Part 1/2

Heartbeats

 

Kang Seulgi always wondered how a beating heart feels.

Ever since they learned about heart beats in circulatory system when she was in elementary, she can't get it off her mind.

 

--

 

"Our heart beats 90-120 beats per minute.

"Ms. Hwang told her students who looked at her with amazed expressions.

Heart beats are always an interesting topic for children who still haven’t had an experience in falling in love. They can’t still feel their heart beating for they’re too young to fall inlove and meet their soul mates.

"But how could you count something you can't feel?" little Seulgi raised her hand and asked her teacher with an adorable confused face that made Ms. Hwang smile.

Heartbeats come and go.

If you fall inlove, you’ll be able to feel it. If you fall out of love, your heartbeat falters until you can’t feel it again.

But how would you know if you have found your soulmate?

It’s just actually simple. When you fall inlove with normal people, your heart beats normally. But if you found and touched your soulmate, the heart beats can be uncomfortable. It might make you feel sick for days. Don’t worry because it won’t just be you but the two of you. Both of you will be suffering but around a few days you’ll both be fine.

"You'll be able to feel it someday too Seulgi, when you fall inlove one day. Just wait for it and when you do, make sure to count your heart beat, alright?"

The little girl smiled as she nodded eagerly.

Since then, she can't wait to feel her heart beating.

 

--

 

It's been 23 years and yet, nothing.

 

According to Moonbyul, who's the most experienced among her friends, "I swear Seul it's exciting. The first time I touched Solar I was like electrocuted then I suddenly feel like rats are running around my chest. Rat's aren't exactly wonderful but the feeling of the beating heart and finding your soulmate is, trust me. Let’s just skip the thing about being sick for days ugh, I hate remembering that."

 

Joy told her, "You'll hear strange little sounds if you use a stethoscope. I stole my doctor’s stethoscope when I got sick the day I found my Wendy. It makes counting heartbeats easier." The tall girl grinned. "Whenever i'm with her I think I counted 200 beats in mine."

 

Even the 19 year old Yeri has already experienced a beating heart. "Hm.. lub dub, lub dub. I can't explain well unnie. You should feel it yourself for you to know." The younger girl sticks her tongue out before she ran which made the bear more frustrated.

 

She thinks it’s unfair how come she hasn’t fallen inlove even once.

 

--

 

She actually tried dating a few girls namely: Soojung, Yura, Jisoo, Mijoo, Yooa, Eunae, Gyuri, Nayeon---

okay, well not really few.

 

It's not like she used them just for feeling a heartbeat, don't misunderstand her, but she actually liked all of them. She was happy but she never gets to feel her heart beating which means that she doesn't love any of them and none of them is her soulmate.

That's why she decided to be single for good and just be friends with all of them.

 

She just decided to date her bed.

 

--

 

She slumped on her bed playing on her phone one Sunday morning when she heard a noise outside her apartment.

Being the curious bear that she is, she went outside to check and saw that someone is moving to the unit beside her home. Some men carried boxes inside the house but she still hasn't seen the person who's moving so she waited just to say hi for, they will be neighbors for who knows how long so why not, right?

After the last box has been moved inside the house, she finally saw her new neighbor who's trailing behind the mover.

And oh boy, she was stunned for there is the most beautiful girl she has ever seen in her entire life. The famous Joohyun sunbae who's their university's Goddess who a lot of students (including her) admired from a far.

 

"Hey." the girl flashed a blinding smile at Seulgi whose feet are rooted on the floor, still stunned.

"I'm Bae Joohyun, and I'll be your new neighbor. I hope we'll get along well." and the girl just had to wink at her which made the poor bear more flustered, blush creeping on her cheeks.

 

Of course she knew her. She's one of the many people who admires Joohyun.

 

"H-Hi. I'm Seulgi i-i-itwasnicetomeetyouthankyou"

 

And the flustered bear ran inside her house slamming the door.

 

The girl resembling a bunny giggled at her cute neighbor's reaction.

 

--

 

"Really Seulgi, the Bae Joohyun talked to you and all you said was it was nice to meet you and why did you even said thank you?! What was that?!" Moonbyul shouted on the other side of the line which made the other girl flinch.

