The reason you smile

[One-shot] The reason you smile

 

“I don’t get it,” Donghae thought to himself, as he looked out the window from the cafe.

It was a really windy day – it was about to become spring, but it still hadn’t won over the winter just yet.

The two seasons were fighting bravely, which had made the weather seem rather moody lately.

Today was the same as the other days – it wasn’t cold neither warm, but the wind made everyone stay inside if they could.

He hid his face behind the cowl of his hoodie, as he pulled his cap longer down, so he wouldn’t get recognized by any of his fans, before he took another sip of his now half lukewarm coffee.

For hours he had been sitting at exactly the same spot, as he observed a young woman, who had decided to fight the weather.

At first she had just been standing in front of the statue with a huge smile on her face despite the weather, as she seemed to expect someone to come and get her.

Donghae couldn’t explain why he had seen her. She had just kind of been there – in his sight – like she was supposed to be there.

Without noticing the time he had just been looking at her. He wanted to see, who she was expecting.

After about an hour, he had looked at the clock. Why was she still standing there? Why would she keep waiting?

He was really surprised about, how devoted she was to whoever she was waiting for. It wasn’t usual for anyone to be this patient anymore – especially not around their age – well he expected her to be around his age that was.

Another hour passed, and she had moved from the place she had been standing to sit on the statue.

This was also around the time, she picked up her cell phone to receive a call.

 Of course it was impossible for him to hear her conversation, but the smile she had been wearing while waiting suddenly disappeared completely.

She had been trying bravely to keep her smile all this time, but it had begun to fade little by little as the time went on – but after the phone call it was gone, as if the wind had stole it.

For Donghae it felt like, he got stabbed by a small knife in his chest, as her smile disappeared. He had found it strangely comforting to watch her smile like she had no cares in the world, so it felt so wrong not to see her smile anymore.

It was around this time, he had ordered the second cup of coffee. The cup with lukewarm coffee, he was drinking now, but that of course wasn’t important.

One more hour had passed, and the young woman’s smile still hadn’t returned.

To be honest – she was crying. She had been trying hard for about a half hour to stop her tears. Once in awhile a tear would fall, but she would wipe it away angrily, as she would hide her face behind her scarf, so no one would notice.

But Donghae had noticed. Just as he had noticed everything else about her the past few hours.

 She gave up after fighting bravely for a half hour. The tears started streaming down her face, as she just sat in front of the statue looking helplessly around her, as she hoped not to be soon by anyone, but of course she didn’t know someone was noticing her.

This was the moment Donghae stood up, as he threw some tips on the table, before leaving the warmth of the café, he had been sitting at the past few hours.

With long and certain steps he made his way towards her and the statue.

He couldn’t explain, what made him do it, nor what she wanted from her, but he knew that he wanted to see her smile once again. The prettiest smile he had ever seen.

He took of his cap, as he walked, while making sure, he was hiding in the darkness of his cowl.

As he took the final step to her, he put his cap on her head, so no one would be able to tell, that she was crying.

“Please don’t cry,” Donghae said as he kneeled, beside her, so he could look her into her eyes, “because you’re really pretty, when you smile.”

Magically the tears stopped, as her expression got replaced by a confused complexion.

“I don’t know, what you mean,” she said with a hoarse voice, as she had been crying for quite awhile.

“I’ve been watching you from over there,” Donghae pointed at the café behind him, before he continued, “you were smiling not so long ago – it was really pretty.”

Donghae sent her a smile. He knew that smiles were contagious, so he was hoping that it would make her want to smile.

“Why were someone as famous as you watching someone like me?” the look in her eyes were questionable, since they examined him with confusion, happiness and a little  bit of the sadness there still were left hidden in there.

“You know, who I am?” Donghae asked in surprise.

Of course he was aware of the fact, that he was in Super Junior and that he was widely known, but for some reason he hadn’t thought, that she would know him.

“Of course,” She just simply answered. Donghae was her bias, how could she not know, who he was.

“Why aren’t you…” he didn’t finish the sentence, since he didn’t want to offend her. He wanted to see her smile not make her mad.

“Jumping up and down like crazy?” she finished the sentence for him, before answering, “as you know, I’m not really in the mood – not even if you’re my bias.”

He looked at her in chock. He was her bias? But why? He didn’t really understand it.

Without continuing their conversation, he decided to ask her something else: “Who were you waiting for?”

She looked up at him in surprise. “How do you know, that I was waiting for someone?”

Somehow she captured her own reflection somewhere, so she hurriedly removed some of the mascara, she had under her eyes after crying.

Donghae hesitated before answering her, but decided to be completely honest with her: “I have been watching you from that café over there, since you got here. I don’t know why, but you caught my attention. Or rather – your smile did.” He smiled at her, when he told her the last thing. He really loved her smile.

“I was waiting for my classmate,” she sighed, “she promised to meet me here.”

“But why did you wait for hours?” he looked worried at her – he was afraid something might had happened, “you could had gone home?”

“I know,” she gave him a small smile, before continuing, “but I was really looking forward to this… I really want to make a new friend, since I don’t have that many…”

Once again she paused. Donghae knew she was going to tell her more, so before thinking it through, he took her hand, so she would know, that he was listening carefully to every word she spoke.

“I guess you also saw the phone call,” Donghae nodded once to answer her, as she continued, “it was my very good friend, who called me to say, that my classmate wouldn’t come… that she was at the café my friend worked at…”

Donghae squeezed her hand, as he knew, this was hard for her.

“I don’t know… I was just looking forward to this,” the tears started falling from her beautiful eyes once again, and before Donghae even realized, what he was doing, he hugged her tight.

“At least you didn’t waste today,” Donghae said loudly enough for her to hear, “you made a new friend – someone you weren’t expecting to meet.”

She pushed him carefully away, so he wouldn’t misunderstand her.

“You’re going to be my friend?” She gaped a little, as she forgot how distressed, she had been few moments ago.

Donghae thought about it for a moment, before he asked her something really unexpected: “What’s your name?”

She looked a bit confused but answered: “My name’s Mia.”

Donghae said her name a few times for himself. It was hard to tell whether he just wanted to make sure he remembered her name, or if it was because he just liked the sound of the name.

“Well Mia,” he started, “I’m not going to be your friend.”

Mia looked hurt at him, as she got ready to walk away. She had been hurt enough for one day, and she didn’t also want to get rejected by the one person, she admired more than anything in the world.

He quickly grabbed her wrist, as he finished, what he wanted to tell her: “I don’t want to be your friend, because I want to be the reason, why you smile!”

Once again she gave him a confused looked. It seemed like, that was the only emotion she felt around him – confusion.

“Why?” She simply asked him. It was a simple question, and she expected a simple answer.

“Because I’m the biggest fan of your smile,” he laughed, as he pulled her into a hug.

 

A/N: I really hope, that you guys enjoyed this just as much, as I enjoyed writing it~ :D

I should seriously be writing on so many others things at the moment OTL

I'm thinking about making a sequel, since it's a pretty open ending, but I guess, I'll do it another day XD

Saranghae~