Chapter 2

My moon belongs to your sun

The tension could be almost cut as the room were filled occupied by a bunch of people didn’t want to be in each other’s company. Bobby took a big sip of his drink trying to fight the urge not to roll his eyes but failed miserably as Hanbin glared daggers at him while listening to Lisa’s grievous sobs. Too bad, he really did try.

 

“Lisa, honey, it’s okay, we’re gonna find them.” Jennie put a protective arm around the girl, attempting to calm her down.

 

“But what if it’s too late already?” Her body shook at the thought.

 

“If it was, then you’d be holding Junhoe’s head right now.” This time, Bobby didn’t do anything to prevent himself from rolling his eyes.

 

Jisoo nudged him gently on the side, showing more sympathy than her boyfriend.

 

“Then why don’t you tell us already what you know? Clearly you have more clues than us.” said Hanbin.

 

Bobby sighed. “They were kidnapped by the rogues.”

 

“Rogues?” Yunhyeong furrowed his eyebrows while Hanbin raised his, tucking his hands in his jean pocket.

 

Before Bobby could have retorted with something inappropriate (as he was planning), Donghyuk began to talk. “Five years ago a large group of wolves rebelled against my father, saying we should reveal ourselves to the humans and make them live by our rules. You most likely didn’t hear anything of this, because it all went down only one night, our army was bigger than theirs.”

 

And of course he left out one detail that started this whole rebellion, but it didn’t matter at the moment when they were all supernatural creatures and not unprotected humans.

 

“And what does that have to do with us? Junhoe?” Hanbin feared to ask this question and hoped that the answer they could get wasn’t anything related to past events only known by a few of them. His expectation was gone at the same second he locked eyes with Bobby.

 

“To cut the story short, their leader died because of Jinhwan and some of them managed to escape and we can’t find them since.”

 

“I still don’t get what this has to do with Junhoe.” Lisa wiped away her tears.

 

“Let’s find them first and worry about this later. I’m gonna call my father, we need him on this one.” Donghyuk glanced at Chanwoo’s contemplative face, feeling sorry for his little brother because he had to be the one with Jinhwan when the rogues ambushed.

 

Yunhyeong agreed with him right away. “Yes, we should notify our king too, he only went on a trip this morning, he couldn’t get too far.”

 

“So we’re just gonna sit here waiting for the kings to come to the rescue?” Lisa started to get too hysterical and Bobby didn’t like it one bit.

 

“No, but we have to be careful, the woman who leads them now is insane…” Donghyuk trailed off.

 

“And that’s the only luck Jinhwan has. He knows how to play her.” Bobby felt relieved by his own statement because as long as he believed in it, he could shut the depressive thoughts out.

 

Hyung is smart.

 

But why did that add Junhoe to the equation? That could terribly mess things up.


 

The princes were sitting silently in the dark, leaving a little distance between themselves, and what was only a couple of centimeters felt like a huge gap to them.

 

Junhoe’s mind was spinning with thoughts, he tried to process the new information he just learned from the lady who nobly left them alone half an hour ago, but he wasn’t able to get over the feeling that this was all his fault.

 

He pursed his eyes and lips together wishing her irritating voice would just disappear from his head.

 

He waited at the train station for straight two hours hoping you would show up, isn’t he cute? Loyal too, you should do this for the one you love. You know what you should do for the one you love if he gets killed?

 

It was fun to watch you know. My baby sinking his teeth into your little pigeon’s neck and tearing his flesh apart, him being too broken-hearted to pick up the fight. And all for that a stupid pregnant woman… Who was delicious if you’re curious!

 

Ah, my dearest vampire, you never loved our little wolf here, did you? Nah, if you did you wouldn’t let your friends meddle in! Ah, such a shame I missed out on a little family drama here.

 

So forgive me my little pigeons but I love reunions so duh, I had to organize one myself!

 

“Stop doing this. It’s exactly what she wants. To break us.” Jinhwan’s voice was small and Junhoe felt a sudden urge to cry. He stared a little longer at the other’s neck, but he wished his eyes weren’t functioning in the dark too.

 

“I didn’t know… about your… I’m…”

 

“No one knows. We kept it under house, covered the traces of the fight.”

 

“So her lover… was the one that attacked you?”

 

“I attacked him, because he was about to kill a pregnant woman.”

 

“If I hadn’t left you…” Junhoe started but Jinhwan didn’t let him to say more.

