Theory and Fact

A Letter From Chemistry Nerd

Life is organization.

Everything had its respective place and job.

Some called it fate, but I think of it as life.

I belonged in a realm of quantum theories and Maxwell-Boltzmann distributions.

The world consisting of Schrodinger and Lavoisier.

Some called it nerd, but I think of it as genius.

The other half of the realm belonged to lies and concupiscence.

Sins were committed at the sake of beauty.

Fools chased after momentarily pleasures like love and .

Everything and everyone mixed and mingled, like homogenous solution.

Some called it art, but I think of it as fissure.

Amongst that realm lived Kim Seokjin.


Here’s a theory: Beautiful people are s.

When I was eighteen, I thought of universities as a great foundation in which to build my educational background. I thought it would be filled with like-minded people who found fascination in hydrogen bonding than drinking until your liver literally started to corrode.

I was wrong. That was another theory that was proven wrong so many times in the span of two short years at my university.

I checked my watch for the 12th time since stepping into the bar filled with 2nd year university students. It was supposed to be a “little” gathering for the same year students but judging by the amount of drunken bodies colliding into each other, “little” was a huge understatement.

I didn’t even want to be here in the first place, but I knew enough to understand customs and university culture to have a common sense to at least show up.

10 minutes and 20 greetings from random people, that was a respectful amount of time and faces to ensure my respect for this stupidity they called customary rituals.

When I finally escaped the loud music and drunken shouting, I was greeted by coldness of early December night. The sky was dark grayish with tint of moon shinning behind the clouds.

As my body temperature slowly decreased and my mind began to clear, a lingering thought struck me once again.

My theory called Beautiful s.

Or maybe I should just call it the Theory of Kim Seokjin.

Kim Seokjin is a 2nd year student at our university and the most famous one in the art department. They said he was the next Picasso and Gogh and his paintings were like a storybook. His arts made people feel things that they have never felt in their life before. Kim Seokjin was a genius.

Naturally, I was intrigued by the fact that he could be compared to Picasso and Gogh but more so that he refused an overseas studying opportunity at the best art college in the world. He didn’t even stop for a second to consider, it was an immediate response that angered his professor to the point where he refused to let Kim Seokjin come back to his class until he accepted the scholarship. Two weeks of silence and two weeks of Kim Seokjin standing outside of professor Jang’s class, it was decided that Seokjin was the most stubborn student he has ever taught.

I wanted to meet him.

I might even consider accepting him as a colleague.  

Needless to say, life never fails to disappoint me.

Kim Seokjin was an .

Another rumor that I try not to focus on was his physical compliment. They said he was the most beautiful person to ever grace the earth. They were not wrong but they should’ve at least included a warning sign that said “WARNING! ALERT”.

Long story short, I reached out for a handshake and he walked away.

LIKE WHO DOES THAT?!

My chemistry lab partner, Yoongi laughed and told me I was overreacting and just butthurt that I got rejected by the campus god but it had nothing to do with rejection and everything to do with respect.

Kim Seokjin was unbelievably hot but that didn’t mean he can be a .

Just thinking about what happened this afternoon made my blood boil and my fist clenched.

I was mumbling under my breath when I tripped and almost fell.

I steadied myself and turned around furiously when I spotted someone’s legs poking out from the alleyway.

I, or anyone of decent IQ, would’ve ran after seeing a pair of legs poking out from a dark alley way.

However, the shock of Kim Seokjin made me do crazy . 

I approached the body laying inside the dark alley.

There laid Kim Seokjin.  

Foul stench of garbage filled the air and mice darted from one trash bag to another. It was like two different realms colliding into each other. The most beautiful person was laying amongst filth.

He was crying. As he laid on the dirty cement floor, he cried like a kid who just lost his mother in the grocery store. He was shaking, and I didn’t know what to do.

I slowly backed out, but my escape was short-lived as his voice reached out.

“I’m sorry I ignored you. I’m… I’m just going through a breakup.” His voice was hoarse and broken, like a kid playing his violin for the first time.

It was ugly but behind the brokenness laid potential to be something harmonious.

Here’s a fact: I was an .

I suddenly felt heat rushing to my face as I realized my mistake. I caught him mid-tragedy and have mistaken it as rudeness. I was the ignorant one and I have blamed and cursed him for it. I thought I was rational and thoughtful, but I was just another

I put my head down as the sound of him getting up echoed through the silent December night.

“I’m sorry I thought you ignored me and I kind of thought you were an .” The words that came out of my mouth were all mushed and incoherent.

“Can you help me get over my breakup?” Before I could even comprehend his words, I felt his cold hands reaching out to me.

He grabbed my coat collar and pulled me closer to him.

In that instant I could’ve swear that the time stopped.

My heart was beating faster and faster.

I had the time and strength to push him away if I wanted to.

Here’s a theory: Kim Seokjin was pratically a stranger.

Here’s a fact: I didn’t want to pull away from his kiss.