Dauntless Soul; Faithful Heart

Dauntless Soul; Faithful Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Death is to be dreaded. Life is to be celebrated. That is how a normal person would think. Death is the end point therefore people would fear it; live their lives to the fullest so they won’t have regrets.

 

But for Donghyuk, death is a companion. A looming shadow that stays with him, waiting. He doesn’t mind it. For him, death is a natural occurrence.

 

Someone once told him it’s both his weakness and strength. He only agrees with the latter.

 

He steps into the palace grounds with silent awe, matching his pace with his master’s palanquin. He lets his eyes take in the sophisticated details of the architecture and the lavish embroidery in the drapings. Everything is beautiful.

 

It’s not bad, Donghyuk decides. It’s not bad to die in a place as gloriously beautiful as the imperial palace. His master will surely scold him if he’s aware of his thoughts, though.

 

The tension is oozing when his beloved master’s palanquin was just placed down in front of the inner palace’s receiving hall. It increased in an almost suffocating air when his master finally reveals himself.

 

“What a welcoming atmosphere.” His master jokes as he places a hand on his waiting palm. Donghyuk smiles a bit then bows down, making move to the smaller male up to the hall meant for the new king’s consort candidates. He makes eye contact to the waiting chamberlain, letting him see the clan insignia on his outer robes.

 

“The Imperial Palace welcomes Lord Jinhwan, 2nd son of the Eastern Kim Clan!”

 

All eyes are immediately on the two of them, on his master, as they walk to meet the rest of the bridal candidates and their retinues. He feels horrified disbelief from their gazes. What is the East Kim’s exiled son doing here, they must be wondering. Whispers are muffled behind silk sleeves and embroidered fans, but Donghyuk’s trained ears can hear most of them. Insults are spouted; scrutiny and gossip blurted. They are scandalized but also threatened.

 

The murmurings only stopped when the head chamberlain announces the arrival of their newly crowned ruler. Each person automatically positions themselves according to social status. It’s no surprise his master is placed at the very end of the line despite being technically higher in rank than half of the candidates.

 

They bow but Donghyuk secretly keeps an eye on the front, taking advantage of his position behind Jinhwan to observe the royal personnel of King Hanbin. Most of his ministers are new. It’ll be quite difficult to assess which ones can be an ally.

 

He averts his gaze down when the king starts walking down the prepared path to greet and take a look at each candidate. Yet basing on the emperor’s walking pace, it’s obvious the royal isn’t interested.

 

King Hanbin walks without a pause, barely stopping at each family representative. He only fully stops when he’s already halfway through the chosen 26 daughters and sons of Joseon’s elite families, walking even faster a moment later. The king has finally found the one he’s looking for.

 

Donghyuk keeps a steely gaze at the hem of his master’s robe as the king stands in front of Jinhwan. The tension around immediately spikes.

 

“You are here.” King Hanbin speaks. Each word spills of relief and happiness.

 

Jinhwan bows lower. “I am, your majesty.”

 

His master’s voice spills of the same.

 

The tensions increase even more. Eyes are on his master again, this time curses and wishes of death are thrown. Suffocating is an understatement.

 

It only lessens a bit when a man in military armor reminds the king of a security meeting he needs to attend. Donghyuk takes a glance and sees the man looking back at him; cold dark eyes unwavering as if he knew the observance he’s been doing all along. It’s General Koo Junhwe.

 

Donghyuk can only clench his fists and tighten his jaw as the royal entourage finally moves to leave. It’s just the first day but his master is already locked down as the primary enemy, and he had inadvertently gathered suspicion on himself from the one person he shouldn’t have alerted.

 

He can literally feel death tighten its grip on his soul. He doesn’t care but when it also takes a hold onto his master’s, that’s when he starts to fear. He doesn’t mind dying along the way, but not his master. No.

 

Steel yourself, he scolds in his head. This is just the beginning. His beloved master will live and win in the end. He’ll make sure of it.

 

 

* * *

 

 

His source of light in the dark - that is how Donghyuk sees his master.

 

It was a rainy afternoon in autumn when he first met Jinhwan. He can still remember every detail as if the memory is a play sequence he’d watched hundreds of times. The hard bamboo of the cage intricately put together so he wouldn’t be able to escape, the ominous caws of crows at a tree branch as they wait for him to die, and the dried blood seeping from underneath the shackles around his ankles and wrists.

 

Jinhwan came when he had stopped trying to catch rain drops into his mouth so he could drink, resigning himself to death. He remembers letting his eyes droop as a small palanquin entourage comes into view. The next thing he knows, the rain drops have stopped spilling onto his tired and injured body, and his cage was opened.

 

“I’ve found you.” Jinhwan had told him when he opened his eyes again. His master had that gentle smile on his face as he held a parasol over his face, not minding that he’s getting wet himself. He remembers servants being ordered to take out his shackles and carry him out of the cage. He remembers being placed inside the palanquin with Jinhwan even though status dictates such an action is blasphemous. When he asked Jinhwan why and who he is, his master’s answer was brief.

 

He remembers how tightly Jinhwan had held his hand, not minding the soot and dirt in his fingers, masking the mixture of hope and despair in his voice with a bright smile.

 

“I’m Jinhwan, second son of Kim Jungsu of the Eastern Kim clan. From now on, you will be with me.”

