Stop and Stare

The Whole World Stops and Stares For a While

 

Hyukjae’s eyes were squinted as he kept staring at his best friend as they headed for school. He could not fathom why Donghae did not see any changes on him. If the potion had not worked, he would head back to see that halmeoni and forced her to give him a refund. Or maybe the effect was delayed? But, the halmeoni did not say that… Hyukjae rolled his eyes; that witch and her twisted words.

 

“Will you stop staring and look ahead while walking? I’m already pissed off as it is,” Donghae grumbled, finally looking back with a glare that was downplayed by his jutted lips.

 

“You really don’t notice anything different? My jaw, maybe? My eyes? Ear? Arms?” for every question, Hyukjae got a straight up ‘nope’ with Donghae popping the ‘p’.  Sighing, Hyukjae thought, maybe because Donghae was mad with him, his friend would not even comment on anything. He would ask him again, later.

 

They were reaching the school gate when they heard a loud gasp, causing them to stop short on their track. In front of them, a junior – Hyukjae felt he had seen her before – was clutching her chest with eyes so wide he thought they would pop out. Even more unnerving, the girl was staring right at him. He turned to see if there was anything, but nope! It was really him she was looking at.

 

“So…” the girl croaked, her friend shouting her name over and over, “Good-looking!” She lifted her hand and pointed right at Hyukjae. Said boy felt his face drained of any colour.

 

An arm was thrown over his shoulders and Hyukjae was hauled passed the gate, his head tucked under Donghae’s arm. He managed to struggle out from the hold, glaring at his friend a moment before righting his uniform while continue to walk ahead, “That was some creepy but you did not have to manhandle me like that, bastard!” Donghae grabbed his wrist, halting him. “What else now?”

 

Donghae’s eyes had widened and the boy was gaping at him. He was not looking at Hyukjae, though. When Hyukjae followed his line of sight, he understood why.

 

They were standing right in the middle of the school’s field. Surrounding them was probably half of the school population, both boys and girls, staring right back at them. The only thing making a sound was probably the leaves rustling. Hyukjae thought he could see some teachers near the back too, also gawking.

 

And then, the silence broke. There were gasps, screams of ‘ki-yaaaaa’ and ‘he’s mine’, when Hyukjae turned he found a couple of students had fainted, a dozen closes to him and Donghae had blood pouring out of their noses. The worst was those running toward them, especially because there were boys among those. The girls were not making it easy, either, and Hyukjae cringed as there was multiples hair-pulling brawl going on in the midst of it.

 

A hand he recognised immediately as Donghae’s slipped into his and once again Hyukjae was tugged away into a run. His feet kept tangling as Hyukjae could not catch the footing right, his friend still dragging him away. When he checked, the rows of people chasing after them had thinned considerably.

 

“Hurts… Bastard, it hurts! Slow down a second!” Hyukjae tried to pull back but Donghae only stopped once they reached the school’s store room, a secluded enough area, he guessed. Donghae was panting, hands on his hip as Hyukjae himself tried to catch a breath. He groaned at his now dirt-filled shoes, and gestured at it to Donghae with a clear ‘what the ?’ face. 

 

“Is that what you wanted from the potion?”

 

“What? The school going on a rampage? No!”

 

“Then –”

 

“Wait, Haek…” Hyukjae cut the other off, placing a placating hand on his chest, “You’re implying this is all because of the potion?”

 

Donghae rolled his eyes, “What other could it be about?”

 

It was Hyukjae’s turn to gasp, leaning back slightly as he gave it a thought. Donghae meant half of the school were going crazy because of how good Hyukjae was looking? That people took a look at him and went havocked due to his face? Hyukjae placed both hands on each of his cheeks, his grimace spreading into a grin.

 

“My 5000₩ was worth it!”

 

Donghae smacked the back of his head and shushed at him, causing Hyukjae’s bottom lip to tremble as he caressed the back of his head.

 

“You’re celebrating?”

 

“The potion works! I’m not the ugly guy anymore! Not that I have ever been, but… You get what I mean!”

 

Donghae sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. Hyukjae heard his mumble of ‘I didn’t get enough sleep to handle this the bastard is causing, damn it!’ – he was starting to think that Donghae never even tried to be discreet about them.

 

Huffing once, Donghae regarded him seriously, his head tilted, “You really don’t want to go back to that halmeoni and dispel that potion right now?”

 

“She said no refund. Besides, it’s not so bad…”

 

“Oh,” Donghae grabbed him again, “Let’s go send you back to the sharks, shall we?” He made to pull Hyukjae once again.

 

Luckily, Hyukjae was quick to release himself and grinned apologetically, “No, no thank you. Sorry.”

 

“How are you going to handle that?”

 

Shrugging, he said, “Well, you are one of the most popular kids here. Make them tone it down?”

