Epilogue

Dauntless Soul; Faithful Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The chirping of birds outside his quarters are like a melody that greets him every morning. Donghyuk stretches his arms and groans at the slight soreness he feels on his upper limbs, but pays no more attention to it when he hears the sound of steel pots being prepared by innkeeper Gwang outside.

 

Grabbing a clean cloth and a new hanbok from his closet, he goes out of his room to wash his face at the back of the inn. The two adolescent girls from next door are peeking at him from over the wall again, grinning from ear to ear. He smiles at them and shakes his head when they giggle as soon as he starts washing his face and hair.

 

Breakfast is already laid in the usual table. He thanks innkeeper Gwang and asks her to join him, but she waves off his invitation and rambles about food to cook and linens to wash. Donghyuk eats quickly, making sure he doesn’t waste food, then goes to do his first duty of the day: buying food ingredients and other supplies from the market. It used to be innkeeper Gwang’s chore but Donghyuk is more skillful in haggling and charming the merchants.

 

Adjusting his knapsack on his shoulder, he takes a deep breath to take in the morning air of the Southwestern province.

 

It’s another new day to live.


 

* * *


 

A full year has already passed since Donghyuk left his brother’s side.

 

He did go to the West to see if he could be an apprentice. A scholar specializing in Confucian studies takes interest in him, and he had spent a couple of months learning at the school the scholar teaches at.

 

Yet he had found that way of life too monotonous. His body is too deeply familiar with unpredictability to enjoy such a very peaceful way of living, so he bid his farewells to the scholar and left. A week later, he rented a place at an inn in the Southwest of Joseon, ended up helping the widowed innkeeper when her son fled the next day, and had been working there ever since.

 

It’s not because the events were convenient. Helping out that first day made Donghyuk realize he feels more alive when he’s doing something in service to other people. It seems serving others is truly a nature he’s been born with and fortunately, Mrs. Gwang is more than happy to take him in. The aspect of unpredictability his body craves comes in the form of the different kinds of people who go to the inn to either sleep for a night or just to eat. It’s nice to be able to observe human interactions without danger looming in the corners, and conversing with them gives a different dynamic each time. Often times, guests are also more than happy to share stories of their travels. Donghyuk always looks forward to those.

 

If he has to evaluate himself, Donghyuk would say he’s doing pretty well. He had some episodes where he’s dying to return to the palace and beg the queen to take him back, but his brother’s final order keeps him in focus most of the time.

 

“You’re quite distracted today.” Mrs. Gwang quips as they place banchan into numerous small bowls. It’s lunchtime so the place is packed with people.

 

“Just reminiscing for a bit. I’m sorry.” he offers the old woman an apologetic smile.

 

“As long as your work stays excellent, there’s no offense.” Mrs. Gwang just smirks. “I thought you were thinking of something else. A certain regular customer, for example.”

 

A blush creeps into his cheeks. Ignoring the teasing hint of the innkeeper's tone, he takes the first tray of banchan and heads out towards the dining area.

 

The afternoon is slow after that. There’s not much traveling men and women who wants to check-in, so he’s given permission to read a book at the counter. Work picks up at 6 pm and the inn is full of people once again.

 

The night receptionist takes over the lobby so he goes to help at the dining area. He waits on tables, greeting new customers and laughing at the regular guests who jokes around with him. He’s so focused on his job that he gasps when Mrs. Gwang gently elbows him on the side while holding a plate of jokbal.

 

“He isn’t late today.” the old lady simply says, pointing with a pout of her lips to a table near the back of the hall.

 

There’s only one man waiting there. Donghyuk shifts his gaze away, clearing his throat at himself, before making his way towards the table.

 

“Hey.” he smiles. “The usual?”

 

Junhwe nods and smiles back.


 

* * *


 

The night sky is still beautiful despite the moon being covered by several night clouds. Stars are littered at the expanse of it.

 

He and Junhwe sit at the back porch of the inn. Technically, he isn’t supposed to bring a guest there but Mrs. Gwang insisted he take his… friend there, whenever he visits. “You two look like you have tons to talk about!” the innkeeper had told him.

 

It is true. Whenever Junhwe visits, he always has a lot to say about the things that are happening in his side. Whether it’s about Jinhwan, Hanbin, and even some light palace affairs that he thinks are amusing, Junhwe never fails to tell him. In turn, Donghyuk talks about how he’s been doing everyday, sharing to the general the stories he hear from travelers if there’s any.

 

Donghyuk enjoys their talks very much. He looks forward to Junhwe’s visits the most.

 

It wasn’t just Junhwe at first. Three months after he started working at the inn, Yunhyeong, Chanwoo and Junhwe suddenly showed up. They appear to be surprised to see him there but the two retainers’ acting isn’t polished enough for Donghyuk to be tricked. He knows they tracked him down there, or at least had been keeping an eye on him and when they assessed he’s settled at the inn, they decided to make contact.

 

Yunhyeong didn’t take long to confirm it. “The general means no trouble. As usual, he just wants to see for himself that you are well.”, he had said.

 

Since then, the visits occur every two weeks. For two months, Yunhyeong and Chanwoo tagged along, then it’s just Junhwe after that. The general said it’s only because the two retainers ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter