Chapter 3

My moon belongs to your sun

Jinhwan just laid in bed, letting their doctor to examine him as his father declared he has no other choice. He was sulking because all the wounds have healed (even Junhoe’s mark on his neck), he assured everyone that he felt fine, wasn’t in pain and certainly didn’t need a doctor to see him just to be sure, but the king was a stubborn man and once the words left his mouth, no one had the guts to protest.

 

“You’re my eldest son, the heir to the throne, and even if it’s just a damn scratch is on your body, I want the doctor to confirm that it’s not lethal.”

 

All of the king’s sons could repeat the words by memory any time or guess perfectly what he’d say in these kinds of situations, because he cherished his children the most, and worshipped their mother to death.

 

Once the doctor assured the waiting ones that Prince Jinhwan is not going to die today, everyone became calm and went on their way (probably to pester him later). The king and the queen wanted to organize a gathering with the vampires.

 

Wait, what?!

 

“Uhm, uncle, why do we need to do that?”

 

“Because Prince Junhoe saved my son and he was kidnapped because of our mistake, so we need to thank them and make sure they won’t hold grudges against us in the future. Your parents are on the way too, Jiwon-ah.”

 

“Great.” The boy muttered when the king finally stepped out of the room, leaving only the children there.

 

“Hyung, are you sure everything’s fine?” Chanwoo sat beside him on the bed, and despite Jinhwan hated this question and would rather erase it from the people’s mind, he nodded, even giving a small smile to his brother.

 

“Hyung,” Bobby said suddenly, drawing the attention to himself. Jinhwan lost his smile. “I’m terribly sorry, hyung! I didn’t mean to harm you, I was just too scared and didn’t want you to act blinded by love and regret it later, and I know I was an idiot to cooperate with Hanbin and separate you two, and…” He burst out in tears, unable to continue speaking.

 

The two Kim brothers were looking at Jinhwan right now, he locked eyes with Donghyuk, who was rolling his eyes and nodded his head in their cousin’s direction, probably would saying something like: “Hug that idiot already!”

 

So he did.

 

He slid out of bed and stood in front of Bobby, hugging him without thinking.

 

Bobby froze. “Hyung…?”

 

“I know.” He nodded. “Have for a while now to be honest.”

 

“Y-you knew?” His eyes widened in horror.

 

“You think I keep secrets from my brother?” Donghyuk smirked at him, sitting calmly with legs crossed in the armchair.

 

“Hyung!” Bobby was totally panicking now, looking from one cousin to the other. “Then why didn’t you say anything? Why… why kept talking to me like everything was okay? Weren’t you mad?”

 

“I wanted you to tell me yourself. And I was mad at first, but I did a little thinking and settled things with myself. You were wrong to do something like that behind my back, but you can’t take the blame for everything. Hanbin took his part in this too, and Junhoe… Well, he left me, didn’t he? So he wasn’t sure about us, our love either. At least not enough to run away with me.”

 

“Hyung, I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry! I will never do that again!” He clung to Jinhwan like a child to his mother.

 

“Don’t cry, Jiwon-ah.” Jinhwan brushed a few stray hairs out of his cousin’s face, offering him a soft smile and it made Bobby to relax a little while he returned the gesture.

 

“Now that this crybaby has calmed down, hyung, would you tell us what happened between you and Junhoe?” Donghyuk was curious, but he also knew his brother won’t start a topic like that himself, not even when he was dying to talk to someone about it.

 

All eyes were on Jinhwan, waiting for his reaction, maybe a little tensed up too, but certainly hoping he wouldn’t take it in the wrong way, and luckily, he didn’t.

 

After a long minute (what felt like many more to the others), Jinhwan nodded, actually relieved that he was able to tell the truth to a part of the family without them being judgemental. His suppressed feelings were eating him alive now, and the outcome of their kidnapping just triggered them, causing them to come near to the surface where he can’t hide them anymore.

 

He opened his mouth and started vomiting words and with that, he released everything, but most of all, himself.