 

They are half-brothers. While Jinhwan was recognized as a legitimate son, Donghyuk was raised in the shadows of society. While Jinhwan studies the edicts of Confucius and learns the gayageum, Donghyuk was taught how to spy and seduce. Jinhwan had a family, while Donghyuk had nothing except a crumpled letter from his dead gisaeng mother asking for forgiveness.

 

But they were both thrown away. Donghyuk, for refusing to kill and be used. Jinhwan, for refusing to be a chess piece in The Great Game. They only had each other and though Jinhwan didn’t want to make him a servant, Donghyuk insisted on the role. He wants to be useful for his older half-brother who showed him compassion and made him feel how it’s like to have a family.

 

And now his insistence to be of service is paying off. Years of learning the ins and outs of the intricate webs of The Game allow him to assess as accurately as he could. And no matter how much he despises his early years of being trained to be a tool of the shadows, such skills add to his master’s advantage.

 

But only to a certain degree. The horizon is looking as grim as ever, especially now that the new king had shown favor for his master.

 

“Donghyuk-ah?”

 

He places the lid back on top of the dolsot again, covering a dead rat swimming in the rib soup that is supposed to be his master’s lunch. Showing a smile, he faces his master and discreetly sets aside the dolsot away from the other dishes.

 

“You must be hungry after your lessons, master. Please sit down and eat.”

 

He notices how Jinhwan glances over the dishes, his eyes pausing for a moment at the dolsot he separated, before smiling and telling him to eat with him. Jinhwan doesn’t mention about the dolsot and instead, told him about doing better than most of the candidates during the manner and etiquette lessons they had.

 

“You should have seen their faces. They must have believed the rumors of me being dimwitted.”

 

A rumor that was started years ago by his master’s own kin, by their own kin, meant to justify sending Jinhwan out in the rundown outskirt villa of the Eastern Kim clan.

 

“Then hyungnim should continue to prove them wrong.” he says with a smile, bowing down to thank for the food before taking hold of his chopsticks. “But please do not show all your cards yet. We need to be careful.”

 

His master nods and then places a big piece of meat on his rice bowl. “And my dongsaeng shouldn’t do anything risky. I am grateful for your efforts to gather information, but I don’t want you getting yourself in danger.”

 

He understands, and he tells his master so.

 

But that doesn’t mean he’ll stop. The name of the servant who placed the rat in his master’s food, the clan and the candidate to whom the servant serves, the allies they have. He’ll make sure to find out everything so they would think twice before trying to harm his master again.


 

* * *


 

The 3rd daughter of the Northern Park clan pleads to withdraw from the selections a week later, citing sickness as the reason. That isn’t true, of course. It’s a combination of an uncovered secret and a well-placed blackmail.

 

“Lady Ara wasn’t sick the last time I saw her, which was 2 days ago.” Jinhwan comments as they watch the lady’s palanquin leave the inner palace premises.

 

Donghyuk just nods and smiles. He can feel his master giving him a knowing look, concern and worry obvious but not spoken for Jinhwan also knows his actions are necessary.

 

One enemy down. A lot more to go.

 

But as necessary as his actions were, so is the swiftness in which he’s found out. Donghyuk isn’t surprised to find himself tossed into a records rooms one night, caught by the one person he knows he’ll clash with sooner or later.

 

The records room is very dark. He hears the sound of a matchstick and then a small fire blooms from the candle lamp near the door. Looking up from the floor, he sees General Koo Junhwe stand tall in front of it, blocking the exit as if preventing him from escaping.

 

“You seem to be busy these past few nights.” the general’s dark eyes are as icy as ever, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. “Lady Park who just left yesterday, it’s your doing isn’t it?”

 

He sighs, moving to sit on his knees and bow his head in respect to the person of higher status.

 

Donghyuk knows the young general of the new king, of how he won battles in king Hanbin’s name. General Koo Junhwe is known for his unmatched sword skill and battle tactics. He is also known for being fiercely loyal to their new ruler, of doing anything and everything for his king.

 

It seems that also entails seeing through the affairs of the Royal Consort selections.

 

“It’s not me who slept with a merchant and aborted a child.” he answers calmly. “It’s not me who chose to keep it a secret and fool the king of her purity.”

 

“But it is you who found out that secret and had given it to the Park clan’s other rival, the Northern Lee’s.” General Koo’s tone is as icy as his gaze. “Is it because Lady Park had planted rats and bugs in your master’s food?”

 

Donghyuk stays silent, refusing to give the other the satisfaction by not affirming what he already knew.

 

The silence stretches more until he hears a heavy sigh. He peeks to see the general lean down, offering a hand to him in a silent permission for him to stand up. Donghyuk ignores the hand and stands up on his own, lowering his gaze again.

 

“So even you and your master had chosen to play The Game.”

 

He clenches his fists. “Playing it is necessary for my master to survive.”

 

“Even though you can trust the King to ensure your master’s safety?”

 

“A king’s reach can only stretch so much in a complex web.”

 

Tension rises from the air between them. Donghyuk knows the general wants to argue but won’t push on it. After all, he had only said the truth. General Junhwe is fully aware of how deadly the court machinations could be.

 

“You have played well then, for Sir Jinhwan. However, I have to warn you.”

 

Donghyuk tries not to appear stiff as the taller man steps into his personal space. The general isn’t touching him but his cold gaze makes him feel like a bruising grip is on his skin. A warning indeed.

