Hourglass

Hourglass

*something I rushed out really late at night, please excuse the errors TvT

 

Hourglass

Daehyun/Youngjae

 

 

The city lights spill over the windscreen of Daehyun's car, late night traffic whooshing past as everyone rushes home. Leftover rain drips down the windows as an eleven o'clock playlist flutters from the radio. Daehyun flexes his fingers over the steering wheel as he unwinds into the soft song playing, one he vaguely recalls hearing at the café last week.

He smiles at the memory of Youngjae having winced at his hot chocolate, sticking out his tongue with a frown. Their daughter, Jungyeon, sat in his lap while he fed her some of his strawberry shortcake. Daehyun had leaned over to brush Youngjae's hair out of his eyes and Jungyeon reached up to do the same.

As he slows down to a stop at a red light, Daehyun glances to the small portrait hanging from the windscreen. Youngjae has told him several times to take it down, saying that it makes him feel vain when he's driving the car alone. Being the husband who never listens, Daehyun kept the picture of Youngjae with Jungyeon in his arms, both looking absolutely beautiful on that windy day. They had a picnic on that Sunday and toddler Jungyeon kept running across the field, Daehyun having to chase her.

Daehyun sighs contentedly, returning his gaze to the road. His left hand grasps at the cotton of his pants, accustomed to Youngjae's hand interlocked with his. Another fifteen minutes, Daehyun thinks, lips quirking. He called Youngjae half an hour ago as he prepared to leave the office, telling his husband to go to bed first.

More tender songs flitter from the radio as Daehyun makes his way home, somehow finding it in him to admire the cityscape he has long familiarised himself with. The neon lights dwindle into tungsten lampposts as Daehyun winds into his neighbourhood. He swiftly parks his car and briskwalks to the front door, quietly unlocking it.

The soundtrack of a cartoon greets Daehyun. The man peeks in and chuckles to find his husband and his daughter sleeping on the couch. Jungyeon is bundled in Youngjae's arms while Youngjae has dozed off, head slanted to rest on the back of the couch.

Of course Youngjae would wait up for him. Jungyeon must have insisted on joining Youngjae and Youngjae gave in, Jungyeon being just as stubborn as her father. Youngjae has met his match for sure.

Daehyun undoes his tie and hangs it up, turning off the television. He paces over and crouches down to kiss his husband on the forehead. He then picks up Jungyeon, soothing her softly as she stirs from her slumber. His daughter is wearing her favourite pink pyjamas with spaceships all over, one she wants to wear almost every night. It's why they have four sets of the same nightwear kept in the drawer.

"Papa?" She blubbers, rubbing her eyes. She snuggles against her father's chest, small hand clasping her father's dress shirt. Daehyun holds her close while he ascends the stairs.

"Mm, Papa's home," Daehyun hums lowly, kissing his daughter on the cheek as he places her onto the bed. "Go to sleep, Yeon."

Jungyeon mumbles incoherently, Daehyun watching in amusement as he tucks her into bed. She struggles to stay awake but her breathing eventually evens out, eyes fluttering shut. Daehyun her head tenderly and chuckles. Their daughter takes after her Daddy so much it's almost funny. Both utterly beautiful, both headstrong, both with a heart too big for their smallness.

Daehyun pulls the blanket up to Jungyeon's chin and leaves her with last one kiss before returning to the living room. He gazes at his sleeping husband with an affectionate smile, reaching down to comb Youngjae's hair back.

It's been six years since they've been married. Ten years since they started dating. Thirteen years since Daehyun fell in love with Youngjae. Yet for some reason, Youngjae looks as if he hasn't aged a day since Daehyun first laid eyes on him.

Playfully, Daehyun slides his arms underneath Youngjae and lifts him up bridal style like he has done with his daughter. Youngjae immediately squirms, cheek pressed against Daehyun's chest. He eventually pries open his eyes, blearily looking around.

"Daehyun," Youngjae mumbles, looking around to find his bearings. "When did you get home?" He tries to get off but Daehyun only holds him closer.

"Just a while ago. I told you not to wait up for me," Daehyun says gently, halting in his steps as he smiles down at Youngjae.

"Jungyeon?"

"I've already put her in bed."

"Let me down," Youngjae yawns. "I'm not a princess."

"You are my princess," Daehyun cheekily returns, Youngjae nudging him with a squint.

"Don't move. I want to carry you."

Melting into a tender smile, Youngjae lets out a small scoff. "Are you trying to relive our wedding day?" He teases, slumber still trickling from his soft voice.

"Maybe," Daehyun laughs. He can still recall the what happened on their wedding day. After they had exchanged vows and kissed, Daehyun had spontaneously swooped Youngjae into his arms. He then dashed out of the wedding hall, embarrassing the poor groom who squeaked to be put down.

"You used to be so reckless and full of energy," Youngjae laughs, leaning into Daehyun's chest. Nostalgia clouds his mirthful eyes.

"You're speaking as if I'm really old," Daehyun returns and feigns a pout.

"No, just more mature than before," Youngjae exhales. A tinge of pride drips from his voice.

"It'd be difficult for you to take care of two kids at once. I'm considerate," Daehyun fills in with mischief. "Shall we ascend the stairs, your highness? My arms are getting tired."

"Are you saying I'm heavy?" Youngjae pretends to take offense, narrowing his eyes.

Daehyun lets out a rich laugh. "Of course not. It's your husband who hasn't been exercising." He lifts Youngjae up to get a better grip on the shorter man and walks up the stairs.

"This really does remind me of our wedding day," Daehyun hums. "After we kissed, I just wanted to take you away with me. I wanted to start our married life together right then and there."

"So you thought the best course of action was to pick me up and run down the aisle out the church hall, past hundreds of guests?" Youngjae gently pinches Daehyun's cheek.

"I did. I still remember how shocked your mother looked," Daehyun guffaws.

"After you brought me into the car, you kissed me so hard I almost suffocated." Youngjae twines his arms around Daehyun's shoulder, nestling against his husband.

"And we had to awkwardly go back because there was still the wedding reception."

"I was so embarrassed," Youngjae sweetly chortles. "My hair was in a mess and people thought we had..."

"That was the original intention." Daehyun smiles. He stops in his footsteps and leans down to steal a kiss from Youngjae. Surprisingly, Youngjae deepens the kiss instead of hitting him for his remark.

"Maybe we should have." Youngjae buries his head into Daehyun's neck, the man parting his lips in shock at Youngjae's answer. He simmers into a hearty laugh and Youngjae soon follows along, giggling into Daehyun's shoulder.

"The you from six years ago would have slapped me for what I said, not agree with me," Daehyun whispers in amusement.

"That's because the me then got to see you often, so he didn't miss you as much as I do now." Youngjae's soft words are followed by a short silence, Youngjae's long lashes batting against Daehyun's skin.

"You miss me?" Daehyun smiles, speaking in a low tone. "Is it because I've been doing overtime?"

"I don't miss you. Jungyeon does."

"You're back to being the you from six years ago," Daehyun chuckle, brushing his nose over Youngjae's forehead. "I'm sorry I've been coming back late. This new project..."

Youngjae leans forward and seals their lips. "I know. You shouldn't be sorry. You work hard for our family, and I'm really thankful for that," he whispers. He tilts his head with a small smile. "I still miss you, anyway."

Daehyun does not reply, delving into Youngjae's eyes. The love ensconced within Youngjae's irises are mesmerising and makes Daehyun's heart skip a beat. It's the one thing that has not changed despite Youngjae's once brash demeanour easing over the years.

"I miss you too," Daehyun says. "I promise, once this project is done, I'll take a few off days and spend it with you and Jungyeon, okay?"

"You should use that time to take a rest," Youngjae chides.

"You guys are my rest." Daehyun holds Youngjae tight and walks into their room, settling Youngjae down carefully. He quickly changes out of his work clothes into a comfortable shirt and shorts. Youngjae shifts in to check on Jungyeon, pressing a kiss to his daughter's temple.

"I mean it when I say Jungyeon misses you too," Youngjae hums as he turns over to face his husband.

"I know. I miss her too," Daehyun sighs. He reaches over Youngjae to thumb Jungyeon's cheek. "She's growing to look more like you."

"What? That's not good," Youngjae frets, igniting a laugh in Daehyun.

"Why not? You are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I'd be glad if our daughter looks like you." Daehyun cups Youngjae's cheek and softly kisses his husband. He nips at Youngjae's lips and Youngjae instinctively twines his arms around Daehyun's neck, reciprocating slowly.

"On second thought," Daehyun breathes as they part, "it is a bad thing. Lots of boys will like her, just like how many boys liked you."

"As long as she can find someone like her Papa, I think she'll be fine." Youngjae lies down, shifting his sleeping daughter closer. "Let's sleep. You must be tired."

Streams of moonlight slip in through the fluttering curtains. They fall upon Youngjae and Jungyeon like a warm blanket.

"Okay. Goodnight, Youngjae." Daehyun wraps an arm around Youngjae's hips and smiles into his husband's hair. "I love you," he whispers.

Youngjae turns around and chastely kisses Daehyun's cheek. "I love you too."