Study Club

Study Club

Kyungsoo idly tapped against his desk, waiting patiently for people that he knew would never come.

 

No one ever did, and Kyungsoo was honestly fine with that. He had done everything in his power to make sure nobody would come. He didn’t tell anybody about the club, and stapled the posters in the corner of the board, hidden under the many other clubs and councils.

 

“Study Club!”

 

A high school student in his final year, Kyungsoo had everything he needed to graduate. All the credits necessary, over 100 hours of community service, and still he had no clue how he missed the last requirement.

 

“To graduate, the student must have managed a club or council in their time at high school.” Kyungsoo said, sighing.

 

This was why he was alone in a room at school from 3:30 - 5:00 every Tuesday.

 

Turns out to manage a club, a lot of things are required other than a president and a name.

 

You need members (which Kyungsoo had just made up)

 

You need a room (Kyungsoo had begged a janitor to open up a room for him)

 

You need posters on the clubs board (which Kyungsoo had hidden)

 

You need to attend every meeting for its duration, and meetings must be at least an hour and 30 minutes long. And so while his parents believed he was busy at Soccer Club, he was actually sitting alone in a classroom waiting for people who he knew wouldn’t come.

 

He couldn’t even study because he already did his work in class, and his average was a 98 in his classes. Besides, he preferred to study at home where all his notes and his computer were. All he had that day was his english book and a pencil case, and there was no way he would be able to focus on reading when the club in the class across from him was Aerobics Club.

 

So every Tuesday he had endured sitting at a desk alone doing nothing while hearing the occasional loud grunt and encouraging cheers from the class across from him.

 

Not his ideal after school activity, but he did it because he had to, and Kyungsoo believed that doing unpleasant things was the first step to leading a better life.

 

This was the case when Kim Jongin opened the door, dressed in all black, his hair swept neatly to the side.

 

He leaned against the doorframe, smirking cockily. “This is where the Study Club is, right?” He asked, and Kyungsoo had no choice but to nod. He was the president after all.

 

“Great turnout.” Jongin observed, making his way towards Kyungsoo’s desk. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the comment. There was no way Kim Jongin just casually wanted to attend the Study Club for an hour and a half. He knew Kyungsoo only made the club to fill his requirement, he also knew that the only person in the club would be Kyungsoo. So why was he there?

 

Before Kyungsoo had the chance to consider this question, Jongin was at his desk, slamming a chair in front of him, the sound resounding throughout the empty classroom. Jongin slowly sat down in the chair, and leaned forward, his elbows comfortably resting on Kyungsoo’s desk. Said man sat back in his chair, painfully aware of Jongin’s overpowering cologne.

 

“So… We gonna study or what?” Jongin asked, and then reached into his pocket for a lollipop, pulling it out and unwrapping it. He winked slyly at Kyungsoo before popping the candy into his mouth.

 

Kyungsoo could only groan, holding his head in his hands. Yes, he would have to endure this inevitably unpleasant    thing before his life could get better.

 

“Why are you here Jongin?” Kyungsoo asked, although it was less of a question and more of a request to leave.

 

Jongin pulled the red lollipop out, and raised his hands above his head in mock fear. “Woah, woah, I’m just here to study Kyungsoo.” He said, and Kyungsoo scoffed disbelievingly.

 

“Right.” Because obviously student delinquent and overall “cool guy” Kim Jongin wanted to study with loner Do Kyungsoo.

 

“Alright. So what do you want to study?” Kyungsoo asked, accepting that Jongin wasn’t going to go anywhere until he got what he wanted. Which in this case, Kyungsoo knew there was no way it could actually be studying. Kim Jongin never studied.

 

“You.” Jongin smoothly replied, and Kyungsoo rolled his eyes for the second time that day. He didn’t have time for this. Well, actually he did have time, in fact up until 5:00 he had absolutely nothing to do.

 

Kyungsoo briefly considered this option, and then shook his head. What the hell was he thinking? Why should he entertain this idiot? Doing nothing for an hour would be 100x better than spending even a minute in the same room as Jongin. Kim Jongin was the very essence of despicable. He claimed not to care about anything yet clearly paid attention to his appearance and what others thought about him. And what infuriated Kyungsoo the most, what really angered him was that Kim Jongin was a straight-A student. Yet in their four years at high school, Kyungsoo had never seen him study. Not that he was trying to find out anything. No. He didn’t care.

 

Satisfied with this conclusion, Kyungsoo grabbed his backpack, and got up from his chair.

 

Jongin got up also, lollipop in hand.

 

“Where are you going?” He asked, and Kyungsoo ignored him, making his way around his desk to the door.

 

However a hand on his arm stopped him.

 

“I said, where are you going?” Jongin repeated, and for a moment Kyungsoo was almost afraid. Kim Jongin had been known to beat up a few people, and for all his overpriced cologne, and fake smugness, he could hold up a fight and Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if he could say the same.

 

“Washroom.” Kyungsoo hastily replied, wanting to get out of the situation as fast as possible.

 

“With your bag?” Jongin questioned, his eyebrow raised and a small smile dancing on his lips.

 

Kyungsoo swallowed nervously, however he took a deep breath. Yes, dealing with unpleasant things will lead to a better life. But wouldn’t avoiding these unpleasant things be altogether better?

 

Regardless of the philosophy behind it, Kyungsoo knew that if he stayed any longer, things would not turn out well for him.

 

“Yeah. I piss with my bag. Got a problem?” Kyungsoo bit back, staring Jongin in the eyes. He wasn’t sure where this newfound confidence came from, but he didn’t shy away from it. Something about Kim Jongin’s smug expression, his black leather coat, his styled hair and impeccable grades made Kyungsoo want to vomit and yell at the same time. Kim Jongin disgusted him. And he wasn’t about to give in.

 

Kyungsoo tugged his arm away, and Jongin’s hand fell to the side. Not wanting to look back, Kyungsoo speed walked out of the classroom and into the hallway, where his walk became a run.

 

Jongin stood there, leaning against the desk, eyes following Kyungsoo as he left the classroom. He smirked.

 

 


thanks for reading!! 

more chapters to come!