 

“Don’t meddle too much. You are walking on a dangerously thin layer of ice, and one mistake might lead to harming both your master and His Majesty himself.”

 

The general leans down to whisper icily on his ear. “You aren’t as silent and invisible as you think, Donghyuk. I can’t save you next time.”

 

Donghyuk gasps at that as a chill travels down his spine. He looks up, determined to ask the other man where he went wrong in covering his tracks, but the general is already at the door.

 

Junhwe meets his stare, gives him one final warning through his eyes, before blowing the candle fire off and leaving him in the darkness of the room.


 

* * *


 

“Lady Chaerin of the Northern Lee clan sent me a letter.” Jinhwan tells him during his afternoon tea, two nights after his encounter with General Koo, handing him a letter scroll tied with a pink ribbon. “She’s inviting me to a tea party she’s hosting. It will be tomorrow.”

 

Donghyuk reads the words carefully. The insignia of the Lee clan is indeed there so there is no way it is fake. He thinks for a moment, wondering if the sudden invitation is something Junhwe had orchestrated to cover up his tracks, or if it is simply an honest invitation for his master.

 

“Do you want to go, hyungnim?” he asks. Jinhwan sips from his tea cup.

 

“I should, shouldn’t I? Not attending would only taint my image more.”

 

But attending would also mean his master is submitting himself to the Lee’s - who has a much higher status in the court than his estranged master. Worse, an assassination attempt could very well be planned during it.

 

He startles a bit when he feels something press on his lips. Jinhwan is giving him sugar candy, an amused smile on his face.

 

“Don’t think too much into it. Lady Chaerin seems nice. I’ll decide for myself if she is true to what she shows.”

 

Donghyuk parts his lips to accept the candy, knowing that Jinhwan wants him to stop delving more into bleak possibilities. He indulges his master and lets himself lighten up. After all, Jinhwan has instincts that can be trusted. When he says a person is nice, there is a high chance that it will turn out true.

 

But it doesn’t mean Donghyuk will just leave it at that. Aside from Lady Lee, there are still other candidates who will be attending.

 

There are 11 other people attending; roughly half of the total number of candidates in the inner palace. The politics is becoming more complex just from the number alone and the identities of the invited candidates just fuels it.

 

And so the next day, he finds himself accompanying Jinhwan to Lady Lee’s apartments. Like the rest of the personal aides, he stands a distance behind his master, giving him enough privacy but not too far away so he could immediately approach him if he needs his service. Lady Lee speaks, thanking each one of the people she invited and says the purpose of the tea party is to foster camaraderie among the candidates while enjoying themselves.

 

If the Queen Mother of the King is still alive, she should be the one hosting such events. The fact that Lady Lee has taken it upon herself to do the task meant she’s installing herself as the most probable one to be chosen as the Imperial Consort. The ones she invited are either those she wishes to have an alliance with, or those she thinks might pose a threat.

 

As for the other people attending, they’re all eyeing his master as if he doesn’t belong there. An aide near him even mocks his master’s way of speaking behind a fan, to which he sends a cold smile to make her stop. However, Jinhwan sits dignified and elegant among the ill stares. With the way his master carries himself, the others can only seethe inwardly for failing to break him under societal pressure.

 

Shortly, one of the inner palace eunuchs announces that the tea is ready. The eunuch leads a line of maids bringing trays of freshly brewed tea and sweets. Donghyuk watches with keen eyes as he kneels down to prepare his master’s tea, taking note of every detail he could see and sense from the tray given to them.

 

“To our friendship and for the glory of or King!” Lady Chaerin says before gesturing for everyone to take a sip.

 

He lowers his gaze as Jinhwan takes a sip from his cup. There are remarks spoken by some ladies, complementing the pleasant taste of the tea and asking where the leaves came from.

 

And then there’s a sound of crashing and two bodies falling down the floor.

 

He hears his master gasp, sweat quickly forming on his temples due to the shock. Clasping his master’s arm, he encourages Jinhwan to try to calm down.

 

Screams started to fill the room when the aides of the two unconscious candidates can’t wake them up.

 

Amidst the chaos, Donghyuk pretends to be as shocked and petrified as everyone else. Cold sweat forms at the base of his neck; a sense of dread knocking on him.


 

* * *


 

He stops a whimper from escaping his lips as he’s slammed to a wall. Two arms shoot up towards him to trap him in between; the flame from the candle lamp flickering as if to emphasize the force used. Opening his eyes, he’s met with the same cold pair that warned him nights ago.

 

“I told you not to meddle too much!”

 

The harshness is controlled in Junhwe’s hiss, but it still sends a shiver all the way through Donghyuk’s fingertips.

 

“I only switched out the poison-laced cup that was meant for Jinhwan-hyungnim.”

 

“Then why are Lady Choi and Lady Shin fighting for their lives right now?!”

 

“I don’t know! Lady Choi is my doing, but Lady Shin...” he hisses, teeth gritting.

 

Junhwe purses his lips. Donghyuk glares down at the floor and wipes forming tears in his eyes. He hears the general mutter “Explain”, so he does.

 

“Before the party, I slipped into the inner palace’s kitchen to check on the utensils and tea to be used. Each tray has sweets made with the insignia of each clan invited.”

 

Junhwe takes a moment to think. “The sweets are the sign. You looked for yours, detected poison in your master’s cup, and switched it out with someone else’s?”

 

Donghyuk nods, still glaring at the ground. “Time isn’t on my side and I did what I had to do. I know Lady Choi plans to ally with Lady Park against Jinhwan-hyung so I switched hers. I didn’t expect Lady Shin to be targeted as well.”

 

A suppressed part of him yells out from the cracks of his mask; telling him that he could have saved Lady Shin if he had taken another moment to check on the others. He bites his lip, lets the darkness push that part of him down again.

 

“If you want to punish me, go ahead.” he blurts out as he clenches his fists. “But please leave my master out of this. Jinhwan-hyungnim doesn’t know what I did.”

 

From the corner of his eyes, he sees the general’s hand curl into a fist, pausing for a second, before there’s a heavy sigh. Junhwe takes a step back, no longer crowding on him to give him more space. He takes advantage of that and releases a breath he didn’t realize he’s been holding.

 

“You are as faithful as ever to your master. Others would crumble the moment the king’s general confronts them.”

 

Donghyuk would want to believe it’s a praise. Yet in the situation they are in, the words feel more of a dangerous observance that’s spoken. If Jinhwan is there with them, he would have agreed with Junhwe and then scold him.

 

The thought makes him smile to himself.

 

“I would die for my master if he wishes for it.”

 

He glances up to see the other male staring at him, as if he isn’t surprised of his statement.

 

“That same willingness to throw life is the reason why I’m here; why his majesty is sitting on his throne despite all odds that are against him.”

 

Donghyuk nods. “I’m well aware, General Koo.”

 

“Then you should also be aware of how that willingness is both your weakness and strength.”

 

He knows. He is fully aware of what the general wants to warn him for.

 

“I won’t let myself be a weakness.”

 

“I’m well aware.” Junhwe says, mimicking his previous answer with a tone that is softer. “But I don’t trust that you truly are. You move dauntlessly but also quite recklessly. You are ignoring caution.”

 

He opens his mouth to defend himself but the general steps back into his personal space again and slaps a hand at the side of his head. Those cold eyes are unwaveringly full of warning.

 

“I will continue to watch, Donghyuk. I will say it again, do not meddle too much. Trust the King more.”

 

If only he could confidently say that he will.

 

Thankfully, Junhwe doesn’t ask for a response. Instead, he hands him an enveloped letter, tied with a red string and decorated with a dried press lotus flower.

 

Donghyuk can't help but sigh at the very familiar item. What timing.


 

* * *


 

A full moon. A small body of water. A garden of lotus flowers.

 

It’s either such setting is already an existing secret in the palace before King Hanbin came to the throne, or the King had ordered for it to be built.

 

Either way, it is an almost perfect recreation of the night the king and his master had first met and fell in love.

 

He bows down with Jinhwan as soon as they see the king’s figure at the other side of the small garden. There’s hurried steps and suddenly, his master is pulled up and brought into an embrace. He can hear a soft cry being muffled into the King’s royal robes. A smile makes its way to his lips in relief and happiness for his hyung.

 

Then the King speaks his name, telling him not to bow so lowly. Donghyuk stands up but maintains a lowered head.

 

“I greet his majesty the king. Thank you for your graciousness.”

 

“It’s just the four of us here, Donghyuk. Just call me like how you used to.”

 

He looks up, immediately seeing the expectant yet friendly look on the King’s face. His master seems amused.

 

“Alright, Hanbin-hyungnim.”

 

The King grins then leads Jinhwan toward the pavilion located in the middle of the pond.

 

“Excellent job bringing Sir Jinhwan here. I hope the map I drew proved useful.”

 

Junhwe steps from the shadows to stand beside him. The general doesn’t exude tension for once.

 

“I had hoped it was useful too, but…” he drawls in the pause, nursing amusement when Junhwe coughs awkwardly into a fist. A small tension is back again in the general’s aura so Donghyuk spares him from further teasing.

 

“Hanbin-hyungnim seems to have prepared a lot for this secret meeting with Jinhwan-hyung.” he lets his eyes wander around the place. “Is this secret garden always here in the palace?”

 

Junhwe nods. “Hanbin-hyung’s mother used to take him here when he was just a child. It was always during a full moon night and they would look at the lotus flowers.” he shifts weight from one leg to another. “It is one reason why Hanbin-hyung believes your master is his fated. He believes his late mother had sent Jinhwan-hyungnim to him.”

 

It is indeed how it looked, that night when he became the witness to the first time the king and his master met years ago. Donghyuk can still remember the disbelieved yet admiring gaze the king had towards his master, when he had stumbled into the lake Jinhwan loved to go for moon and stargazing. It was a time when the king was just about to be a lieutenant and still had the freedom to roam around; his fellow princes not considering him worthy to be thought of as a rival for the throne.

 

“My master believes the king is his fated as well.” he says, keeping his eyes on the couple who seem to be joking around. Any barriers of their status seem to disappear. The playful sight makes him smile.

 

“You don’t seem to share the belief.”

 

He stiffens a bit at the other male’s response. Averting his gaze from his hyung and the king, he gives Junhwe a leveled look.

 

“What gives you the impression that I don’t? If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have followed your instructions in the letter to bring him here.”

 

“You only followed because you know this meeting will make your master happy. Your thoughts and belief are exclusive from that.”