 

He told them he gave his blood to Junhoe, he revealed the circumstances of his fight with Tiffany, how Junhoe saved him and shocked him at once, how it felt to have the vampire’s lips on his again, their bodies so close and touching again, and he did not regret any single moment of all of this, even when they had to separate hearing their families coming to the rescue. Not even after he saw the pretty red-haired girl falling into Junhoe’s arms and hugging him like there was no tomorrow for them, just like Jinhwan himself did it minutes ago.

 

He only noticed he was crying when he felt his brother’s calming fingers caressing his back, while Bobby pulled them into a group hug surrounded by love. And they just cried with him too, because this was a night like that, filled with emotions and endless brotherly love.


 

Junhoe never thought he’d have to visit the werewolf king’s mansion any time soon, when it was a rarity if his majesty gathered a party for his own people, let alone for the vampires. He was nervous all day, dreading the meeting with Jinhwan and his family, this whole situation reminded him of the one time when he was a guest in this castle and he had to pretend he didn’t know Prince Jinhwan at all personally; it was almost killing him back then.

 

It did not help his case that his own family was following him around everywhere, trying to pry for details, for example, why did the rogues abduct him too? He told them he doesn’t know, the woman who lead them was really, truly crazy, saying things that made no sense, and he’d been hoping Jinhwan would only confirm his words.

 

The castle was quite quiet that night, and if there weren’t for the lights coming through the windows and the doubled guard outside (and presumably inside the mansion), Junhoe would easily think that no one was home. But the doors opened in front of them and maids escorted them to the throne room where the two families could greet each other.

 

A man at the door asked for their patience while he announced their arrival, Junhoe just rolled his eyes, they were in the twenty-first century for God’s sake! This whole royalty thing was bull.

 

The greeting went smoother than a few of them expected, and the king ushered them to the big dining hall while engaging himself in a conversation with Junhoe’s father. The queens seemed to get along well, but the most surprising part was that Prince Donghyuk chatted with Princess Yejin friendly, like they met each other a long ago and didn’t have the opportunity just now to talk the first time.

 

Jennie (because of course Hanbin had to bring his nosy girlfriend), started gossiping with one of the younger maids, who had to be new judging by the way she spoke so openly about the prince in the presence of her king and the vampires too. Fortunately, no one payed attention to her except the information-hungry girl.

 

“Kim Jinhwan? I don’t know what happened to him. Five years ago he wasn’t like this… He was so cheery that you had the urge to smile when you looked at him, and he had some kind of mischief sparkling in his eyes, but now… It’s like melancholy follows him around everywhere and can’t seem to escape from it.”

 

Junhoe jerked his head up at that and his eyes met Yunhyeong’s. Okay, so the girl was might not be new, but either she really didn’t know about what happened, or she played her role perfectly as a dumb housemaid; whichever way it was, it was foolish of her saying things like that.

 

Jennie raised a brow at that. Of course, other than Junhoe and his two best friends, everyone was puzzled about what happened with Jinhwan and the rogues.

 

Junhoe glanced at Jinhwan when they entered the room, he was talking with a man and a woman, who both strangely looked like Bobby, so the vampire prince safely assumed that they were his parents.

 

Jinhwan didn’t seem to be uncomfortable, sad or angry, he was having a nice conversation with his family members, but something in his features (maybe the lack of smile) made Junhoe think hard about what he just heard. And the maid’s words suddenly became truer, more than he would’ve liked it.

 

But he also knew something that girl didn’t: it wasn’t about the rogues or for some inexplicable reason, it was all his fault Jinhwan became like this.

 

The feast wasn’t anything special, if anything, it was big, full of delicious looking foods, but the vampires preferred blood over the actual meals, which they could eat and taste, however eating was an irrelevant element of their survival. They ate for fun, sometimes out of boredom, or to trick humans.

