III

Obsession

Sanghyuk thought he was so clever, but Jaehwan knew he was even cleverer than a boy who kept conducting fishy business among the trees in the park, behind the bookshelves of the library, and in the dirty toilet stalls of the men’s room. Therefore Jaehwan, quite unlike himself, took notes—too bad those notes wouldn’t help him pass his Geometry exam.

“See? He met up with that guy, Wonshik, in the library,” Jaehwan told Hakyeon, sticking his notes under Hakyeon’s nose and covering the screen of Hakyeon’s phone.

“That doesn’t mean anything,” Hakyeon said, batting away Jaehwan’s hand so he could continue scrolling through his Twitter feed.

“Of course it does!” Jaehwan exclaimed and climbed up on Hakyeon’s bed, pointing at his notes. “Neither Sanghyuk nor Wonshik ever go to the library, and we all know Wonshik is high on something ten hours out of the twelve he spends awake! They were whispering in the corner!”

“Jaehwan,” Hakyeon sighed and sat up in bed, cupping Jaehwan’s cheeks in both hands. “With all due respect and with all the love I feel for you… you’re being paranoid and your obsession with Sanghyuk is starting to grate on my nerves. Go and kiss him or tell him to sleep with you, just— please, do something about this, because I’m near suicidal from the whole thing, okay?”

Jaehwan stayed utterly still for a few tense moments, his cheeks gradually heating up under Hakyeon’s soft palms. When he next spoke, his voice trembled with suppressed anger.

“I wanted to share the brownies I bought today with you,” he said, “but I don’t share my food with people who aren’t my friends.”

With that, he stood up, and spent the rest of the evening glowering at Hakyeon from his bed while munching on his brownies and pouting at every single bite.