 

“Is this about how I play The Game? How you think I’m losing foresight?” he shakes his head. “That I don’t trust Hanbin-hyungnim?”

 

“Isn’t that true?”

 

A pause. “It is. To some extent.”

 

“Tell me why.”

 

He releases a soft, humorless laugh. Why doesn’t he fully trust the king? It is simple.

 

“Why go through all this?” he raises both his arms and gestures to his surroundings; to the royal palace. “He loves Jinhwan-hyungnim. He had promised since long ago to marry him. Why make my master go through a competition?”

 

Hanbin could have just called for Jinhwan to be his Royal Consort. As king, Hanbin has all the power to do so. Yet why does the king make his master go through a selection process that involves playing with power and greed, with death hovering over the two of them - over his master, more intensely than ever? Is the king testing Jinhwan-hyungnim’s feelings after telling him to just wait?

 

Such actions of the king makes Donghyuk doubt. Makes him question the king’s love for his brother.

 

“Can you blame me for not trusting the judgment of a king who makes his beloved go through hell first?” He asks conclusively after telling Junhwe his sentiments. “I know Hanbin-hyungnim is a good person, but I need him to be more than just a good person to Jinhwan-hyungnim.”

 

Junhwe doesn’t respond at first, letting silence reign between them for a long minute but Donghyuk doesn’t mind. He is grateful for it because it means the general is carefully thinking of his words; of his reasons.

 

“If I were in your place, I would have thought of the same...” Junhwe finally speaks. Donghyuk slowly nods. He had hoped the other male would understand, but it still surprised him. If only there isn’t a hanging end in his words.

 

“But I’m not, and I feel inclined to defend my own master’s sincerity.”

 

Just as he expects. The beginning of a counter argument.

 

“You are going to emphasize the letters aren’t you?” he says with a sigh. Junhwe agrees with an amused smirk.

 

Paper as white as snow, a red string tying it close, and a pressed lotus flower either tucked under the string or inside the letter itself. Those are the characteristics of the King’s letters to his hyung. He didn’t dare read or even take a peek into the contents of the letter but Jinhwan-hyung would often talk to him about them.

 

He knows why the general would want to talk about the letters.

 

“Once every month, without fail.” he speaks, before Junhwe would mention it himself. “I know. Regardless of the season, climate and even our whereabouts, the letter comes.” he pauses and glances up at the other male. “Delivered by you.”

 

Junhwe nods. “Isn’t that a strong evidence of loyalty and devotion?”

 

“It is. But a letter can also be forged. It can be used to deceive.”

 

And it is dangerous. It was through those letters that his master has truly fallen for the king. The letters had been his master’s source of happiness while he was on exile. Jinhwan considers each one of them a precious treasure.

 

What if it wasn’t the king who’s truly writing them? What if each letter was meant to ensnare; to play with a person’s pure heart?

 

“You are thinking too much.” Junhwe says in a tone that is serious. “Let me tell you, each letter I delivered was brought due to a small sacrifice of the King. Do you think his majesty could easily write one and had it sent on schedule? Delivered by a trusted personnel who he should have logically kept by his side in the middle of a war?”

 

Two, three arguments immediately pops in Donghyuk’s head. Yet images of the past also resurfaced, reminding him of how Junhwe is more often than not covered with bandages whenever he delivers each letter. Of how there was a weary and grim hint in his cold eyes that only lights up as soon as he receives the letter from him. As if he has fulfilled a very important duty.

 

He’s tempted to ask what those sacrifices were that Junhwe mentioned, but he refrains. There’s no fighting that.

 

“Then tell me why the king has to hold a selection when he already has his mind set on who he wants to be with.” Jinhwan glances at him so he waves a hand and smiles in assurance. His master smiles back then turns his attentions back to the King.

 

“His majesty is indeed loyal and devoted, yet why?”

 

He hears Junhwe release a breath.

 

“Because as powerful as the king is, so are his enemies. He can take Sir Jinhwan as his imperial consort right from the start, but doing so will subject your master to a danger greater than what he faces today.” the general shifts weight again then places a hand on the hilt of his sword out of habit.

 

“It is better to gleam out enemies carefully while they have the illusion that they are having what they want. So that when the illusion fades and they realize, not one of them will be left to fight back.”

 

Ah. A shiver runs down Donghyuk’s spine.

 

This is how the former “worthless” prince Hanbin had become king. A veil has been pulled out from in front of his eyes as understanding dawns on him.

 

“The consort selections is just a show. A compromise.” he states to himself, but Junhwe acknowledges with a nod.

 

Everything is a big, elaborate web - the king’s move in The Game. It is a giant trap where enemies are taken out one by one, and he keeps his master as safe as possible at the center. Within his reach, instead of away from The Game’s web.

 

He laughs humorlessly. That is the reason why the general keeps on telling him not to meddle too much.

 

“Trust the king more, huh?”

 

Junhwe nods again. “Yes.”

 

Laughter from the small pavilion interrupts their serious conversation for a moment. Donghyuk looks to see Jinhwan smiling from ear to ear. The happiness is so very obvious in him. The King reflects the same expression as well. It’s as if it’s the first time he’s been able to breathe. As if the very moment he’s with Jinhwan is the moment he’s been waiting for. The images of that first meeting between the two flashes in his mind once again. Of how the scene itself is the universe’s statement that they are meant to be.