 

Junhoe felt sick. He looked around the room and he saw his father talking with Jinhwan’s father, saw how they were nice to each other, nonetheless there was some kind of rigidity in both of their voices, not sufficient to start accusations, but enough to show everyone they are not friends, and never will be. He heard pieces of the conversation, and even felt sicker by his own father’s behaviour, he acted like they deserved a medal at least because Junhoe happened to be there with Jinhwan and saved his life, and not failing to mention discreetly that practically this was the werewolves’ fault and they should bow their heads in front of them, feeling lucky Junhoe didn’t run straight back home. The vampire king acted like all the glory was his despite his son was the one who did something notable.

 

Junhoe closed his eyes and focused on a much pleasant voice instead.

 

Something poked his arm, and he reluctantly looked at Hanbin, who pointed at the fork that started to bend under his tight grip. He put it back on the table slowly and was looking around cautiously, making sure no one has seen him damaging the very antique and expensive-looking dinnerware set. Unfortunately, Jinhwan was staring directly at him across the table with no readable facial expression; and maybe that was his luck, because he was caught by the only person in this room from the wolf’s circle who wouldn’t say a bad word about him. Not with the pure soul he had.

 

He was truly surprised when the king thanked him personally, offering his hand to shake, and of course he had accepted it, but he was still dazed by the unexpected act when they moved to the doors, the man, a loving father’s whisper, his sincere words echoing in his head. He saw it in his eyes, everything he felt for his son, the dread which has remained even after the prince was back at home, alive and safe, and Junhoe wondered, had his own father ever felt that for his children? Or were they just pretty puppets he bragged about when they did something remarkable, and was ashamed of when they weren’t as good as he demanded them to be?

 

He wanted nothing more in this world than his father to accept him and support him, be proud of who he was as a son, a vampire, and most importantly a man himself, but he realized just now maybe he should seek all of these somewhere else.

 

And one look at Jinhwan was enough for him to decide what he really wanted.

 

“I-I want to tell something…” His voice came out shaking and unsure, but he couldn’t have been more determined. He looked right at the werewolf king.

 

Everyone was perplexed about this sudden bravery, and they were also curious what he had to say. Unlike his friends, who knew exactly was this all about.

 

“Your Majesty, I need to tell you the truth.” This time, he was certain. The king looked interested and not like he wanted to kill him, so it was a bit reassuring; although he knew it could easily change once he’s done talking.

 

“Junhoe!” Hanbin and Yunhyeong hissed at the same time while Jinhwan just stood there, shocked from what was about to happen. What was Junhoe doing?

 

“No! I don’t care anymore. Your Majesty, I love your son more than anything in this world. I left him once and it caused us five years of misery. I was kidnapped because Tiffany found out about what happened between me and your son in the past, and I saved him because I could not bear it if he died. I can’t lie anymore, I’m sorry. Jinhwan means so much to me that I can’t describe it with words worthy enough to say… I would die for him at any second without thinking, and if he’s not with me, my life is worth nothing, I am worth nothing. So please, Your Majesty, I’m begging you.” Junhoe dropped onto his knees, eyes teary. Now everyone was looking at Jinhwan, who only had eyes for the vampire. This wasn’t a dream, was it? “Let me be with your son. If… if that’s what he wants too.” He hung his head down, trying to suppress his sobbing.

 

Jinhwan thought this was unreal. He would not even thought in his wildest dreams that Junhoe ever or still had these strong feelings for him, not to mention confess in front of both of their families, especially when his own father wasn’t nearly as kind as Jinhwan’s. He didn’t know what to do, his lips parted and trembled as he tried to speak, even though his brain out and the only thing he saw was Junhoe kneeling just a couple of meters away from him, the vampire’s words repeating in his head over and over again. Nothing else did matter in that moment, not even the ones around them, he only noticed his own tears when his vision became blurry.

 

He didn’t care anymore either. He felt his body moving on its own, and he knelt before Junhoe, threw himself in the vampire’s arms that tightened around him without hesitation, and they started crying together. Their hearts beat as one, and it was like magic: Jinhwan could swear he felt all the released feelings flying around them, embracing them in their hug like protecting them from the outside world where there was not only acceptance waiting for them. But they were armoured against everything by their love.

 

Their joy couldn’t last longer, though.

 

“Is this why you left Lisa? For him?”

