Chapter Three

Impossible to (Not) Love

Kihyun doesn’t know how he’s gotten here. Last he remembers is losing it on the elevator. Now, here he is, sitting in a booth in Hoseok’s café with the blankest of stares at his cup of coffee. Hoseok’s staring at him, twiddling his thumbs anxiously atop the table. Minhyuk glances between them, his foot repeatedly tapping against the floor.

“K-Kihyunnie?” Hoseok says, kneading his bottom lip between his teeth. “W-Will you pleathe tell me what happened?” Minhyuk’s eyes finally land on Kihyun, becoming still for the first time in their thirty minutes of sitting there.

“I…” Kihyun mutters, his voice faint with disbelief. “My… My appa said that I’m to be married to a son of the Im corporation… It’s all set. It’ll happen in two years. I have to meet with him tomorrow.” He babbles on and on, repeating detail after detail from the meeting. They’re miniscule little things, but he’s yet to process it all.

Hoseok remains silent as he speaks, and for some time after. He doesn’t move, doesn’t blink. Minhyuk gulps thickly, unsure if he should even still be here. Maybe he should come up with an excuse to leave. He’s sure their father is absolutely fuming about the way they had left, so maybe he can use that as an excuse to get the hell out of dodge…

Just as he’s about to execute his genius plan, Hoseok finally parts his lips, a single sentence slipping passed.

“Well… I guess that’s the end of us, then.”

Yeah. Minhyuk definitely needs to leave now. He has no place in a conversation such as this. So, with that in mind, he makes a hasty excuse, squeezes Kihyun on the knee in silent reassurance, and rushes out from the table. Hoseok doesn’t watch him as he leaves, as his eyes are only on Kihyun. His eyes are always only on Kihyun.

Kihyun, on the other hand, has no idea what to do. He knows there’s little choice for his future now, that he has to practically sell himself for the company. That is, if he doesn’t want to be disowned by his father. But then that raises the question of if Hoseok is worth all that or not. Sure, he cares about Hoseok. He thinks the man absolutely adorable, and much more than anyone will ever give him credit for. He knows he always wants to have the older in his life…

Though, whether as a friend or a lover he isn’t sure.

“I don’t want that,” Kihyun finally says, his typically-strong voice incredibly meek. “I like what we have, and I’m not ready for it to be over.”

“But there’s no choice, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok argues, his voice incredibly strained. “I… We… We don’t have a choice anymore. You have to go through with your appa’s plan. I’ll bow out. I won’t stand in your way. I—”

“Hyung, ple—”

“I have to get back to work,” Hoseok interrupts, sniffling loudly as he bows his head and stands. “We can talk about it later, if you want. But, honestly, I don’t think there’s anything left to talk about.” He walks away without waiting another second, leaving Kihyun to sit there, stewing in his thoughts until he can muster the strength to stand.

 

“I’ve ruined it already,” Changkyun whines, burying his face into his pillow. He can feel his brothers surrounding him, creating this sort of supportive ring around him. Jooheon sets a gentle hand atop his shoulder, and he can’t help but let loose a groan of dismay.

“You didn’t do anything, Kyunnie,” Hyungwon assures him in his softest tone. “Even his appa didn’t know that he was involved with someone. That isn’t anyone’s fault but his. He should’ve told someone. Maybe then he’d at least have been warned about this.”

“It doesn’t make a difference now,” Hyunwoo states simply. “He has two options: refuse and be disowned or break it off with whoever it is he’s involved with and accept the betrothal.”

“So that’s all I am now?” Changkyun bemoans, barely lifting his head enough to be heard clearly. “A meal ticket?”

“No, Kyunnie!” Jooheon quickly interjects. “Just… don’t think too much of it, okay? Wait and see how tomorrow goes. I’m sure he’s gone and talked to this person about the situation."

“I don’t want to push in where I’m not wanted,” Changkyun says stubbornly. “If he doesn’t want me, I should tell Appa that—”

“He doesn’t know you,” Hyunwoo interrupts, “so how would he know whether or not he wants you? Just go to the meeting tomorrow, and you two can talk about everything. Who knows? Maybe he and this other person have been having issues, and he only mentioned it today out of loyalty or something.”

Changkyun finally pulls fully away from the pillow, giving his eldest brother a grateful glance. He always seems to know what to make Changkyun feel better, no matter how feeble the words sound.

 

A/N: Sorry for the short update guys, but I needed to cut it off before they met for... reasons, hehe ^^ Hopefully I'll have the next chapter up for you guys soon enough~