 

Donghyuk can feel his doubts disappear steadily. There is only one thing to clarify.

 

“Then tell me, what does the king want me to do? I’m certainly not going to just wait and watch.” he feels his jaw tighten. “Not when there are death threats everyday and almost every single noble house is out to get my master’s head.”

 

“We know very well. That’s why I am going to offer a proposition.” Junhwe says with an amused hint in his voice.

 

“An alliance with the Koo family, in behalf of his majesty the king. Work with me in the shadows to cull off his majesty’s enemies from within the consort selections, so no one will be able to block our masters’ happiness.”

 

Donghyuk sighs in defeat. He and his master entered the palace with just the two of them. Now, the general of the king himself is offering an alliance, albeit in secret.

 

A selfish pride feels disappointed that he had to grab onto it to ensure Jinhwan’s safety and place in the court, but at the same time he feels immensely relieved that Junhwe is on their side, instead of in the opposite.

 

For the one thing he doesn’t want to happen the most, aside from failing his master, is to have Koo Junhwe as an enemy.

 

“Here, an offering to further convince you.”

 

He blinks and stiffens in surprise when Junhwe presses something on his arm. Cautiously turning his head to look, he raises an eyebrow when he sees a small pouch being offered.

 

“Proof of my sincerity for our alliance.” the general says, nudging on his arm again to make him take it.

 

As he opens the pouch in wonder, Donghyuk’s mind immediately lists items that could possibly fit in the pouch. The Koo clan’s insignia? A high-level pass to merchant deals? They better not be gems or gold coins.

 

Yet what greeted him are sugar candies; the same kind Jinhwan-hyung had fed him a few weeks back.

 

“I was informed you are still fond of those sweets.”

 

He is, and it takes him more than a moment to recover from his surprise before he laughs.

 

“This will be taken as an insult if this were any other alliance proposition.”

 

From his peripheral vision, he sees the general cross his arms. He glances up to see him shrug and smirk.

 

“But this isn’t any other alliance proposition, and you most definitely not see it as an insult.”

 

He hums in agreement.

 

“So, do I take it that you accept?”

 

“Yes.” he takes out one piece of sugar candy and pops it in his mouth. “In behalf of Sir Jinhwan of the Eastern Kim clan, I am accepting the Koo family’s offer of alliance.”

 

“Good.” Junhwe reaches to take a couple of candies from the pouch. Donghyuk frowns but doesn’t complain. “May we reach our goal with as little casualties as possible.”

 

The grim undertone from the general’s statement is an instant flash to the other side of the partnership he just established. He hides it with a firm nod and a bright smile, when Jinhwan glances to him in curiosity.


 

* * *


 

It’s been roughly a week and a half since then.

 

Observe and make a report - that is general Koo’s strict instructions for him. Apparently, he and the king had already identified the noble houses who they can and cannot trust, and were just waiting for every factor to be set in place before making their grand move.

 

Not so much of a surprise, Lady Lee Chaerin turns out to be an ally, and was only acting like a pseudo leader to taunt the ones who are foolish enough to try an assassination attempt. Lady Shin, however, was an enemy and was deliberately poisoned by Lady Chaerin under her orders.

 

“I knew she is a good person.” Jinhwan had told him after he relayed the information about Lady Lee. “Though it remains to be seen if she considers us a separate ally, or if we are just an extension of her friendship with his majesty.”

 

That is true; which is why Donghyuk hadn’t stopped spying on Lady Lee’s affairs. This time however, he’s making use of the additional resources general Koo has provided him with.

 

He opens the doors of his master’s assigned quarters, smiling when he sees the familiar eunuch from Lady Lee’s tea party. Yunhyeong is his name, according to Junhwe, and is apparently one of his two agents he had planted in the inner palace.

 

Yunhyeong presents to him a tray of food for Jinhwan’s breakfast, stealthily passing him a note through the sleeves of their jeogori as maids come in to arrange the dining table. They don’t exchange any words and even eye contact.

 

When they are finally left alone, he opens the note and reads the contents silently. His master is staring at him in amused expectation. “Any news?”, he asks.

 

There is. One of Lady Lee’s trusted aides has made contact with the Eastern Kim’s main house. He takes a moment to let the words sink in. They had expected the main house getting themselves involved along the way, but not this soon.

 

His expression must have been so obvious in his face since Jinhwan had sighed heavily.

 

“It’s the main house isn’t it? A sabotage?” Jinhwan picks two big pieces of meat from a dolsot and places it on top of his bowl. “Are they planning to push for our cousin, Lady Jisoo?”

 

“You are thinking quite ahead, master.” Donghyuk remarks in amusement. He bows in gratefulness upon seeing the meat on his bowl. “But those are possibilities. For now, an aide of Lady Lee had just met with someone from the main house.”

 

“We cannot assume it’s under Lady Lee’s orders isn’t it?”

 

“You are right, hyungnim. I’ve noticed a few peculiarities with two of her aides, and I’ve let our friends know.”

 

“What will I do without you, Donghyuk-ah?”

 

“Indeed, what will Kim Jinhwan do without me?”

 

He laughs when his master pouts and steals back one of the meat he’d given him. He doesn’t mind of course and takes a couple of piece of pajeon to stack them on his master’s bowl, pretending not to know the meaning behind the intentful gaze Jinhwan is giving him.

