke away, their lips bruised from the exchange, neither girl looked away from the other, their eyes engaging in a muted conversation.

"Tell me all about the stars," Jennie implored, "tell me all about how much you love them and show me every constellation in existence."

Lisa saw the stars reflected in Jennie's eyes- she no longer needed to look for them in anyone else's but Jennie's. 

"I will," Lisa said, reaching again for Jennie's lips, "I will."