 

“If you hadn’t left me, you would be only suffering now or already left regretting that you chose me. So no, it wouldn’t be better, stop thinking about this. Don’t let her get into your head because I’m not planning to die today or at all by her little tricks.”

 

To Junhoe, it could be seen as Jinhwan didn’t care, in reality the truth was he cared too much, but he put a shield around himself in the past five years, learning how to care about his well-being too, not only thinking about what was good to others. And being locked in a cell with his former lover he still had feelings for, did not help his case. He couldn’t think that Junhoe still (or ever) loved him. He just couldn’t.

 

The vampire dropped the topic as he saw how the wolf got defensive about it, but he wasn’t planning on quitting it completely, if they survived this, they’ll have to talk eventually, because obviously there were so many things left unsaid between them that needed to be resolved.

 

“Why is she that strange? I mean, I get that she is not totally sane, but she’s different somehow.”

 

“She eats humans, sometimes even drinks their blood.”

 

“She what?!” All the little signs, hungry looks and predator-like behaviour made sense now.

 

“That’s why the rebellion started in the first place. Her name is Tiffany by the way.”

 

“Has she got a normal name like Bobby?” Junhoe didn’t know why he was curious, and hoped Jinhwan wouldn’t misunderstand the grimace on his face which was dedicated to the woman and not to his cousin.

 

“Does it matter if she has?”

 

“Probably not.”

 

Jinhwan waited a couple of minutes, enough for Junhoe to sink back into his depressing thoughts before he spoke up again. It wasn’t his intention to bring up a topic like that, but words seemed to have gone separate ways where he couldn’t control them according to his will, he just blurted out them without realizing what he’s done.

 

“Your girlfriend is really pretty. You look good together.”

 

Junhoe jerked his head up, eyes wide as he stared at Jinhwan in disbelief. “When did you see us?” Of course it had to be at some time at the wedding, but Junhoe was sure that they didn’t interact with Jinhwan (or anyone from the werewolves’ clan) during the evening, and he was very inactive just by sitting beside the girl, not even touching her.

 

“I was heading out to the balcony where you two were quite lost in each other’s company.” Jinhwan cleared his throat, immediately looking away from the vampire, finding the dark walls more interesting.

 

Junhoe frowned as the memories were coming back to him, he didn’t think for a second that someone would pay attention to them as everyone was too immersed in their own little world, and honestly he couldn’t care less, so what if somebody saw them? They’ve got a good show.

 

But there was always an exception, and for Junhoe, it was Jinhwan.

 

“Listen -”

 

A shaky laugh left Jinhwan’s mouth.“You don’t need to justify yourself to me, Junhoe.” He whispered.

 

Junhoe swallowed down the lump in his throat but couldn’t get himself to talking again. Luckily, Jinhwan had more to say.

 

“We need to concentrate on escaping. We’re both strong and together we might have a chance to defeat them if we do things smart. My wounds are almost healed, and your condition wasn’t even that bad from the start, so we should be good soon.”

 

Junhoe always admired the way Jinhwan talked, it wasn’t anything special but he was certain that he nearly got addicted to his gentle voice, mostly because he knew how bright and intelligent the wolf was.

 

“Yes, but you are forgetting something important,” he sighed as a reply, “I’m stronger than the most because I’m a prince, but I still need blood to fully replenish my energy.”

 

Jinhwan didn’t forget about that, he spent so much in the vampire’s company to know everything about him and his habits, about his kind, but he didn’t want to start with offering himself to him, it would be super weird considering they were not lovers anymore, even if this was strictly for the good cause.

 

He opened his mouth to talk, but Junhoe was already one step ahead of him. “Would I become some lunatic too if I drank from them?”

 

“I don’t know, probably? And even though I’m aware you always enjoy a little bloodshed, I advise you to not to try it today.”

 

Junhoe was rarely not up for a good fight, and he couldn’t just let these wolves to get away with how they treated him, not when for him as a prince it was a matter of pride too; however he learned it a long ago that he should trust Jinhwan on his words.

 

“Then what do we do?”

 

“You could… uhm, drink my blood, if that’s still okay with you.” Jinhwan was embarrassed by his own suggestion, but they had not much option left.

 

If he’s still okay with it? Despite knowing how surreal it was, Junhoe chuckled.

 

Jinhwan rolled his eyes. “Now what are you laughing at?” Do you think you are that irresistible that everyone wants you to drink their blood?