 

The two immediately separated at the sound of Junhoe’s father’s strict voice. The king was fuming and Junhoe pushed Jinhwan behind his back, covering him protectively while he stood there ready to face the anger coming from his parents. He had expected it, so it didn’t shock him much, he was feeling a little guilty though, because now Jinhwan had to put up with everything that what’s coming to get them.

 

“Speak, your coward! But chose your words carefully, because I’m not willing to let my son ruin our reputation!”

 

“And I’m not willing to let Jinhwan go this time.” Junhoe was full of confidence, and it both amazed and worried Jinhwan. His fingers sneaked up to squeeze Junhoe’s hand, and the boy squeezed back.

 

This made the vampire king more furious, and he was about to lunge at his son, but suddenly his fellow king stepped in between them. And now, no one did anything to hide their anxiety, they just prayed to survive the day without a bloodbath.

 

“With all due respect, I don’t tolerate any violence in my house, I never did and won’t start it now, especially if my child is involved in it too.” The king spoke calmly, but his tone made it clear that the other shouldn’t press the subject too much because he ain’t afraid to step up against him.

 

This, weirdly made Junhoe calm. Now it’s sure he won’t kill me here at least.

 

He saw his father’s almost blowing up, but the werewolf started talking again, this time, to him and Jinhwan. “I appreciate your honesty Prince Junhoe, maybe it could have been done under other circumstances, but your bravery shows me that you really mean what you say. I already heard your version, now I’m asking my son if he feels the same way, although seeing you two I could answer this question myself too.”

 

Junhoe swore there was a small smile flashing across the king’s face.

 

“Yes, I love him as much as he loves me, and I want to be with him too.” Jinhwan stated firmly. They had a lot of catching up to do, working on their relationship to be more solid than it was once, and they had to build up the trust again, but the roots were already there to help them out, so the wolf was hopeful they could last.

 

“Well then, my children, you have my approval. But I don’t want another ruckus in this castle, let’s handle things smoothly in the future.” The king added, directing his words to Junhoe, who nodded in agreement. The vampire felt so happy and relieved that he nearly forgot about his father.

 

“I give you another chance to change your mind, Junhoe, all you need to do is to apologize and I’m ready to forget about this night has ever happened.”

 

He looked from his father’s cold expression into his mother’s pleading eyes, moving onto see Hanbin and Yunhyeong smiling reassuringly at him, maybe a bit tense too, but at least he knew they would cover his back, and his sister? His sister never seemed to be this emotional, they weren’t exactly close, but it was obvious they loved and could count on each other.

 

“Make it quick, boy! Decide wisely, or you are not my son anymore.”

 

Junhoe felt like laughing all of sudden, he peeked at the Kim family, they didn’t know him and he didn’t know them so well, but he saw the kind of support in their eyes he never noticed in his own family, and he only needed to take one look at Jinhwan, who stared up at him worryingly, holding his hand tight, to say the words and feel the relief washing through his body:

 

“Then I’m not your son anymore.”

 

Enjoying the impact of his statement he thought he should’ve done this sooner.


 

Jinhwan was basking in the happiness that came with Junhoe’s unforeseen confession, the effect on their lives was incredible, it was like he found his new and happier self by the vampire’s side.

 

They were taking things slow, not jumping into the relationship like it was okay for both of them after they suffered from their past mistakes, but the amount of effort they were putting into their love certainly seemed to pay off.

 

It didn’t mean they weren’t reckless sometimes and acted before they could think better of it.

 

“I can’t believe we actually did that.”

 

Jinhwan’s fingers caressed the marked skin on Junhoe’s wrist while they were lying in bed together.

 

“Yeah, but if leaving was the greatest mistake of my life, then this is the best one I’m never going to regret.” Junhoe took a moment to admire their matching tattoos that were burnt in their skin because the ink would have healed thanks to being immortals and supernatural creatures. Jinhwan chuckled.

 

“You sure know how to charm me.” He was looking at Junhoe with those sincere and sparkling eyes that he melted the vampire’s heart. There was no melancholy anymore, only joy.