 

Donghae scoffed, “I have to be your bodyguard now?”

 

“Not bodyguard,” Hyukjae scratched his head, feeling sheepish, “Spokesperson? Come on! It’s just until ten tonight. Then, I’ll look perfect for that one special person I’ll choose.”

 

“Why ten? Why not –”

 

“Twelve? Yeah, I asked that halmeoni the same thing too.”

 

Donghae stared at him once again, non-stopped shaking his head before he rolled his eyes and walked back to the direction of the battlefield. Hyukjae heard him muttering on about ‘stupid potion, stupid bastard, and stupid me for going along with this. Bastard couldn’t just take whatever already in front of his eyes –’

 

“I’m really thinking you just want to spit all those grumbling right to my face,” shouted Hyukjae, trudging after his friend.

 

Donghae turned, pupils huge, lips pursed slightly and cheeks rounder than usual, “I have no idea what you’re insinuating,” he said before grinning. In the next second, though, Donghae scowled at him and stalked ahead once again. Chuckling, Hyukjae followed. It should not have been so adorable, how Donghae looked, but asked anyone else as well and they would agree it was.

 


 

Donghae, the cute, popular and adorable high schooler that he was, had shouted at the top his lungs at everyone going crazy over Hyukjae to, “Tone it down or off!” Remarkably, the students did as he was told. Hyukjae could only stare awestruck at his friend.

 

Despite any reluctance he had showed, Donghae still kept by his side as they went down the corridor to get to their class. It was big help as the ‘stopping and staring’ thing was still going on even through the halls. Heads were stuck out doors and the small windows and Hyukjae could feel every gaze on him. It both made him want to dug his head and hold his head high.

 

Murmurings of his looks were jumbling all over. Hyukjae heard about how lush his lips were one second and the next someone was saying how thin they were. Someone had said about his long eyelashes, and then there were talks on his double eye-lids. Hyukjae smiled at a group of girls and he received a shrilling squeal. It was… pretty bewildering, while also being exhilarating, listening to all sorts of comments when he himself could not see what they were seeing when he checked it through his phone’s camera.

 

“Do my eyes look bigger than usual, Haek?” he asked as he stared at himself in the school’s toilet mirror.

 

“No, they look just as their dazzling selves.”

 

“Don’t mock me, bastard!”

 

“You asked, idiot!”

 

Hyukjae sighed, touching his lips, “Regardless of everything else, all these compliments are definitely boosting my confidence…”

 

“Maybe just how big your head is,” Donghae retorted, out loud this time, seemingly uncaring as the boy were fixing his own hair.  Hyukjae found himself less offended and more amused at his friend’s grumbling.

 

“I still wonder why you don’t seem to be affected by this potion thing.”

 

“I’m immune to bull things.”

 

Hyukjae snorted, “False; you cannot be immune to yourself.” He received a smack on the back of his head and okay, while gritting his teeth, he guessed he deserved that one.

 

“I’m going to get some buns. This day only, I’ll let you go first to our usual place, just so you can avoid any obsessed lunatics.”

 

“I know you love me, Haek, I do!”

 

Hyukjae did not notice the slight falter in Donghae’s steps before the boy walked out.

 

Righting his uniform while exiting the men’s room, Hyukjae found himself slammed not too harshly against the wall as soon as he was out. And no! He did not yelp!

 

“H-Hyoyeon!”

 

“Hi, Hyukjae,” the said girl greeted him, conspicuously not letting him move away with her arms trapping him against the wall. Hyoyeon flipped her hair over to one side as she stared right into Hyukjae’s eyes.

 

Gulping, due to the close proximity and how his heart was hammering in his chest because of that fact, Hyukjae could only pull a reluctant grin, “What em… What do you want?”

 

“Well,” Hyoyeon placed a hand on her waist, making herself seemed more lax, “I’m just wondering if you already have a date for tonight. And, I’d like to volunteer, if you haven’t.”

 

Hyukjae actually found Hyoyeon to be quite attractive, to be honest. The girl had the looks; she also had this charming thing about her, especially when she danced. And she was usually one of those who were nice enough to him. They hung out a few times, along with Donghae and a couple more classmates, though that happened in middle school and not high. Currently, though? Hyukjae just did not feel like saying ‘yes’.

 

One problem.

 

He was really bad at giving out rejection after so long of being at the receiving end.

 

Taking a deep breath, Hyukjae lightly pushed Hyoyeon away, keeping what he thought might be a polite smile on at all times, “Sorry?” the word came out in squeak.

 

Hyoyeon seemed to glare at him for one short second before she nodded and smiled, patting him on his shoulder, “It’s okay. He’s lucky.” She offered up a fist which Hyukjae thought was to hit him, but it was just for a bump.

 

If only every other rejection ended the same way.

 

The two minutes it usually took to reach to get his and Donghae’s favourite spot – yup, that quiet place near the school’s store room – spread into 20 minutes and he had a couple of surprise smooches from the more daring ones. Hyukjae had never wished his best friend was there to save him more than he did in that time. A girl cried when Hyukjae said ‘no’ and he did not understand what else she was expecting because she was a junior and could not even come to the prom. Then there was the girl from Class 3-1 that slapped him before strutting away.

 

Really, Hyukjae did not know why he was dismissing all the proposals. This was the reason Hyukjae paid for the potion; to get dates for the senior party. Even better, he did not even have to go asking around – the girls were coming at him and yup, most of them were beautiful. Yet, he was getting much more uncomfortable with how the other students were reacting. At this rate, he wouldn’t be able to find anyone by 10pm but, what else could he do?

 

Looking at his glaring best friend, Hyukjae felt the only person he even wanted around at that moment was Donghae, seriously.

 

“Did you get lost somewhere in the sea of sharks while I was gone?” asked Donghae as Hyukjae took his seat next to him on the stone bench.

 

Sighing – he was getting old soon – Hyukjae laid his head on his friend’s shoulder, taking the offered tissue and wiping his face with it, “I don’t think I’m taking anyone to the prom. I’ll just get some girl there.”

 

“Is that not wasting your 5000₩?”

 

“Nah, I’ll use it wisely while in that party later. Besides, with the dozens of compliments I received I don’t think it’s such a waste.”

 

“But, why are you not asking anyone?”

 

Hyukjae lifted his head and tilted his head to look at Donghae, who mimicked his action, “Because if I do so, my best friend will be going alone.”

 

Faking a gasp and placing a hand on his chest, Donghae said, “I’m going to cry. I never knew you cared.”

 

With both hands, Hyukjae grabbed on to Donghae’s, “I’ve always cared. I love you.”

 

After a moment of staring into each other’s eyes, they both laughed, Donghae’s hand hitting Hyukjae’s back.

 

Hyukjae did not know why he felt his own laughter was insincere.

 

 

“You look… great.”

 

“Is the potion finally working on you?”

 

Donghae sneered, “No, idiot. I’m saying this as a good friend.”

 

Hyukjae wore a complete white suit, his father’s, with white, crisp shirt, a black tie and oxford shoes. Mom – who, along with his father, Hyukjae had tested and proven to have no effect from the potion – had said he looked like a gentleman and that had been the compliment he liked the most for the whole day.

 

Donghae had a blue velvet suit on and, Hyukjae had never doubted his friend’s handsomeness but damn, the other looked ravishing with his silky cream shirt and loose tie. He even had a couple buttons on the top undone.

 

“You look… stunning, Donghae, really.”

 

“Oh, so you’re feeling like being a good friend too?”

 

Chuckling to hide any of his real thoughts, Hyukjae said, “Yeah, that.”

 

They arrived at the hotel together and Hyukjae wondered why he was still shocked to see everyone stopping and turning to stare at them as they entered. This thing should be getting old.

 

Despite his words of finding some girl, Hyukjae actively stuck by Donghae’s side, following the other everywhere and then settling at a table. After the principal gave her speech, the dance floor was lit up and a disco ball dropped down, putting most people in the mood to dance. The music was lit and Hyukjae found himself bobbing his head to it, Donghae joining him as they sang the rap.

 

Hyukjae saw a girl coming toward Donghae, and then he felt a hand tapping his shoulder. Turning around, two girls from the class next door were there and one was looking really red.

 

“You’re so handsome. Dance with us?” the slightly more composed one asked.

 

“Eh…”

 

Hyukjae really did not feel like it. He was enjoying just sitting there with Donghae much more than he thought he would and he was unwilling to let that fade away. Looking at his friend to help him, Hyukjae’s eyes met Donghae’s spot on. There was a question in them, a hesitation. Looking up at the girl next to his friend for a split second before meeting Donghae’s eyes again, Hyukjae thought, that just maybe, Donghae was asking help from him as well.

 

But…’

 

Hyukjae realized he was gaping when the girls waiting for him asked again. His hand was grabbed and he was pulled up from his seat, and all the while he was pulled away with his feet heavy, Hyukjae felt just as lost as Donghae looked as they parted with different partners.

 

It was hard to get the move right when his mind was somewhere else – on someone else to be more exact. With him being a good closet dancer, though, it was not that difficult to keep the girls hooked and happy enough.

 

Hyukjae could not get rid of the look Donghae gave him – the reluctance, the hoping… the begging – from his head nor could he fully understand what it meant. Just that it mirrored his feelings pretty accurately.

 

Did he not like the girl enough to dance with her? Donghae could say that to her by himself, God knew the boy could be so blunt at times.

 

Did Donghae not want him to leave the table? But, before, the other did not seem to have the trouble of voicing any such thoughts.

 

Could it be that he wanted Hyukjae to stay and dance with him instead? And because the girls were there, Donghae did not say it? But… why would he want that?

 

Why did Hyukjae feel he wanted that too?

 

The music started to slow down into something romantic and Hyukjae realized he just did not have the mental to dance with the others anymore. It was hard to get off the dance floor; he did not even realize there were several girls surrounding him until that time.

 

Heading back to the table, Hyukjae saw that Donghae was not there. He did not see him anywhere on the dance floor either and when he ran to check outside, he couldn’t find the other in the lobby as well.

 

The clock on the wall told him that it was already 9:40p.m. Simultaneously, Hyukjae felt uncaring toward what time it was, his head only filled with looking for Donghae. The most logical place to find his friend was his home, and that was where he went. It was either luck, or just that he knew Donghae so well, that he got right the first try.

 

His eyes, his eyes,

Make the star look like they’re not shining.

 

Hyukjae found Donghae sitting on the sidewalk outside his house, his suit gone and he had a sweater on instead. Hyukjae thought he must have been home for quite some time.

 

His hair, his hair,

Falls perfectly without his trying.

He’s so beautiful, and I tell him every day.

 

He let himself lingered, taking his time getting closer as he listened and watched Donghae played his guitar. 

 

I know, I know,

When I compliment him he won’t believe me,

It’s so, it’s so sad to think that he doesn’t see what I see,

 

Hyukjae knew Donghae had always loved Bruno Mars, didn’t really think he would start practising the quite old song. Finally sitting down next to his best friend – yup, Haek was his best friend, must remember that – Hyukjae let himself lost to the soft singing, staring at Donghae with his chin on his palm. He felt happy enough just being there with him.

 

But every time he asks me do I look okay, I say…

 

When Donghae eventually noticed he was there and staring back at him, Hyukjae thought he would stop singing right there and was about to ask him to go on when he did, with all the while looking right into Hyukjae’s eyes.

 

When I see your face,

There’s not a thing that I would change,

Cause you’re amazing,

Just the way you are.

 

Hyukjae felt his own heart beating steadfastly more erratic. He could not even look away, not sure if he was more captivated by the eyes filled with emotions, the lips that carved a smile for him, or the words being sang as if directed solely to him.

 

And when you smile,

The whole world stops and stares for a while,

Cause boy you’re amazing,

 

After giving the strings one last slow strum, Donghae’s hand, which Hyukjae was very much familiar with, found Hyukjae’s and their fingers intertwined so easily it was obnoxious how Hyukjae did not realized it before; with it being his feelings.

 

Just the way you are…

 

He did not think he was too hasty when Hyukjae leaned forward and let his lips closed over Donghae’s. Being reciprocated meant he was right. As he felt his lips moved so slick against Donghae’s, feeling how plump and soft those lips were, Hyukjae figured out why Donghae saw no changes on him.

 

It was the same reason why his parents did not, too.

 

They accepted Hyukjae as he was. They loved him as he was.

 

Donghae loved him just the way he was.

 

“You couldn’t just say you like me? You had me paying some witch for nothing?”

 

“I’ve been saying from the start that you didn’t have to, bastard!”

 

While they were both laughing right there on the curb, and the clock 10, the said witch chuckled as well, mumbling about ‘stingy and stupid kids’ as she walked away, claiming her work done. 

 

 

Now, the whole thing was really getting old.

 

Once again, the entire school were standing stock still, staring at him and Donghae. He thought the whole thing was done last night, but it seemed like it hadn’t. He needed to go find that witch again.

 

“It’s about damn time!” someone shouted, followed by thundering claps.

 

“Congratulation!”

 

Hyukjae saw Hyoyeon winking at him.

 

Apparently, everyone saw how Donghae’s hand was in his.

 

There were a few ‘ you’ being thrown at him as well, a couple of ‘he’s ugly’ and ‘Donghae could have done better’ in the midst.

 

Looking at his boyfriend, they both shrugged, before making the entire school went silent again with them lip-locking in front of them all.

 

That was the best ‘ you’ Hyukjae could have ever given. The detention later was worth it.


 

Well, okay that took longer than expected to finish. I didn't even feel I gave it my all; creativity has not been my friend this week. Sorru if it feels lacking. I felt I could have done better but the longer I drag it out, it would be worse. Hope that's good enough. Thank you for reading. Do leave some comments and criticisms so I know where I'm lacking and what to improve. Imagine that comment box is a box of oreo. Grab it! Thank you! 

 

Trivia: Veritas Se Revēlet means 'Let the truth reveal itself' ^^