 

“Nothing, it’s just… We completely lost contact five years ago, now we’re here, having a pretty decent conversation in spite of our situation, you’re even offering your own blood to me, when I don’t know, you should slap me on the face with a shovel at least.” Junhoe was starting to get a little hysterical.

 

“Do you want me to slap you on the face? I mean I only have claws, but I’m sure it will hurt as well.” Jinhwan tilted his head, his expression clearly showed how annoyed he was now, because they were getting nowhere with this discussion. Junhoe shook his head. “Good. Then can we concentrate on planning? Because if Tiffany got back, she won’t just use stupid words to hurt us.”

 

Junhoe stared at him, he already felt the special taste of Jinhwan’s blood on the top of his tongue and suddenly he became hungry, the craving turned into an unbearable desire he had to fight with all of his powers, because after all this time the wolf still had that big affect on him, and realizing this was terrifying.

 

Junhoe turned his whole body as much as he could towards Jinhwan, his hands were still chained at the two sides of his head so they were useless in this state, but he was able to lean close to the other and that was a little advantage. Jinhwan adjusted to his position too, glancing back at him.

 

“If I take your blood, you need what, half an hour to recover?” The vampire whispered.

 

“I can narrow it down to fifteen minutes.” Jinhwan almost gulped because he felt the hot breath dancing on his skin, but he restrained himself before his stupid actions would ruin everything.

 

“Then pray to time that hates Chanwoo so much to be on our side now.”

 

Jinhwan widened his eyes in surprise, it came to him unexpectedly that Junhoe referred something that irrelevant from the past he only mentioned about his brother maybe twice, he didn’t have a chance to mull over it though, because Junhoe wasn’t holding himself back anymore as his mouth brushed against the bare neck (only a few inches away from the scars), sending shivers down Jinhwan’s spine.

 

They moved in a perfect unison together, Jinhwan tilted his head to the side giving more space to Junhoe, whose lips parted on their own, teeth sank into the flesh. The vampire was far gone when blood flooded into his mouth and he welcomed the familiar taste like a long lost friend.

 

Jinhwan actually gulped this time, biting down on his bottom lip to keep a moan in as his eyes fell shut, his fingers tightened around the cold chains with a light clank, the pain what felt like a pin-prick disappeared as fast as it came and instead pleasure took over his whole body.

 

Before both of them got carried away with emotions, Junhoe leaned back and the last bits of blood off of his lips, red eyes roaming over the wolf’s face, intended to read his expression.

 

“Was it enough?”

 

“Yeah, are you okay?” Junhoe asked, fingers burning with desire to touch his mark on the older’s neck. He felt energetic now.

 

Jinhwan nodded. “You don’t have to worry about me getting the side effects.”

 

“Good.” Junhoe nodded too. “Now we wait for the devil to come kill us?”

 

“No, we go kill her instead.”

 

Junhoe smirked at Jinhwan’s response, satisfied with the answer and the chance he got to make those wolves regret they messed with the royal family, the two could easily beat them one by one, their odds were better if they fought together; plus Jinhwan’s blood made him feel somewhat invincible.

 

They needed to act quickly after they managed to break down the chains, because the loud crack already alarmed the two guards near their door. Fortunately Junhoe snapped their necks before they could even let a whimper out.

 

Jinhwan was a little shocked by him, surprised to see that the vampire got so pumped up by his blood. Or it wasn’t even his blood, just the situation they found themselves in, he could tell Junhoe was determined to defeat their kidnappers, but his enthusiasm would not benefit against Tiffany.

 

Chaos soon rose after they got out of the cell: many rogues came to kill them, but they stopped every single one of them thanks to the element of surprise, although there were a lot more of them than Junhoe expected, Jinhwan must have known how many followers that crazy had.

 

Junhoe was pissed when he turned around to see Jinhwan was nowhere to be found, not even paying attention to the body that slipped out of his hands and fell to the ground, he muttered some obscene words as he ran up the stairs fast of this castle-like, run-down building.

 

Jinhwan knew he should be the one who kills Tiffany, it was like his destiny, haunting him ever since that dark knight when he wasn’t able to fight properly for the humans (and for himself), and he caused all of the misery they were facing now: the leader of the rogues getting killed by his father’s right-hand man, his family’s endless worry for him, and Junhoe getting involved with something he had nothing to do with from the start.

 

Does he really need to kill Tiffany, or would everyone be happier if she kills him?

 

“Wow, wow, wow, look who we have here.” The woman stood right at the entrance, hands on her hips, a smile pulling up on her blood red lips. “Huh, being the one who leaves his lover this time?”

 

“Leave him out of this, your problem is with me, and only me.” Jinhwan shot back, his voice still calm and low.

 

“Oh no, what’s the fun in that?” she giggled, “though I might kill you before him and bragging with your head a little.”

 

Jinhwan had no time to process what was happening when she grabbed him by his arm and threw him out of the door, on the driveway, the small stones piercing his back. He stayed lying still on the ground with closed eyes, heart hammering loudly through his chest as his fingers slowly found his scars again. They always found a way to meet with the wounded skin.

 

“How pathetic!” she started creeping over to him, snarling and showing her sharp teeth, “Now I get what my baby could feel when he took a taste of your skin,” she stopped for a moment, inhaling a loud breath, eyes closing like she imagined the whole thing, “My poor little pigeon, you were always like a little girl, scared and waiting for someone to save you… How bad that this time, there’s just you and me!,” she crouched down on top of Jinhwan, index finger with her claw out his face, “You’re handsome little vampire might be far gone from here, forgetting he ever knew a Kim Jinhwan, I mean, if he has the fortune to be still alive.”

 

Jinhwan clenched his eyes as she was playing with his hair strands, moving onto his face, letting her claw tear his skin up a bit, and then the blood off her finger with overwhelmed joy.

 

“Oh, come on! Fight me, darling! Or you are so miserable on your own that you can’t even do that? Right… you’re left alone, you’ve got no one here to save you.”

 

The sound of her choking came through the air, and when Jinhwan’s eyes popped open, they widened in disbelief, because behind the woman stood Junhoe with a disgusted look on his face, one hand digging in her body. She opened to say something, but only blood spilled out fast speed, like there was a lake needed to be filled.

 

“Wrong, , he’s got me!” And with that, Junhoe pulled her heart out and tossed it aside near Tiffany’s exanimate body.

 

Jinhwan didn’t know how to feel about all of this, it was like a dream, a bad illusion his mind played with him, he was afraid if he reached his hand out to touch Junhoe, he would disappear in the matter of seconds and Tiffany would be there to torture him to death.

 

“Hey, you okay?” Junhoe’s expression softened as he looked at his shocked face, he offered to help him up, and Jinhwan didn’t really know what he was doing even when he was standing. “Jinhwan?” The vampire tried again, looking more concerned now than before. Jinhwan didn’t have any bad injuries, just the little scratch on his face that almost healed, but maybe he misjudged the seriousness of his state?

 

However, his voice made Jinhwan functional again, shaking his head as he finally answered.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine, yeah, fine.” The latter half of his statement was more assuring and firmly said, so Junhoe felt relieved after that. “Thank you… for saving me.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Junhoe said without hesitation, but his worry didn’t go away fully. “Why didn’t you protect yourself? You could’ve died if I was late.”

 

“I…” Although Jinhwan started speaking, he didn’t know the answer himself. “Don’t know. Guess I was just too paralyzed and it looks like I have to work on my past a little more to be able to fight again.” He admitted it.

 

Junhoe smiled a little, but it was bittersweet.

 

“How about we work on it together? On the part that affects both of us?”

 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Jinhwan stepped away, but Junhoe followed.

 

“Why not? I want to explain what really happened five years ago.” He stepped a little closer, into the wolf’s personal space.

 

“Because why now? What more do you have to say about it than Tiffany has already told?” Jinhwan didn’t want to hear it. Not now. Not when he was still emotionally conflicted.

 

“That is my greatest mistake and I regret it ever since.” Junhoe said it easy, like the words were meant for him to use.

 

“Don’t…” Jinhwan sighed, closing his eyes as Junhoe was only a centimeter away from him.

 

“Why not?” Junhoe whispered, fighting with the desire to kiss Jinhwan against the wolf’s will while caressing his face gently. His eyes took a moment to admire the beautiful features of his old love. He wondered if he had become more beautiful or it was just him who saw it that way.

 

“Because I won’t bear it if you give me hope and disappear again.” A teardrop escaped but the vampire was quick to wipe it away.

 

“I won’t.” And with that he leaned in, the moment their lips touched, they gave up everything. Jinhwan didn’t fight his feelings anymore, let them all in as they found their old selves again with the promise they shared through the kiss. They perfectly complemented each other just like they always did, with their hands pulling their bodies together, lips moving in harmony on a passionate pace.

 

But like their great love five years ago, this reunion did not last for a long time either.