 

“You are truly an irreplaceable existence to me, so I want you to please be careful and lie low now that we have new allies. Overcoming trials won’t be worth it if you are made to be in terrible danger. Do you understand, brother?”

 

The fact that Jinhwan had called him “brother” meant he is being very serious of what he’s saying. No arguments will be entertained no matter how valid those arguments are. So he says he understands and holds back a desire to argue that his master is in fact in more danger than him. That it’s quite impossible to be victorious without sacrifices. Death’s grip on his soul is still firm and unflinching.

 

“You know, I noticed you and General Koo had a good atmosphere going on at the secret garden…”

 

The statement is obviously meant to alleviate the bleak atmosphere between them, but Donghyuk doesn’t quite appreciate it. He discreetly clears his throat and takes advantage of chewing food to calm down the warmth he feels on his cheeks.

 

“I am absolutely clueless to what you are referring to, master.”

 

“That atmosphere has always been there, whenever he delivers his majesty’s letters and you receive them.”

 

He doesn’t have to look to know Jinhwan is grinning.

 

“It seems to have intensified…”

 

If it has indeed intensified, it’s only because they’ve been having heated confrontations regarding his actions in the inner palace and his previous lack of trust for the king’s feelings; which, of course, his master doesn’t have to know in detail.

 

“Again, I don’t know what you are talking about.” he says in finality, frowning at his food when Jinhwan laughs. “More importantly, please concentrate on your preparations for the banquet.”

 

The mention of the event halts any motive of his master to more. Jinhwan sighs and nods, a cautious yet determined hint in his eyes due to the reminder.

 

Two nights from then, a banquet will be held for all consort candidates. It is a gesture from the king to take the candidates’ minds off from the recent unfortunate incidents that had happened. The king himself will be present and the families of each candidate are expected to attend.

 

If the suspicious actions of Lady Lee’s lady-in-waiting is any indication, it will mean meeting the Eastern Kim’s main house members very soon when they wouldn’t bother if it was any other situation.

 

It is definitely a meeting they do not look forward to.


 

* * *


 

He slips easily through the shadows of the inner palace’s halls, only relying on the light of the moon and his senses to navigate. Upon arriving to a hidden pathway, he’s greeted with a pat on his shoulder.

 

“Hello, Donghyuk.”

 

Donghyuk turns around to see Yunhyeong smiling kindly at him. He is still wearing eunuch robes but there is a sword tied around his hips. He greets the other man back, then turns around again to greet another man walking towards them.

 

“The general is getting impatient waiting for you.” the man says, earning a snicker from Yunhyeong.

 

“Chanwoo.” Donghyuk ignores the teasing tone of the man. “I believe I’m not late. Is there any reason why the general is getting impatient?”

 

“Nothing really. Just being antsy, I guess.” The general’s other agent, Chanwoo, says as he leads him and Yunhyeong through the pathway. His tone is serious this time. “He has nightmares during times like these.”

 

“Times like these…?”

 

“Times when the stakes are as high as ever.” Yunhyeong answers with another kind smile; not giving him a chance to ask for an elaboration when they reach a door.

 

There is a shorter pathway after that which leads to an inconspicuous door that Chanwoo opens by pushing a bit of force and sliding it to the side. Light seeps from the gap, lighting up the pathway more until all of them can enter one by one.

 

Donghyuk immediately notices the interior. The designs and structure are a sign that the room is located somewhere in the main palace. A path to another room is at the right, perhaps a resting room or a more private office, but in the middle of the main room is a big table with maps and documents sprawled out. Standing across it is Junhwe.

 

“Took you guys long enough.” he says with a small scowl. Chanwoo shakes his head with a soft chuckle.

 

“Patience is key, master. I’m sure Donghyuk agrees.”

 

“I do.” he stops himself from snickering when the general scowls further. “But we don’t have a lot of time. May we start our discussion now?”

 

Junhwe’s expression lightens a bit at that, but not enough to take out the seriousness of their topic.

 

Many names are mentioned; keywords from discovered heinous plans are spoken. It is no surprise to Donghyuk that some of the names are those of the members of the Eastern Kim clan. Uncles, cousins and even brothers and sisters - they are all plotting against their own family, against Jinhwan, for power and greed. Their control of the web even reached out to half of the noble houses included in the selections. A few more are apparently planning to side with them as well.

 

“And Lady Lee?” he gulps as he awaits an answer.

 

“Lady Chaerin is a loyal ally. That, I can assure you.” Junhwe says firmly. “I personally know one of her ladies-in-waiting. She is trustworthy and can attest to her mistress’ good intentions.” the general shifts position to face the inner room. “Isn’t that right, Chaeyoung?”

 

Donghyuk looks on to see a lovely lady walk out of the inner room, a fan covering . She is one of the two ladies-in-waiting he’s been watching for awhile now.

 

“Hello, Donghyuk-ssi. It is good to finally meet in this situation.” the girl says, her eyes crinkling for a smile. “It is also good to finally be cleared of your suspicions.”

 

“Before you berate yourself, I told her about your instructions.” Junhwe cuts in, shifting his grip on his sword hilt.

 

Donghyuk smiles and nods. He ignores how Chaeyoung giggles at Junhwe’s habit when he’s uneasy, and how Junhwe moves to pat her on the back so she could see the documents on the table better.