 

“I’m doing my best, love.” Junhoe touched the wounded neck of the wolf, making him shiver a bit, but only because of the comfortable feeling that spread through his body any time the younger did that. He was so careful and gentle, not wanting to hurt him even though those were just scars. It was endearing.

 

“Oh yeah? Should I have to keep up with that?” Jinhwan leaned closer, as did Junhoe, but neither of them closed the whole distance between their faces.

 

“I don’t know, can you?” The vampire teased back with a small grin. Jinhwan pretended to be offended and kicked his lover under the blanket. Junhoe only snickered. “Ah, don’t be so grumpy, my love! We just got those tattoos, it wouldn’t be nice if we broke up already.” He started to pull away from Jinhwan’s wrath, but failed when the strong hands grabbed him and yanked him back.

 

“Never in your dreams, Koo Junhoe! You’re not getting rid of me that easily now.” He put his arms around the boy’s neck. “My moon belongs to your sun. Remember?” He whispered, referring to their tattoos again which represented both of their house flags, a full moon with shadows and woods for Jinhwan, and a descending sun with the colored sky for Junhoe. They combined them, and created their own symbol of love.

 

“I would never forget.”

 

He closed the gap between them, and sealed his promise with a kiss he poured all his love into.


 

“Can I join?”

 

Bobby couldn’t believe this was happening again. Did it really become their habit to meet accidentally at public places? He didn’t mind this time, though, so he nodded without looking at his guest. He heard him ordering the same drink he was sipping and hiding his smirk behind.

 

“So those two actually made it, huh?” All hatred was gone from Hanbin’s voice when he talked to him.

 

Bobby suspected they didn’t necessarily hate each other all along, but more like themselves for what they’ve done with Junhoe and Jinhwan and they were mad because both of them were guilty and that had been the problem all the time.

 

“Yeah, good for them. They deserve to be happy now.” And he meant it, with all of his heart. He wanted nothing more but his cousin to be happy.

 

“Have you heard anything about them? Are they still in Sweden?”

 

“Junhoe didn’t tell you?”

 

“Well, he really kept his word three months ago when he said he won’t bother to call us. Only sent a ing postcard from Egypt bragging how much he enjoys himself with Jinhwan.” Hanbin snorted without the slightest sign of spite in his voice.

 

“Yeah, sounds like him. Jinhwan hyung tries to keep contact with us, but you know, he concentrates more on his time with Junhoe and that’s just fine. But his latest text said they are in Spain.”

 

“The king really admires them, doesn’t he?” Hanbin shook his head laughing. It was something new for Bobby as he’s never heard the vampire’s laugh before but he was now wondering if Hanbin has ever been this cheerful and became rude in only his company?

 

“He does. Junhoe’s big confession wasn’t even a year ago, but uncle already has a soft spot for that kid.”

 

Hanbin smile was bittersweet. “Only if Junhoe’s father would do the same.”

 

“He hasn’t changed his mind yet?” Although Bobby knew the answer, he hoped for some good news on this case.

 

Hanbin had only disappointing response to give. “No, I don’t think he ever will. Only power and rules matter to him, he doesn’t even care that he is losing his daughter too with this attitude and the queen refused to sleep in the same room as he.”

 

“That’s tough, man. I almost feel sorry for him.”

 

Of course he didn’t sympathize with the king, but he thought about how miserable his life could be without being able to love and being loved in return.

 

“Nah, he passed that status when you could feel sorry for him a long time ago.”

 

Bobby hummed and consumed what’s left of his drink. He looked at Hanbin and he didn’t see an enemy (and his worst ally ever) anymore, but a boy who was actually very similar to him and had a chance to be a good friend with if they worked on their relationship too as their love birds did.

 

Bobby still hated himself for his past actions, but with Jinhwan’s forgiveness and his sincere happiness, he was ready to heal too.

 

 

 

 

Fun fact: In the original storyline Hanbin and Bobby were supposed to be together (Jisoo would have been Bobby's fake girlfriend and best friend), but I changed it, mainly because the original idea wasn't Junhwan (it was Junhoe + a girl).

Thanks for reading this! ♥