On Rainy Days

21st Century Tales of 4th Grade Dumb Dumbs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was one of those days.

 

Where you wanted to snuggle under your blanket in the coziness of your bed with a cup of frothing hot chocolate in one hand, enjoying a heart-stopping movie amidst a thundering storm raging outside.

 

Son Seungwan tapped her pencil as thudding raindrops pelted against the gigantic arch windows of their school library. It was lunch time. Lightning lit up their playground. She could see some students were still skidding around under the pouring torrent as teachers with huge ominous black umbrellas chased after them, undoubtedly screaming with whistles under their breath.

 

Thunder cracked and everyone in the library screamed much to the distaste of Mrs. Shin, their school librarian, and several other senior library monitors whom began to chastise second graders whom were now hiding under tables shaking the legs of chairs, shrieking all the while. Seungwan blocked her ears. She reminded herself to purchase ear plugs on rainy days from now on.

 

Glancing back to her opened textbook, she righted her glasses that were sliding off her nose. She had to get this done. It was half past one. She only had half an hour to complete this algebraic chapter. She looked at the next batch of questions. Integers! Seungwan smiled knowing she was going to finish this in a breeze.

 

However, the moment her pencil touched the paper, the library doors slid open with a bang and Seungwan gasped as several boys entered, dripping wet from head to toe.

 

“Mrs. Shin! Sorry for the trouble but these boys,” the teacher on duty jerked them to the front, “–are on detention. Please don’t let them out of your sight. They have been given work sheets to be completed by the end of this lunch time.”

 

The teacher then turned to the boys with a scornful expression. “Mrs. Lee will hear about this!” She walked off angrily muttering along the lines of ‘uneducated monkeys’ and something about a ‘ruined fur coat’.

 

Mrs. Lee?

 

Seungwan peered at the boys closely only to realise it was them.

 

Kim Taehyung, Jung Hoseok, Park Jimin, Jeon Jungkook, Kim Namjoon, Kim Seokjin and Min Yoongi stood there drenched, making a mess of a puddle on the floor. Seungwan sat back down speechless.

 

“Well boys,” Mrs. Shin nodded appearing rather amused. “Let’s dry you off first.”

 

The hustle and bustle within the library resumed back to normal as the boys approached their librarian without an ounce of regret on their faces.

 

“Miss! She has got to be kidding. Work during lunch time?” Taehyung used his signature puppy eyes.

 

“Yeah we were just enjoying the beauty of rain Miss!” Hoseok rambled with a gleeful laugh.

 

Seungwan could hardly believe the extent of their shamelessness. She stuck her head to the desk hoping none of them would see her.

 

“Boys, boys, boys! One of these days the cold will come biting on your shoulders.” Mrs. Shin handed all of them mini towels for them to dry off. “Your parents will not be happy about this.” She raised her eyebrows quite sternly. “How many times? The library isn’t your personal detention centre.”

 

Namjoon folded his towel placing it on the borrowing desk. “Don’t worry Miss! All of us have very strong immune systems. No cold is a match for us!”

 

The rest of the boys nodded, acting as if they totally understood what Namjoon was talking about.

 

“My parents want me to interact with nature,” Seokjin added proudly. “Much better than staying at home playing video games all day right Miss?”

 

There was an awkward pause before Mrs. Shin crossed her arms. She looked as if she was trying to maintain her authority, but the boys knew she had been won.

 

“Go there and sit quietly reading books until the bell rings.”

 

The boys hooted flinging their worksheets in the air running after the reading tables.

 

Seungwan panicked and practically flung her head onto the desk so that her face was completely hidden under her hair. Sound of chairs scraping echoed all around her. Maybe she could finish her work unnoticed somewhere else. She carefully lifted her book and rose slowly from her seat.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?”

 

Seungwan froze. Her eyes peeped over her glasses to see all seven boys surrounding her. She turned her head to see that Park Jimin had his hand secured over her chair.

 

Huffing, she pushed his hand out of the way which earnt a round of snorts from the boys.

 

“You were studying… during lunch time?” Jungkook gestured at her textbook as if it was the most ridiculous thing.

 

Her cheeks flaming she covered her books tightly in her arms trying to make her escape.

 

“Don’t forget your hello kitty pencil case!” Taehyung laughed waving it in the air.

 

“Hey! Give that back!” She lunged but failed, dropping her maths textbook in the process.

 

Her head screaming, she could barely watch as Yoongi slowly retrieved it. His face was blank, almost unreadable. “You study from a Year Seven maths textbook?” His voice was quiet, almost silent in disbelief.

 

“Year Seven? Maths? Textbook?” Hoseok yapped snatching the book from Yoongi. He stared at Seungwan as if she had travelled from somewhere afar and out of space.

 

Seungwan said nothing as she stole the book from Hoseok. Why was studying in peace such a difficult task?

 

Taehyung didn’t let up as he stared at her in half seriousness and half awe. “Do you even maths? We’re in grade four.” He counted his fingers. Four, he mouthed.

 

“It’s actually not that hard. You could do it if you tried.” She tried to brush off, highly flustered.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter