Veritas Se Revēlet

The Whole World Stops and Stares For a While

So what happens when people keep saying you look better a certain way? Some say your hair looks better if you let it down, others say its better when you gel it up. Someone say your lips are always dry, or your nose is too wide, or your single eyelid makes you bland. Some say it’s your fashion sense that is wrong.

How to satisfy everyone?

How to make yourself just right for someone to fall in love with you?

Well, get your potion right here!

After drinking this potion, you will find people staring at you. Do not be shocked! This happens so because you will seem so perfect, too perfect, just the right perfect they are looking for! Each and every one will see you differently according to their taste. Nothing is better than looking like how people want you to look, right?

So, what are you waiting for? Grab one now for just 5000₩!

 

“It’s calling for me, Haek!”

 

“No, it’s not,” Donghae said, yawning.

 

Hyukjae almost felt guilty after waking his friend so early, it was only 6:30am after all, just to come to the shop he stumbled upon last night. Well, he stumbled upon the brochure and read it and was hook. It was like watching a home-shopping channel, knowing exactly what to say and how to promote the product according to the customers’ want. Could anyone resist? Was he really the only to be blamed?

 

While there was guilt on one hand, on the other, he really wanted to try his new finding out. He was tired of always being called ugly by the female and male population of his school. It’s not that he cared much but it was starting to affect his pride a little as a charming person *cough* *cough*.

 

It was not helping that his best friend, Lee Donghae, was best known due to his good looks in school, not that Hyukjae was jealous or anything. How could he be jealous anyway when Donghae was almost a saint with him, and too cute to even be mad at? Plus, Donghae stood up for him whenever he heard anyone saying Hyukjae was ugly. Though, Hyukjae said the boy was ‘almost’ a saint because he too called Hyukjae ‘ugly’, just without any spite behind his words. To be honest, Hyukjae only ever felt like laughing whenever Donghae called him any sort of name or hit him in camaraderie. It’s strange how friendship worked…

 

Back to reasoning with himself why he was doing this. It was going to be prom that night and he still did not have a date.

 

Almost-Saint Donghae had refused to take any girl who had come up to him so Hyukjae would not be the only without a date. And damn! That made Hyukjae felt like a prat even when Donghae had said multiple times it was okay. What did Hyukjae even do in his previous life to deserve a friend like him?

 

Donghae leaned on Hyukjae, eyes closed, “I don’t get why we are here.”

 

“To test this out! Who knows, maybe it will work and we can get a date right before the prom.”

 

The boy yawned again, “I don’t care about dates, okay? Let’s find somewhere to sleep before school starts. That’s the better choice.”

 

“But, we need to prove that we are delectable bachelors who can get anyone we want! It’s our last chance, Haek!”

 

“Hnnngggg…” Donghae whined, and Hyukjae caught a glimpse of his pouty lips, face scrunched up, before his arms wound around Hyukjae’s waist as he pressed himself on Hyukjae’s back, seemed to be determined on finding the most comfortable position he could sleep in while standing, “Fine! Go and buy whatever you want quickly! Let me sleep like this.” Hyukjae heard him grumbling about ‘crazy bastard suddenly believing in potion and hocus pocus when he refused so much to watch Finding Dory with me’.

 

Chuckling, he strode forward with no hindrance, pretty much used to being Lee Donghae’s moving pillow, and opened the shop’s door, hearing the tinkling of chime. The shop looked dark and mysterious from the outside, with cauldrons of different sizes on shelves and those too big on the floor. Steering rods made of glass, brass, copper, silver and what seemed like gold shimmered on the display window despite the cobwebs hanging from one end to the other.

 

After coming in, it didn’t seem quite as eerie.

 

The rotten smell Hyukjae had anticipated was absent, for one thing. The floor was made of black and white tiles that had turned yellowish. In the glass counter, there were many sets of apparatus made from different materials. They didn’t seem quite so different from those Hyukjae had used in the school’s laboratory. There were herbs on the shelves behind the counter and those seemed to be the one ridding the shop from any unpleasant smell. In fact, it made him calm, so calm.

 

A wind suddenly wisped in and ruffled Hyukjae’s hair and he turned when the chime tinkled softly once again. No one had opened the door.

 

“Hello.”

 

He whipped around so fast to find an old woman behind the just-seconds-ago empty counter, silently asking Donghae to forgive him if he woke up dizzy.

 

“Don’t have to be so shocked. That expression is so boring,” the woman said dully, rolling her eyes before placing a cup on the counter, “Sit.”

 

Depositing Donghae on one seat, Hyukjae supported his friend’s head while he got on another stool that he dragged closer. Donghae only stirred for two seconds, to place his head more comfortably on Hyukjae’s shoulder. Such a heavy sleeper, aish!

 

Finally taking a real look at the old woman, she really didn’t seem all that haunting or scary. She had a colourful scarf wound around her neck, albeit a bit washed down, the dress she was wearing seemed dusty but still bright. Her hair was gray, some tight in a bun, a few strands framed her face. A few wrinkles littered her face, mostly near her eyes and the corner of her lips. Overall, she looked like anyone’s typical grandmother.

 

“Done staring, young man? Found anything you like?”

 

“What…? Oh no, no!” Hyukjae shook his head, “Sorry, halmeoni.” He scratched his head, feeling sheepish.

 

The old woman poured a thick liquid into the cup, filling up half of it, “It’s fine, I get that a lot. I’m too good not to gawk at,” she shook a bottle over the cup, sprinkling down some glittering powder. She took out a gold stirring rod and Hyukjae listened as it clinked when the woman hit the china with it. She blew on the surface of the liquid once before sliding the cup closer to Hyukjae, “5000₩,” she said, holding her palm out.

 

Hyukjae really did gawk this time, “But… But you didn’t ask what I wanted to get?”

 

The old woman sighed, “You’re here for the 'turn me into a frog' potion so my true love will kiss me better, right?”

 

Hyukjae had never shaken his head so hard. He pushed the cup away, “No, no! I’m here for the… em… The ‘perfection’ potion? I don’t know what it’s called,” he hastened to say, “But the one that will make me look like the perfect person to fall in love with?”

 

“Ah…” the woman looked thoughtful before her face showed boredom. She pushed the china to him again, “The Veritas Se Revēlet Potion. I knew that already. Everyone’s chasing after that potion nowadays that I don’t even have to gather ingredients for other things.”

 

Looking down at the glittering green slushing liquid in the cup, Hyukjae gulped, “This is the one?”

 

“Yes. Pay and I’ll tell you the rules.” He slid the money over. “Good. Now, this potion will only last up to 10pm KST.”

 

“Not London time?”

 

“No. We’re in South Korea so we follow the time here.”

 

“Why 10pm? Why not 12am?”

 

“Because I’m old and I said so. Now zip it or I’ll smear spiced on your mouth.”

 

Hyukjae clamped his mouth shut, even miming zipping up his lips.

 

“It will last until 10pm only and before the clock strikes 10, you have to find one person you really want to impress. Only one. After you decided, your face will permanently look the way that one person sees you by 10pm. It’s not reversible, and no refund if you don’t like how you will look like.”

 

Hyukjae thought it would be impossible to hate how he looked like if the person he was with loved it, but, he didn’t comment on it. He did have one doubt, though…

 

“What if I don’t choose anyone?”

 

“Oh dear then you will remain as your ugly self.”

 

Hyukjae gasped, before he pouted, “How come you’re so mean, halmeoni?”

 

“Oh please! Don’t have to seem so insulted. If you don’t think you’re ugly, you wouldn’t be here. I’m just voicing your insecurities.”

 

Before Hyukjae could even think of replying, Donghae suddenly sat up.

 

With eyes still shut, his friend said, “Hyukkie is not ugly! He’s beautiful!”

 

They watched as the boy’s head nearly collided with the counter, Hyukjae’s hand barely fast enough to cushion it. The woman offered a square pillow to replace but he dismissed it, not wanting to jostle Donghae more. The delirious moment might have been due to that.

 

“Anyway, back to business,” the woman grabbed hold of Hyukjae’s free hand and helped him wrap it around the cup, “Drink. But, don’t take things too lightly. Don’t just use your eyes to see, don’t listen without any pondering. And, sometimes, you don’t have to look too far to find the right one.”

 

Slightly nervous, and doubting whether it would really work, Hyukjae brought the cup to his lips and took the first sip. Just like the shop, the look deceived the actual taste. It was sweet, with just a tinge of spice at the end. It’s a little sour at the aftertaste, but, overall, not so bad. Hyukjae finished it in seconds.

 

He felt a little tingly, and he thought he saw some sparks at the corner of his eyes but that might be just him. He blinked a couple times before his eyes cleared and he could see the old woman again, “How do I look now, halmeoni? Better?”

 

“Have I ever said you look bad?”

 

“But you called me… Fine,” he turned towards Donghae and lightly shook the boy’s shoulder with his free hand, “Haek. Quick, wake up and tell me what you see!” When that didn’t work, he shook harder, a lot harder. Hyukjae groaned. He lifted the heavy head, holding it up between his palms, “Lee Donghaek!”

 

A hand came up and hit his cheek, “Aish! So loud,” Donghae whined, hand rubbing his eyes.

 

Hyukjae chuckled, “At least it wakes you up, you sleepyhead. Now look at me and tell me my 5000₩ is worth it.” Hyukjae straightened his school blazer and sat a little straighter. He turned his head to the side slightly, knowing the best angle for him to look good. According to the description of the potion, though, Donghae would find him attractive regardless.

 

Donghae seemed to scrutinize him, looking him over from the bottom up with his eyebrow raised and pursed lips. He jumped off his chair and regarded Hyukjae seriously. Then, he whined in the most childish way he could probably master, face scrunched up like he was about to cry and fists balled up, “You look the same! Completely the same! Waking up from my bed for this is not worth it! Ugh!” Hyukjae heard him grumbling about ‘bastard wants to have a date so badly that I’m losing sleep for him like for ’s sake-‘ as his friend walked out of the shop, slamming his feet like a pampered child who didn’t get his way.

 

Hyukjae looked at the old woman once again, perplexed.

 

”He’s sleepy,” was the only explanantion she had.

 

Hyukjae missed the knowing smile the old woman had as she watched he jogged to catch up with Donghae.

 


 

So apparently this is not going to be a one shot. I knew it.... I’m aiming for two shots for now. Sorry to those waiting for the updates of my other stories. I couldn’t help myself sigh...... Hope you like this, though. Cookies in the comment box below.