 

"I was shocked, spare me Byul." The bear pouted. "She winked at me! how am I supposed to react? I was a blushing mess!" In fact she still is because she can't get Bae Joohyun's smile and wink (her face basically) off her mind.

 

Before Moonbyul could answer, Seulgi heard a knock.

 

"Hey, let's talk again later someone's knocking might be someone important. I'll call you later."

She walked towards the door and her eyes grew comically wide when she saw the girl that they have just been talking about a while ago outside her house.

 

"H-Hi a-again." She managed to croak in a small voice and she mentally slapped herself for being a stuttering mess in front of Joohyun.

 

"Hi Seulgi. I made some brownies and I thought I'll give you some so here, take this." The girl smiled at Seulgi as she hand her a box of brownies.

 

"T-thanks Joohyun sunbae." She smiled back as she shyly took the brownies. Of course she won't decline, it's food plus it's her admired sunbae who gave these to her.

 

"Please tell me how does it taste." There was almost a hint of shyness on the older girl's tone but Seulgi thought, why would she get shy in front of me it doesn't make sense.

 

"I'll tell you after I tasted it sunbae, thank you again." She smiled and she slightly bowed at Joohyun wanting nothing but to hide inside her room and squeal.

 

The bunny took one brownie and places it near the bear's mouth. "Please take a bite. I just want to see if it tastes fine." The hint of shyness on the older girl's voice was gone. It was almost demanding which made the taller girl afraid so, she took a bite not wanting to argue anymore and tried hard to hide the blush threatening to creep on her cheeks again when she felt Joohyun's fingers brushed her lips a bit.

 

"Woah it's delicious, sunbae!" She was actually surprised for it tastes really good. What can't Joohyun do, really? She's so perfect.

She swore she imagined a bunny's glimmering eyes when Joohyun smiled widely at her.

 

--

 

That night, she shifted uncomfortably in different lying positions and she keeps rolling on her bed.

She was feeling something really uncomfortable and she can't sleep. She kept thinking about the girl living next door. She feels like something's really wrong with her body yet she can't guess what it is.

 

She hasn't done anything aside from slacking off today so she can't be tired and she has not eaten anything aside from the brownies---

She suddenly sat upright on her bed. The brownies Joohyun gave her. That was the only thing that she had eaten. She finished eating all of it for it tastes really good plus she was an always hungry bear.

 

She cupped her hands into when she thought of the reason why she might be feeling weird.

 

"Byul!!!!" She shouted at the girl who just woke up from sleeping with a hint of panic in her voice.

 

"Kang Seulgi this better be something important or I'll kill you for interrupting my sleep and calling me this late."

 

"I think I was poisoned! Joohyun sunbae might've poisoned me for slamming the door at her when she was talking to me!! Or she thought I was a ert for staring at her for too long earlier!!! Or maybe she knew that I was keeping a picture of her in my locker and thought that I was one of her crazy fans who sends her cards everyday well I do send cards but I swear I'm not like those creepy ones I only write sweet words!! She gave me brownies earlier and made me eat it and asked me how it tastes and she touched my lips! Maybe there is poison on the brownies! Byul I'm dying! What am I supposed to do?!"

The bear was pacing back and forth as she placed a hand on her chest feeling a rush of pumping blood. She almost wants to cry because of this and she was panicking.

 

There was a moment of silence before Byul replied.

 

"Wait calm down bear Joohyun sunbae gave you brownies?" Moonbyul grinned.

"Yes but--" "And she made you eat it and asked you how it tastes?"

"Yes again but---" "And what did you say, she touched your lips?"

"YES AGAIN BUT WHAT THE HELL I'M DYING HERE AND WHY ARE YOU ASK--"

"How are you feeling?"

"I SAID I'M DYING WHAT DO YOU MEA--"

"Calm down stupid bear describe how are you feeling."

"MY CHEST ACHES AND I FEEL LIKE IT'S PUMPING SOMETHING LIKE WHAT OTHER ELSE IT IS IT'S BLOOD RIGHT IT'S LIKE MY HEART Is beating

oh my god----------

 

 

--

 

Our ever cute silly bear