 

With Chaeyoung there, they managed to get more inside information courtesy of Lady Lee’s own spying. A solid plan is finally hatched for the banquet in two nights, and despite Donghyuk’s tendency to worry and think over a situation again and again, he doesn’t feel the need to do such a thing for the plan. Maybe because King Hanbin himself thought of the framework of the plan, but he can sense a coming victory and for once, he’d like to grab onto it.

 

Daybreak is nearing when they finished their discussion. Chanwoo goes first with Chaeyoung to return to the inner palace, so Donghyuk waits with Yunhyeong and Junhwe for a moment.

 

“Do not do anything from now until the end of the plan.” Junhwe says with his arms crossed. His tone has a warning hint. “Just do your role as your master’s aide. Be at his side at all times.”

 

It’s as if he’s a child being scolded, so Donghyuk decides to retort instead of simply agreeing.

 

“You don’t need to repeat that. I am perfectly capable of understanding what I should and should not do.”

 

“Just making sure since you have tendencies.” Junhwe retorts back.

 

“Tendencies like?”

 

“Attracting danger that is more than necessary.”

 

They are interrupted when Yunhyeong snorts. Both of them turn to look at him in expectation, and Yunhyeong answers immediately.

 

“Please excuse the general, Donghyuk-ssi, for he’s poor in communicating what he really wants to say.”

 

“Yun--

 

“The general merely wants you to stay safe and not put yourself into danger when you can easily avoid it. Thus, he wants you to stay in the place that is the safest, which is your master’s side, where all the other noble houses will be present as well.”

 

Oh.

 

He isn’t quite sure how to react to such statement, until he glances at Junhwe and sees him looking away with a heavy scowl. The general’s ears are red.

 

He feels his cheeks warm up in response.

 

Thankfully, Chanwoo returns right at the moment, telling them that Chaeyoung returned safely and that the pathways are still safe to use. He gives the general a respectful bow, not daring to look at his face, before he follows Yunhyeong out of the room.

 

“I made you feel awkward there, didn’t I? Forgive me.” the man says with a sheepish grin. “I was merely trying to help. I have a feeling you have some misunderstandings regarding him.”

 

Honestly… no. Initially, he did think Junhwe is an unfeeling man who can only think of his duties. That was the case when he had first met him, in that cold night in September and he was saved from an accident.

 

Ironically, there was also the presence of the full moon, a body of water, and a bed of flowers around that first time they crossed paths.

 

“I know he is a good person.” he says, clearing his throat when his voice cracks a bit. “I’m aware his intentions are good despite his harsh words and actions.”

 

Yunhyeong gives him an impressed look, the light from the lamp he’s holding emphasizing it.

 

“Then as a retainer of the general, I give you my thanks for understanding his personality. He can be overwhelming for other people to deal with, so I can understand if he’d given you some grievances.”

 

“He did.” Donghyuk smirks when he remembers those two nights when Junhwe ambushed him with glares, and the times in the past when they bickered over the condition of the king’s letters.

 

His smirk turns into a smile. “But more than that, he had helped me and my master so much. It is utterly impossible for me to think of him as anything lesser than a valuable friend and ally.”

 

Yunhyeong grins widely at him. The pathway exit is in their line of sight now. “You truly are a gift, Donghyuk. I hope we can work with each other for many, many years.”

 

“We will, when the plan is done and the king and my master’s happiness is secured.”

 

“That can be considered done now.”

 

They stop in front of the door. “Chanwoo told me the general only gave you candies as an alliance offering though. If you need anything else aside from that, you are free to tell me. The general won’t know.”

 

Donghyuk snickers. But then, he remembers he hadn’t given anything in return yet.

 

“There is no need to ask for more, but I’d like to know what the general would prefer to receive? I’ve failed to give him anything.”

 

Maybe because he looks troubled; Yunhyeong seems to hesitate, shifting his gaze for a few times, before answering.

 

“Well, as far as I know, the general doesn’t want to receive anything. He offered this alliance out of his own desire to help his best friend.”

 

Donghyuk frowns a bit at that. If that’s the case, he shouldn’t have given him anything as well. It doesn’t matter that the offering was just candies. What was the purpose behind it?

 

“But if you must know, there is only one thing the general truly desires.”

 

He gives Yunhyeong an expectant look. He’s not sure if he could procure whatever it is that Junhwe wants, but he’ll do his best to get it.

 

Yet Yunhyeong just smiles and starts to open the door. “Did you know there was really no need for him to deliver his majesty’s letters to Sir Jinhwan each time? It was actually Chanwoo and I who were supposed to bring the letters.”

 

Donghyuk blinks. That is… a very surprising revelation. He mutters “why” with the need to know the reason for Junhwe’s insistence to deliver the letters, then he continues the question to “Why tell me this?” when he gains his focus back again.

 

“Because the general’s one and only desire is related to that.” Yunhyeong enigmatically says.

 

The door is opened now and the retainer’s tone signals to him that the talk is over. Donghyuk shakes his head and bows down to him, letting go of his questions for now as the dark sky slowly reveals the light of the morning sun. He can think about Junhwe’s mystery much later but for now, it’s back to sly navigations in the webs of The Game.

 

The presence of death is alive as ever in the confines of the inner palace, but only for a few days more. They will pull off their much-awaited checkmate.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter