Part 2/2

Heartbeats

--

 

“Oh my god so you mean I wasn’t poisoned?”

The girl on the other line laughed. “Yah do you think Joohyun sunbae’s a murderer?”

“Well I just thought.. because the brownies, you know? That’s the last and only thing I ate today.”

“Stop blaming the innocent brownies, bear. You said Joohyun sunbae touched your lips right?”

“Not exactly touched but she accidentally brushed her finger into my lips when she made me ate the brownie.” The bear mumbled shyly.

“YOU’RE ONE LUCKY BEAR YOUR SOULMATE’S JOOHYUN SUNBAE!!! FREAKING JOOHYUN SUNBAE THE GODDESS! I’m so proud of you, Seul I thought you’ll die before even feeling your heart beat and finding you soulmate.” Moonbyul fake cries to tease to girl but nevertheless genuinely feeling happy for her friend.

 

Seulgi has stopped walking back and forth and lied flat on her bed while clutching her heart.

Heartbeat. Soulmate.

How funny, she thought because this wasn’t the reaction she was expecting from herself.

She thought before that she would surely jump out of joy after finally having a beating heart, shout loudly, walk around the neighborhood and disturb her neighbors. Then she would call her friends and celebrate with them. Then she would call her parents to thank her for giving her life. Then she would count her heartbeat with the one she loves and visit her teacher before, Ms Hwang and tell her how many times her heart beats per minute. Then count her heartbeat again, with the one who made her feel her heart is pumping blood.

The one who made her heart beat.

Bae Joohyun. The Bae, Joohyun.

The senior she’s been crushing on since she’s stepped her foot on the university.

 

“Byul are you sure, because Joohyun sunbae’s too pretty and too perfect to be my soulmate there must be a mistake.”

“Shut up Seul you’re also pretty just.. a bit off sometimes but you know how this thing works, right? Hell, there’s no way you would not because the world knows how obsessed you are with heart beats plus we learned about it in school. Only your soulmate could make you feel that way.”

 

Make you feel that way.

And as if on cue after the adrenaline rush she felt the uncomfortable feeling again making her stomach churn and her body heavy. It’s as if she could clearly feel every circulation of the blood in her body.

Her seemingly non-existent heart before, suddenly started beating fast and clear.

She buried her face on her pillow as she groaned.

But despite of the pain, there are other things she’s feeling. Excited? She still can’t decipher but she thinks it’s wonderful.

 

 “Oh, right the pain’s a . It will be there for a few days just bear with it. Hang in there Seul.”

“Do you think Joohyun sunbae already knows?”

“With a pain like that do you think she won’t?”

“Right, I’ll hang up now bye Byul”

“Wait why—“

 

She immediately stood up and she’s got nothing in mind right now but to check the girl next door.

 

--

 

She knocked on the door beside her house still wearing her pajama with bear patterns. She forgot thinking about changing into something more presentable because she wants to see Joohyun right away.

After a few seconds, the door was opened by a wide-eyed bunny that is also clutching her heart like what Seulgi is also doing. It seems like she has also went to bed because she’s wearing a pajama like Seulgi too. The only difference is it has bunny as patterns.

What a cute sight.

As, they saw each other, they felt their hearts race more frantically.

 

“S-Seulgi.”

She didn’t know that Joohyun could also stutter.

“Are you feeling fine, sunbae?”

The girl flinched looking pained, it’s the soulmate sickness, Seulgi thought.

“I-I’m---“

And before the girl could answer, Seulgi wrapped her around her arms.

She stopped thinking and hugged Joohyun. She doesn’t know what has gotten into her but seeing her looking sick like that made her want to hug and protect the shorter girl.

They were both surprised but Seulgi didn’t let go.

And Joohyun didn’t either. In fact, she wrapped her arms around Seulgi’s waist and buried her face into her chest.

And they just stayed like that.

They have known each other for a long time because of being familiar names in the university but they never really talked.

It was just Seulgi stealing glances at Joohyun everytime, or so she thought.

And when Joohyun catches her staring, she would smile at her.

But now they are hugging each other like that.

It’s weird but they weren’t feeling uncomfortable.

If they were feeling anything it was comfort. In each other’s arms. And they enjoy that.

It feels like they have known each other for a long time.

Maybe this is how this soulmate thing works. They thought.

 

 

“Do you want to come inside?” Joohyun mumbled with her face still buried on Seulgi’s chest.

“Y-yeah.”

Seulgi answered back shyly preparing herself of letting the other girl go but she was surprised when Joohyun spoke again.

“D-don’t. Let’s go inside like this.” Then she hugged the bear tighter.

It was almost a whisper but Seulgi heard her and she can’t help but smile because she doesn’t want to let her go too.

 

--

 

Of course when they sat on Joohyun’s couch, they had to let go of each other.

It’s hard to talk like that, right?

 

They remained quiet for a few seconds before they spoke.

“U-uhm---“

“S-so---“

 

They smiled shyly at each other after speaking at the same time but then Joohyun urged Seulgi to speak first.

 

“So, Joohyun sunbae I-I’m sorry about earlier I just got shy.. but please let me introduce myself better this time.”

“It’s fine Seulgi. I don’t mind since you were so cute looking flustered and all.” The girl resembling a bunny giggled.

 

Oh damn she knew I was flustered. But how am I the one cute? This sight right here, this is what defines cuteness. Seulgi thought.

 

Seulgi gathered all the courage in her body despite of being a blushing mess and spoke “Hi, Joohyun sunbaenim, I’m Kang Seulgi, your soulmate.”

 

She bit her lip when she realized what she had just said. She was supposed to say schoolmate but her tongue won’t let her live.

 

Joohyun grinned at the bear whose ears even turned red this time.

“I like you Seulgi.”

“I’m sorry sunbae I was supposed to say school--- W-what?”

 

“I said I like you. It’s just I never had the chance to approach you since you’re always with your friends plus I-I’m shy and y-you’ve also got a lot of girls around you.” The bunny said with a small voice as she looked down and played with her fingers.

“I always see you helping other people around and I’ve always known you’re kind. Seungwan’s my friend and she’s been telling me a lot of things about you like how clumsy you are yet adorable at the same time. You’re good at dancing and singing and that may be the reason of the long line of fan girls you have. You’re cute and pretty at the same time and every time you smile at me it makes me happy.”

 

Joohyun breathes before staring at the other girl again.

 

“And you’re very sweet... I know you’ve been sending me letters Seulgi.”

 

It was too much for Seulgi to take. The senior that she’s been crushing on likes her and if things can get any better she’s also her soulmate.

 

“H-how did you know?” was all Seulgi could say.

Joohyun giggled. “It was obvious Seulgi. You always draw bears at the end of your letter. So much for being a secret admirer when the whole university calls you bear.

 

Seulgi blushed really hard. It’s been years she’s been sending Joohyun letters and all this time she knew it was her. Really, so much for calling herself a secret admirer.

 

“Well I-I like you too sunbae, since I first saw you. But I always thought you’re too high for me to reach.”

Joohyun smiled “You say that all the time on your letter. That’s why I thought I should confess first. It feels really nice hearing you say you like me in person.. But will you please stop calling me sunbae? It makes me feel old.” The girl pouted.

“A-alright J-Joohyun.” The bear spoke shyly for she still wasn’t used to calling the girl just that. And she still can’t get over the giddy feeling of her crush liking her back.

“That’s better.” She smiled widely

“And I know you’re my soulmate. I can clearly feel it you know.” She clutched her heart feeling the surging pain again but she still smiled. “It was a good idea that I fed you those brownies.”

“So, we’re both sick, huh?” Seulgi spoke more confidently now since Joohyun gives her all the reason to be comfortable around her. And it must be the feeling of being soulmates, the connection between them, that is.

“Yeah” Joohyun on the other hand spoke shyly as she slowly scoots over nearer Seulgi.

Her next words justified her actions.

“So, would you please hold me?” She said in a smaller voice.

 “Hey you’re not the only one who’s sick you know.” Seulgi pouted.

“Y-you don’t have to if you don’t—“

“You should hold me too.”

Seulgi smiled at the girl blushing hard in front of her as she wrapped her arms around her comfortably and whispered in her ear.

“I’ll stay with you until we’re both feeling well. And well that might change since I think I’ll stay with you until.. maybe forever? I’m your soulmate you know?

“I’d love that.” Joohyun smiled and snuggled closer to Seulgi.

 

--

 

After a few months.

 

Moonbyul said it feels like rats are running around your chest but with Joohyun, she feels like there’s an elephant parade.

Yeri said heart beat sounds lub dub and it really is true. But sometimes she thinks she hears peek-a-peek-a-boo (okay sorry not sorry)

Joy was right about purchasing (she didn’t stole hers unlike Joy) a stethoscope. She said with Wendy she felt 200 beats per minute and Seulgi thought it was an exaggeration before but now, she thinks was counting 500.

 

“Hyun I think I’m counting 500 beats per minute.” Seulgi said as she kept playing with the stethoscope she bought. Joy said it was easier to count heartbeats with these and boy, it was fun. So fun that Seulgi keeps playing with it.

“Last time you said 300, now 500? Really, Seul? 

“I don’t know I think it increases the longer I’m with you Hyunnie~” Seulgi snuggled closer to the girl beside her.

Joohyun can’t help but laugh at her cute bear. “Alright whatever you say. But we should sleep now, silly bear. We’re going to see Miss Hwang tomorrow, remember?”

“Right, let’s go to sleep Hyunnie. I can’t wait to tell Ms. Hwang my 500 beats per minute.” She grinned.

"And the reason for it." she, then gently kissed Joohyun's forehead.

The bunny chuckled at her soulmate’s cuteness.

 

“I love you Hyun.” Seulgi smiled as she kissed the her bunny's lips.

“I love you too Seul.” Joohyun replied as she kissed her bear back.

 

The snuggled close to each other like the way they do every night. Seulgi rests her head onto Joohyun’s chest and listened to her heart beat until she fell asleep.

 

It's the music she could listen to forever.

 

--

 

I’m sorry if this was crappy I don’t know what I was doing ;___;

And I just started writing stories so please bear with me ;____;

And I feel really happy reading your comments it makes me emotional seriously ;___;

Thank you for reading this!